• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
The source is a SEGA x Rovia Press Conference (16:40). This means Sonic Frontiers must've sold around 200-300k copies in the month of April as the last update was over 3.2 million copies sold as of the end of March 2023. It's a bit strange since the game reached 2.9 million by the end of December 2022, but it seems to be legit.

Edit: Sonic Frontiers is NOT the best selling 3D Sonic game yet, but it is the fastest selling one. The LTD sales of most Sonic games are unknown. Here's a compilation of what we do know !

Last edited:

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I saw it at 20€ (Switch) one or two months ago and was very tempted to get it, but I'll wait until all content is done.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Free DLC, Discounts on all platforms, and positive buzz from The Murder of Sonic The Hedgehog.

Makes sense there was an uptick in sales.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's definitely not the best selling 3d sonic game, lol, Sega just don't care to report numbers.

OP
OP
BlueStarEXSF

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
The best selling 3D ever? Incredible. Still haven't taken the dip yet, but thrilled it's doing well.
It's not the best selling 3D sonic game yet but it's the fastest selling one. We don't have LTD figures for most 3D Sonic games. For the ones we know about, Colors (Wii+DS combined) sold 4 million copies prior to the remaster.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for the planned content to drop before I give it a go, but I will say the reaction has been infectious to see. Finally, nobody laughing and crying at the state of a 3D Sonic game! Some hope! Some happiness even!

This, my friends, is the power of Big the Cat.

Aurora

Jul 22, 2018
Lemuria
Waiting for the planned content to drop before I give it a go, but I will say the reaction has been infectious to see. Finally, nobody laughing and crying at the state of a 3D Sonic game! Some hope! Some happiness even!

This, my friends, is the power of Big the Cat.

What happens when
the DLC acknowledges that Sonic and friends left Big in Cyberspace in the base game's ending

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What happens when
the DLC acknowledges that Sonic and friends left Big in Cyberspace in the base game's ending

You will get

a TotK setting, it's the same map again, but now the pain of Big infects the land. His cries come down as meteors in the shape of Froggy.

OP
OP
BlueStarEXSF

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Yeah, otherwise that's all the threads going to be about.

It will almost certainly get there though, which is a good enough result for the hedgehog
It does make you wonder what's the most likely candidate for best selling 3D Sonic game. Generations? Adventure 2 with it's PC/360/PS3 port? Colors with Ultimate? Heroes ? I imagine these are the candidates.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad for them but disappointed personally. I'd rather more traditional 3d sonic levels. The open world was kinda fun but it occupied way too much of the game and the stages were really short and pretty visually drab

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Never in a million years would I have guessed it would do this well after the initial impressions

mrgoomba

Dec 10, 2017
I've played some hours in Switch and it's definelly a good game but not the best way to play it.. so that I've decided to wait a sale on my PS5 to play it properly but still on my radar

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Good for 3D Sonic in general, but after having recently played and finished this game, it's definitely not what I want from a 3D Sonic game. I disliked plenty of things and consider it a 4 or 5/10 game.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Given the legs of this game its safe to say it will hit 5m+ and easily become the best selling 3D Sonic game.

The real challenge is would it come close to beating the original 2D games ( Without counting bundles and combined SKUs , since that is in the 40m+ range ). But the highest selling Individual Non-bundled title was Sonic 2 which is around 8m.

OP
OP
BlueStarEXSF

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Never in a million years would I have guessed it would do this well after the initial impressions

I still remember the initial IGN footage... It's impressive they turned it around after that terrible first impression.

Given the legs of this game its safe to say it will hit 5m+ and easily become the best selling 3D Sonic game.

The real challenge is would it come close to beating the original 2D games ( Without counting bundles and combined SKUs , since that is in the 40m+ range ). But the highest selling Individual Non-bundled title was Sonic 2 which is around 8m.

5-6 million lifetime is likely on lock. Legs beyond that will depend on when they release the next game I imagine.