• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EsqBob

Nov 7, 2017
Looks very good, but I'm disappointed because I expected something godlike from these devs

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Looks like a pretty solid and fun game play mechanic to me!

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
If Sega didn't want a Sonic Mania 2, they are beyond help.

I'm done with Kickstarter, but I will certainly follow this project. Trailer looks great.
So SEGA didn't want to do a sequel to the best Sonic game in decades.

That figures and jives with all their other terrible sonic decision. Can't wait to see what stupid gimmick the next game will have.

It's not even the first time they did that. Sonic Colors and Generations finally found a working 3D Sonic formula, despite their flaws. Instead of using that as a base, they do Lost World and then Forces -- which is basically a years-too-late follow-up to Generations except much worse.

It's kind of amazing how Sega continually doesn't understand their own franchises.

They decide to bring back Super Monkey Ball in the form of an HD remaster. Obviously, they would go with the beloved original two games on GameCube, right? No, instead they go for the mediocre Wii game that many fans disliked.

Sonic Mania is considered by many to be the best post-Genesis Sonic game, with some fans claiming it to be the best Sonic game. But no sequel.

The fan base would have been so damn happy with Generations 2 or Mania 2 because there are still so many old games they can pull from and do unique zones with. Instead, they do nothing.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this on Instagram and yeah....this gives me Ristar vibes if the game became a faster paced action platformer. Keeping my eye on this.

Oct 27, 2017
That's nice and all, but goddamn Sega, why aren't you paying these guys to make Mania 2? It's not like Sonic Team are great at making good Sonic games anyway.

nofuckinidea

Oct 25, 2017
If these guys not working on Sonic Mania 2, maybe Whitehead's new studio (Evening Star) is.

Anyway, the gameplay looks promising.

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tried the demo. The game looks and sounds great. But the design and movement are pretty rough. It's in the very early stages though so far things feel off. The character feels way to slow and the grappling doesn't gel as well with the environments and level design as intended.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Looks neat but I don't fund Kickstarter projects anymore.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
The heck...?
Just got an email saying headcannon had cancelled this campaign and more info will come soon on this.

What happened?

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Dang, I though this was a shoe-in to get funded. Apparently not, looking at the numbers.

Maybe Disney wanted their Darkwing Duck game after all...?

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
I'm guessing the funder didn't go that well and he picked up another project with a team. I guess it could be that an indie publisher picked it up instead, seems unlikely.

HellBlazer

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 26, 2017
The campaign was failing hard, unfortunately. Only $13K pledged out of a $275K goal after more than a week. There was basically no chance it was going to make it, and I guess the devs decided to cut things short and (hopefully?) move to a new plan. It will be interesting to see what they have to say in the next update.

Seems odd to me, though. Proven dev who made a well-liked game, solid demo that shows the potential of this one... What more did people want?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The campaign was failing hard, unfortunately. Only $13K pledged out of a $275K goal after more than a week. There was basically no chance it was going to make it, and I guess the devs decided to cut things short and (hopefully?) move to a new plan. It will be interesting to see what they have to say in the next update.

Seems odd to me, though. Proven dev who made a well-liked game, solid demo that shows the potential of this one... What more did people want?

Actual promotion of the campaign so people could see it?

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Sonic Mania is in my Top Five Games of this generation, and is, IMO, the best 2D Sonic game of all time. Other than the pinching mechanic and a couple songs that don't hit the highs of others (and no Shadow for kicks), it's pretty much ... dare I say it.. perfect.

If Sega isn't funneling money to these guys for Mania 2, they really are lost.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018

Heartbreaking and hits too close to home personally.
To quote someone from the youtube comments:
never in my lifetime would think that the people that worked on Sonic Mania are broke
That is just so depressing.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
That video really made me sad. Sonic Mania meant a lot for me, it's a magical game. I would have backed this project if I knew about this... would really like to help the people who made me so happy.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is amazing to me that Sonic Mania doesn't have a greenlighted sequel in the works or that Sega didn't get the team to work on another 2D platform.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It's sad that the cancellation is the first time I'm even hearing of this.
And outrageous that Sonic Mania was handled as "contract work" where the developers get no share of the game sales whatsoever.
I'm sure that happens more than people realize, but Sega should be ashamed.

farmland

Oct 30, 2017
That was the most depressing video I've seen in a long time. I never even heard about the game until it was too late.

Oct 27, 2017
Could another publisher go to them for a new 2D platformer? What retro franchise would their skills with SM lend themselves to outside of any Sega properties?

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I hadn't heard about the KS either and would've been totally on board, especially for $15. I pledged a small amount to his patreon - I can't do large recurring amounts right now but I figure it's a situation where even $2/month helps. I hope they're able to find their way to something that leads to perpetual revenue.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine creating one of the most successful and well reviewed games in the Sonic IP in years and Sega not wanting a sequel of it.

A game that probably cost a 1/10th of what a 3D Sonic Team does and easily can sell as much.

It just blows my mind.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I didn't think this KS game looked very good, but ffs the fact that Sega seemingly kept almost all the profits on Sonic Mania is absurd. Those profits should have funded Mania 2 made by the Mania 1 team.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Sonic Mania is in my Top Five Games of this generation, and is, IMO, the best 2D Sonic game of all time. Other than the pinching mechanic and a couple songs that don't hit the highs of others (and no Shadow for kicks), it's pretty much ... dare I say it.. perfect.

If Sega isn't funneling money to these guys for Mania 2, they really are lost.
100% this.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
The history of Sonic Team is a story of primadonnas.

But how does this even affect ST? It's not like they're making 2D Sonic games on consoles anymore. This just seems like an easy layup for Sega in general. By all accounts Mania sold well, and it's the most critically acclaimed Sonic platformer in several decades.

ginnokane

Oct 28, 2017
I don't really do kickstarter anymore, but I would have backed this if I had heard of it. It really didn't get much press on Era or Reddit, or am I just out of the loop?

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I really, really should reach out to Stealth after this, since it's been so long. I'm so upset at some of the comments that he had to deal with that he mentioned in the video, that's its absolutely frustrating...

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Jeez this video really drives home how messed up the game industry is, I had no idea they weren't getting any royalties. Come on, Sega.

Also the fact it basically confirms there isn't a Mania 2 in development... yikes.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I don't really do kickstarter anymore, but I would have backed this if I had heard of it. It really didn't get much press on Era or Reddit, or am I just out of the loop?

This thread barely got to two pages, not a lot of press and not a lot of buzz from audiences

You will still hear about the big ks projects going forward. For now most of them are either still in or are finishing up development (shenmue 3, psychnauts 2, etc), working on stretch goal stuff (shovel knight, bloodstained, etc.), have funded sequels with profits from the first ks game (yooka laylee, hollow knight, etc.), or were so badly received they've been abandoned (ie mighty no 9).

Oct 28, 2017
Damn....that video is not a good way to start the day.

2 things.

1) I wish everyone on the team the best, and look forward to backing whatever they got when the time comes. As a fan from way back, Sonic Mania meant so much to me and if a pattern/Kickstarter is a better way to support these folks than buying the 3 copies of SM that I did? Sign me up.

2) Just gonna add my voice to the chorus of "fuck the games industry". It's not often you're given a pulling back of the curtain like this on the lives of contract workers, and as a freelancer myself my heart goes out to them. While I get it, there was a contract, and they agreed to it, it's fucking depressing. You want evidence of "boostraps/sweat of your brow" style stuff being a myth? Well here you go.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck this "Weird Sega is back!" thread where people argued that licensed games like Shenmue 3 and Street of Rage 4 or outsourced projects like Sonic Mania was proof that Sega was great. Well, the Mania dev is broke and Sega doesn't give a cent to those licensed games.