• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the video uploaded to nintendo's youtube channel has the video's overlay elements at 60fps, but the gameplay footage running at 30fps:

and the trailer itself does not list 60fps as an upgrade, which is present in the video posted on the sonic the hedgehog channel:

uqOnHmL.png

discuss!

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's dumb. How are they still releasing 30fps sonic on a Nintendo platform when it's a remastered Wii game.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This entire remake is weird. Not only does it look worse in parts, but it also seemingly doesn't even run at 60 on Switch despite being a Wii game. Really disappointing.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Lmao

and this is why, even as a massive Nintendo and switch fan, I desperately want a switch pro yesterday.

…. 30 fps Sonic…

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
So on Switch it looks worse than on Wii and does not improve the framerate? The Switch version is useless then.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Since the game is seemingly Epic Games Exclusive I'm pretty much left with the Switch as my only option to play it.

Honestly kinda leaning towards sticking with my Wii copy for now; or at least until the Switch copy hits the bargain bin, as all Sonic games inevitably seem to.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'll probably keep emulating the Wii version with the 60fps mod unless the framerate is unlocked on PC.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao

and this is why, even as a massive Nintendo and switch fan, I desperately want a switch pro yesterday.

…. 30 fps Sonic…
If we can get a late Wii-era Zelda game running at 60 fps on Switch alongside general upgrades, the only thing that's stopping Sonic Colors of all things to be 60 fps on Switch is iffy optimizing, not the absence of a Pro console.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
You'd think they would optimize it better considering it will be the best-selling version.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe you shouldn't have revamped the lighting or improved the graphics...

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Guess I'll grab it on Xbox then! Kind of a bummer and a weird oversight but I bet the budget on this was fairly small and making all the versions more closer with the caveat Switch is 30 FPS was easier to do than make a specialized Switch version that runs at 60 FPS.

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
Ultimate apparently uses the Godot engine, which has no official documentation on console. If true, I could imagine that factoring into performance, especially with lack of console documentation.

There's also a possibility the Switch port didn't get enough in the way of resources to optimise for 60fps and 30 was most realistic target?

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Skyward Sword a Wii remaster has 60fps.

Sega can be a joke sometimes. Now you gonna have people saying the Pro is needed for this game to be 60fps lmao.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the original Wii release only 30 fps too?

Like I understand the disappointment but this is one scenario where the doubled framerate isn't really that much of a big deal.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Skyward Sword a Wii remaster has 60fps.

Sega can be a joke sometimes. Now you gonna have people saying the Pro is needed for this game to be 60fps lmao.
Maybe in another few console generations Sega will be able to do it. Oh well, who needs a good framerate in extremely fast paced action games anyway?

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Doesn't matter much in practice since the original was 30fps and played just fine, but is not less of a bummer they're not achieving something so simple, considering it's such an old game running in much better hardware now.

And, of course, this will end being the best selling version of all of them, despite of shortcomings, so it does encourage SEGA always going for that route.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Terrible. Original version plays awful in 30FPS, I had to use Dolphin plus the "cheat" code to have it run at 60FPS. Insane that this version makes the same mistake, oh well, I'll get it on PS4... or just play it emulated on my PC...

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
So weird how Sega keeps treating Switch versions of Sonic as if they did AA Trilogy Xbox numbers instead of being the lead SKU in sales.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
PS4 version it is then. You can never be too sure with Switch ports. Now that the cat is out of the bag, I can put in my pre-order.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
If there's an option of 60fps, I'll always choose that over anything else. In this case, it's any platform option over Switch for Colors Ultimate. Though I wasn't really interested in dropping 40 bones for it in 2021.

DarĂ­o

Oct 27, 2017
Ultimate apparently uses the Godot engine, which has no official documentation on console. If true, I could imagine that factoring into performance, especially with lack of console documentation.

There's also a possibility the Switch port didn't get enough in the way of resources to optimise for 60fps and 30 was most realistic target?
The Godot part is still speculation FWIW, but if it was indeed the case, the bigger problem wouldn't have been the lack of documentation, it would've been that there's no Switch version of the engine in the open source repository. Either they ported it themselves or licensed somebody else's port (LinkedIn profile suggests it's the former).

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Probably just pick it up used in a few months on the cheap then. Can't be bothered to get it running 60fps on Switch than I can't be bothered to pay full price.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
That's fucking hilarious

PC version it is... once it releases on Steam, that is

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Some individuals have said that people played themselves by hyping up the Switch Pro in their minds, but really they just want their Switch games to be able to run nicely and were willing to pay more for the ability to do so. What a bummer.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Some individuals have said that people played themselves by hyping up the Switch Pro in their minds, but really they just want their Switch games to be able to run nicely and were willing to pay more for the ability to do so. What a bummer.

This is a situation where it's not the hardware's fault and it's completely on the developer.

We're talking about a port of a Wii game, for Christ's sake.