• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Sep 28, 2018
When Sonic Team Racing was first demonstrated I felt it looked a bit rough, bland and at times slow... I guess SEGA/Sumo Digital did too because they delayed the game for some fine tuning... after 6 more months in the oven, it's looking considerably better... The speed is back, the graphics have improved, track designs look interesting, music is really very good, some quite deep customisation options, and it's 60FPS - as far as I can tell?

I really love Sumo Digital as a developer so I am glad to see this is shaping up to be a quality kart racer.

You can see these improvements in this NEW gameplay clip (No Sound):

Additionally, if you missed it customization trailer: (Featuring a remix of 'Final Egg' from Sonic Adventure)

For Comparison's sake, here is some OLD of the first gameplay shown about 9 months ago:

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Game looks fantastic.

After loving ASRT, I was really letdown with the initial footage but this is seeming really promising now.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm glad to see that the delay gave Sumo Digital more time to polish up the game. I'm actually genuinely curious about how it'll turn out (& I'm especially excited for the soundtrack).

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
its still not something I'm interested in, but it does look a heck of a lot better in general

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
SEGA finally stepped up their marketing for this game. Now SEGA needs to tell people that there's regular racing as well for those who don't want to play team races

Metallia

May 31, 2018
Hmm, it might just be it looking more like Transformed, but I do feel it looks better. This might put it back on my radar as I was super into Transformed.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly it looks the same to me and I don't know why people were down on it in the first place.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Could be the most improved game ever but I'm not interested in a shitty friends kart racer.
Also it's impossible to top Sonic Transformed.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
it looks pretty great. Hope its as good as transformed, that was legit great its a shame it felt overlooked.

anyone got a comparion video showing before and after delay?

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
It was never my main complaints, no it is lack of characters especially compared to the prequel, and forced Team mechanics.
Options is King.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
After Transformed I knew Sumo could deliver the goods. Was a little wavery initially with the first reveal (Last years reveals were all... off.) But it looks like they've polished it up to that Sumo Standard.

Gonna rock this one. Was getting it before with hopes it'll be good, now I know it will be good.

HamsterDude

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ok so this should be a thread but I'm too much of a new member to make one so I'll just talk about it here, honestly I'm not completely sure which thread I should be writing this in.
But Cream.
Cream the Rabbit.
Cream
the rabbit
I mean lets see here she was introduced for Sonic Advance 2 I was literally on the Japanese Sonic Advance 2 website (I even remember seeing the famous screenshot where they're playing as Cream the Rabbit, but the life icon is a glitchy picture of Amy Rose's life icon but with a cream the rabbit color pallete) and

Basically.
Why
Why did they add Cream the Rabbit into the Sonic franchise, if they are going to quietly sweep her out?
I say this because this is a team game and Cream the Rabbit is not a part of Team Rose. If there was ever a time that Cream the Rabbit would return as a playable character in a Sonic game that isn't a mobile one, I thought this would be it. But they got rid of Cream the Rabbit in this game.

Twitch said Cream is too similar to Tails so of course she isn't going to ever appear as a playable character ever again. Then why did they even introduce her in the first place? (Unless it was because Sonic Team was too intent on adding new side-characters every time they made a new Sonic the Hedgehog game at the time, and eventually they got their hands too full of side-characters and its too much of a chore to keep all of the side-characters that they keep adding to keep being relevant.)

Why add Cream the Rabbit into the Sonic universe, only to quietly sweep her under the rug and not make her a playable character again, even in Team Rose in Sonic Team Racing?

By the way though, I have to say the music in this Sonic Team Racing so far that I've heard so far is jammin' and I'm a huge fan of it and I like the new animation/cartoon so far that's related to the game. I just don't understand some of the character picks and replacements in this game.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really seeing much different? Maybe if the same tracks were compared or something. Or maybe it's because one video doesn't feature the rather annoying quips from your driver?

But yeah, it's really hard to tell what those improvements are right now.

HamsterDude

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Cream's too young to drive and respects the rules of the road?
Well what about Tails, then? He's a super-genious and probably quite mature mentally, but he's underage too brah. Even Sonic's too young to drive too -- he's 15. So why no Cream the Rabbit on Team Rose? :x

I just wonder if they added Cream the Rabbit to the mainline Sonic series just to quietly sweep her under the rug and it boggles my mind a little bit.

OP
OP
The Anonymous Wizard
Sep 28, 2018
If I can't get a classic 'SSEEGGAAA' sound effect horn I'm going to riot!

Could be the most improved game ever but I'm not interested in a shitty friends kart racer.
Also it's impossible to top Sonic Transformed.

What's the difference between these shitty friends and Mario's shitty friends in MK? Or Crash's shitty friends in Crash Team Racing and so on? I felt like the only thing that made Sonics shitty friends 'shitty' was that in modern Sonic games their gameplay was far removed from what made Sonic good... Like those naff shooting levels in Sonic Adventure. In a Kart Racer having friends is mandatory!

I mean, if you look at Sonic Mania, where there are 4 playable characters besides Sonic they really are a great addition to the game because the gameplay is still fast-paced, physics-based platforming, only with interesting variations on the character moveset.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017

What's the difference between these shitty friends and Mario's shitty friends in MK? Or Crash's shitty friends in Crash Team Racing and so on? I felt like the only thing that made Sonics shitty friends 'shitty' was that in modern Sonic games their gameplay was far removed from what made Sonic good... Like those naff shooting levels in Sonic Adventure. In a Kart Racer having friends is mandatory!

I mean, if you look at Sonic Mania, where there are 4 playable characters besides Sonic they really are a great addition to the game because the gameplay is still fast-paced, physics-based platforming, only with interesting variations on the character moveset.

I mean yeah, you basically described why people hate Sonic's friends, lol. That and also bad writing.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Crash will take a little delay in response to polish their game, or at least get that 60fps.

Both games look great, but this game looks so good now I'd be proud to hold this up against Mario Kart.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Still look incredibly slow and dull compared to Transformed.
The tracks are really large and with barely any jump or tight curve... naa.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looking much better. Just make it so I can form a team with any combination of characters I choose and I'm sold.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil

It seems you can't understand the Mario's friends aren't shitty characters like the sanic goofy and stupid ones.
Also Crash's friends are mostly bland but who they should add?
Now Sonic kart racers had the first 2 games did the right way and everyone was pleased but suddenly they've decided the third game would be all about the Sonic shitty friends no one likes (and in the previous 2 games the only complaints were too much shitty friends and Sonic tracks). Guess what? It's Sega alright.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
This was a hard pass based on the old footage, but it looks like the delay really helped. I'm still upset that Cream isn't riding with the Chaos though..

OP
OP
The Anonymous Wizard
Sep 28, 2018
It seems you can't understand the Mario's friends aren't shitty characters like the sanic goofy and stupid ones.
Also Crash's friends are mostly bland but who they should add?
Now Sonic kart racers had the first 2 games did the right way and everyone was pleased but suddenly they've decided the third game would be all about the Sonic shitty friends no one likes (and in the previous 2 games the only complaints were too much shitty friends and Sonic tracks). Guess what? It's Sega alright.

Isn't that all a matter of opinion? There is nothing inherently 'shitty' about them... In fact, there's nothing very special about the Mario Kart roster at all... I really like the design of ShyGuy but otherwise, we've got some generic baddies and Mario, Metal Mario, Baby Mario, Raccoon Mario... Wario... Not exactly inspiring...

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Sonic's supporting cast is definitely better than the trash we get in Mario Kart