• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
OyNRv8G.png

SEGA Q3 for FY ending March 2023

Some Sonic sales numbers:
Sonic sales during FY2023:

IqsCXM0.png

Other Sonic releases this FY include Sonic Colors Ultimate and Sonic Origins. This chart should include those sales + back catalog sales (TSR, Mario & Sonic at the Tokyo Olympics, Sonic Generations).

Edit: Kishimoto confirms the game reached 3 million at some point in January and that it's the fastest selling 3D Sonic game.

View: https://twitter.com/moq_46/status/1623870331579682822

yes! Thanks to you, we reached 3 million last month! ! This is the fastest pace ever. Thanks to all of you for your support. Thank you to everyone who played the game.https://twitter.com/moq_46/status/1623870331579682822

We don't know exactly when in January the game reached 3 million but it did.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
So it should be at 3 million by now. Either way, you love to see it.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
What a time to be a Sonic fan. The main game is doing well and it's good, the movies are good, and the IDW comics are amazing. Don't fuck it up Sega pls

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Nice. It's rough as fuck but ultimately the most fun I've had in a sonic game since unleashed and before that Heroes or Adventure probably.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
To be fair, Sonic Frontiers is barely AAA.

Yeah that's kind of what I mean, that every games revenue expectations are going to be relative to its development costs.I think Sonic Frontiers is still a AAA game but definitely one with lower end development costs.

The idea of there being some 10million benchmark that all 'big' games need to hit is just silly.

OP
OP
BlueStarEXSF

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
real interested in knowing how well mania did. the low price to entry, proximity to switch launch, and high critical acclaim probably pushed sales units higher.

IqsCXM0.png

Other Sonic releases this FY include Sonic Colors Ultimate and Sonic Origins. This chart should include those sales + back catalog sales (TSR, Mario & Sonic at the Tokyo Olympics, Sonic Generations).

Last edited:

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
does Sonic count as AAA?

I mean, AAA, AA etc aren't real. They're social constructs which is fine, but they also aren't actually used by anyone in any important capacity. But we see it talked about as an AAA game pretty regularly, so yeah, in that unimportant sense for the purposes of an ERA discussion, I think it is (though barely).

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017

thanks!

had no idea colors did that well. mania seems like it had a good start but might've been fighting sonic forces for attention. at any rate there was a physical release that probably boosted its numbers a good amount in 2018.

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
Is it legit good or just not as bad as the usual sonic games?

For all the pessimism surrounding the game and 3D Sonic in general, and Frontiers' bad initial gameplay reveal, 3 million sales in that time seems very good. That would be kind of screwed up if it isn't.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
real interested in knowing how well mania did. the low price to entry, proximity to switch launch, and high critical acclaim probably pushed sales units higher.
Not to mention the reprint (sans DLC) and the physical bundles they include it in with other Sega games (I've seen bundles with Mania + Forces/Team Sonic Racing & Super Monkey Ball)

DubleDuce

Jan 15, 2018
Sonic Adventure 3 with the highest budget since Unleashed is next...right SEGA?

The fans want it, the developers want it...give them the resources to make it happen.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

had no idea colors did that well. mania seems like it had a good start but might've been fighting sonic forces for attention. at any rate there was a physical release that probably boosted its numbers a good amount in 2018.

FWIW, that four million number consists of sales of the Wii console version and the DS handheld version. This is also true for the likes of Unleashed, Generations, Lost World, and certain spinoffs of the era (the Wii-era Mario & Sonic games, the first two Sonic Boom games).

Edit: Whelp, beaten.

Apr 23, 2019
Glad to see it. I bounced in the third zone due to repetition, but I enjoyed what I played and think they're on to something. Hopefully they listen to feedback and improve the sequel.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Really hoping these numbers convince Sega to give it a bit more of a budget. I'm super happy with these results, as long as Sonic Team sticks to their guns, and use this game as a foundation, I'm once again excited for the future of this franchise.

Rurouni

Dec 25, 2017

IqsCXM0.png

Are there any concrete numbers for Generations?

I'm mildly under the impression that the disparity/decline(?) between it and Colors' commercial performance was rather notable.

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
I'm surprised Mania's last official number was only 1 million. That feels low, right? I know it's higher now especially after the DLC and physical release but I wonder how much higher.

So they didn't report Colors Ultimate or Origins numbers?

Lastly, I wonder what the split for PC/Switch is for P5R's new 1.3 million.

Deleted member 10981

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 24, 2022
Really hoping these numbers convince Sega to give it a bit more of a budget. I'm super happy with these results, as long as Sonic Team sticks to their guns, and use this game as a foundation, I'm once again excited for the future of this franchise.

Sonic Team's currently going on a hiring spree apparently, and a recent interview discussed how they want to expand on the Frontiers formula with more playable characters and story emphasis. The confidence of both these things + the fact this is the first time SEGA's been impressed with a Sonic game's performance in...12 years, I'm hopeful some changes are coming!

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Is it legit good or just not as bad as the usual sonic games?

It's by no means flawless, but simply fun to play. The kind of fun where you can see the heart they put in and that makes you look past those flaws. It's the first 3D Sonic game I've felt this way about since probably the DC era. And funnily enough, I was more than ready to hate the game based on its initial showings.

We're still sitting at 94% positive on Steam after 12k reviews, which I think is a testament to the game's general reception.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Impressive.
Actually, I got served some tracks from OST on Youtube and I gotta say I kinda like the buttrock there 😌.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm real curious as to the split. given it's sonic and the known charts, the Switch should be the plurality

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
3D Sonic finally good again, and (somewhat) free from the crutches of boost gameplay. What a time to be alive.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Given how much doomposting and negative reaction there was surrounding the admittedly subpar pre-launch marketing cycle, I'd say it hit really well.

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
Most fun I've had since Dreamcast Era Sonic. It's also lead me to rediscover Sonic Unleashed. I hope they continue this formula, as well as the amazing music. Kinda weird how my favorite modern sonic games all have a flavor of Phantasy Star Online. Both SA1 & SA2 had elements, music, etc that reminded me of PSO. Now Frontiers and PSO2NG. Especially, again, with the music.

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
I beleive it. All my highschool students still talk about it to this day.

It's weird to say, but nowadays Sonic seems to be having a bigger impact than Mario is.