• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm shocked!

Okay, not so shocked. This game was looking sketchy from the start, really.

To be honest, there aren't that many studios capable of acing this particular genre. Not to mention the additional challenge of coming up with Sonic gameplay in 3D.
Fans have basically been fiddling around with prototyping 3D Sonic games for years now, with Sonic Utopia being the most recent and impressive example - none of them are perfect, but I find both GDK and Utopia are way better than anything Sonic Team has made over the last decade or so in terms of systems design. Sonic Team have had a long-ass time to take notes or try to make something themselves that works better than what they've made so far. Most studios with such an inconsistent track record with such an iconic series would've had the reins taken away years ago, or would've had a forceful change in the makeup of the studio, but Sonic Team is bizarrely immune, and Iizuka isn't being booted despite being flagrantly incompetent at his job because he's seemingly the only 'major' veteran left - the man doesn't even get how 2D Sonic should work, nevermind 3D.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They allegedly took 4 years on the game. Think about that.

I really hope someone manages to get good info on what the hell happened in the future, because there has to be a scrapped project in there or something at the very least.

Yeah, there's no way that this was the game they were working with on four all of those 4 years.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Fans have basically been fiddling around with prototyping 3D Sonic games for years now, with Sonic Utopia being the most recent and impressive example - none of them are perfect, but I find both GDK and Utopia are way better than anything Sonic Team has made over the last decade or so in terms of systems design. Sonic Team have had a long-ass time to take notes or try to make something themselves that works better than what they've made so far. Most studios with such an inconsistent track record with such an iconic series would've had the reins taken away years ago, or would've had a forceful change in the makeup of the studio, but Sonic Team is bizarrely immune, and Iizuka isn't being booted despite being flagrantly incompetent at his job because he's seemingly the only 'major' veteran left - the man doesn't even get how 2D Sonic should work, nevermind 3D.
Not bad.
An open space like that is required if you want to translate the Sonic 2D formula in 3D.

I feel the problem with how Sonic was managed is related to how Sega management consider it just an easy cow to milk.
For many years Sonic was Sega only franchise that could have sold 2-3 million units.
They aren't interested in making critically acclaimed Sonic games (they don't have have a console to push anymore), all they care is to bring in the profits.
However this lack of ambition and care in the long run tarnished the franchise reputation.
Now Sonic is considered by many gamers to be a laughing stock due to the poor track record in the last 1-2 decades.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I still can't get my head around how they can mess 3D Sonic up with basic issues every single time. It's been almost 20 years since Sonic Adventure launched. How can they NOT have learned? Sonic Forces looks like the same mess as most 3D Sonics for the past 15 years. It's discouraging. As an old Sonic fan I guess I should just be happy with Sonic Mania. At least we got that gem this year. Ever since I played Rayman Legends I've felt that this is what the next Sonic should look like. Just copy paste, basically, and throw Sonic, Tails and Knuckles in there. Then we got Sonic Mania and I'm happy with that. But I still would like to see a new Sonic with that Rayman art style and level design. I think it could work out. 3D Sonic clearly isn't.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
They had mania this year they will be fine. Surely SEGA can get 1 3d sonic right eventually
While true, this remains disappointing simply because Sonic Team has done so much better in recent years. Sonic Generations is superb, Colors is solid and even Lost World was a lot of fun (at least, partly). Sonic Forces is a step down from every Sonic Team 3D Sonic made over the past ten years, I believe.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
This game is depressingly expensive. The production values are fucking insane (Stage 6 is mindblowing) and it's wasted on really dull level design.

Sega selling this at $40 when it looks like it might have cost $100m to make really suggests they don't think much of it...

I mean, look at this level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce3QnSJkzjs

The visuals and presentation here are NUTS... And the level design is impossibly uninteresting.

If that costs 100 million to make someone has been embezzling money off to a Swiss bank.

Oct 27, 2017
So still no review other than the Polygon one?

I'm waiting for this to turn into an actual review thread rather than the usual "come shit on Sonic cause it's fun" thread.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
It's not giving remotely as good of an impression but a bunch of 5s wouldn't surprise me considering the spread Colors got, and I fucking loved that game.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
So still no review other than the Polygon one?

I'm waiting for this to turn into an actual review thread rather than the usual "come shit on Sonic cause it's fun" thread.

I'm bothered by this too. Now unfortunately I am pretty certain this won't review well, and to be frank from what I've seen I don't think it'll be good, but also not abysmally bad (it's not glitchy from what I've seen for one thing), but a lot of people are jumping the gun and just asserting what I'm sure they believed before entering the thread and passing final judgement off of literally one review score.

I wish the game would turn out better, but too many will be quick to jump on the bandwagon when it comes to the Sonic stuff.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While true, this remains disappointing simply because Sonic Team has done so much better in recent years. Sonic Generations is superb, Colors is solid and even Lost World was a lot of fun (at least, partly). Sonic Forces is a step down from every Sonic Team 3D Sonic made over the past ten years, I believe.

I think all Sonic fans feel the same way.

I mean Sonic Team doesnt even try new things with Forces and they still somehow screwed the things up.

I think I still will get some fun with the game but even now It's feel like a massive disappointment

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
This game is depressingly expensive. The production values are fucking insane (Stage 6 is mindblowing) and it's wasted on really dull level design.

Sega selling this at $40 when it looks like it might have cost $100m to make really suggests they don't think much of it...

The visuals and presentation here are NUTS... And the level design is impossibly uninteresting.

You are crazy if you think this game cost $100 million.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no embargo. Just to clear things up.

Sega didn't send review codes so unless you can get it early yourself (like Polygon did) then you likely can't write a review until launch day or later.

This is why there are so few reviews. IMO that's worse than a launch day embargo, since usually that means at least codes were sent in advance for reviews on launch day.

Sega didn't send codes out or anything. They don't want reviews hitting close to launch for...soon to be discovered reasons.

Oct 27, 2017
You can all talk about how a 5 is 'technically average' and your ideal review scales and whatever, but at the end of the day you know deep down that with how review scores actually work, a mainstream title has to be pretty damn fucked to get a 5; anything less is reserved for movie tie-in games or shit that is fundamentally broken. The fact Sonic 06 is sitting at a 46 is telling, because that essentially means that it's ever so slightly below average if you want you argue that outlets genuinely use a 5 as the average.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Its funny because some years (2 at max) ago i saw people saying that sonic team was a top team, on pair with nintendo EAD.
Dont know what people was thinking.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong

Gotta say, this looks no better to me than Unleashed did almost a decade ago. And man, Sonic will just not shut up! Can't see this reviewing any better than the current two we have to go by. The visual design/UI looks uninspired, which also doesn't help prop the footage up.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say, this looks no better to me than Unleashed did almost a decade ago. And man, Sonic will just not shut up! Can't see this reviewing any better than the current two we have to go by. The visual design/UI looks uninspired, which also doesn't help prop the footage up.

I still prefer "Feelin' Good!" To any voiced monologue

Sahasrahla

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kakariko
As someone who bought the Dreamcast and Sonic Adventure on launch day it boggles my mind that it's considered a bad game nowadays. Back then it was amazing, a must have. I admit it hasn't aged well, but you really need to consider the times. Most games had bad cameras and the 3d controls weren't quite there yet.

Other that the SA games I've only played Unleashed and Generations, which are both decent games. Unleashed probably would've been received much better if it hadn't been a Sonic game.

Haven't been really looking foward to Forces because of the customisable characters. I don't like their design and gameplay. Will be interesting to see how others review the game. Jeremy Parish is in regards to SEGA and Sonic still a 12 year old mad at the "Nintendon't" commercials.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It looks a little better but, you're right, it's not a huge leap.

...but Unleashed was very ahead of its time visually and, as a result, it ran at 720p30 with TONS of slowdown on consoles. I mean, even on Xbox 360 (which ran better than PS3), some levels would tax the system to the point where you'd get multi-second pauses and hitches. It really pushed the system hard.

So the bump to 1080p60 with improved visuals is not a bad thing.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

EDIT: [Caught your edit]

tenor.gif

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I afraid most part of the original Sonic Team devs already depart.
What left is only the name 'Sonic Team' and some fews.
Not the 'Rare scenario, but...

Anw I still loved Sonic Mania, but really hoping a descent 3D Sonic game and again Sega don't delivery.

Krypton115

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Why do people even bother with 3D Sonic games anymore. Mania, for all intends and purposes was a great game and put Sonic back on the map just in time for Forces to bring back all the jokes about the franchise.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people even bother with 3D Sonic games anymore. Mania, for all intends and purposes was a great game and put Sonic back on the map just in time for Forces to bring back all the jokes about the franchise.
Even if Forces is horrible, I'm still more interested in it than Mania for the joke factor alone.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Considering Sonic Mania's great reception, I think Sonic Team should take 2D Sonic games as reference and learn from them.

They could remake Sonic 3 & Knuckles using the classic gameplay from Generations and Forces. Probably the physics won't be the same, but if they understand the level design after the remake, they could make a new proper Sonic game in 2.5D. Right now I would say Sonic's future is Classic Sonic because of the nostalgia factor. They should forget about 3D and Modern Sonic, these concepts never worked that well.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Considering Sonic Mania's great reception, I think Sonic Team should take 2D Sonic games as reference and learn from them.

They could remake Sonic 3 & Knuckles using the classic gameplay from Generations and Forces. Probably the physics won't be the same, but if they understand the level design after the remake, they could make a new proper Sonic game in 2.5D. Right now I would say Sonic's future is Classic Sonic because of the nostalgia factor. They should forget about 3D and Modern Sonic, these concepts never worked that well.

Are you trying to get Sonic Team shuttered? Messing with the classics takes nuance that Current ST does not have. They would be reviled for eternity.

Also the fact that they lack nuance is the exact reason Modern Sonic didn't peak or actually get achance to finish growing. I love how people throw out claims like yours as if they are the end all be all on Sonic.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

The thing is, Sonic Team isn't really a very static group of people. Pictures were posted from the credits of Colours, Unleashed and Forces and the level designers in particular were different every time and there was quite a bit of resourcing. If they learned from anything, they probably won't be sticking around for the next Sonic game.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how the hell Sonic Team wasn't able to get this right. Colors and Generations were fantastic and fun as hell, and this game looks to use the same formula...did they fire whoever did the level design or something?

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Are you trying to get Sonic Team shuttered? Messing with the classics takes nuance that Current ST does not have. They would be reviled for eternity.

Also the fact that they lack nuance is the exact reason Modern Sonic didn't peak or actually get achance to finish growing. I love how people throw out claims like yours as if they are the end all be all on Sonic.

I just think it's a real shame how people seem to look at Sonic Team's efforts and say "yep, pack it up, Sonic can never work in 3D". Meanwhile, they've shown time and time again that they don't how to make Sonic work in 2D either.

The biggest take away from Sonic Mania succeeding and Sonic Force failing shouldn't be "well, I guess Sonic only really works in 2D...", it should be "Wow, they actually got good developers that knew what they were doing to work on this!".

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how the hell Sonic Team wasn't able to get this right. Colors and Generations were fantastic and fun as hell, and this game looks to use the same formula...did they fire whoever did the level design or something?

Well I don't know if they were fired or not, but the level designers have been different in most games seemingly. I think the only one on Forces that was credited on a previous game had only previously worked on Lost World.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its funny because some years (2 at max) ago i saw people saying that sonic team was a top team, on pair with nintendo EAD.
Dont know what people was thinking.

You are making things up.

Why some people dont get that there's a demand for 3D Sonic games?

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
I just think it's a real shame how people seem to look at Sonic Team's efforts and say "yep, pack it up, Sonic can never work in 3D". Meanwhile, they've shown time and time again that they don't how to make Sonic work in 2D either.

The biggest take away from Sonic Mania succeeding and Sonic Force failing shouldn't be "well, I guess Sonic only really works in 2D...", it should be "Wow, they actually got good developers that knew what they were doing to work on this!".

Theres so many elements from the Adventure, Classic and Boost formulas they could cohesively put together to make a really fun 3D game but they think reinventing the wheel with no consideration for what makes Sonic good will solve their problems.

Its why everyone says "yeah i enjoy playing as Team Rose in heroes" or "i like 1/3rd of SA2". Its because theyre onto something but decide to move onto another garbage idea.

To put it into perspective, Mario Odyssey has actual momentum with hills as a way to gain speed. MARIO DOES THIS.

Terranort

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the problem with Sonic Real really is that they keep shufling people around and as such, they are not able to learn from anything.

I mean didn't the credits show that the level designes for this game were basically mes people for that job and that there were far less level designers in comparison with colors, generations, unleashed and even lost world?

What I really want to know is what the heck happened, you don't spent 4 years and come up with a game that feel as rushed as this one does.

Was there some internal fuckering as what happened with mass effect andromeda?

Lightning

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania

More than 75% of these assets are from Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations (namely Chemical Plant)

Edit: I just want to leave this here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvFsrdbhFTY&t=0s

Last edited: