• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
gotBLGm.jpg

Platforms: Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, PC (digital only)
Price for the physical edition: $29.99 / £24.99
Price for the expansion if you already own the base game: $4.99 / £3.99

scdZUD2.png

The most notable addition to the game is Encore Mode. This is a 'hard mode' rework of the base game with altered layouts, visuals, seven new special stages, a new bonus pinball game and an entirely reworked lives system where you dynamically add all five characters to your roster and swap between them throughout your playthrough. Mighty and Ray will also be playable in Mania mode.

Another addition is that Competition Mode now is expanded to have four player splitscreen. This is still offline only though, sadly.

If you decide to not buy the expansion you will be happy to hear that several bugfixes and improvements to the game are rolling out for all versions too, including an entirely reworked Metal Sonic boss!

Here is what comes with the physical addition:

And yes, the European version's reversible cover is Mega Drive themed!

Still not sure what to expect from the game? Check out John Linneman's Digital Foundry rundown.

U8Zp8yd.png

Mighty the Armadillo and Ray the Flying-Squirrel were created with assistance from Naoto Ohshima by Manabu Kusunoki, best known for designing the look of the characters and dragons in the Panzer Dragoon series. They technically pre-date both Tails and Knuckles!

Sonic, Mighty and Ray all first showed up in the 1991 arcade game Rad Mobile (later ported to the SEGA Saturn as Gale Racer) as air fresheners, but were only ever playable together in the Japan-only arcade game SegaSonic the Hedgehog from 1992 and 1993. Mighty would go on to be part of the cast in Knuckles Chaotix for the ill-fated SEGA 32X, but beyond that him and Ray would only ever see a cameo on a missing poster in the HD version of Sonic Generations.

In Sonic Mania Plus they both have unique playstyles!

I7q1alB.png

Mighty has the Hammer Drop, a move that launches him downwards through any obstacles and shakes item monitors from trees. He is also invulnerable to spikes and bullets when rolled up. Sadly his wallkick from Knuckles Chaotix has not returned.

wW6e3wo.png

Ray has a unique glide that allows him to gain altitude or dive to stay in the air for an extended period of time, but he needs to build up momentum for it to last long at all. He can be hurt while gliding, but if the player lets go of the jump button they will roll up back into a ball. This ability has oftentimes been compared to the cape power-up in Super Mario World.

6OxAn2S.png

Sonic Mania Adventures is a set of five short films released free on Twitter and YouTube to promote Sonic Mania Plus. It was directed and storyboarded by Tyson Hesse and has original music composed by Tee Lopes.

Episode 1: Sonic Returns
Episode 2: Sonic & Tails
Episode 3: & Knuckles
Episode 4: Mighty & Ray
Episode 5: Metal Mayhem
All episodes strung into one short film.

Reveal Trailer
Dev Diary 1 (Art and Design)
Dev Diary 2 (Game Design)https://youtu.be/7BUGPG4CrE0
Infomercial

tumblr_paql2ooq291tjbzieo1_500.gif

Edit: Added more videos!

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
My retail EU copy should be arriving in a couple of days. Will grab the PC dlc in a couple of hours.

Gonna do 2 playthroughs: One in the original (recap) and another in Encore.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait to get home and start Encore!

Episode 5 of Sonic Mania Adventures should drop in any time now.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
I've now bought this game 5 times, including the base collector's edition, plus the DLC on steam too. Totally worth it.

Revven

Oct 27, 2017
Got a physical version on Switch coming today and bought the $5 update for my current PS4 version. Have to support this game and make sure SEGA knows to do another one with these guys.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Can you still play the old Metal Sonic boss or play the game without the changes or is that version lost unless you don't install the patch?

Euman

Oct 25, 2017
pre-ordered yesterday from Amazon and it shipped this morning. Stoked to get the physical for switch. Also my vinyl OST from Data Discs is on the way!

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I kinda want that artbook and reversable cover but I have the game digitally... so it would be a complete waste almost

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I'm a little underwhelmed by Ray and Mighty not having any visual changes to their super forms. I guess Sonic and Bright Pink Knuckles stay top tier.

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
Not up on psn brazil uh.

Good that sega didnt screw up the steam release this time.

Order

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought the Encore DLC and updated the game, yet every time I start the game up it loads Sonic Mania instead of Sonic Mania Plus and when I click the DLC tab it says purchased. Anybody having similar problems? I'm on PS4

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Picked it up during my lunch break.

Haven't dug into the meat of the new content yet, but I'm kind of upset that they took away the ability to play as the same character in Competition Mode. Sort of defeats the purpose if you're already at a disadvantage before leaving the character select screen.

But I also noticed that the Mania Mode for Blue Spheres seems to have new stages. It had a puzzling low number of possible maps to play on before.

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
Just got the physical copy in, loving that reversible cover. Never actually played a Sonic game before so the nostalgia glasses are squarely off. Hope I enjoy!

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Still unsure if I loved Mania or Mario Odyssey more last year but because Nintendo has seemingly dropped the ball on supporting Odyssey (despite doing so for BotW), I could just cheat and count all of Sonic Mania (both original game and DLC) into one game and say it's my GotY this time for sure.

It was between Mania and Persona for me last year (Odyssey and BotW behind those) and while I don't think Mania was the most "impressive" game released year, it connected with me on an intense level and gave me everything I wanted that I thought I'd never get again. Kinda a rare thing for me where it goes way beyond the actual content of the game. Mania is a literal miracle.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but I think Ray looks dumb. He looks like he was supposed to have something on his head but they ran out of time.

I fucking loved Sonic Mania though. I'm eager to play through it again.

Kyzon Xin

Oct 25, 2017
Encore special stages are brutal! Loving it though. Only one emerald and I just finished Flying Battery

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
tumblr_paql2ooq291tjbzieo1_500.gif

This is amazing. Actually nearly burst out laughing.

Mighty and Ray are welcome additions to the classic series.

My Switch physical version came through the post. The artbook is stunning.

Encore Mode feels like it is for hardcore fans. Tough as nails.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
The reversible Mega Drive cover is so good.

Just got the physical copy in, loving that reversible cover. Never actually played a Sonic game before so the nostalgia glasses are squarely off. Hope I enjoy!

Yeah, got a nostalgia overdose with that reversible cover.

I am conflicted between leaving the holographic cardboard cover on or keeping the reversible cover to show off on my shelf lol.

a0c9NqLm.jpg

Last edited:

Red Devil

Oct 29, 2017
C'mon Sega, now is the time to capitalize this and port SegaSonic the Hedgehog to every system available!

SEGASONICLOGO.jpg

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
It was between Mania and Persona for me last year (Odyssey and BotW behind those) and while I don't think Mania was the most "impressive" game released year, it connected with me on an intense level and gave me everything I wanted that I thought I'd never get again. Kinda a rare thing for me where it goes way beyond the actual content of the game. Mania is a literal miracle.

Yeah, I feel the same way. As someone who was introduced to video games by Sonic 1, and whose favorite game is Sonic 3&K, and someone who's been religiously following this franchise and playing all of its games since... Mania means a lot to me. I cried a little when I first booted it up and saw the gorgeous animated intro and I have no shame.

From the creator of "Sonic's big fat adventure", incredible.

That was such an incredible web comic. Absolutely insane that Tom Fry has gotten the chance to work on official Sonic stuff. Met him at last year's anime expo (and this years) and he's a great guy.

I'm sorry but I think Ray looks dumb. He looks like he was supposed to have something on his head but they ran out of time.

I fucking loved Sonic Mania though. I'm eager to play through it again.

I don't think many will argue that Ray's design isn't one of Sonic's best, but the sheer fact that he's making a reappearance as a playable character all these years later is really special and further highlights just how much love is being put into Mania.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
So err, don't have CRT mode on if you're playing three to four player splitscreen in 720-1080p :p

image.png

It's like when you don't set CRT scanlines correctly on reshade or Retroarch ha. It's especially dodgy on Switch undocked. Looks much better with no filter, though I did notice a touch of blurriness to the image up close, likely from uneven scaling. Doesn't seem too noticeable when sat at a distance.

Tried it on PC version at 4k where there wasn't an issue, presumably that'll be the same on the Pro + X versions at that output.

Deleted member 42686

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2018
I wish I could find the physical game around here. That reversible artwork is so neat :)

Anyway the name of thread is pretty trashy(Megamix? Like, seriously? Lmao).
I'm just waiting until arrives here so I can download it.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Hmmm... maybe I should get vanilla Sonic Mania if I can get it for cheaper, since the DLC is not expensive at all. Looking forward to play this - I gave Sonic a proper chance recently and I quite enjoyed 1 and CD. I was told Mania is closer to Sonic 2, which I didn't like that much, but I'm still willing to give this game a chance. I'll play as the gliding squirrel :)

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wish I could find the physical game around here. That reversible artwork is so neat :)

Anyway the name of thread is pretty trashy(Megamix? Like, seriously? Lmao).
I'm just waiting until arrives here so I can download it.

Megamix is a fan game that the big names of mania worked on iirc.