• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JP Cubish

Nov 6, 2017
Glad to see waiting for a physical copy paid off. Now if only Capcom could give the Disney Afternoon Collection the retail release it deserves.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I just had a thought. What if in addition to being able to glide like Knuckles but not be able to break walls like Knuckles, they give Ray the ability to gain height once per glide like a certain other flying squirrel...

3Ty6lAI.png

My completely uninformed guess: Amy didn't get included because her 2D playstyle is very unique and different than the other characters in a way that would make her more challenging to implement (ie, no rolling, no spin jump, hammer attacks) and would require a lot of work and possibly level design changes that would be outside the time and budget they had to make this.
I can't think of any reason they would need to change the levels for Amy. The whole point of her was playing with her unique playstyle in levels that weren't designed for it. She has a dash to get her up to speed to make it through loops and stuff in lieu of a spindash (and they can give her her version of super peel out as well), she has a hammer jump that can allow her to take paths Sonic can't reach. They can just force a roll for tubes, which is how Advance 1 did it.

If "playable Amy" means "redesign her gameplay to be completely different from everyone else" like in Adventure 1, Advance 1, and Sonic 2006, then I'd honestly rather have her not playable at all.

Is it really that hard to just start her off with the standard core mechanics (spin attack, roll, maybe spindash) as everyone else before thinking of ways to make it feel unique? I don't recall much outcry from her having the same playstyles as everyone else in Adventure 2: Battle (2P modes), Heroes, or the Advance sequels (mainly Adv. 2, Adv. 3 applies to a lesser extent).

There was outcry over it for Advance 2. It took away everything unique about her and made her boring. Advance 2 did that with every character in general, though. All the levels were downhill races where the character you picked pretty much didn't matter because levels were only designed around Sonic anyway. Not only that, unlocking her was the most awful unlocking experience in the series and her being barely different from Sonic made it not worth it.

Check out this Sonic 3 Amy Rose mod:

This is how Amy should play and there's no need to tailor the levels for her.

Last edited:

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017

I hear you but I believe their thinking is adding playable characters from the Genesis era, and Amy wasn't playable until the Modern games. Personally I'd like to see Blaze as the 4th playable character in Mania — introduce her in the Classic series and keep her as part of the main heroes.

Blaze is a better "action hero" than Amy, who is probably better suited to being a recurring NPC (in the Classic series).

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Man, I was just on my Amazon shopping cart a couple of days back and noticed I had the SM download code saved to buy later, ha

I've waited this long, a few more months is nothing. Glad they went with the obscure, original shitty friends for this one, I'm sure the rest of them will start creeping in over the next couple of SMs (and we inevitably start turning on it if they start making it more complex again unncessarily, like adding a human girlfriend or having a werehog. Although...).

NiteJohn

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprise that they add Ray. Mighty has been used before, but Ray seem to have been mothballed. Depending on the price I might get the DLC.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
There was outcry over it for Advance 2. It took away everything unique about her and made her boring. Advance 2 did that with every character in general, though. All the levels were downhill races where the character you picked pretty much didn't matter because levels were only designed around Sonic anyway. Not only that, unlocking her was the most awful unlocking experience in the series and her being barely different from Sonic made it not worth it.

If you check my post, I said there was not >>much<< outcry over her playing nearly the same as anyone else. I'm sure some people complained about her changed moveset but I highly doubt it was a significant lot. Far less visible compared to people who complained about her gameplay in, say, games like Adventure 1 or Sonic 2006. You're also neglecting to mention that Amy still had a fair amount of hammer attacks in Advance 2 as well, so it's not like they redesigned her to be a literal palette swap of Sonic in the midst of the changes they made.

As for E-122 psi's trilogy of Amy hacks, I can't really say I'm much of a fan of her gameplay in those titles either. Her core mechanics in those titles are still visibly based around that of Advance 1, which are designed more around precision platforming that call for much more cautious gameplay in both her movement and her attacks (which are also more dependent on combat, since lack of spin attack/roll/spindash prohibits her from destroying enemies easily); a big shift from the momentum-based platforming that other characters have. Playing as Amy in the hacks and the games I've mentioned to have a problem with for me feel like playing a character designed for an entirely different game; since the level design/gameplay focus isn't inherently built around those mechanics. Which I guess is fun for some (hence the main appeal of her being a "Hard Mode"); but in my book feels more like a chore, and is ultimately way more frustrating than it is fun. The least I can give those hacks is that the level design in the classic games is much stronger in Advance 1, so her playstyle is more tolerable in the hacks compared to that title.

Last edited:

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
I hear you but I believe their thinking is adding playable characters from the Genesis era, and Amy wasn't playable until the Modern games. Personally I'd like to see Blaze as the 4th playable character in Mania — introduce her in the Classic series and keep her as part of the main heroes.

Blaze is a better "action hero" than Amy, who is probably better suited to being a recurring NPC (in the Classic series).
Is Blaze the Hedgehog a fan creation? Can't imagine they'd ever add something
Ike that. Plus Blaze sounds a bit too try-hard. There's plenty of classic characters to add after Mania Plus. There's the remaining Chaotix, the Snipe (Game Gear one), Sonic the Fighters characters. At that point I'm sure they can create new characters that fit with the others if needed.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is Blaze the Hedgehog a fan creation? Can't imagine they'd ever add something
Ike that. Plus Blaze sounds a bit too try-hard. There's plenty of classic characters to add after Mania Plus. There's the remaining Chaotix, the Snipe (Game Gear one), Sonic the Fighters characters. At that point I'm sure they can create new characters that fit with the others if needed.
It's Blaze the Cat, and no she is official. She's from the Rush games which are some of the best non-Classic Sonic games ever.

I also have no idea how you can assume she is "try hard" based on her name alone. She's one of the better designed and developed Sonic characters.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Both characters look like if Sonic had done the fusion dance with Tails and Knuckles.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
It's Blaze the Cat, and no she is official. She's from the Rush games which are some of the best non-Classic Sonic games ever.

I also have no idea how you can assume she is "try hard" based on her name alone. She's one of the better designed and developed Sonic characters.
I said the name sounds try hard. Had no idea what the character looked like. In my mind Blaze was a crude fan drawing of what basically looks like Sonic but with piercings, baggy jeans, wife beater, sunglasses, frosted spine tips. Maybe holding a condom in his/her mouth? I dunno. Better to stick to the look of the Mania/CD animations for character design, which are timeless. No need to bring in characters from the 2000s onward. Glad their doing a series of Mania animations.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Amy was playable in the spinoffs pre-Adventure such as the Sonic Drift titles, Sonic R and Sonic the Fighters which is more than Mighty and especially Ray who are blatant Sonic clones.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Amy was playable in the spinoffs pre-Adventure such as the Sonic Drift titles, Sonic R and Sonic the Fighters which is more than Mighty and especially Ray who are blatant Sonic clones.
Heh, yeah, in SegaSonic Arcade Mighty and Ray don't even play different from Sonic and in Knuckles Chaotix the only thing Mighty has that differentiates him from Sonic is he can wall jump. Ray has never even been in a 2D game at all. I imagine they're going to make Ray play like Knuckles but without the ability to break walls, but I dunno what they're going to do with Mighty; give him an air dash?

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I said the name sounds try hard. Had no idea what the character looked like. In my mind Blaze was a crude fan drawing of what basically looks like Sonic but with piercings, baggy jeans, wife beater, sunglasses, frosted spine tips. Maybe holding a condom in his/her mouth? I dunno. Better to stick to the look of the Mania/CD animations for character design, which are timeless. No need to bring in characters from the 2000s onward. Glad their doing a series of Mania animations.

:/

She looks like this

Her design is solid and it wouldn't be hard to scale it down either. While I can understand wanting just keeping mania to classic characters only, Blaze is leaps and bounds over the other friends.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a weird assumption. I've actually met two people irl with the name Blaze and they are perfectly normal. Not sure what about the name alone leads to certain implications.

And seems rather arbitrary to say "nah" when you admit you don't even know who she is. She could easily be scaled down to the artstyle of the Classic games.

This fanart translates her pretty well.
415.jpg

Plaguefox

Oct 27, 2017
Oh cool, wasn't expecting an expansion to the game, and it's nice to see a physical release now. Seems a bit...late? I feel most physical sales are gonna be a small portion since most people who wanted the game probably already have it, but I guess there's also a good number who still haven't heard of the game or have been waiting for a physical copy, so it still makes sense I suppose.

I think Mania has a lot of potential for continued expansions, but those aspects of the logo have been there from the beginning, so they probably don't mean anything.

header.jpg
Now that Plus has filled out the bottom part of the round frame behind the wordmark, I wonder what DLC/expansion/whatever will fill in the spot above it.

Soulstar

Oct 25, 2017
I would love to have Blaze in the next game these guys make. She deserves to be in good games.

Village

Oct 25, 2017

Like I mean, timeless is subjective? I mean, if you wanna get real about it, most people don't know who who the two characters just added to this game are. And people in this game are fawning over blaze, a character interoduced past 2000. And then there's that shadow guy, who's more popular than everyone. I don't think one should be claiming what is and isn't timeless in a franchise like this, its super subjected and devided. Also looking up the characters people are talking about might help

Forget Blaze. She is too good for this franchise. Seemingly SEGA thinks that too.
I think its a combination of She wasn't too popular, which is unfortunate and the much larger issue. Uh sega treating all their female characters not great.

I hope blaze gets more usage, I'm not getting my hopes up though. Sonic team and female characters are a notorious mess that has gone under the radar for quite some time

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Heh, yeah, in SegaSonic Arcade Mighty and Ray don't even play different from Sonic and in Knuckles Chaotix the only thing Mighty has that differentiates him from Sonic is he can wall jump. Ray has never even been in a 2D game at all. I imagine they're going to make Ray play like Knuckles but without the ability to break walls, but I dunno what they're going to do with Mighty; give him an air dash?
I think you answered what Mighty will play like in your post? He's gonna have that Chaotix wall jump for sure.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Game might not just be your jam, but odd to say it's overrated. It's like the people saying SotC and BOTW are overrated just b/c they don't particularly enjoy those games themselves :/

Euh that's precisely the definition of overrated. I love Breath of the Wild, but some people feel the game is overrated because it lacks dungeons. That's their right.

I don't think Sonic Mania deserves all the praises because I don't think the re-imagined parts are good. The new game mechanics are originsl but but they feel un-Sonic sometimes. The new bonus stage is terrible, with a poor 3D. Sonic 2 is one of my favourite game of all time. So when you are re-inventing a Sonic 2 level it better be good. In my opinion it's not. But I'm not saying it's a bad game.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I saw "new characters" and got excited for a moment but... Mighty and Ray? Eh.

No new zones either as far as I can tell.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am legitimately excited with Mighty and Ray returning, didn't think they ever would. The Mania team knows their stuff, wonder how they'll actually play, especially since Ray was never in a proper 2D game.

Personally, I think Amy can be added in the sequel.

I'm pre-ordering this, I can add it to my CE box.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
Euh that's precisely the definition of overrated. I love Breath of the Wild, but some people feel the game is overrated because it lacks dungeons. That's their right.

I don't think Sonic Mania deserves all the praises because I don't think the re-imagined parts are good. The new game mechanics are originsl but but they feel un-Sonic sometimes. The new bonus stage is terrible, with a poor 3D. Sonic 2 is one of my favourite game of all time. So when you are re-inventing a Sonic 2 level it better be good. In my opinion it's not. But I'm not saying it's a bad game.

Sonic Mania makes Oil Ocean and Metallic Madness more interesting and better designed. Same goes for Stardust Speedway.

Deleted member 1074

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wheres that old user who used to rock the mighty avatar he is probably losing his shit right now lol

this is awesome do we know if these will be released for og owners?

Hx]

Oct 28, 2017
Kuwait
Satisfied with today's stream. Glad they didn't rush and announce a new main line sonic few months after forces (it isn't lile I want more time for forces, it's already dead for me)

Quadruple dip ~