• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
8ctg2aN.jpg

We've had other threads for major forums/scene sites shutting down, so I figure this probably deserves a topic. Sonic Cult officially shut down today. Going to the site displays a large, stretched Sonic sprite from his death animation. Long time maintainer Saz gave the reason in IRC:

[20:04:18] <@Sazpaimon> I upgraded php on the server and couldn't be assed to retrofit all the old code for it
[20:04:29] <@Sazpaimon> so i killed it
[20:04:57] <@Sazpaimon> literally every piece of software on both sonic and x cult was incompatible
[20:06:02] <voice> php5?
[20:06:09] <@Sazpaimon> php 5.3
[20:06:19] <@Sazpaimon> pretty much the last version the site could run on
[20:06:46] <voice> oddly enough the only thing that broke on rsn when I bumped to 7.x was a lot of the files had <? instead of <?php and apparently thats no longer acceptable
[20:07:04] <@Sazpaimon> my dude
[20:07:13] <@Sazpaimon> sonic cult's cms was literally written for php 4
[20:07:45] <voice> sounds like fun
[20:08:02] <@Sazpaimon> i would also need to upgrade invision board
[20:08:12] <@Sazpaimon> which means paying for a license for invision board
[20:08:21] <@Sazpaimon> which means porting the old skins to invision board
[20:09:22] <voice> never understood why people didn't just go with free shit like phpBB
[20:09:35] <voice> even the pay-for boards end up having massive security holes
[20:09:42] <@Sazpaimon> that doesn't detract my second point
[20:10:01] <voice> oh I understand the skins problem
[20:10:08] <@Overlord> oh
[20:10:26] <@Overlord> Sad to hear, it's the end of an era

Sonic Cult was one of the most important, and also controversial Sonic hacking sites. Arguably, without it, things like Sonic Mania might have never existed. But it also brought about a lot of ForumWarz nonsense and general debauchery. I saw it described today as the Sonic Hacking Scene's "edgelord teen years," which makes me chuckle.

Definitely end of an era, though.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like my man needs to learn regular expressions!

I can't comment at all on how hard it would be to migrate versions, as web programming is my admitted blind spot, but I think the larger problem is finding someone to actually do it. Sonic Cult has sat unused for basically 10 years now. Most of the scene has migrated over to Sonic Retro, and what little didn't are at places like SSRG or maybe Sonic Stadium.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Wow I remember this site! Lots of Sonic Sotes have shut down lately. Glad Sonic Stadium and Sonic HQ still exist.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sonic has a cult? And the cult has ended?

I'm not seeing the problem here.

It's sad when a forum closes and a community is split ):

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
uqKLpps.gif

I think Sonic-Cult probably generated more bad memories than good ones for me.

My one real memory of Sonic Cult was that I was the first person to piss off Pachuka enough to shut it down. I had managed to get some IRC numbers for some Sega employees who worked with Pach, and was hitting them up with regards to Sonic Xtreme. One dude actually opened up to me.... but only after he'd asked who I knew. I gave them Pach's real name, and he apparently got in a little trouble as it revealed Sonic Cult to Sega haha. I was like 16 at the time, so oops. Anywho, Pach got pissed and shut down Sonic Cult and put up a page telling everybody to harass me for "causing sonic cult to shut down." It didn't really work, though, and Sonic Cult was back up in like a week. This was pretty much right after Sonic Cult had come online.

I never really signed up for Sonic Cult. Most of my interactions with them were from forum raids by Culters on SSRG. Which was all silly, because it was the same group of people. It'd be like ResetEra's gaming side raiding the off-topic section, lol.

That said, by nature of the Sonic scene, I knew a ton of posters from Sonic Cult and still do to this day.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I legit thought it was about a real cult before clicking the thread...
The fact that I thought it was plausible for a second is concerning.

THube

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. Sonic Cult was one of the first sites I ever browsed regularly. Wild stuff. Hope Wayback Machine was able to capture the whole site (I'd imagine it has at this point...)

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
RIP. Sonic Cult was my first exposure to Sonic hentai back in the old days. For that it will always have a piece of my heart.

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was gonna be a trollthread posted by someone trying to shit on Sonic fans, thank heavens it isn't

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
While it may not be acceptable, it should have still been possible to enable short tags in php 7. There probably might have been other incompatibilities though

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I guess people need a bit more history to understand why Cult was such a big site. The Sonic Hacking Scene began, essentially, in 1997 with Area51. That ran for several years, until people started to congregate on a more centralized website, with an actual forum (Area51 operated like the old web, where you'd email a webmaster and he'd post it as content on the site). That forum was hosted on emulationzone.org and was called SSRG - the Sonic Stuff Research Group. This is where people like Taxman (Christian Whitehead) and Stealth (Simon Thomley), both of Sonic Mania fame, are from. Early on, most of the research involved digging up old magazine scans of prototype levels, trying to recreate said levels in klik n play, and save state hacking -- taking Sega Genesis emulator save states and changing values (essentially game genie/pro action replay stuff) to access deleted content.

Well, around the time SSRG formed, the webmaster of Emulationzone got his hands on the Sonic the Hedgehog 2 beta cartridge and managed to dump it. This pretty much changed the entire scene. It caused a lot of forum drama, and eventually people split from SSRG. They migrated to Sonic Cult in 2002, which was brand new from a brand new scenester named Pachuka. Pach had instant cred, because he actually worked at Sega as a tester at the time, and thus had his hands on a lot of stuff. So a sort of competition between SSRG and Sonic Cult formed.

Cult would dump a new prototype, then SSRG would make some big discovery, like cracking an encryption type needed to edit art in Sonic the Hedgehog. Then Cult would figure out offset values for all sorts of shit in the Sonic Rom, and SSRG would dump a prototype. This continued for years, and really drove and organized the Sonic hacking scene into what it is today.

Cult was known for it's aggressive, 4-chan style humor. It advertised itself as "for adults." It was, truthfully, pretty childish. But a lot of legitimate mega drive hacking research came out of there. All this stuff isn't just the genesis of the Sonic hacking scene today, but arguably the entire Sega Megadrive demoscene.

Neat stuff back then.

callmeCata

Oct 27, 2017
Regular expressions: for when you have one problem and try to fix it, and now you have two problems.
I mean the problem of <? needs to be replaces with <?php can be done with a find and replace. Its very unlikely that it would conflict with much. Migrating all the other shit over is the real problem here.

Oct 27, 2017
So I guess people need a bit more history to understand why Cult was such a big site. The Sonic Hacking Scene began, essentially, in 1997 with Area51. That ran for several years, until people started to congregate on a more centralized website, with an actual forum (Area51 operated like the old web, where you'd email a webmaster and he'd post it as content on the site). That forum was hosted on emulationzone.org and was called SSRG - the Sonic Stuff Research Group. This is where people like Taxman (Christian Whitehead) and Stealth (Simon Thomley), both of Sonic Mania fame, are from. Early on, most of the research involved digging up old magazine scans of prototype levels, trying to recreate said levels in klik n play, and save state hacking -- taking Sega Genesis emulator save states and changing values (essentially game genie/pro action replay stuff) to access deleted content.

Well, around the time SSRG formed, the webmaster of Emulationzone got his hands on the Sonic the Hedgehog 2 beta cartridge and managed to dump it. This pretty much changed the entire scene. It caused a lot of forum drama, and eventually people split from SSRG. They migrated to Sonic Cult in 2002, which was brand new from a brand new scenester named Pachuka. Pach had instant cred, because he actually worked at Sega as a tester at the time, and thus had his hands on a lot of stuff. So a sort of competition between SSRG and Sonic Cult formed.

Cult would dump a new prototype, then SSRG would make some big discovery, like cracking an encryption type needed to edit art in Sonic the Hedgehog. Then Cult would figure out offset values for all sorts of shit in the Sonic Rom, and SSRG would dump a prototype. This continued for years, and really drove and organized the Sonic hacking scene into what it is today.

Cult was known for it's aggressive, 4-chan style humor. It advertised itself as "for adults." It was, truthfully, pretty childish. But a lot of legitimate mega drive hacking research came out of there. All this stuff isn't just the genesis of the Sonic hacking scene today, but arguably the entire Sega Megadrive demoscene.

Neat stuff back then.

Serious question if the site started back in 1997 what was there reaction to the cancellation of the goat Sonic SATAM

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Neat stuff back then.

I started lurking the modding/hacking forums way back when you were still active on Penny Arcade Forums and was talking about Sonic modifications back then. I mostly lurk Retro now but even those forums seem to be slowing down now. One thing I've noticed though is newcomers seem to get a lot more cranky responses now, but maybe everyone is starting to run out of new things since the startup difficulty to get tools online increases as the games get more complex?

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Hulen is the type of Sonic fan who would read TSSZ, not Sonic Cult.

I'm always surprised and impressed by the continued existence of TSSZ. It's just a news site. No forums or community or anything, just a site that reports on Sonic the Hedgehog news.

And it's been around for 20 years.

Oct 25, 2017
rip sonic cult, i posted on there like 20 times when i was 12.

back in the day, there was some pretty interesting info on x-cult and the sonic-cult homepages, never really was too fond of the forums though.

I still post on Retro occasionally, and pretty much just eternally idle in #retro, #sega and #tcrf

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Serious question if the site started back in 1997 what was there reaction to the cancellation of the goat Sonic SAM

This isn't really that sonic scene, man. This is the Sonic hacking scene. Rom hackers, crackers, electrical engineering. The geeky hyper technical side of things. This is pretty much entirely separate from the general Sonic fandom that follows the games and cartoons and comics and stuff. As such, nobody really talked about that. Most people didn't watch the cartoons or read the comics. There were always some fans of that stuff, yeah, but they posted on other types of sites. The closest to that stuff today would be, like TSSZ or maybe Sonic Stadium.

This is really more in line with demoscene, or I guess what people today would call homebrew. This was like early indie scene stuff. Several people from that community now are actual computer scientists, electrical engineers, and professional game developers.

We spent our time posting tutorials to learn binary, or m68000 programming. It was actually something that was really, really fascinating to grow up along side. I've been part of that community for 21 years now. That's a long time to be part of a web community.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I started lurking the modding/hacking forums way back when you were still active on Penny Arcade Forums and was talking about Sonic modifications back then. I mostly lurk Retro now but even those forums seem to be slowing down now. One thing I've noticed though is newcomers seem to get a lot more cranky responses now, but maybe everyone is starting to run out of new things since the startup difficulty to get tools online increases as the games get more complex?

Most of the discussion these days is on IRC/Discord. The SSRG/SonicRetro/TCRF channels are pretty much active 24/7.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shoulda figured

I still think IRC > Discord because Discord starts getting really annoying when everything is a server and each server has 20 goddamn subchannels

I use IRC. I'm not chaning my ways lol.

Although I haven't been on in a while because a firefox update killed the chatzilla plugin and I've been too lazy to register xchat lol.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Cult in its heyday going scorched earth on every other Sonic hacking/research site (and basically anybody in the outgroup) never sat well with me, so it's a little hard to celebrate any part of its memory given that stench? IIRC they basically mob-chased the SSRG guy (one of the guys?) who decompiled the Sonic 1 source off the internet because of ... reasons(?) ... (I'm probably partially misremembering, this was a long time ago. But this would not have been the worst offense that mob got up to)

There's no doubt some talented people came out of that community -- but it's also true that a lot of talented people came out of the Sonic community, to the extent that it'd be surprising if you picked a popular forum from back then and didn't find some folks who had gone on to significant professional success in the games industry or an adjacent field.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a nasty place. :/

It kinda was, and it kinda wasn't. The forums and general vibe were always very try-hard. But a lot of really, really cool information came out on that site. Today there are things like Wikis, but this was before all that. It was like wikipedia for some very specific, very technical stuff, that made it unlike really any other place on the internet at the time (except SSRG haha). It was at just the right time when I had gone through enough growing pains in computer programming that I was no longer a beginner, but didn't know where to go to keep learning. This stuff gave me a real direction to take. I still think very highly of it all, the actual site itself notwithstanding.

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I use IRC. I'm not chaning my ways lol.

Although I haven't been on in a while because a firefox update killed the chatzilla plugin and I've been too lazy to register xchat lol.

I mostly use Discord as a replacement for Skype calls because Skype was killing my computer and it's even worse on phone, and it is nice I can just paste screencaps/images right into chat and It Works(tm) Otherwise yeah I prefer IRC.

As for the Penny Arcade forums I only post in the Rock Band thread now. I think it's technically the longest running consistent community on the forums at this point.

JC Lately

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic Cult was one of the most important, and also controversial Sonic hacking sites. Arguably, without it, things like Sonic Mania might have never existed. But it also brought about a lot of ForumWarz nonsense and general debauchery.

Hey man, ForumWarz was legit browser game back in the day, don't sully its name with this!

OT: TBH, i though the site had died, or at least lost relevance, in the Sonic hacking scene years ago.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

By the by - that engine I showed you way back in 2007? I've still been working on it the entire time. 11 years now. That includes 3 full rewrites. These days it's written in ANSI C and SDL with OpenGLES, and there is a dreamcast port. It's super portable and can run on mobile phones and linux and all sorts of embedded platforms. It is extremely performant. And it can do a lot of shit now. I use it as the base for a lot of projects these days.

In fact, I was working on it earlier today:

Dbbu7C0UwAAyMuL.jpg:large

megachao24

Oct 25, 2017
It was pretty edgelordy, but Sonic Cult was one of the first hacking/research sites I've followed. Guess after years of inactivity and sites like Sonic Retro taking off it was most likely bound to happen.

I suspect The GHZ isn't too far behind.

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By the by - that engine I showed you way back in 2007? I've still been working on it the entire time. 11 years now. That includes 3 full rewrites. These days it's written in ANSI C and SDL with OpenGLES, and there is a dreamcast port. It's super portable and can run on mobile phones and linux and all sorts of embedded platforms. It is extremely performant. And it can do a lot of shit now. I use it as the base for a lot of projects these days.

That's awesome, and yes I remember you posting all the screenshots and details about that. I didn't maintain my game engines from back then but I DO have a website-"game"-display engine I used for online projects that my friend/business partner still jokes that it has code left over from one of the PAforum project websites from way back then