• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be fine with a replaced soundtrack S3&K, just make sure there's a PC version with easily modifiable sound files.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure this is a Plus/patch addition, but I JUST noticed during the first phase of the Metal Sonic fight, when you destroy one of those mini silver sonics, they now let you 4 energy balls that can damage Metal Sonic, helping make that first phase much more tolerable.

.....though it's still just easiest to roll dash into them as soon as the silver sonic prepares a spin dash itself when it's right in the middle of the stage.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Pretty sure this is a Plus/patch addition, but I JUST noticed during the first phase of the Metal Sonic fight, when you destroy one of those mini silver sonics, they now let you 4 energy balls that can damage Metal Sonic, helping make that first phase much more tolerable.

.....though it's still just easiest to roll dash into them as soon as the silver sonic prepares a spin dash itself when it's right in the middle of the stage.

Yeah, that was one of the changes made to the standard edition of the game, not Plus.

It's a welcome change. I happened to figure out the trick immediately, but I saw a lot of Let's Players get stuck there for a while.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

Also now they will bounce down, where before I believe they would fly off the top of the screen.

AngelSkye

Jul 25, 2018
It could be just me but whoever was had the task of hiding the Special Stage Rings in Encore Mode they sure did it well.

On Mania mode I could just randomly stumble onto one after exploring a hidden room but in Encore Mode aside from Green Hill I've been struggling to find even 1 a stage.

Probably just going to finish my current Encore playthrough without all the emeralds and then only do the emeralds later.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I somehow managed to complete my first playthrough of Encore Mode while collecting all the Chaos Emeralds. Had to redo Special Stages 1 & 7 quite a few times.

I'm glad I'm good at exploring things in games lol. I looked into so many nooks and crannies to find giant rings once I realized that Encore Mode seems to actually have more of them than Mania Mode. I was surprised to find two in one act on several occasions, and I even found some areas I've never been to in any of my Mania playthroughs!

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I think I found more special stage rings on my first run through Encore mode than I did in Mania mode. I got 6 emeralds about halfway through the game and ignored them for the rest of the game because I wanted to see the bad ending first.

The best-hidden ring was at the old starting location for Knuckles in MSZ2. Didn't actually expect to find anything there.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Do you guys think it would be prudent for the team to give Sonic simultaneous access to all three of special moves?

Drop Dash, Insta-Shield and Super Peelout.

Just map them to different face buttons.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I cannot get the third chaos emerald. No matter how much I increase my speed, the UFO is always at the same distance from me. Every time I do a lap and I turn that corner, he's always in front of my over the barrier, always at the same fucking place.

OP
OP
Virtua Sanus

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I cannot get the third chaos emerald. No matter how much I increase my speed, the UFO is always at the same distance from me. Every time I do a lap and I turn that corner, he's always in front of my over the barrier, always at the same fucking place.
If you are still having trouble I suggest trying to avoid jumping at all costs unless there is a hole or spikes. Jumping slows you down way more than you may expect in the special stages and it oftentimes is hugely faster to run through the rough patches than it is to jump over them.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you are still having trouble I suggest trying to avoid jumping at all costs unless there is a hole or spikes. Jumping slows you down way more than you may expect in the special stages and it oftentimes is hugely faster to run through the rough patches than it is to jump over them.
I had no idea. I'll try that. Thanks.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
I know nobody cares because this game came out more than 2 days ago, but damn its been a while since Ive played a sonic game, (sonic 2), and I cant beat the airship level. I hate how it doesnt start you back at Act 2 and I have to do all of act 1 again. I guess I'm out of practice for older generation games. Its also deflating when you go on forums and people are like "I DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT THE GAME OVER SCREEN LOOKS LIKE HURR DURR". I feel like maybe I wasted my $9 on steam. Idk.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I know nobody cares because this game came out more than 2 days ago, but damn its been a while since Ive played a sonic game, (sonic 2), and I cant beat the airship level. I hate how it doesnt start you back at Act 2 and I have to do all of act 1 again. I guess I'm out of practice for older generation games. Its also deflating when you go on forums and people are like "I DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT THE GAME OVER SCREEN LOOKS LIKE HURR DURR". I feel like maybe I wasted my $9 on steam. Idk.

That's what happens when you run out of lives dude. Hate to say it but... get good?

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
That's what happens when you run out of lives dude. Hate to say it but... get good?

Thanks. That really helps. I guess Ill refund it. I just didnt have any fun with it at all. It seems well crafted and everything. I liked the first couple of zones just fine but this airship level is confusing and annoying in ways that I dont like at all. I accept Im not worthy of this game and ill leave it to the true gamers of the world.

Is there a cheat anywhere for infinite lives so I can actually mess up like a human or what?

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Thanks. That really helps. I guess Ill refund it. I just didnt have any fun with it at all. It seems well crafted and everything. I liked the first couple of zones just fine but this airship level is confusing and annoying in ways that I dont like at all. I accept Im not worthy of this game and ill leave it to the true gamers of the world.

Is there a cheat anywhere for infinite lives so I can actually mess up like a human or what?

You don't deserve to see the ending or be able to play every stage just because you paid $9.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

what are you having trouble with in particular?

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman

Uuuuh you could always just use a trainer and farm lives by collecting rings :p
Flying battery is a stage you may want to try playing thru it slow. You can disable the time counter as well.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
You don't deserve to see the ending or be able to play every stage just because you paid $9.

I know? Im just frustrated at this level. Sorry. I shouldnt have said anything before calming down. Did you have any issues? Knowing someone actually died once in this game would make me feel better lol.

Sorry guys. Let me calm down and take a break and come back to this. I should have waited to post.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Ok. This game is pretty good. Got into the groove. Slowed down. Had a bullshit death with the timer in the middle of the boss but other than that I did pretty good. You guys were right I just needed to get good and slow down a bit. It's cool! Very nostalgic for me.

Like I said I needed to calm down.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Ok. This game is pretty good. Got into the groove. Slowed down. Had a bullshit death with the timer in the middle of the boss but other than that I did pretty good. You guys were right I just needed to get good and slow down a bit. It's cool! Very nostalgic for me.

Like I said I needed to calm down.
You should be able to disable losing if timer runs put. There is an option for it.
Nothing wrong in using it as i myself dont like the time over thing myself ;3

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really love this game but fuck the Oil Ocean 2 boss to death, sometimes these bosses make me rage simply for the time it takes to repeat the previous levels.

Bullshit ass octopus. The insta-death platform stuff fucking blows, absolutely terrible design. I also hate the smoke tactic of stage 2.

I just don't like the oil ocean shit at all.

Last edited:

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
The game is not without its (un)fair amount of issues. I died AFTER beating the Stardust Speedway boss due to some screen scroll glitch throwing me out of the level boundaries and had to do it all over again.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I really love this game but fuck the Oil Ocean 2 boss to death, sometimes these bosses make me rage simply for the time it takes to repeat the previous levels.

Bullshit ass octopus. The insta-death platform stuff fucking blows, absolutely terrible design. I also hate the smoke tactic of stage 2.

I just don't like the oil ocean shit at all.

The Oil Ocean 2 boss was made easier in the free patch that released alongside Plus. Is it still too hard, or did you never install the patch for some reason?

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
When I get a chaos emerald in Encore mode, is the emerald still saved if I decide to quit to the main menu right after?

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When I get a chaos emerald in Encore mode, is the emerald still saved if I decide to quit to the main menu right after?
Do you mean quitting as soon as you return to the level? I'll test it

edit: the game autosaves after a special stage, so I believe it should keep your emerald

Last edited:

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen some youtube video suggestions about Mods for Sonic Mania for PC. So I am wondering if I should triple dip on the game. WHat are the best mods for Sonic Mania Steam version?

Do you mean quitting as soon as you return to the level? I'll test it

edit: the game autosaves after a special stage, so I believe it should keep your emerald

Wait, I never knew this. I've never got all emeralds in any mode, I am so bad at those special stages. Anything else I should know?

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
Dunno, as much as I've watched Sonic Mania Mods on YouTube, I haven't tried any of them besides maybe one and I have no idea what it was.

Oct 30, 2017
I've seen some youtube video suggestions about Mods for Sonic Mania for PC. So I am wondering if I should triple dip on the game. WHat are the best mods for Sonic Mania Steam version?

Wait, I never knew this. I've never got all emeralds in any mode, I am so bad at those special stages. Anything else I should know?
You can just replay Green Hill Zone Act 1 'til you get all the emeralds. The damned Sonic 3 blue sphere levels are the ones that I can't do.

Oct 30, 2017
Keep trying. I think a couple took me about half a dozen attempts, but nothing undoable. I found out you can even catch the UFO without leveling up to max speed after watching a video. Had no idea you could do that...

The blue sphere levels are beyond me. I always mess up when I'm right at the end...

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Guys! Quick question...

In my memory, in the original Sonic the Hedgehog 3, you could make Tails fly while playing as Sonic by pressing jump after jumping in the air..
But in playing around with some roms and romhacks, I see that in the original Sonic 3 rom, AND in Sonic 3 + Knuckles, you can't seem to do this! (Although it's in the Sonic 3 Complete rom hack).

Is my memory wrong? Where did I get this from? Could it really have been as recent as Sonic Mania where this was made possible, or are there cartridge revisions on the original game with this difference?

So confused, thanks!

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Guys! Quick question...

In my memory, in the original Sonic the Hedgehog 3, you could make Tails fly while playing as Sonic by pressing jump after jumping in the air..
But in playing around with some roms and romhacks, I see that in the original Sonic 3 rom, AND in Sonic 3 + Knuckles, you can't seem to do this! (Although it's in the Sonic 3 Complete rom hack).

Is my memory wrong? Where did I get this from? Could it really have been as recent as Sonic Mania where this was made possible, or are there cartridge revisions on the original game with this difference?

So confused, thanks!
You just have to hold Up when you do this.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Guys! Quick question...

So confused, thanks!
I played Sonic 3/K on release and don't remember that at all.
I had to get my little brother to play as Tails so he could airlift me places.

I thought this was a feature added to Mania.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ohhhh, in Sonic 3, right. I misread. Yeah, you needed another controller/player to have Tails carry you.