• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the hubbub about, let's see, a silhoutte and a pair of legs, is completely unearned and it seems to stem from people either being childish or ironic. That said, good job on drumming up interest in the movie! Once there's a proper reveal, people will maybe finally chill about this?

Last edited:

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Even the designer? A good story isn't going to change that horror movie design.
Blue arms is just so wrong, that's not Sonic.

Kyora90

Apr 15, 2018
I'm totally relaxed, I'm actually laughing so much, that I'm probably gonna watch this movie day 1.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I love how this is uniting everyone. All sides coming together. Maybe it knows what it's doing.

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the hubbub about, let's see, a silhoutte and a pair of legs, is completely unearned and it seems to stem from people either being childish or ironic. That said, good job on drumming up interest in the movie! Once there's a proper reveal, people will maybe finally chill about this?

We can only comment on what's given to us.

And it's highly doubtful a proper reveal will alleviate anything, the fact that it's live action at all is a sticking point, and if it's true that Sonic's eyes are split than hooo boy I am grabbing some popcorn on my way to the cinema.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Laugh or say it looks stupid and ignore but anyone who is actually angry, upset or thinks they're entitled to a movie the way they want it needs to take a good hard look at themselves.

The constant hate and over analysing is disgraceful.
I wasn't aware the Sonic Movie was something people even cared about this much. If it's bad, then it's bad. It doesn't change the world whatsoever. I guess I understand if people have been wanting to see live action Sonic movie for a long time and it's disappointing if it sucks. I'm definitely surprised many people seem to be so invested in this though. Aren't there more than few animated adaptations already? There's never been great live action videogame adaptation, yet all the game franchises have survived just fine. Bad Sonic film won't hurt the IP either.

Last edited:

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Laugh or say it looks stupid and ignore but anyone who is actually angry, upset or thinks they're entitled to a movie the way they want it needs to take a good hard look at themselves.

The constant hate and over analysing is disgraceful.
No one is saying they are entitled to anything

Everyone is saying it looks wack

And yeah and as of currently it looks wack

That's it, people are making suggestions about what would be a better film to make, but... you can do that. That's a thing you can do and that's fine.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DCZ_u7vUwAAuqpw.jpg

BUT WHY

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The contrarians and passive aggressive Sonic-haters came out in full force for this one. The number of people acting like seeing the rest of him will make his legs shorter or less muscular, or his spines less furry is disheartening.

The faux-mature "Hey kids, let's just wait and see, shall we?" doesn't work when the objectionable parts are already there.

These posters are horrible, the guy behind them doesn't exactly inspire confidence, and no one is getting any internet points for playing devil's advocate. Allow us our disappointment, please.

I'm not entitled to a good Sonic movie, but I am entitled to my opinion that this isn't about to be one.

Last edited:

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
Sonic has been bad more than it's been good sooooo, I dunno. Wait and see I guess? What kind of lunatic had expectations for this?

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
This is way way more interesting than if they had just used Sonic's game design. Which is and always has been shit by the way.

Sonic runs. Makes sense he'd wear runners and have swole legs fam lmao

ssnick37

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if the internet and twitter existed when the original mario bros movie trailer was released lol

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to get the feeling this guy didn't really know what he was signing up for when he took the job. You really dont want to get involved with the Sonic community lol

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Sonic in 2018 though, everybody should relax.
Not like there's anything left of the Sonic "legacy".

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder if we would have had a similar reaction if the Detective Pikachu movie was revealed just with a poster showing the Pikachu design

I don't think we would have. Aside from his fur being a little longer than you'd expect for a mouse, they translated Pikachu's design extremely faithfully to live action with no concessions.

Flt6SKsl.jpg

Sonic on the other hand just looks wrong even from what little we've seen of him. I think Naoto Oshima put it best on Twitter when he asked if they would make these kinds of sweeping changes to Mickey Mouse in a live-action film, because Sonic is at his core just a take on Mickey Mouse. His weird "one big eye" is a throwback to how Mickey looked in old cartoons when his eyes lacked any visible sclera, and his noodly gloved arms and legs are clearly inspired by rubber hose animation. So imagine the reaction to a film in which Disney turns Mickey Mouse into a disturbing humanoid with muscles and humanlike hands, and you can see exactly why Sonic fans are so disgusted by this horrible attempt at making him "real".

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
I think they are nailing it honestly - I don't want another Pixar-type movie. I want a Sonic movie that is going to be Mario-movie levels of weird. I WANT this to be a glorious dumpster fire. BLUE fire!

Oct 28, 2017
Does the Sonic Cycle apply to Sonic movies too?
The current Sonic cycle? Sure.

3D Sonic game announced. Expectations at all time low

Screens revealed. Nobody gives a shit.

Gameplay revealed. Looks shit. Only the most diehard fans care about the game. Most people are mocking it. Others are reminiscing about Colours and Generations giving Sonic hope.

Game releases. Reviews pan it. Everyone mocks it. Member Colours and Generations?

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't aware the Sonic Movie was something people even cared about this much. If it's bad, then it's bad. It doesn't change the world whatsoever. I guess I understand if people have been wanting to see live action Sonic movie for a long time and it's disappointing if it sucks. I'm definitely surprised many people seem to be so invested in this though. Aren't there more than few animated adaptations already? There's never been great live action videogame adaptation, yet all the game franchises have survived just fine. Bad Sonic film won't hurt the IP either.

What were people expecting? It's a Sonic movie. It not being bad/hideous would've been a bigger surprise.

There are a couple things really:

1. Detective Pikachu's trailer happened and surprised everyone with how faithful it is to the source material, finally showing us a live action video game movie that seems to actually like its inspiration. People were hoping Sonic would maybe capture that same feel.
  2. There are genuinely talented people working on the Sonic movie so it could have turned out at least decent. Hell, on the story front it might actually be fine.
  3. The CGI is/was apparently being co-developed in Japan by Marza Animation Planet, a studio which has made many Sega cinematics in the past. They know how Sonic should look, so it's especially baffling they got it so wrong.
  4. The Sonic Mania Adventures shorts are very good, showing that the characters can be done justice in an animated medium in 2018.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I am relaxed.

No other franchise is as entertaining as Sonic.

Cue the flashbacks of the Sonic Celebration.

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think a big part of it, maybe something no one wants to admit, is that Pokemon doesn't feel threatening because most people don't associate the brand with furry culture, so it's just a funky take on Pokemon. But given the history of Sonic, this design style seems to further encourage that aspect of the fanbase and it's making a lot of people on the internet insecure and upset because furry culture is looked down on and ostracized.

Haha, no. It's not that profound. The design is creepy and looks completely different to the Sonic design everyone knows.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think they are nailing it honestly - I don't want another Pixar-type movie. I want a Sonic movie that is going to be Mario-movie levels of weird. I WANT this to be a glorious dumpster fire. BLUE fire!

Right, but I think a lot of people here like Sonic and would rather he weren't sacrificed for a few quick memes and a "dumpster fire," so seeing people callously celebrate just that from a distance is a little rough. It comes off as very rude when those same people almost certainly have characters about whom they care themselves.

Maybe that doesn't apply to you, but a lot of people here with reactions similar to yours seem to be taking the "sucks to be you" approach.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
Right, but I think a lot of people here like Sonic and would rather he weren't sacrificed for a few quick memes and a "dumpster fire," so seeing people callously celebrate just that from a distance is a little rough. It comes off as very rude when those same people almost certainly have characters about whom they care themselves.

Maybe that doesn't apply to you, but a lot of people here with reactions similar to yours seem to be taking the "sucks to be you" approach.

That definitely does not apply to me - I love Sonic and have been a fan since day one. I just think it's going to be much more interesting of a film if they go off the rails a bit. If this movie turns out that way I think it will, it will be a cult classic of sorts.

I get that some people here are upset it's not going the more expected route - but I guess I'm one of those fans who wanted something different, and so far this is hitting all the right beats for me.

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who signed on to do any kind of creative work on that film should've steeled themselves. I don't see a scenario where backlash doesn't happen. Sonic is a franchise people simply love to hate. Add twitter and its insanity to the mix then you've got a room full of static and oil. They should've kept quiet and released a trailer before anything else marketing related.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
"Don't get too upset" is probably the worst defense of one's work I've ever heard, lol. Even the creators of this film aren't confident about it.

Last edited: