• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017

Normally I wouldn't make a thread for something like this but i figured it was interesting enough. A lot of people, myself included, assumed that Big Red Button were the main cause of the game being so bad, but i figured hearing about how ambitious they were about the game only to be completely and utterly fucked over by Sega was enough to warrant a bit of discussion, these poor guys never had a chance, RIP Sonic Origins

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (5 days): Trolling and thread derail
They made a 3D Sonic game. That's what happened.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Saw it, great video, it really could have been a good game if it wasn't for Sega, too bad BRB got all the backlash for it

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
You need to fix that title to what it should be.

But yeah Sega when it comes to Sonic and.....most franchises they are inept.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
"hey can you make all these changes?"

"that's a lot of changes, but yeah, we can work around that"

"ok, great thanks! also, Wii U only, bye."

"aww fuck"

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
User Banned (1 week): hostility, history of similar infractions
Sonic Boom's only contribution to the franchise is producing the greatest animated series to come out of this IP

Another ass-in-mouth first post that tries to come off as clever or witty despite the implication of a 3D sonic title being bad coming off as misinformed or all around only used to incite aggression amongst fans

It sucks that this forum just suddenly doesn't allow discussion of a franchise because meme culture dictates what's good and what isn't good

why can't you just consider the following: going outside, and sitting in the grass, isntead of

instead of posting

Last edited:

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Watched it last night. It's a miracle something playable came out of all that.

The whole "the game is too different!" thing when THAT WAS THE WHOLE POINT IN THE FIRST PLACE was infuriating.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Another dickbreathing first post that tries to come off as clever or witty despite the implication of a 3D sonic title being bad coming off as misinformed or all around only used to incite aggression amongst fans

It sucks that this forum just suddenly doesn't allow discussion of a franchise because meme culture dictates what's good and what isn't good

why can't you just consider the following: going outside, and sitting in the grass, isntead of

instead of posting

"Dickbreathing" jfc. Maybe take your own broken advice dude.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
That's not all to the story. But it's definitely correct as far as I remember it being told to me contemporaneously. BRB's history is incredibly fascinating. I hope one day more of it comes out. There's some surprises in there.

I used to work with a lot of people there, that left Heavy Iron after THQ had massive layoffs.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
It sucks that this game made Bob Rafei go MIA for nearly two years just to avoid the fan backlash. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

And the tale of the studio is a pretty sad one, too.

Apr 8, 2018
Watched this yesterday. What an absolute clusterfuck of a situation BRB was in. Can't help but feel bad for them.

Tamazoid

Oct 28, 2017
I've always wondered about the Nintendo-Sega deal for the three Sonic games. I wonder if there was any monetary incentives or if it was purely Nintendo offering to publish the games.

But Kudos to Big Red Button for somehow getting Cry Engine 3 running the Wii U. That's some miracle work right there.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another dickbreathing first post that tries to come off as clever or witty despite the implication of a 3D sonic title being bad coming off as misinformed or all around only used to incite aggression amongst fans

instead of posting

Uh, i played them all. It didn't end well. Yes i do think 3D Sonic games are terrible, Sonic never made a proper transition to 3D. It used to be one of my favorite series back on the MegaDrive and the SA games are one of my biggest disappointments in gaming. Since then, the games mostly just kept getting worse and worse. Colors and Generation are decent by 3D Sonic standards, but even they suffer from horrible levels. I believe half of generations content is badly design.

"Incite aggression amongst fans" LMAO give me a break. Sorry that my opinion bothers you, but if you are going to get this upset about something so inconsequential like that and claim something so ridiculous like me trying to shut down discussion, then i suggest maybe you should take your own advice and go outside for a bit. Seriously it's not the end of the world.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember how the game was in development for other consoles and kind of shoved onto the WiiU. But that's Sega for ya.

But Kudos to Big Red Button for somehow getting Cry Engine 3 running the Wii U. That's some miracle work right there.
EA actually had Crisis 3 ready for launch on the WiiU supposedly, but just shit canned the release. Seems the engine was able to run on the WiiU, despite how things looked.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Had a solid comic book run before it got cancelled and a great TV show

FWIW Shadow kicks Tails so hard he travels through time which is a better memorable moment than "Sonic kisses that girl"

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
somebody else made a similar video, forgot who. but from that i learned it was actually supposed to be a pretty cool game, just mismanaged to hell

before i thought it was just a lazy cash-in for the 12 and under crowd (though, ultimately, it did end up being that on behest of sega)

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
"Dickbreathing" jfc. Maybe take your own broken advice dude.

I said what I said.

Uh, i played them all. It didn't end well. Yes i do think 3D Sonic games are terrible, Sonic never made a proper transition to 3D. It used to be one of my favorite series back on the MegaDrive and the SA games are one of my biggest disappointments in gaming. Since then, the games mostly just kept getting worse and worse. Colors and Generation are decent by 3D Sonic standards, but even they suffer from horrible levels. I believe half of generations content is padded filler that is badly design.

"Incite aggression amongst fans" LMAO give me a break. Sorry that my opinion bothers you, but if you are going to get this upset about something so inconsequential like that and claim something so ridiculous like me trying to shut down discussion, then i suggest maybe you should take your own advice and go outside for a bit. Seriously it's not the end of the world.

Oh wow imagine if you added this in your first comment, even though that same information would be absolutely irrelevant to the real discussion on how a no-name developer managed to fumble with the Sonic IP worse than what Sonic Team used to do.

Because we definitely need yet another roundtable about why people don't like 3D Sonic games.

Yeah

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I kinda want Sega to let an american company do a Yakuza spinoff just to see wha would Happun

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I said what I said.

Oh wow imagine if you added this in your first comment, even though that same information would be absolutely irrelevant to the real discussion on how a no-name developer managed to fumble with the Sonic IP worse than what Sonic Team used to do.

Because we definitely need yet another roundtable about why people don't like 3D Sonic games.

Yeah

Imagine being this upset. I said what i said.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic Boom's only contribution to the franchise is producing the greatest animated series to come out of this IP

instead of posting

Your posts aggressively defending Sonic the Hedgehog are always the most entertaining part of these threads.

bobbychalkers

Oct 26, 2017
I was really hyped for the reveal trailer. A Sonic game with some PS2-era mascot platformer DNA makes sense for the series if they really wanted to shake things up. Sucks that the development for all of it sounds like they were trying to ice skate uphill. I remember thinking a lot of the effects in the reveal weren't really doable on Wii U.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018

Fucking savage.

I stan SA2 and Generations hard, tho, so I must challenge you to a duel, sir.

My main problem with the gem hunt stages is that the gems are placed via RNG. Also, space. The gem hunts were the one reason why I never bothered finishing the game.

Having them randomly generated does feel kinda lazy, but keeping them in the same spot every time would reduce their replay value to 0.

Maybe that's a good argument against having treasure hunting levels, but I still like 'em.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sonic Adventure 3

Play as a bunch of Sonic characters, reintroduce Silver and Blaze all while ignoring Sonic 2006 and Shadow the Hedgehog ever happened.

Chao Garden 3.0 with mobile game tie in. Transfer Chaos over to mobile game, all while testing in order to determine they want to make a all out Chao Garden game on the side. With future Sonic games offering support to the Mobile game.

Have Nintendo assist with level design, game mechanics, and multiplayer ideas.

Why cant we just have this?

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
The funniest part is Sega asking them to make a radically take on Sonic and then freaking out and forbidding them to do anything different from the norm like backstories or portraying an inventor that wasn't Tails or Eggman.