• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
C'mon Sega, now is the time to capitalize this and port SegaSonic the Hedgehog to every system available!

SEGASONICLOGO.jpg

This, yes, please

It's already got English graphics in the code, just use them!

Hyperfludd

Oct 27, 2017
My target order for this is backordered (Hmmm I wonder why..) til August, lmao. I never played the original release so I'm looking forward to this...eventually!

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
DAMN, they gave us new special stages & they're TOUGH, could barely even get close to the first UFO. Felt like I was playing special stage 5 or 6 again. Can't wait to replay the normal mode with Ray & Mighty. Encore Mode is a neat twist on letting you have all the characters at once but also knowing when to swap them out.

Won't lie that I'm slightly bummed there's no new trophies/achievements, but oh well, I'll still be doing 3 new playthroughs, one on Encore & then 2 more on the regular stages.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
Just picked up the physical and played through the first two levels (Green Hill). Man, the animation, physics, and music definitely feel faithful to the Genesis games. So glad this came out.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
omg Ray's animation for climbing the things in Flying Battery Zone is so good. & yes, first chaos emerald get.

Ray also gets to shine in Flying Battery due to the parts with the open pits & being able to glide over them.

aaahhhh was so damn close to getting the 2nd emerald but I got a time over JUST as I hit a ring box...

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I'm guessing this could be the reason as well. If you compare this with mediocre things like Sonic Advance 3(which in most of cases, it bothers you more than help), this is a years ahead. I mean, I can use Tails-to-rescue without the need of an another player. No problems at all.
Player 1 could already force AI Tails into flight though.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
The physical Xbox version doesn't have the reversible cover. Don't know whats up with that.

juninho

May 25, 2018
Does grabbing this digitally on the Switch involve buying the base game and then DLC separately or is there an all in one download?

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god 3rd special stage introduces a new mechanic of bumper boxes to get over pits. I barely got to mach 2 before getting a time over.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been on the fence with this game since it's launch, and one thing that kept me from buying it was the hearing that the levels and bosses had no checkpoints. You died and you started it all over. Is this still true in the updated version of the game?

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been on the fence with this game since it's launch, and one thing that kept me from buying it was the hearing that the levels and bosses had no checkpoints. You died and you started it all over. Is this still true in the updated version of the game?

That was never true - stages have checkpoints just like the classic Sonic games did. The complaint was mostly that the "save game" feature only works on zones, not acts or checkpoints, so if you quit the game or get a game over halfway through act 2 you have to restart from act 1 when you load your save. Not sure if they've changed this?

Ashgar

Oct 28, 2017
That was never true. The lamp-post things are checkpoints, same as in Sonic 2 or 3.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Three emeralds on my first encore mode run, cripes. Feels like playing a new game in that regard. I could definitely feel all the extra badniks and the occasional new object placement, but at the same time it didn't have any real surprises either outside of special stage rings being somewhat mixed up. New bonus stage is a marked improvement, but it still moves a little slow.

Mighty's ground pound had some nice niche uses, but his hazard defenses were the real highlight. Ray seems neat, but I never did quite wrap my head around him. Character swapping is fun, but management of all five is messy with all the different item box variants that get involved.

New stage palettes are a very mixed bag.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Gets final hit in on new Metal Sonic fight, bomb hits me at the same time, gotta start over.

Like damn, I didn't lose a single character up to this point, but now I lost THREE of them against this single form. I'm just so glad that there's a checkpoint after the "first" form & there's not that long climb to the very top now.

Beat him on the last character. I was being too "quick"/greedy on trying to beat him quickly.

AND THEN I DIE LANDING ON SPIKES IN HYDROCITY. Oh well, least I had 4 continues, but freakin' hell, what a cheap way to die.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Man, I'm more disappointed than I expected to be that activating "& Knuckles" mode on a Sonic & Tails file doesn't allow you to have all three characters on the screen at once.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Ray certainly interesting. His glide is actually pretty neat, but it soon becomes readily apparent that these stages were not designed with it in mind at all. There are certain stretches where you can kind of get some distance, but there are a lot of things that end up breaking your flow, and it's really not even complimentary to any of the platforming either.

What I like about Ray is that even though it's hard to fly through the majority of the level like it's Super Mario World (although I'm sure some godlike speedrunners will be doing that soon enough), you can use his glide for lots of little moments here and there. It's like having Knuckles' glide but you don't lose all momentum after using it unless you want to PLUS the ability to get vertical height like Tails PLUS the ability to be fast while you're doing it like Sonic.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
How the hell has someone managed to get 33 seconds on GHZ Act 2 as Ray?
I managed like 1:05 (which was admittedly sloppy, and I could've got it down to like just over 50 seconds on a clean run), but that was 3rd on the leaderboards, and 2nd place was only a few seconds faster than me.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like Encore mode but I wish you could switch everyone you accumulated at will. Do I want a 2D Sonic Heroes mode just now? Maybe.

How does Ray work? I don't get him really.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this would have any value to me....I can't even beat the main quest haha

If I'm not interested in harder challenges and would never notice what's different about a remixed stage, is there anything else that is interesting to a player who just wants to have some light fun? The two new characters look like they may be worth it and it is only $5...

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I like Encore mode but I wish you could switch everyone you accumulated at will. Do I want a 2D Sonic Heroes mode just now? Maybe.

How does Ray work? I don't get him really.
He's basically the cape from Super Mario World, only with extra momentum. If he's already moving quickly when you start a glide he'll get some distance, but you can build more momentum by diving.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, question. Do you always get the Knuckles version of Mirage Saloon in Encore, or do you only get it if you have Knuckles out?

Also pleased with the Stardust Speedway to Hydrocity transition, but the Hydrocity one is...okay? It KIND OF explains how they went from there to Mirage Saloon, but not entirely? So far, the Flying Battery to Press Garden one might be the coolest new one.

Terranort

Oct 27, 2017
Man Ray is so much fun. In the right stages you can get so much air time its kind of ridicoulous much like the cape in smw.

I have already completes encore mode but I still need to get all the chaos emeralds, the new special stages are freaking hard.

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017

It was never true.
Sure if you got Game over you'd restart at the beginning of the Level. But if you die and you have 6 lives left, you restart at the last checkpoint.

THIJJ

Oct 26, 2017
Ray & Mighty are so much fun to play as. Ray's glide seems especially OP as you can get serious hang-time/lift with the right timing.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I literally got this DLC for free thanks to all my saved up eShop gold coins.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
It was never true.
Sure if you got Game over you'd restart at the beginning of the Level. But if you die and you have 6 lives left, you restart at the last checkpoint.
just to be a pedant, this is technically true if you're playing no save mode, but that's completely optional anyway.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Man, one of these just sticks out like a sore thumb. Can't put my finger on it.

Oh yeah, it's Cream the Rabbit, her ears are backwards.
ampbdMz.jpg

who's the one in the top right, the blonde human next to elise and the two in the bottom right (not shade)?

Top right is generic Sonic Boom NPC.

Blonde girl is Maria from Sonic Adventure 2...

Bottom right 2 are Honey the Cat from Sonic the Fighters
aXGdjMK.png

She was a beta character based on Honey from Fighting Vipers and wasn't playable in the actual game:
DEHWjjO.png

And the last one is Tiara Boobowski from the unfinished Sonic Xtreme
53YVdPe.jpg

6iutw.gif

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
who's the one in the top right, the blonde human next to elise and the two in the bottom right (not shade)?
1) Maria (Shadow's friend from Sonic Adventure 2)
2) Honey the Cat (cut, then restored character from Sonic the Fighters based on Honey from Fighting Vipers) and Tiara Boobowski (character from canceled game Sonic X-Treme)

I didn't know who it was on the top right nvm

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I'm getting a feeling no one play tested Encore mode. Flying Battery Zone has all kinds of goofy stuff happening. I lost 2 characters from falling down a pit, because it swapped over to the next character but then killed the next one and shoved me back to the checkpoint after losing 2. Also during the boss I lost a character because I'm trash, but the fight continued. But as I beat the boss I hit the spikes with no rings and it kicks me to before the boss.
I mean this feels rather inconsistent.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was never true - stages have checkpoints just like the classic Sonic games did. The complaint was mostly that the "save game" feature only works on zones, not acts or checkpoints, so if you quit the game or get a game over halfway through act 2 you have to restart from act 1 when you load your save. Not sure if they've changed this?

That was never true. The lamp-post things are checkpoints, same as in Sonic 2 or 3.

It was never true.
Thanks. Yes, that's what I was talking about. So that hasn't changed though? If you die you're back at the start? I heard that was frustrating on the bosses.