• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Some may remember a thread I made a while ago about a fan effort to revive the defunct mobile game Sonic Runners with a custom server devoid of the terrible monetization that previously killed the game. Since then there have been many twists and turns, but the game is finally ready for an open beta next month!

The download will be on the project's website when the time comes. And before anyone asks "isn't Sega going to take this down?", Sega has already given their blessing to the project as long as they're not making money off of it.

Aine

May 27, 2019
Wow. How often do mobile games get fan continuations? Or is this the will of rabid Sonic nerds making weird things possible?

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
So they can't open a Patreon or something to help cover server costs? Glad to see Sonic Runners return, but I'm not sure how long this can last.
Wow. How often do mobile games get fan continuations? Or is this the will of rabid Sonic nerds making weird things possible?
Sonic Runners is a genuinely good game. It's simple but weirdly addictive

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a Sonic mobile game I didn't play, tried various others though. The fact it will be like the original and without a hint of MTX is lovely, will definitely give it a shot.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Giving this another bump because the beta has gotten a massive update. Previously it was very limited as they only had Timed Mode available and you had to switch characters / buddies / events through the website, but they've switched to an Outrun powered server so now Story Mode and the roulette wheel are available, and you can change your loadout within the app (all characters and buddies are already unlocked). They can also run global events now, so Sonic Unleashed BGM will play in-game for the next few days.

If you already had the app installed before, make sure you delete and re-install it because your previous account won't work anymore.