• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mo60

Oct 25, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
I played and beat forces 100% recently and it's an okay game. It's far from the worst sonic game, but I do wish the controls and level design were better and the game had more meat to it. I have definitely seen gameplay of worse sonic games and played worse sonic games then forces.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
I 100%ed Forces a couple of weeks ago. I have problems with it, such as the "drop like a rock" physics and the overly simplistic stages, but overall I still had fun with it. I've played worse, and since Mania exists, I don't feel the need to hate on Forces too much. I liked it better than Lost World anyway.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find it hard to believe Huelen likes this game. Sonic Unleashed this is not. I don't get it. He rags on Colours and Generations saying how much better Unleashed was, but THIS is the game he comes to bat for? I don't get it.

If I remember correctly the reason why Huelen thinks Sonic Unleashed is better than Generation or Colours is because...Sonic can crawl in Unleashed, something that was virtually pointless in the HD version and was only useful in the temple stages in the Wii version as it prevented Sonic from transforming into the Werehog.

I personally like the day stages of Unleashed but Generation is so much better due to how much Sonic Team improved upon it and kept the game play flowing.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, hold up. Before Sonic Mania came out the Sonic Boom tv show was the best thing Sonic had going for it since Generations came out.
Eh, no.

Sonic boom isn't bad or disrespectful by anymeans, but its not great. And the episode being referenced in particular is notably one of the worse ones, its show cases generally every issue the show has. Which can be boiled down into points

The show has writing problems, and instead of fixing them and toning down the jokes to make better narratives they make worse jokes
And the characters whether do their own or corporate influences might simultaneously be weird off shoots of the characters they are based on, at the same time trying to still be those characters with out ever establishing a reasonable identity for the characters or world established, even as a comedy show.

Not gonna get into whole speal, but its not that good, or good really. Its just not the worst thing in the world, and I don't wanna give it credit for being not offensive. When the archie sonic universe comics up until very recently were a thing. I wont mention the mainline archie sonic comics because even post reboot those were bad for reasons to long to explain right now. But universe was great featured a bunch of characters and is a general tonal model for how the series should be going forward, it was allowed to be cool when it wanted to be , respected the characters and was often funny when it wanted to be to. It was a much more successful version of sonic boom than sonic boom ever was. It even had the added bonus of for the most part not having the dumb freedom fighters in it. Its generally a guide tone to what sonic should be, story wise as a franchise right now. And I think that's much more worth mention than a cartoon that sega and cartoon network let burn out that's the remnant of franchise expansion venture gone wrong.

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Here are the OCs I created in the process to get the Platinum Trophy. Nothing amazing but I wanted to show them anyway:

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
I get actually angry when I think of Sonic Forces because I dislike it that much.

I feel really confused when I think about it. Like, this is the main Sonic Team, releasing a game that isn't really glitchy, doesn't really have any filler content, had a long enough development cycle, and follows the already successful Generations formula. Yet it fucking blows. Like what happened? This game didn't have the issues that any of the Sonic games since Adventure 2 that ended up bad were plagued with. What happened?

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Amazon was offering $21 for trade for like 1 day and I jumped on it. Not bad considering I got it for $18 originally. I just hated everything about the game.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel really confused when I think about it. Like, this is the main Sonic Team, releasing a game that isn't really glitchy, doesn't really have any filler content, had a long enough development cycle, and follows the already successful Generations formula. Yet it fucking blows. Like what happened? This game didn't have the issues that any of the Sonic games since Adventure 2 that ended up bad were plagued with. What happened?

Well, when you say it, the game kinda does have these problems, but they aren't as obvious as something like 06.

• The game's physics don't really make much sense and don't really flow. Plus, Wispons are either utterly useless (Cube) or utterly broken (Drill). Just look at Aqua Road.

• The game has LOADS of filler stuff. The Secret and Extra stages are just...lazy. They are 25 seconds long and have blocky designs and cheap deathtraps. They remind me of Super Mario Maker's worst levels. The QTE sections are also the definition of filler.

• I bet the game didn't really have a long dev cycle. Most of the levels are just cut really short and there aren't too many locales. Park Avenue heavily reuses Sunset Heights geometry.

• They didn't really follow the Generations formula. They tried to squeeze the Generations formula to the Lost World gameplay engine. Dario ff found that many Lost World glitches found their way into Forces. Also, the homing attack has changes and you can't drift anymore.

OP
OP
Redhead On Moped
Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
Right......

You at least still think Unleashed is better than this, right?
I think Unleashed is the greatest Sonic game of all time. Forces is definitely in my top 5 favorite titles now though. It's fun playing with yourself and a character you love, together. It's rare for me to enjoy a character creator. And with character creators, I usually end up making other characters. Not only did I make a lot of characters, I made "me" too, something that I am only very rarely able to pull off well in a game. It was shocking and fun.

Sonic Forces is simply the 1 game released this year that I never stopped smiling throughout my playthrough with it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Redhead On Moped
Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
Whilst I think that's a ridiculous statement, I at least somewhat get it. The game does have something. A lot of things ruin the game, but when it's good it is gooooood.

Forces though? Sorry but I can't even remotely comprehend the love. It has basically nothing going for it.
It has the power of friendship. That and all the collectibles, music, and trials are super-addicting. Some of those time attack challenges are SOOOO hard, but satisfying.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I think Unleashed is the greatest Sonic game of all time.
I just replayed it on PS3 a month ago and the game is a piece of crap.

That said, I could totally see the passion and desire to make a great game showing in it and I do love the Hedgehog engine. It's just, the game is still rushed, certain core movement features gets Sonic/Werehog stuck in their animation cycle making split-second reactions impossible and for the love of god, whyyyyyyyyy would you make Werehog Sonic unable to stop his forward momentum in midair and why would you make each Werehog stage as physically long as a Sonic stage making them take 30 minutes. Also, screw Eggmanland but this time I beat it with zero game-overs and an S-rank.

All things considered though there are still things I prefer about Forces. It's more quick and to the point and its music is more upbeat. All this said though, the insanely low scores of 3/10 from the likes of IGN and Gamespot back then was some real Koolaid, sunglass-wearing "cool2hateSonic" circlejerk.

To people comparing Lost World to this game, yes I believe Lost World started the Hedgehog Engine 2 and they appropriated that for this game, but I actually found that the movement of Sonic feels more similar to Colors than Generations or Lost World, except the fact that the double-jump is very Lost World esque.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
Well, when you say it, the game kinda does have these problems, but they aren't as obvious as something like 06.

• The game's physics don't really make much sense and don't really flow. Plus, Wispons are either utterly useless (Cube) or utterly broken (Drill). Just look at Aqua Road.

• The game has LOADS of filler stuff. The Secret and Extra stages are just...lazy. They are 25 seconds long and have blocky designs and cheap deathtraps. They remind me of Super Mario Maker's worst levels. The QTE sections are also the definition of filler.

• I bet the game didn't really have a long dev cycle. Most of the levels are just cut really short and there aren't too many locales. Park Avenue heavily reuses Sunset Heights geometry.

• They didn't really follow the Generations formula. They tried to squeeze the Generations formula to the Lost World gameplay engine. Dario ff found that many Lost World glitches found their way into Forces. Also, the homing attack has changes and you can't drift anymore.

Wait, what?! Whatttttttt? I'm a bit confused on this. I thought this was largely taking Generations' engine and just building a sequel to it. I mean, the physics are very clearly changed in a very negative way, but I was almost certain this game was just taking the Generations engine and building off of it. That seemed like the idea from the very first trailer.

Anyways, while it clearly has glitches, it definitely isn't that glitchy. The physics are incredibly bad, but the game can be completed without encountering any major negative glitches, and the levels never felt like they couldn't be completed because of them. This is clearly a completed product in a way that some previous bad Sonic games are not.

The filler is definitely of the same breed as Generations: short gimmicky stages that recycle assets and are largely skippable. I was more saying that it doesn't have the level of filler that Adventure, 06, or Unleashed had, nor is the filler required to progress.

As for the long development cycle, this game started development around the release of Lost World in 2013. That's 4 years in development. Which is why it is just confusing that this game is so lacking in content. Did they have engine troubles? The game looks fine, but not so significantly better than Generations to explain why its so short.

Indigo Rush

Nov 8, 2017
Wait, what?! Whatttttttt? I'm a bit confused on this. I thought this was largely taking Generations' engine and just building a sequel to it. I mean, the physics are very clearly changed in a very negative way, but I was almost certain this game was just taking the Generations engine and building off of it. That seemed like the idea from the very first trailer.

Nope. Hackers took the game apart and found that it's using the same engine as Sonic Lost World. The controls and physics were modified (in a half-hearted way) to resemble Generations' modern levels. This is why they feel almost nothing alike.

It's far from the iteration on the Generations formula it's advertised as. Imagine taking the engine from Sonic Rush, removing the boost mechanics and calling it a Classic Sonic game. I mean... that'd be silly. Right?

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
Nope. Hackers took the game apart and found that it's using the same engine as Sonic Lost World. The controls and physics were modified (in a half-hearted way) to resemble Generations' modern levels. This is why they feel almost nothing alike.

It's far from the iteration on the Generations formula it's advertised as. Imagine taking the engine from Sonic Rush, removing the boost mechanics and calling it a Classic Sonic game. I mean... that'd be silly. Right?

Holy shit. I know the backstory with Sonic 4-it was originally a mobile game that they decided to make into Sonic 4 to increase sales or something-but that's such a strange decision to make with Forces. Did they maybe upgrade the Hedgehog Engine with Lost World to a point where it'd be harder to go back to the groundwork they laid in Generations or something?

Toa Axis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Holy shit. I know the backstory with Sonic 4-it was originally a mobile game that they decided to make into Sonic 4 to increase sales or something-but that's such a strange decision to make with Forces. Did they maybe upgrade the Hedgehog Engine with Lost World to a point where it'd be harder to go back to the groundwork they laid in Generations or something?
Honestly, I don't think there's a good answer for this (that we know of, at least). Game engines are ultimately toolsets at the end of the day, and toolsets change depending on the task at hand. Sometimes those tools are modified to suit specific tasks, and it was with Lost World.

Before I move on, while game engines are often suited to cater to certain experiences, they are malleable. Creative Assembly is known for creating RTS games, so their toolset is mainly tailored to creating RTS'. However, they also created Alien Isolation, which is a first person horror game sporting a pretty advanced AI creature at the center of its gameplay. This simply means that they expanded their internal engine in ways that are built to support a game like such. Hell, the same team within Creative Assembly then made Halo Wars 2, which is an RTS. So it's not like the engine was no longer capable of making RTS games after Alien Isolation, it just means that their engine can better facilitate different types of games. Gameplay, in most cases, is not tightly wound to a developer's engine to the point where they can't do anything to modify it to suit other needs.

Sonic Lost World used the same engine as Sonic Generations, the Hedgehog Engine, but it was modified to facilitate hitting 60fps on a console (which the more simplified art style and cutting of some visual features helped them to do), and to support the gameplay that Lost World was going for. With Forces, though, rather than properly tuning the gameplay with a more natural physics engine and sense of believable movement (for the type of game that it is and for the gameplay styles it supports), they just kind of... "hacked" it using Lost World gameplay engine. It's why the game's momentum based physics are all so jacked up. It's why there's no smooth acceleration curve, and the characters start off moving how you'd expect, and then abruptly rocket up to top speed (like how the run button in Lost World instantly did so). It's why several glitches from Lost World are still in Forces. Etc etc etc.

And honestly... I can't say for sure why it is this way. I don't think they Sonic Team lacked the know-how to do these things, as they've done it before (to varying degrees of satisfactory execution, of course). Aside from a lack of time (which very likely has to do with the outcome of Forces), I can't think of any reason why the phenomenon listed above were "hacked" in the way that they were. It's an odd game, indeed.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I get actually angry when I think of Sonic Forces because I dislike it that much.

None of it makes sense to me. I love Generations. It's a flawed game in that Classic Sonic doesn't feel at all like Classic Sonic should and the final boss is shocking terrible. But I could look over Classic Sonic not feeling right because there wasn't anything else to compare it to at that time. I mean, the previous game was Sonic 4. I legitimately enjoyed the game though. The level design was great, the story was silly and fun. It felt like Sonic Team found something with Generations and Colors.

Naturally, I was excited for the next game. In my mind, they could have easily done Generations 2 with a nice two-year turnaround. More remade stages, corrected physics for Classic Sonic, a final boss that isn't one of the worst I've ever played. It was all right there.

Instead, there is a six year gap. Combining that time frame with comments from Sonic Team where they said there were no plans to bring back Classic Sonic and that Forces wasn't a follow-up to Generations, I assumed it would be something quite different.

Yet, after six years, all Sonic Team had to show for themselves was essentially Generations 2, except inferior to Generations 1 in almost every way -- art design, level design, story, music and they still didn't even make an effort to make Classic Sonic play correctly (which you would think would be a priority since they knew they would be releasing right after an actual classic Sonic game that controlled perfectly).

What the hell happened?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I just replayed it on PS3 a month ago and the game is a piece of crap.

I wouldn't say it's a piece of crap, personally. I thought the boost stages were fun and led to the clearly and unarguably superior Colors and Generations.

How the game released without a single person at Sonic Team realizing the werehog segments were anything but complete trash will never not confuse me.

Playco Armboy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sonic Boom the TV show feels as if a bunch of Redditors were licensed the property and full creative authority to throw fourth-wall-breaking jokes and winks at the audience about furries and whatnot nonstop.

It's fun at first, but it gets grating eventually. The heck was with that Knuckles bit where he talks about feminism? It's so jarring and weird.

Fady

Oct 28, 2017
UAE
What this thread has taught me is to start with Sonic Forces and then play Sonic Mania to end it on a high note :P

Oct 28, 2017

- At the very least nearly half my playtime has felt like I could walk away and the game would keep playing itself due to the large amount of boost pads/rails/or hold to boost sections.
- Controls feel too "slippery" and it's especially noticeable during sidescrolling sections where I'll frequently overshoot jumps.
- Some annoying trial and error sections due to camera placement, mostly relegated to the rail sections.
- Soundtrack is good. I bought the OST. I unironically cry internally when Fist Bump starts playing.
- The storyline feels extremely disjointed and I'd wager it's due to most of it happening during the before level chatter between characters which was almost undoubtedly done to save up on costs.
- Why are cutscenes blocked from recording?????? What the hell is this. Sonic calls me his friend and you don't want me recording that????

I'm 25 levels in and as someone who's played through all of 06, Secret Rings, Unleashed, and Generations (I'll be playing Lost World on PC soonish) I'd say it's fine. The ~~internet reception~~ is hyperbole but that's expected of most things. It never reaches the lows of 06, but it never gets really good like Generations/Unleashed either. It's worth a playthough at the very least if you like 3D Sonic, but overall it's just kinda there.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
I 100%ed this on PS4, platinum trophy and all, and I'm ... kind of tempted to pick it up on Steam and take a dive on modding....

OP
OP
Redhead On Moped
Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
I 100%ed this on PS4, platinum trophy and all, and I'm ... kind of tempted to pick it up on Steam and take a dive on modding....
How do you do Chemical Plant in 70 seconds? 74 is the fastest I can do it. I still have 5 time challenges left to 100 percent it, and they are HARD.

And I picked it up on Steam too for cheap... Gonna wait until good mods and extractors come out. Like, I wanna play as my custom buddy in Generations.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm actually having a lot of fun picking away at this game and all of the challenges every once in a while. The challenges and collectables are better than the main game definitely.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
How do you do Chemical Plant in 70 seconds? 74 is the fastest I can do it. I still have 5 time challenges left to 100 percent it, and they are HARD.

And I picked it up on Steam too for cheap... Gonna wait until good mods and extractors come out. Like, I wanna play as my custom buddy in Generations.

Always spindash at the start of slopes that lead to ramps, just rolling won't give you enough speed to hit the shortcut at the start for instance. Avoid the red launcher that sends you to the left, jump over it and spindash up the right wall to take the higher path and minimise contact with water.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I wouldn't say it's a piece of crap, personally. I thought the boost stages were fun and led to the clearly and unarguably superior Colors and Generations.

How the game released without a single person at Sonic Team realizing the werehog segments were anything but complete trash will never not confuse me.
I thought, and still consider the Werehog thing to be a content-production issue. Every Sonic game has faced the same issue: It's a blazingly fast-paced platformer that doesn't last long because while levels maybe twice as long as a normal Mario stage, they're beat in 1-5 minutes for the most part, and in 3D that is way more costly, which is what the Hedgehog Engine was supposed to alleviate. After Sonic 06 SEGA had cut out a huge chunk of Sonic Team, and their next project was supposed to be as ambitious as Sonic 06 but somehow remedy its faults. Rather than making a 5-hour game of all the Sonic Stages they came up with the Werehog as a way to stretch the Sonic levels out with more slow-paced gameplay. They believed people were going to like this as long as the gamplay was fun. for what it's worth you can see some semblence of fun in playing as the Werehog, it's just too repetitive and not polished enough becuase platform collisions and sense of space is strange.

With Colors and Generations Sonic Team went "what the heck" and decided to just make it a Sonic game and let it last up to 6 hours before you had seen everything, and thankfully reviewers liked it and they sold pretty well, however I doubt SEGA, a big-name publisher, cared much for its small-time success because such publishers expect high return on investment which also comes in the form of playing, then replaying or staying inside games for long hours, especially lately since we're seeing MTX and stuff which games and their padding is built around.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I'll say this: I feel good for the future of Sonic. Sega is certainly looking at the reception of both Mania and Forces and I think the future of the series will be based on that.

I think we'll see Mania 2 announced at E3 and we won't see another 3D Sonic game this gen. In fact, I would go as far as to say that Forces is the last 3D Sonic game in the "Adventure universe" and we see a complete reinvention next time.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal

Wait. Is this real?

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Why on Earth would you build a Generations style sequel, which had a perfectly tailored engine for the sort of gameplay it was (playing it on PC at 60fps is bliss),ON A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ENGINE!?

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait. Is this real?

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Why on Earth would you build a Generations style sequel, which had a perfectly tailored engine for the sort of gameplay it was (playing it on PC at 60fps is bliss),ON A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ENGINE!?

Probably Sega lost source code yet again lol

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Would Sonic Xtreme have been a good attempt at 3D Sonic? (in retrospect)

Had the game actually come out I'm pretty sure it would have been considered absolute shit compared to its contemporaries. It wasn't remotely on the level of Mario 64's gameplay, Crash was doing the "into the screen" style of platforming much better, and it looked visually horrible compared to both. Xtreme seemed more like a Bug! sequel than a Sonic game.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
Wait. Is this real?

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

its sonic team and sega, they probably thought no one wuold notice lol/they had no one with experience on that engine.