• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xzeon

User was permanently banned at own request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
nexus2cee_Sonic_Forces_Speed_Battle_preview-1-728x416.png

I just started playing this mobile game yesterday. Its basically Sonic R with Mario Kart items.

You race against people to obtain chests. You need cards to unlock or upgrade characters which come from the chests. Basicaly its race, chests, cards, upgrade characters, race again.

Its fun but out of the 3 Sonic runner games/apps this is the most Pay to Win. You either wait 3-8 hours for chests to unlock or you pay a fuck ton of real life money to open your chests early. So after 4 races your chest slots are full, so its either wait hours, or pay money. Cuz the only reward for racing is chests, so what's the point if my limit is 4.

Its basically designed to feed endlessly back into itself and to get anywhere you need to endlessly pour money into it, Or wait 3-8 hours.

It sucks cuz the 2 mins of racing is actually really fun but everything else sucks.

Sonic Forces Speed Battle, fun game ruined by Pay to Win. Not to mention you are constantly bombarded with video advertisements, you spend more time watching ads then you do racing.

OP
OP
Xzeon

Xzeon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Better than the main game?

Haven't played the main game so I can't compare. The tiny amount of racing other players is fun but the game is extremely limiting.

If I could pay like 1.99$ to just have a full racing game without all the waiting to upgrade shit id buy it.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I briefly tried one of the Sonic mobile games and it was just a shell of a game around all the worst mobile schemes. I can't imagine they'll ever get better.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I played it quite a bit during the soft launch but quickly put it down once the more intrusive monetization crap started sneaking in. You can pay a few bucks to remove ads but you're still going to end up constantly watching "optional" ads to double the meager rewards, for some reason they changed it so you can only win so many chests per day even though they're the only reason to play, and upgrading characters / getting new characters is purely down to loot box luck. It's a shame because early on it was way more fun than either of the previous Sonic Dash games, I might have actually dropped some cash on the full release if they hadn't messed it up so badly.

On another note, Sonic Runners Adventure just released today and is apparently a decent revamp of the original Runners with actual levels instead of endless running and a $2.99 pricetag with no F2P crap, so hopefully we continue to see more of that.

seiki

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kind of off topic but they removed Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed from the Play Store completely? it was free aswell and I remember downloading it once either this year or last so it must be recent :/

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sonic Runners Speed Battle feels very shallow to me. The core gameplay doesn't have too much punch to it and the ads are extremely aggressive for a IAP driven game. There's no easy way to play and compete with friends like there is with Mario Run.

OP
OP
Xzeon

Xzeon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Everything revolves around the red star rings, which are impossible to get unless u pay money.

I've played every single Sonic Mobile game, all the Free to Play ones are ruined by microtransaction garbage and Pay to Win shit.

The only good Sonic mobile games are the ones you just out right buy like the first Sonic Jump or the mobile ports of actual Sonic games like 1, 2, CD, stuff like that.

If u don't mind a few ads Sonic 1 and 2 are free thru Segas Classics program.

I really wish there was a way to pay to take out all the microtransaction shit outta Sonic Forces Speed Battle so I can just fucking play the game.

Oct 28, 2017
I tried it. It's fun but the ads in an IAP driven game when other similar titles like CR doesn't have them (same obtain chest after battle, wait hrs for it to unlock) plus a constant lag made me quickly drop this game.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Everything revolves around the red star rings, which are impossible to get unless u pay money.

I've played every single Sonic Mobile game, all the Free to Play ones are ruined by microtransaction garbage and Pay to Win shit.

The only good Sonic mobile games are the ones you just out right buy like the first Sonic Jump or the mobile ports of actual Sonic games like 1, 2, CD, stuff like that.

If u don't mind a few ads Sonic 1 and 2 are free thru Segas Classics program.

I really wish there was a way to pay to take out all the microtransaction shit outta Sonic Forces Speed Battle so I can just fucking play the game.

Sonic Runners Adventure is out now and it's a premium title! Pay once, never pay again!

OP
OP
Xzeon

Xzeon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sonic Runners Adventure is out now and it's a premium title! Pay once, never pay again!

Hmmmm, I played the first Runners and it wasn't that great. The actual time u spent playing was like 5 seconds. Gameplay was frustrating as hell, didn't enjoy it that much.

This one looks ok. I don't know why so many of these games are endless runners, I know GOTTA GO FAST but I'd actually like to control my character.

Eh, I might get it...

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing it and enjoy it a lot, just would love some more substantial customization for it. Also the grinding to level up and unlock more leves is PAINFUL, but what you gonna do, it's a free-to-play game.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Like as a full game this isn't anything special, but I like this a lot. If it was a multiplayer mode in Forces or any other game, I would probably say it was a worthwhile multiplayer addition. I like it so much I wish Switch would get some actual mobile games on it just to pass time, with better performance (runs like Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric on my old S3) and buttons.

Shizzlee

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with everyone when it comes to a IAP and ads. It wasn't that bad during the soft launch, but they made it much more of a grind for the WW release. I'm at a high-enough level to where this doesn't really matter to me, but as a new player I would be very annoyed due to the amount of grinding required now. Either way, I stand by the gameplay. It's pretty good and is very strategic. Much better than the main game.

You can control the item RNG. You always get the item you don't have. Leaving the middle slot open will result in always getting a boost or shield for example.
You can place your traps (the right item slot) anywhere, and I mean anywhere. They can be placed before pits, on the item capsules, on loops and corkscrews, on the speed strips, and even on rails.
Front-running in this game is very difficult. Smart trap placement is key otherwise people will catch up if they leave that boost slot open. While in 1st, you aren't getting a boost either.
Good movement is a must. One must constantly change lanes and jump, being as unpredictable as possible. People are really good at timing projectiles and traps.
Boost management is crucial during close races. Might be better to hold on to it near the end instead of taking the lead early.

There's much to think about while playing the game if you want to win consistently. Wins in the higher tiers are very rewarding. It's a shame the great gameplay is wrapped up in so much grinding and pay to win.

OP
OP
Xzeon

Xzeon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just got a notification that they added Blaze the Cat to this game.

Good enough for some mobile cash grab but not good enough for the main game?

Smh Sega...