• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Can't bring myself to triple-dip (originally did but refunded one) for physical but DLC is a maybe if it's cheap enough. Mighty might(y) will be fun if they go the Megamix route with him. Still think they should have gone with Amy (with Advance 1 playstyle) instead of Ray though.
Denuvo free on PC? Would buy if so.
You know, a DRM-free physical + Steam gift code (like, say, this one for Machinarium) would have worked really well for Mania -- don't even need a DVD, they could fit the entire game and then some on one CD!

But alas.

Hopefully the devs raised a stink about the DRM on the Steam version so that can change; I think Stealth in particular was pretty livid about it at the time.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
That DLC better not be too much. I have a feeling it's gonna be $10 so it matches the price of the physical edition overall. Which wouldn't be too bad actually.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like they just choose those characters to troll the sonic fans, rather then any actual care for them.

Seems cool, will probably finally pick it up.

I think if you look at the characters they've included, they've largely tried to reference games up to 1994/1995. Mighty and Ray would fit right into that time of the series of characters that existed and are established.

I think the only ones missing from that period of OG Sonic are the Chaotix.

Tiny Hawk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Time to triple dip! Picked the game up on Switch at launch and same with PC later down the line, so probably physical PS4 copy. I love this game so much.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I think if you look at the characters they've included, they've largely tried to reference games up to 1994/1995. Mighty and Ray would fit right into that time of the series of characters that existed and are established.

I think the only ones missing from that period of OG Sonic are the Chaotix.

Amy and Metal Sonic exist...

Spades

Oct 26, 2017
Awesome; and the perfect excuse to double dip on the game for me as I'll pick it up on Switch now to go with my Xbox original version.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who does the art for this? It looks like it came straight from the Genesis era.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently Sega knows people loved Sonic Mania and this is the route they need to follow to make the hedgehog great again.

I'm pretty hyped for the animated series.

Oct 25, 2017
Physical? Like is this getting an actual Switch cart now? That's what I wanted from the damn beginning. Don't tell me now they finally did it because I'll probably get the damn thing and I don't even care about the new features.

I should be strong and resist.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Im annoyed theyve decided to a physical after I bought it digitally... But oh well, Ray and Mighty are back?! Legit hyped. I wonder how different Encore mode is. I can't wait to give this another go this summer.

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
Dammit. I literally just bought this on Switch last week. Wasn't even on sale either. Would have much preferred a physical version as I don't even time to play it.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
So when they say physical they mean on an actual disc/cartridge? Not like some download code?

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Why no OC creator like in Sonic Forces? Shouldn't be impossible to do something like that, right? It'd just be a sprite editor.

That'd be even harder since the character creator would require a brand new sprite sheet. The characters in Mania are so expressive that a generic animation set that a CaC would require would be out of place.

A new game+ mode with remixed versions of every level.

I'm torn. I'm happy about this, but I just want Mania 2 already, although this is better than DLC levels, this still takes away resources from that.

cervanky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna nitpick and say....it should've been a Saturn alternate cover. Mania was sort of like a "what-if" follow-up to Sonic 3 & Knuckles as if it continued on in real life at the time, hence the Saturn-style look to the special stages. I think I read Taxman describe it as a "Saturn-esque" game too.
sonic_mania___sega_saturn_cover__fan_made__by_saturnphoenix-dbb2tya.png

sonic-mania-special-stage-980x620.jpg

Last edited:

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
I totally would have gladly paid extra for a physical copy at launch, but I'm not going to rebuy the game now. :/

Don't know if I'll get the DLC either to be honest, I want actual new stages.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
Fuckin Ray but not Amy Rose? Come on.

Seriously.

She's essentially the forth member of Team Sonic has a classic sprite and has been playable in a variety of platform games both 2D and 3D. Not mention appearing in almost all Sonic titles since Sonic Adventure.

ImaginaryKindheartedLarva-size_restricted.gif

f9f.gif

And most of all she provides a playable female option.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I'm gonna nitpick and say....it should've been a Saturn alternate cover. Mania was a "what-if" follow-up to Sonic 3 & Knuckles as if it continued on in real life at the time, hence the Saturn-style look to the special stages.
sonic_mania___sega_saturn_cover__fan_made__by_saturnphoenix-dbb2tya.png

sonic-mania-special-stage-980x620.jpg

Agreed but hey, US/JP Saturn cover mockups have been a thing since the original game's announcement. No doubt someone will whip up a Saturn (Hell, someone might probably do Dreamcast or some shit) custom cover.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Not interested. I bought the game on Switch because of the hype and the great reviews but it was such a disappointing game. One of the most overrated game ever ! So I'll pass.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I wonder how remixed these encore stages are going to be?
I would've taken a new stage or two over Mighty/Ray, but I'm just happy this game is getting any additional content at all. Will buy the DLC and double dip in the physical edition.