• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
https://schedule.sxsw.com/2018/events/PP99104

Sonic is back, and ready to take 2018 by storm. Join the official team from SEGA who are building Sonic's future as they give you an update on last year's strong performance of Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces, as well as the world-exclusive first look at what comes next for the fastest blue hedgehog.

I saw a video on a gaming related YouTube channel that SEGA confirmed that Sonic would have an official panel at SXSW announcing a new Sonic game and looked it up myself on SXSW's schedule to verify, official SXSW link including the above description and everyone attending the panel above. It will presumably be live-streamed because last year's Sonic Forces SXSW panel was.

March 16 BTW.

EDIT: For people who keep wondering why Sonic would reveal a new game this year when there was a 3 year break between Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric and Sonic Mania/Forces:
Sonic used to be an annual franchise before it took a few years off for Sonic Mania and Forces. Considering they said they'd announce the sales for both of thegames at the panel as well as a first look at the next game, it's safe to say that both games did well enoughto warrant going back to the annual schedule.

Last edited:

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh no... Sonic boom 2? Can't be an internal game by either team that released last year, given how long the Dev cycles for both mania and forces were.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seems pretty soon for a big new game. So I'm guessing it's either a spin off or Mania DLC.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic 4 by Christian Whitehead and the other teams who made Sonic Mania please.

It really bugs me that the "sequel" to Sonic 1-3K is... that.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic Mania 2 sounds like a great thing. Loved the first one.

Zero interest in anything with cutscenes or talking or 3D graphics.

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA

BlandrewYT

Nov 27, 2017
If it's ANOTHER boost game, I just won't buy it. It's getting old at this point, and they always have some other gameplay that completely takes away from it. Mania 2 or something is welcome. Sonic All Stars Racing 3 would be my dream. Even a different take on 3D Sonic I'll take. Just for the love of God, NO BOOST!

Oct 28, 2017
Sonic extreme finally getting released?
ue6wbsuhtiwpunnnbvnj.png
Sonic-Xtreme.jpg

sosth_xtreme5.jpg

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Always looking forward to seeing what's next, even if it doesn't always turn out great.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Sonic Mania 2, let's go.

Could not care less about whatever garbage Sonic Team is making, though.

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Sonic Mania 2, let's go.

Could not care less about whatever garbage Sonic Team is making, though.
Sonic Team isn't completely bad. They are a hit-or-miss studio, they've made some good sonic games, some mediocre ones and some really horrible ones. You never know what you'll get with them. Sonic Forces I think would've been a good game if it weren't for the terrible level design and the fact levels take 1 minute to complete and AI doesn't attack you.

Also SEGA had surveys for what fans did or didn't like about Mania and Forces so if they listen to us, a sequel could be good.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
- Sonink, a Splatoon clone
- Sonic Battle Royale
- Sonic + Rabbids: Green Hill Battle
- Sonic Boom 2: Electric Boomgaloo
- Sonic Egg-cellent Trilogy
- Sonic League, like soccer but with edge

I think there's a lot of potential for a 2018 Sonic game.

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
This really only applies to 3D Sonic. Considering Sonic Forces was in Development for four years, the only way a new 3D Sonic happens is if Sonic Team was working on another Sonic game in addition to Forces for years. Sonic Mania 2 I could actually see release in over a year of development time.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Sonic Team isn't completely bad. They are a hit-or-miss studio, they've made some good sonic games, some mediocre ones and some really horrible ones. You never know what you'll get with them. Sonic Forces I think would've been a good game if it weren't for the terrible level design and the fact levels take 1 minute to complete and AI doesn't attack you.

Also SEGA had surveys for what fans did or didn't like about Mania and Forces so if they listen to us, a sequel could be good.

They have way more misses than hits, in my opinion. I've been more lenient on them than most, but Lost World and Forces were the last straws for me. I've given them more than enough chances. It sucks because there are tiny sparks of brilliance in all of their games, but for me, they're now guilty until proven innocent. Mario gets it right, Crash gets it right, why can't Sonic?

Oct 25, 2017

This has been the song and dance for the past decade and a half. "We've taken fan feedback into consideration, and this year is going to be the best year for Sonic ever, blah blah."

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
More Mania please. Let's get the ratio 60/40 in favor of new stages this time. I do like the revisited stages, but they took too much prominence.

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
They have way more misses than hits, in my opinion. I've been more lenient on them than most, but Lost World and Forces were the last straws for me. I've given them more than enough chances. It sucks because there are tiny sparks of brilliance in all of their games, but for me, they're now guilty until proven innocent. Mario gets it right, Crash gets it right, why can't Sonic?
To me I think Sonic has gotten it right, not everytime sure but they do sometimes. I'd like to mention a few things:
- Sonic Lost World was a response to Super Mario Galaxy's success and Sonic Team didn't realize Sonic doesn't fit that environment because well... he's too fast.

- Sonic Forces to me got the gameplay right, the gameplay was enjoyable. I didn't like the Classic Sonic game mode because the controls felt really bad and it felt unnecessary since we got Mania. The thing that made Sonic Forces mediocre to me was the level design, repetitiveness (how many times can they tell you to go through one stage?), enemies are static and don't attack, QTEs still activate if you miss them so there's no penalty and the fact levels take like 1 minute to complete. For me at least, there were no gameplay related problems where people have always complained about 3D Sonic gameplay changes.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm almost certain the reason Sonic Forces had half the staff, budget, resources and relied primarily on recycled assests was due in part to work underway on a new Sonic game. My guess is a tie-in title for the feature film.

I fucking pray it's not a damn boost game again. So done with boost garbage.

CQC

Oct 25, 2017
This really only applies to 3D Sonic. Considering Sonic Forces was in Development for four years, the only way a new 3D Sonic happens is if Sonic Team was working on another Sonic game in addition to Forces for years. Sonic Mania 2 I could actually see release in over a year of development time.
Fair points, but I can't help being jaded lol

Sonic Mania is great though.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Crash hasn't had a good new game in ages.
A trio of remakes is not a new game. It's not even Sonic Mania

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I'm very happy that the official press release mentions Sonic Mania first, treating it as the more important game of the two. That's a good sign going forward.

Oct 25, 2017
Forces was in development for two years.

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
I'm almost certain the reason Sonic Forces had half the staff, budget, resources and relied primarily on recycled assests was due in part to work underway on a new Sonic game. My guess is a tie-in title for the feature film.

I fucking pray it's not a damn boost game again. So done with boost garbage.
99% sure that the movie was delayed to 2019.