• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
FQl2i9gWYAQFk-w

I guess this means we should be hearing more about the collection soon.

Source: Korean Ratings Board

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Glad they delayed it long enough to have a total rethink and just port Sonic Mega Collection Plus

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They better have Sonic 3 & Knuckles as well as just stand alone Sonic 3 and S&K. Sonic 2 /w Knuckles would be a nice bonus.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
They better have Sonic 3 & Knuckles as well as just stand alone Sonic 3 and S&K. Sonic 2 /w Knuckles would be a nice bonus.

According to Sonic the Hedgehog social media manager Katie Chrzanowski, Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles will be playable in a widescreen format.

It appears this is more of a port job rather than an emulation job. I'm hoping it'll be good

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, at the very least it should offer the games Sonic Jam offered 25 years ago lol (+ Sonic CD).

I wonder if they still have the code from the native saturn ports. Also curious if CD/1/2 will be taxman or new native ports.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I wish this would have special modes, for example, playing Sonic CD with starting each act with another timeline (and all Past run, for example).

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, at the very least it should offer the games Sonic Jam offered 25 years ago lol (+ Sonic CD).

I wonder if they still have the code from the native saturn ports. Also curious if CD/1/2 will be taxman or new native ports.
Sonic Jam is so cool

I love that overworld 3d stage with museums and stuff

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Geez, about time. Felt like it just dropped off the face of the Earth after being announced. Seriously hope it has some of the mobile port additions.

I hope this collection does well so we can finally get some sonic advance re-releases
The weird thing is, the games got ported to the Wii U VC....but only in Japan. My only guess as to why the US didn't get it is because THQ published the games here. But yes, I would love for an Advance Collection.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
My hope would be all the content of both the sonic jam versions and the Whitehead versions in one

Maybe extra work on side games like wide screen game gear games, a composite version of 3d blast using saturn graphics and letting you choose sound track like CD

Hope for they go ham wild on characters with play styles in genesis style 2d sonic already so the chaotix even without knuckles chaotix, ray, Amy and cream from advance 3 but with genesis style sprites.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
According to Sonic the Hedgehog social media manager Katie Chrzanowski, Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles will be playable in a widescreen format.

It appears this is more of a port job rather than an emulation job. I'm hoping it'll be good

exactly what id wanted from this, cannot wait!
the secret last stage when you have all the emeralds blew my mind as a kid

Should throw in Sonic 1 8-bit while we're at it.

haha watch them skip the SMS and do the gg version tho

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I want the Sonic Jam 3D world again with all it's little bonuses and challenges.

I also want Sonic R again. Dat soundtrack.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I hope the announcement is soon and not like a month away. I also hope it's more than a straight port job. 1 and 2 are already available in like 3 different forms on Switch.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Is this taxman versions of Sonic 1 and 2, plus new version for Sonic 3&K?
Unfortunately we still don't know. My hunch is that Evening Star (Mania team) is not involved, but maybe whoever is handling it is porting over the Taxman versions of 1, 2, and CD, but the Sonic 3&K part will be the product of whoever is doing this porting…

Hope I'm wrong though. I want Taxman S3K very badly.

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
An ideal collection for me would be 1/2/3/K/CD and then MS/GG 1/2/C/TT and finally chaotix

But all the 8-bit sonic games often get ignored and Chaotix isn't very good. If Sega were smart they'd commision retro remakes of them all like the fan TT one

Yeah kind of a shame really. It isn't like no one played them. Master System was popular in PAL regions and the Game Gear had a decent run in the US.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand

I wouldn't automatically assume that, personally. You could adapt the game to widescreen while it still being an emulator, essentially by changing the parameters of the emulated hardware and then adapting the machine code in the ROM to account for it. This is actually how the 3D versions of Sonic1&2 worked on the 3DS, by creating a hypothetical Genesis that had a Z dimension in the frame buffer and then adding support for that in the ROM.

So with that in mind it'll ultimately be interesting to see what they end up with. I could see it going many different ways, a modified emulation, a reverse engineered port (or even a direct one if SEGA has the source code in a vault somewhere) or even a recreation by eye. Assuming Taxman and co aren't working on this one, but even that happening as a surprise could be an option.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
I know they won't do it, but it'd be great if they preserved Sonic Jam. Never played it, I'm sure it's not great, but it would be cool to see.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I wouldn't automatically assume that, personally. You could adapt the game to widescreen while it still being an emulator, essentially by changing the parameters of the emulated hardware and then adapting the machine code in the ROM to account for it. This is actually how the 3D versions of Sonic1&2 worked on the 3DS, by creating a hypothetical Genesis that had a Z dimension in the frame buffer and then adding support for that in the ROM.

So with that in mind it'll ultimately be interesting to see what they end up with. I could see it going many different ways, a modified emulation, a reverse engineered port (or even a direct one if SEGA has the source code in a vault somewhere) or even a recreation by eye. Assuming Taxman and co aren't working on this one, but even that happening as a surprise could be an option.

It's been known for a while now that it is a native port and not emulation.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I hope this collection does well so we can finally get some sonic advance re-releases
They should just do an Advance Collection, M2 already had a good GBA emu lying around ready to use. Advance 1-3, Pinball Party and Battle. If they feel like really going the extra mile they could throw in Chu Chu Rocket, Puyo Puyo and Nights Score Attack too.