• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Source: https://www.thegamer.com/sonic-frontiers-preview-summer-game-fest/

There's another core gameplay mechanic in Sonic Frontiers that, according to the NDA I signed, I'm not allowed to talk about until June 29. If you've been following the IGN First coverage, however, it's already been revealed and widely discussed. I'll have a lot more to say about it in a couple of weeks, because it's a major part of the game and I think it's great. Here's IGN's Mitchell Saltzman describing the thing I'm not allowed to talk about.

CoinStarDX

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Mediocre reception to our big comeback game but lets embargo the parts people are excited about for 2 weeks!
People are excited about it based on leaks outside of segas control. This marketing plan was put in to place ages ago I'm sure, they aren't choosing to not react, they're just sticking to their marketing plan.

As weird as it may be.

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
As someone who has been playing Sonic Generations lately, it's like they just took the Sonic Generations formula but turned the abstract world from that game into a more interactive and far more robust open-ish world.
Are you speaking about the cyberspace levels footage that leaked or about the open world? They are two separate things.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm so confused, why are they limiting discussion on this particular feature? And for that long?

I'm going to have to deal with people analysing low res footage until the 29th?

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it the same day of the rumored Nintendo Direct.
Anyway I really want to see those stages, might be the best part of that game.

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
I think I was misinterpreting it entirely because I did not realize they were two separate things.

This game seems weird. I'm into it.
The gameplay loop is:
Explore the open world >>> collect stuff in the open world >>> do puzzles to unlock more of the map >>> complete objectives for EXP to level up your movement branch and combat skill branch in skill tree >>> defeat mini bosses to get gears >>> use those gears to open vaults that allow you to play linear cyberspace levels that have been described as classic Unleashed/Generations style boost levels >>> get chaos emeralds for completing the level >>> rinse and repeat.

There are apparently 28 total cyberspace levels but we have not seen actual footage of a full level because it's under embargo until June 29. It was part of the demo the media played but they aren't allowed to mention anything about that part of the game or show any footage of it.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
Nintendo Direct trailer? I've been looking forward to a traditional trailer that gives a rounded presentation of the game. Not to sell me, I'm already in. I just like trailers lol

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Nintendo Direct trailer? I've been looking forward to a traditional trailer that gives a rounded presentation of the game. Not to sell me, I'm already in. I just like trailers lol
Mitchell from IGN said on Twitter yesterday that there will be "at least one IGN First video dropping on IGN's YouTube channel every week for the rest of June" so I think it's more likely that IGN is going to have a story reveal video, a cyberspace reveal video and maybe something else. Maybe IGN has to reveal the cyberspace exclusively and talk about it for a few days before the rest of the media can comment on what they played, not sure.

I strongly doubt a Nintendo Direct trailer because we only got 30 seconds of footage during that sonic central and then "tune into IGN throughout June to see more!"

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually weirdly becoming pretty excited for this game. Might be a perfect "swimming in sevens" type title.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
That's generally what I was expecting, it would be dumb if the game just consisted of that boring looking island. Interested to see if the game looks better once we get an idea of what it looks like without Sega trying its best to sabotage it.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Such wierd marketing. I bet they did not count on it also being at SGF and there was some marketing misscomunications

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm guessing they're like Mario Sunshine/Odyssey secret challenges.