• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It is absolutely miraculous how good Sonic Generations looks and plays on Series X now. It's genuinely kind of surreal that this game came out not one, but two generations ago. There are recent indie games people consider very good looking that straight up don't look this good.

And with the new FPS boost, holy fuck does it play well. Like a dream. The 3D Sonic levels are honestly to the point where I'm trying not to blink too often due to how fast shit's moving. It gives that sense of speed that so few other games do.

This thread isn't much more than that. It feels like I'm playing a brand new game, and despite what a certain other front page thread says, I think this version of Sonic Generations might take the crown as the best Sonic game ever.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
In my view, it's why games from the 360/PS3 don't need remakes

4k and 60fps port/remaster is all you need for most of them

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea it looked great even for the time it came out. It also has the bonus of being the last good sonic game imo. Are you playing it through gamepass? if so I might give it another go, its short enough to beat within a week.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
That sounds great. I wish Auto HDR on PC supported DirectX 9 titles.

May 25, 2019
London
It is absolutely miraculous how good Sonic Generations looks and plays on Series X now. It's genuinely kind of surreal that this game came out not one, but two generations ago. There are recent indie games people consider very good looking that straight up don't look this good.

And with the new FPS boost, holy fuck does it play well. Like a dream. The 3D Sonic levels are honestly to the point where I'm trying not to blink too often due to how fast shit's moving. It gives that sense of speed that so few other games do.

This thread isn't much more than that. It feels like I'm playing a brand new game, and despite what a certain other front page thread says, I think this version of Sonic Generations might take the crown as the best Sonic game ever.

is there a reason to try this version over the PC one? Was it a bad port?

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Yea it looks fucking great. Didn't run well on the consoles it debuted on, but it really is a great game that looks fantastic. I wanna play through it again.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Unleashed and Generations on a Series X look and play better than Forces and Colours Ultimate on the same hardware; it's pretty sad to think about.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, this one was pretty mind-blowing for me.

A game that I purchased on Xbox 360 over a decade ago that ran at 720p/20-30fps/no HDR now runs at 4k/60fps/HDR, completely for free and with the same SKU. And it looks incredible. That's pushing 8 times the original pixel count at 2-3 times the frame rate.

I mean, this is an Xbox 360 game:

Just amazing stuff.

Last edited:

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Long time Sonic fan who came to terms with the Sonic games generally not being very good, I remember enjoying Generations for a bit but stopping at some point with a frustrating level.

I enjoyed Sonic Mania a lot though but I feel like I don't really get how to most enjoy the sonic games, mainly because I don't care for trying to play fast/memorize levels etc. Is that the main way to enjoy sonic games these days? I'm so confused.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I might get this eventhough I have the game on Steam, only because the PC version seems to have random issues with controller detection and it doesn't seem to have HDR support (even with Windows 11/auto HDR)

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim

A game that I purchased on Xbox 360 over a decade ago now runs at 4k/60fps/HDR, completely for free and with the same SKU. And it looks incredible.

Just amazing stuff.

Omg, it's soooo smooth when he's switching rails! GODDAMN! I'm getting an adrenaline rush just watching.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA

A game that I purchased on Xbox 360 over a decade ago that ran at 720p/20-30fps/no HDR now runs at 4k/60fps/HDR, completely for free and with the same SKU. And it looks incredible. That's pushing 8 times the original pixel count at 2-3 times the frame rate.

Just amazing stuff.

Mother of god...

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got this already, gotta get Racing Transformed too.

Sonic Generations good

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Guess I'll ask here: what's the cheapest way to acquire most of these Xbox compatible games?

I imagine ebay prices are inflating due to the update.

Aaron

Iā€™m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Long time Sonic fan who came to terms with the Sonic games generally not being very good, I remember enjoying Generations for a bit but stopping at some point with a frustrating level.

I enjoyed Sonic Mania a lot though but I feel like I don't really get how to most enjoy the sonic games, mainly because I don't care for trying to play fast/memorize levels etc. Is that the main way to enjoy sonic games these days? I'm so confused.
Not ripping on you specifically, I just find it odd whenever people are like "I don't know how to properly enjoy Sonic games." I meanā€¦ they're platformers. You make your way to the end of the stage, and then move onto the next one. It literally has to be no different than Mario or Mega Man.

There is an element that encourages speedrunning and score attacking for replayability, but you don't have to do that if you don't want to. However there is a difficulty curve in the older games that meant you'd often go right back to the beginning anyway and sharpen your skills to navigate the early levels quicker. This gets lost in the modern games which have more generous save features.

But it's still a sonic game.
This shit is lame, man. Especially considering Generations is actually held in pretty well regard.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Etp2u-4WQAsX7p-

I mean its a looker at high resolution..

Mad Gamer 64

Nov 6, 2017
Guess I'll ask here: what's the cheapest way to acquire most of these Xbox compatible games?

Physical prices do usually go up after games are announced as BC from what I've seen but not always drastically. Digital prices for most games are pretty reasonable and I've seen a decent number of 360 games go on sale for 50-75% off awhile after becoming compatible. Except in rare cases it'll probably come down to personal preference and comparing on a game-by-game basis. With Generations, for example, it's $20 digital and most physical copies seem like they're in the $15-$25 range used.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
There are quite a few PS3/360 era games that would look fantastic in 4k60. This is certainly one of them. Would love to see Resistance 3 like this, too.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020

You can buy the majority digitally on the store, including this one. Some of the disc only delisted ones are inflating yeah. Picked up Lego LOTR super cheap on eBay before anyone takes notice. Most of the rest I will wait for sales on the digital.

Here is a list of the ones from yesterday's update

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are quite a few PS3/360 era games that would look fantastic in 4k60. This is certainly one of them. Would love to see Resistance 3 like this, too.
Ugh, imagine if Sony gave their legacy the reverence it deserves. Imagine the Resistance trilogy, Killzone trilogy, MGS4, Sly Cooper, etc.. etc.. restored to 4K/60fps.

So sad that we'll likely never see it happen.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It seems I actually OWN Sonic Generationsā€¦.somehow. Maybe it was on Gold at some point.

Oh well, thanks Microsoft!

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Not ripping on you specifically, I just find it odd whenever people are like "I don't know how to properly enjoy Sonic games." I meanā€¦ they're platformers. You make your way to the end of the stage, and then move onto the next one. It literally has to be no different than Mario or Mega Man.

There is an element that encourages speedrunning and score attacking for replayability, but you don't have to do that if you don't want to. However there is a difficulty curve in the older games that meant you'd often go right back to the beginning anyway and sharpen your skills to navigate the early levels quicker. This gets lost in the modern games which have more generous save features.

I guess my issue with this line of reasoning is that, at least with the original trilogy/Mania, the platforming isnt really... the focus. The game doesnt seem designed like a platformer. At least not in the way Im used to. Its not providing you with ramping challenges or teaching you new skills and mechanics. The levels have some vague gimmicks but much of the time they seem mostly aesthetic.

The games are platformers but they don't feel like they're *about* platforming.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I 100%'d it on PC, and can render it at absurd graphics, but I'll dip back into this again. Sonic Generations is the best boost Sonic by every metric. Excited to play Sonic Unleashed at 60, too.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York

Just amazing stuff.

Wow yeah that looks freakin great.