• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Sonic project(s) do you think we’ll see at The Game Awards?

• Sonic Frontiers

Votes: 92 87.6%
  • Sonic Origins

Votes: 14 13.3%
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Movie)

Votes: 76 72.4%
  • Sonic Prime

Votes: 9 8.6%

• Total voters

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If you go to http://frontiers.sonicthehedgehog.com, you'll get an Access Denied response which (going by the responses I've seen on Twitter) didn't happen until today. The fact that SEGA has locked it down now may indicate an incoming name & possibly gameplay reveal in the near future.

Source: SEGA

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Do we know this site is actually owned by Sega because I could totally see some rando trying to fake it

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I miss the period from roughly 2010 to 2011 when I was optimistic about 3D Sonic again.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I miss the period from roughly 2010 to 2011 when I was optimistic about 3D Sonic again.

I dunno, i feel it actually works better when expectations for 3D Sonic are at zero, if it's actually good it'll be a nice surprise and if it's bad who cares, just play something else.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
we've been giving geoff a lot of shit this week, when the big reveal was a dance number he was gonna do with the new 3D render of sonic ala MC Skat Kat

giphy.gif

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
exciting. according to rumours this game was originally slated for 2021, so if it's coming earlier in 2022 (maybe a few months after the movie), makes sense to start the marketing campaign now.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
i remember when the generations demo came out on 360, I thought to myself, wow it looks like they finally 'figured it out'. that demo sold me the game, which ended up being a decent game, if not a perfect one. it was easy to imagine a bright future for the series from that point..

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
exciting. according to rumours this game was originally slated for 2021, so if it's coming earlier in 2022 (maybe a few months after the movie), makes sense to start the marketing campaign now.
One of the rumors that accurately called that Rangers was only a working title before the Frontiers name was trademarked said that the game could slip into 2023, so I wouldn't get your hopes up for an Early 2022 release.

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
One of the rumors that accurately called that Rangers was only a working title before the Frontiers name was trademarked said that the game could slip into 2023, so I wouldn't get your hopes up for an Early 2022 release.
oh well, haven't followed the most recent ones. they should take their time though.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Frontiers has been in development for a long ass time, and was also basically internally delayed last year, so they have certainly taken their time with it.

The leaked details do give me hope that Sega has found a decent way to evolve Sonic without going full stupid like Lost World or just fall flat on its face like Forces.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Chances are we are going to see a slightly extended version of the May trailer and thats all lol

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Chances are we are going to see a slightly extended version of the May trailer and thats all lol
Don't think this will be all but yeah, going by previous history the most anyone should expect is perhaps a minute of gameplay like they showed at SXSW pre-covid

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Me too friend, me too

After Colours and Generations I was so optimistic for the series future, I was happy to be a Sonic fan.
After the last decade that came right after that pair, Sonic has fallen down my fave franchises list (even with Mania being rad), because I just assume mediocrity now.
they even screwed up colours ultimate

Which is to say, please don't be shit Frontiers

stinkyguy666

Nov 4, 2017
for me this was directly after Generations released in 2011

I was so confident that they had finally got on track and were set to follow it up with a 3D Sonic that was truly great

then they released Lost World... and then Forces...

my hopes are shattered. I have no idea if this game will be good... I just don't know what to expect.

but when you're at rock bottom, the only way is up I guess?

Evoker

Oct 25, 2017
Please be just as good if not better than Colors or Generation. Would love for it to match the highs I got from playing Sonic Mania.

Unlovedjew

Oct 26, 2017
i have no faith after forces and colors ultimate but god id love a good new sonic game from sonic team

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
this had some time in the oven so I'm a little hopeful

then again, so did force but that also had some troubled development

Malajax

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah after Generations and being convinced Lost World was done by the "B team", I had a lot of hope for Forces. Surely with 4+ years of development it's gotta be amazing! They really took their time with that one! Then we know how that turned out...

I still have hope for Sonic games, but it's hard when they even dropped the ball with Mania (how there was no follow-up to the best sonic game in over a decade is baffling). I hope this can be an actual launching pad for more Sonic projects that aren't movies or TV shows.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Bring back playing as characters other than sonic(not just shadow)

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Yeah after Generations and being convinced Lost World was done by the "B team", I had a lot of hope for Forces. Surely with 4+ years of development it's gotta be amazing! They really took their time with that one! Then we know how that turned out...

I still have hope for Sonic games, but it's hard when they even dropped the ball with Mania (how there was no follow-up to the best sonic game in over a decade is baffling). I hope this can be an actual launching pad for more Sonic projects that aren't movies or TV shows.
Someone linked to a YouTube video on the subject in here already, but Forces' four-year development time is a bit of a mirage - the "next Sonic game" project went through a major reboot around 2015. While I'm not super optimistic about Frontiers/Rangers/whatever it ends up being called, I also wouldn't necessarily read into Forces' issues as guaranteeing the next game will suck too.

I'm *really* hoping this game gets significantly more proper development time than that purported "12 or so months" Forces got.

I never want to play a Sonic game with level design that atrocious again.
I'm hardly 3D Sonic's harshest critic but I definitely feel that, basically every modern stage was Straight Line Zone. If y'all ever find yourselves asking why Sonic is too hard and why you can't just go fast all the time, Forces is your answer.

I will say that some of the mods that try and "fix" Forces have been pretty impressive - it still doesn't sit among the greats by any means, but Forces Reimagined for instance manages to make Sunset Heights way more memorable by introducing Shadow into the stage as a hazard, rather than just ending with him standing dully at the goal ring.

Malajax

Oct 27, 2017
Someone linked to a YouTube video on the subject in here already, but Forces' four-year development time is a bit of a mirage - the "next Sonic game" project went through a major reboot around 2015. While I'm not super optimistic about Frontiers/Rangers/whatever it ends up being called, I also wouldn't necessarily read into Forces' issues as guaranteeing the next game will suck too.
I'm not saying Frontiers is gonna suck based on the failures of Forces. SEGA/Sonic Team seem to be acutely aware of the problem and have been course-correcting since. I hope its fantastic. First impressions are everything here, so I hope they knock this reveal out of the park. Can't fall into the trap of more time=more quality anymore.

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
I will say that some of the mods that try and "fix" Forces have been pretty impressive - it still doesn't sit among the greats by any means, but Forces Reimagined for instance manages to make Sunset Heights way more memorable by introducing Shadow into the stage as a hazard, rather than just ending with him standing dully at the goal ring.

It always striked me as odd how Sonic modders create these awesome mods. Really wish Sega to make someday an official Sonic Creator game a la Little Big Planet.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
With it being open world we don't have to worry about the stiffness of the boost games when not boosting

Or the weird thing from lost world and forces when sonic is slower when moving to the left or right.

I hope we get a fluid spin dash sonic for the open world and controls on par or better then generations for the cyber space levels