• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
At the end, I'm happy that Tee is the future of Sonic and Jacques is the past, I feel like Tee has a lot of talent and I hope he gots to compose a full fledged Sega game.

I mean ya'll need to listen to his album, it SLAPS ! (and yeah he sings too)

Village

Oct 25, 2017
There's that one unknown dude who composed the Tornado Chase song in SA1.

I will listen to that even that first everytime.

Who made this, because i'm also bumping this

Though shout outs to richards for making the sonic 3d blast " You really are an asshole " song. That shit kinda bump

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Considering he is much weaker than the composers of the Mega Drive Sonics and Crush 40, he should not be touting his own horn as much ;).

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What a shame. Besides Sonic R, the Saturn version of 3D Blast also has a great soundtrack. Didn't even know he was still making Sonic music. If all he was doing was making those subpar Sonic R remixes, then he's not really needed anymore.

TJ Davis carried the Sonic R ost IMO.
Yeah, without her voice, Sonic R would be nothing.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
way past not cool

Really though, he sounds like a dick. Feel sorry for folks like Bentley and Tee for having to put up with his bullshit.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Fuck me, really? This is legit heartbreaking. Sonic R and Sonic 3D Blast Saturn are two of the greatest soundtracks of all time (not game soundtracks, soundtracks) and Jacques' work in general was a huge part of my childhood and adolescence. I had so, so much respect for him and his craft.

But no body of work ever justifies this kind of behavior, especially when gaming is full of other musicians who are just as talented on top of not being assholes. This just makes me appreciate folks like Yoko Shimomura, Grant Kirkhope, David Wise, and Tee Lopes that much more — all wildly, incredibly talented to a person, but also humble, appreciative, and kind (at least based on my interactions with them).

God dammit, man.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
I hope his work gets remixed even more at this point just to spite him, if that's the sort of ass he's going to be about it.

Didn't even know he was still making Sonic music. If all he was doing was making those subpar Sonic R remixes, then he's not really needed anymore.
The biggest thing he's done for the series in the last decade is Transformed, but he's had a hand in the arrangement and engineering of a handful of tracks scattered across other games beyond the ones he headlined.

edit: never mind, he also worked on all three Boom games, which I had momentarily forgotten existed.

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Not counting nostalgia, TSR music is better than Transformed, when you look at original tracks. It also has the best not-Castlevania Castlevania track ever.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well to his credit that remix really is kind of bad.

But goddamn, saying bad things about "Dreams of an absolution"!?? That's bad.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck me, really? This is legit heartbreaking. Sonic R and Sonic 3D Blast Saturn are two of the greatest soundtracks of all time (not game soundtracks, soundtracks) and Jacques' work in general was a huge part of my childhood and adolescence. I had so, so much respect for him and his craft.

But no body of work ever justifies this kind of behavior, especially when gaming is full of other musicians who are just as talented on top of not being assholes. This just makes me appreciate folks like Yoko Shimomura, Grant Kirkhope, David Wise, and Tee Lopes that much more — all wildly, incredibly talented to a person, but also humble, appreciative, and kind (at least based on my interactions with them).

God dammit, man.

Jacques definitely used to be up there with Kirkhope and Wise in terms of people I'd check out a game for just to hear their work. Probably stems from how much Sonic R I played as a kid, even my parents still know the soundtrack from hearing it blast from the PC speakers so frequently.

Speaking of Kirkhope, he's basically the opposite of this guy. Super active on social media, frequently interacts with his fans, always humble, and never has a bad word to say about anyone who's not rich and orange. He's always been my favorite composer but it's even nicer to know he's a wonderful person too.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Man, that's such a disappointing behaviour. Why would you be so fiendish against fellow composers? Let them thrive.

I was just listening to the soundtrack of Metropolis Street Racer too

Can't see myself supporting him in light of what I'm seeing.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohtani and Senoue on their weakest days are better than Jacques, before this, I liked his work but in the grand scheme of things he wasn't as high up as others. Jacques can tumble off that list.

He was never even on the level of Fumie Kumatani or Kenichi Tokoi anyway.

High five! I miss Kumatani, she made such damn good music, her work on the first two riders and PS2 Shinobi was amazing.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to buy Sonic Mania's soundtrack in flac anywhere? Amazon only has it in mp3.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fumie kumatani absolutely owned, but given that she still did a few small things for sega/sonic even after officially leaving and given that she's (as far as i know) not doing music anywhere else now, i kinda assume she left for personal/life reasons rather than career reasons

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
No idea who he is, but sounds like a huge asshole.
Makes me wanna avoid anything he's worked at.

Oct 26, 2017
That woman is an absolute treasure and SEGA were dumb to just let her leave.

Did we ever find out why she left and what she did since? Colors was her final work, and sadly not one of her good ones IMO. Then again outside of Reach for the Stars and eventually Tropical Resort, I was never big on Colors' soundtrack. :P Kumatani was one of the greatest in the Adventure era. She did all the Chao themes, Mystic Ruins, all of Shadow's themes including the GOAT Supporting Me (Biolizard). Absolute master(mistress?).

I'm in the camp that adored Jacques' early works but found his later work (like in the Boom games) fairly generic. What is it with composers not retaining their greatness in the 90's? :(

Either way, while I wasn't exactly a lover of Lopes' remix, the bullying bit mentioned by Bentley is fucked up. THAT'S petty and absolutely childish, like what the fuck? Though IMO his response to Lopes' wasn't nearly as bad as that's just super harsh but I can respect that he wasn't happy with it (as implied, neither was I), but agreed that he really worded it badly and should've been more respectful and realized that Lopes wasn't the one who didn't credit him, that was Sega who did that since it's on their channel. I guess Lopes could've tweeted that Jacques was the original composer and that likely would've solved everything, but eh, maybe it wouldn't have mattered to Jacques then, who knows.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Did we ever find out why she left and what she did since? Colors was her final work, and sadly not one of her good ones IMO. Then again outside of Reach for the Stars and eventually Tropical Resort, I was never big on Colors' soundtrack. :P Kumatani was one of the greatest in the Adventure era. She did all the Chao themes, Mystic Ruins, all of Shadow's themes including the GOAT Supporting Me (Biolizard). Absolute master(mistress?).
No idea why. She doesn't seem to have much in the way of an online presence either. She's just gone. Kenichi Tokoi seems to be in a similar boat too; dude is being relegated to less and less prominent music it seems. Maybe they're being pushed aside by Tomoya Ohtani which, to be honest, I never super cared for his work. =/

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn that sucks to hear, I loved his compositions not only in Sonic but in other Sega games over the years.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017

God dammit, man.
Just gonna quote because I don't think I need to add any more to this. Really sucks to constantly have people you've respected since childhood turn out to be assholes.

Did we ever find out why she left and what she did since?
Try as I might, no amount of searching has turned up any credited work since and she has no presence on social media. I can only assume she isn't in the industry any more.

No idea why. She doesn't seem to have much in the way of an online presence either. She's just gone. Kenichi Tokoi seems to be in a similar boat too; dude is being relegated to less and less prominent music it seems. Maybe they're being pushed aside by Tomoya Ohtani which, to be honest, I never super cared for his work. =/
Kenichi Tokoi is more aligned with Phantasy Star now, he did a large portion of the IDOLA (mobile game) soundtrack as well as the big finale song for Phantasy Star Online 2's Episode 3 (which was the end of a long and important arc, and probably the best PS ending theme in over a decade).

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry Jacques, I've listened to your music since I was a kid but you need to wash your fucking mouth before bringing up Tee Lopes' name like that.
Dude is a fucking treasure to the Sonic franchise, don't you dare to bully him.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Damn I love his Sonic R and SASRT soundtracks but c'mon bruh why you gotta be like this?

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's especially surprising considering how poor his work was in Transformed or Generations, where he did just take the OG track and slap a new bassline (Transformed) or grab the original and take out some instruments (Generations). Felt like he didn't really want to work with that, so if you add the bullying... yeah fuck that.

I remember a dev in Sonic Stadium forums saying what Steel said. They had to remove the OST and rush a new one.

This sucks and it hit me hard because I love Transformed and Sonic R ost.

Although the real question is why I cant play Generation and Unleashed in modern hardware, why Sega WHY?

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible to buy Sonic Mania's soundtrack in flac anywhere? Amazon only has it in mp3.
I believe the FLAC version was an exclusive bonus if you buy the vinyl, but I don't know if you got the full soundtrack or just the selected songs present on the vinyl (I never opened mine to get the code).

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
I need to figure out how to become a composer for games. I already do music and I can write good instrumentals. I need to get in the door and out dick this dude to bring him down a few levels lol.

But seriously hire me someone.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
f0328866eff0162f9bf177153b9c68e0.png
OK Sonic boomer.

Seriously, as much as I've enjoyed Jacques' music in the past, that's really unprofessional of him. An apology is in order.