• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic in 3d will never work. The sooner people realise that, the better. It's too late now, though.
Disagree, I just think the degree of difficulty is beyond what Sonic Team -- especially in its present form -- will ever be able to handle.

If Sega insists on making a 3D Sonic game, they should bring in external talent to make it work.

OP
OP
AAMARMO

AAMARMO

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Heres some behind scene stuff:
DNVj259WkAEfURK.png

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic in 3d will never work. The sooner people realise that, the better. It's too late now, though.

Nah, it's just that Sonic Team is a incompetent developer who can't do anything right.

99HhzAw.gif

Sonic Team can't even get Sonic to work in fucking 2D. Just because they're a bunch of fuckups, doesn't mean that "SONIC CAN NEVER EVR WORK IN 3D EVER".

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I almost pre-ordered when they announced the Persona costumes. I'm very glad i didn't. Will probably still pick it up, but in a couple of years.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also, two of the three level designers have never ever worked on a Sonic game before....except for vocal tracks.

Lurker

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It worked well in SA1 and in Unleashed/Colors/Generations. This revisionist history is out of control.

People like to pretend Adventure 1 was such a great/compelling game when it wasn't. It was press forward to play and the platforming was all lost. A lot of times you were watching Sonic just blaze through everything.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what the famitsu reviewers say.

''Great game, speedy hedgehog, made my own character. 8/10''

Source: http://www.japanesenintendo.com/post/167123050604

This Sonic is aimed for adults with a hype story that opens with a serious development and has allies and enemies throughout the series gathering. [...] 9/10

The design that retains the deep replay value and challenges while catching up on the exhilarating and speedy feels are amazing, as it allows anyone to feel good when playing it. [...] 9/10

The dramatic [story] development is nice, since it once again recognizes the coolness of Sonic. The gimmicks that have excellent speedy feels, and the smooth transition from 3D to side-scrolling is also cool. Even in the same area, when the characters and gimmicks change you will feel a different sensation in playing it. [...] 9/10

Oct 25, 2017
For those outside of the impressions/spoiler thread, the context behind this game ending up the way it was most likely came from an internal misfire (scrapped prototype post Generations and Lost World) and needing to scrap together a game out of asset reuse and anything salvagable, as well as injecting Classic Sonic back in for almost no reason. Essentially, ST had 2 years to make the game, since at the point of the reveal trailer almost none of it existed.

Even the CG reveal trailer looks to be a retooled City Escape from Generations. (Now known as Park Avenue)

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People like to pretend Adventure 1 was such a great/compelling game when it wasn't. It was press forward to play and the platforming was all lost. A lot of times you were watching Sonic just blaze through everything.

Seems like youre the one revising things here. Adventure had bunches of hidden paths and secrets to explore. Holding forward doing nothing would get you killed easily.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
The solution seems pretty clear at this point to get the series out of the hands of Sonic Team.

Another dev is going to have to fix Sonic at this point. 3D Sonic anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
At this point I think that Sega should only let Sonic fans handle the franchise.

Hell, I bet some of them would even do it for free!

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think that prototype for the open world Sonic game was really promising.

The problem is they keep trying to keep small scale stages - like a 2D Sonic game or a Mario game. In 3D, Sonic needs to have LOADS of directions, LOADS of freedom and movement options to choose from. He can't just have 2-3 interconnecting linear paths and a couple of moves like in these games.

Opening it up to a huge map that interconnects with itself and has puzzles at different "levels" would really help, i think.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
How can you make Colors and Generations and then come out with this? I know what it is. Sega. Sonic Team has the skill and talent, Sega just fucks them.

Kurri

Oct 26, 2017
But... you can explore without worrying about the ranking. Getting S-ranks is optional, it doesn't punish you for not doing it.
It's optional, but that doesn't mean it doesn't influence how people approach the game or how things are designed. All of this can heavily impact someone's experience with a game, for better or worse.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
No?

That's not what that game is at all. Glitchy collision detection, floaty controls (that were ok at the time but don't hold up now), typically questionable DC/PS2-era 3D camera work, probably too much ambition with all the different gameplay styles, and graphics that have aged about as well as you'd expect. Those are the lasting problems with SA1. Most of those were not really problems when it came out, but it's been 18 years now.

There are areas in that game (parts of Sky Deck for example) that are as open as official 3D Sonic has ever been, and a fair bit of platforming as well. You're probably thinking of a different game

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
God dammit Sonic Team. All you had to do was make Sonic Colours 2. Hell, even Sonic Generations 2 would have been okay. That was all you had to do and you fucked it up.

I also love that every thread about 3D sonic games turns into people trying to argue that Sonic Adventure was a good game.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For those outside of the impressions/spoiler thread, the context behind this game ending up the way it was most likely came from an internal misfire (scrapped prototype post Generations and Lost World) and needing to scrap together a game out of asset reuse and anything salvagable, as well as injecting Classic Sonic back in for almost no reason. Essentially, ST had 2 years to make the game, since at the point of the reveal trailer almost none of it existed.

Even the CG reveal trailer looks to be a retooled City Escape from Generations. (Now known as Park Avenue)

I'm skeptical that it was developed so recently because it's clear it was downported to the Switch which wouldn't have been the case if it began development after they knew what Switch was.

Mistle

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Maybe I haven't seen enough of this game, but it doesn't even seem "funny and entertaining" bad. It just looks dull and lifeless. I hope it's at least cheesy as hell so we can have some fun with it.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who would say me that I would expect for Forces a lower Metascore than Knack 2...
Knack 2 is pretty cool, i got it free with the psn store glitch tho so ehm..... Yeah that might be why i thought it was enjoyable enough.

Anyway i can see Forces score lower than Knack 2, Knack 2 is at 69.

I will still play Forces tho still deciding wether to get it on launch or a bit later on sale, probs the latter.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I have actually played SA1 in the past few months and this is emphatically false. SA1 has some major problems, but not only is it not "press forward to play", but it's probably the closest the 3D Sonic series ever came to being a "standard" platformer.

There are times when you just sit back and watch a setpiece, but hell, that was true in the classic Sonic games too. It's true in Mania, even.

Kurri

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, it's just that Sonic Team is a incompetent developer who can't do anything right.

99HhzAw.gif

Sonic Team can't even get Sonic to work in fucking 2D. Just because they're a bunch of fuckups, doesn't mean that "SONIC CAN NEVER EVR WORK IN 3D EVER".
That's bad, but I'm pretty sure that's something that was fixed.