• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
The only character I dislike that's on the roster is Zavok, because he's lame as fuck. Otherwise, I wish they had even more playable characters like Cream, Espio, Charmy, Mighty, Ray, Bark, Bean, and Fang/Knack.

Motwera

Oct 27, 2017
Who would want to play as Sonic's shitty friends when they could play as timeless characters like Generic Tiger, Generic Polar Bear, and Generic Penguin in CTR?
Generic? Who you're calling generic? Ow the edge indeed.

Ok, I'll clarify
It's bothersome how some people need to insult about a franchise's racing cast with "shitty" and "generic", I know a lot of people including me get annoyed by the "shitty friends" insult, so why do you feel okay with the "generic" insult?
Truth or not, I don't think anyone including me should feel the need to be edgy about it.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018
the third game would be all about the Sonic shitty friends no one likes
More than 500 millions Sonic games had been downloaded on mobile and kids are mostly asking for more Cream, Silver, Vector. (Just read the comments on Google play)

I don't like Silver, BB Mario, but we're not the majority.

In the real world Sonic and his friends are very popular and it's just the beginning Apple, Amazon, Microsoft use Sonic's image to promote their game services .

Last edited:

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It does look a lot better, I guess the delay and the competition of Crash Team Racing probably caused them to step up their games.

Ok so this should be a thread but I'm too much of a new member to make one so I'll just talk about it here, honestly I'm not completely sure which thread I should be writing this in.
But Cream.
Cream the Rabbit.
Cream
the rabbit
I mean lets see here she was introduced for Sonic Advance 2 I was literally on the Japanese Sonic Advance 2 website (I even remember seeing the famous screenshot where they're playing as Cream the Rabbit, but the life icon is a glitchy picture of Amy Rose's life icon but with a cream the rabbit color pallete) and

Basically.
Why
Why did they add Cream the Rabbit into the Sonic franchise, if they are going to quietly sweep her out?
I say this because this is a team game and Cream the Rabbit is not a part of Team Rose. If there was ever a time that Cream the Rabbit would return as a playable character in a Sonic game that isn't a mobile one, I thought this would be it. But they got rid of Cream the Rabbit in this game.

Twitch said Cream is too similar to Tails so of course she isn't going to ever appear as a playable character ever again. Then why did they even introduce her in the first place? (Unless it was because Sonic Team was too intent on adding new side-characters every time they made a new Sonic the Hedgehog game at the time, and eventually they got their hands too full of side-characters and its too much of a chore to keep all of the side-characters that they keep adding to keep being relevant.)

Why add Cream the Rabbit into the Sonic universe, only to quietly sweep her under the rug and not make her a playable character again, even in Team Rose in Sonic Team Racing?

By the way though, I have to say the music in this Sonic Team Racing so far that I've heard so far is jammin' and I'm a huge fan of it and I like the new animation/cartoon so far that's related to the game. I just don't understand some of the character picks and replacements in this game.

Yeah it's weird to how Cream isn't a playable character. Which is a shame as I like her.

Cream the Rabbit is too young to drive and respects the rules of the road?

So are the Chao and yet they're playable. And beside the whole excuse that she's too young to drive excuse is just nonsense.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if it looks like this on Switch too. At 60fps.

Oh, also, add Jet the Hawk too, you cowards.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ah man, it only really hit me watching the 2nd video in this thread that this is just a sonic racing game and not a sega all stars follow up, all interest lost.

Apr 21, 2018
It does look a lot better, I guess the delay and the competition of Crash Team Racing probably caused them to step up their games.

Yeah it's weird to how Cream isn't a playable character. Which is a shame as I like her.

So are the Chao and yet they're playable. And beside the whole excuse that she's too young to drive excuse is just nonsense.
He was joking ;).

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Pura, Polar and Penta's design is the definition of generic. They're literally just animals. Any given Sonic character (except Zavok maybe) has more personality than those three combined.

Now Baby T, on the other hand...

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

Ok, I'll clarify
It's bothersome how some people need to insult about a franchise's racing cast with "shitty" and "generic", I know a lot of people including me get annoyed by the "shitty friends" insult, so why do you feel okay with the "generic" insult?

Don't get me wrong, I like Crash characters and look forward to destroying everyone online as an unassuming penguin... but Pura, Polar, and Penta are the very definition of generic. "Shitty friends" on the other hand is a lazy criticism used exclusively to shitpost.

edit: wtf Lant_War stop reading my mind

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It seems you can't understand the Mario's friends aren't shitty characters like the sanic goofy and stupid ones.
Also Crash's friends are mostly bland but who they should add?
Now Sonic kart racers had the first 2 games did the right way and everyone was pleased but suddenly they've decided the third game would be all about the Sonic shitty friends no one likes (and in the previous 2 games the only complaints were too much shitty friends and Sonic tracks). Guess what? It's Sega alright.

If you think nobody likes Sonic's friends you sure as hell don't know the Sonic fandom.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so this should be a thread but I'm too much of a new member to make one so I'll just talk about it here, honestly I'm not completely sure which thread I should be writing this in.
But Cream.
Cream the Rabbit.
Cream
the rabbit
I mean lets see here she was introduced for Sonic Advance 2 I was literally on the Japanese Sonic Advance 2 website (I even remember seeing the famous screenshot where they're playing as Cream the Rabbit, but the life icon is a glitchy picture of Amy Rose's life icon but with a cream the rabbit color pallete) and

Basically.
Why
Why did they add Cream the Rabbit into the Sonic franchise, if they are going to quietly sweep her out?
I say this because this is a team game and Cream the Rabbit is not a part of Team Rose. If there was ever a time that Cream the Rabbit would return as a playable character in a Sonic game that isn't a mobile one, I thought this would be it. But they got rid of Cream the Rabbit in this game.

Twitch said Cream is too similar to Tails so of course she isn't going to ever appear as a playable character ever again. Then why did they even introduce her in the first place? (Unless it was because Sonic Team was too intent on adding new side-characters every time they made a new Sonic the Hedgehog game at the time, and eventually they got their hands too full of side-characters and its too much of a chore to keep all of the side-characters that they keep adding to keep being relevant.)

Why add Cream the Rabbit into the Sonic universe, only to quietly sweep her under the rug and not make her a playable character again, even in Team Rose in Sonic Team Racing?

By the way though, I have to say the music in this Sonic Team Racing so far that I've heard so far is jammin' and I'm a huge fan of it and I like the new animation/cartoon so far that's related to the game. I just don't understand some of the character picks and replacements in this game.

They heard people wanted chao and put em in the game. And they also wanted silver and blaze in the game. People got cut, cream was never that popular. That's it. There was a budget, sucks. I like shadow, but I also wanted to play as espio, i think ninjas are cool. Kinda assed out in that respect.

I was thinking Edgier Sonic and Tit-Bat.
nah.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That new trailer has got me hyped, everything looks cool, the tracks, the music, the art style. I can't wait. I hope it's 60fps on the Switch too, don't really want to get this on the PS4.

Oct 28, 2017
I agree, the game looks way better now than when it was first presented.

Also, "sonic's shitty friends" is such a tired complaint.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Ever since someone pointed out that the optimal way to play CTR is basically snaking, I lost all interest and decided I would get this 100%.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
That looks way better. Would definitely consider getting this on Switch if it runs at 60fps on that.

syth

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really glad to see this. Played it last year and 100percent was in the no basket. After hundreds of hours of mk8, it felt stiff.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that trailer looks silky-smooth. Good on them for giving the game the time it needed.

Yoshi's Crafted World is another recent game I can think of that benefited massively from a delay. The initial trailers when it was targeting a 2018 release looked downright awful. But now we're in 2019 and the game is just fine.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
The game is definitely looking better now (and the soundtrack is sounding amazing) but I still think the roster is very weak. Missing a lot of characters that should be playable.

Craymond

Oct 28, 2017
Portland
I really hope this is true. Played a demo at PAX and dear god was it broken and buggy. Also was not a looker by any means.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
The game is definitely looking better now (and the soundtrack is sounding amazing) but I still think the roster is very weak. Missing a lot of characters that should be playable.

I feel like they got pretty much everyone we could reasonably expect besides the obvious glaring omission of Cream, Espio, and Charmy, who will hopefully make it in as DLC. I guess the Babylon Rogues could also squeeze in there but that's about the extent of the Modern Sonic cast before you have to start digging for deep cuts, one-offs, and Classic-era characters.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I think it looks pretty solid. I loved Sumo's other racing games, but limiting it to just Sonic completely ruins it. Unfortunately, the roster takes it from being a game I would buy day one to being a game I will likely never buy. What a shame...

Apr 21, 2018
If you think nobody likes Sonic's friends you sure as hell don't know the Sonic fandom.
Yup. A part of Era's gamers really need to wake up. Sonic is pretty much promoted by all Gafam and will reach 1 billion downloads next year on mobile. Millions of kids want those Sonic's friends... The Team Sonic Racing leaked on mobile will be blockbuster.

2:20 Sonic in Apple Land (the old one)

Sonic in Amazon land

Sonic is pretty much everywhere as a family game symbol. Kids love Sonic friends, we must deal with it.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I don't deny their popularity, but I don't have to like edgelord animals in exchange of characters I liked in previous games :(

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017

I think he meant aside from kids and people on Deviantart.

What's the difference between these shitty friends and Mario's shitty friends in MK? Or Crash's shitty friends in Crash Team Racing and so on?

I think the Mario and Crash side characters are slightly better because they basically knew when to shut up. They're more like the 2D versions of the Sonic characters in that they're more basic and easier to ignore.

That comparison isn't to Mario Kart or Crash roster anyway, the actually issue is the non-Sonic Sega characters/tracks not being there, which was a big part of the appeal of Transformed. (aside from just being a really good racer)

TSSZNews

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It definitely looks a lot more polished from today's gameplay footage.

The (lack of) roster diversity doesn't bother me. What does is that there are definitely tracks coming back in here that were featured in the ASR series. The Sonic universe has a lot more variety than to just reuse areas from several years back.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
So uh the target audience?

I think the point was more "who likes Sonic's friends besides kids who don't know better and internet perverts"

The Sonic characters will probably sell better though, but I feel you lose out on reaching outside that audience. And hell, Transformed had most of the main Sonic characters anyway.

HamsterDude

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think the point was more "who likes Sonic's friends besides kids who don't know better and internet perverts"

The Sonic characters will probably sell better though, but I feel you lose out on reaching outside that audience. And hell, Transformed had most of the main Sonic characters anyway.
I'm not a pervert. (I'm a feminist ok sry had to throw in a Gintama reference so that more people watch that series although I'm not a big fan of the character that I just quoted.)

I just love characters that fly around, like Tails, and I think its a shame if Cream the Rabbit is swept under the rug after being in Sonic Advance 2 and Sonic Heroes. She can fly, and newbie younger players could spam Cheese the Chao's attack to push through tougher obstacles until they become ready to play through the game with a less easy-mode character. I just wonder why they introduced Cream in Sonic Advance 2 only to turn her into a character that only appears in mobile games and cutscenes.

Although, again my theory is that Sonic Team was introducing too many characters at the time in every game and now they don't know what to do with all of them. But I expected Cream the Rabbit to be on Team Rose and it throws me off that they got rid of Cream from Team Rose but added like, Zavok, in the game.

Last edited:

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Eh... looks the same.

We just only had footage of 1 track and extremely short clips of other tracks. Today they showed off some better tracks. Like assuming Mario Kart is going to suck because all you've seen is Mario Circuit.

Jan 9, 2018

Where are you even going with this, Sonic fans can only be kids or perverts?

And you acknowledge a Sonic racing spin-off would sell better than a crossover racing game, so...what reason is there to go for the outside audience when that wouldn't sell as well according to you?

I don't actually agree, I think a crossover game with the right roster would do much better (i.e. Atlus IPs like Persona), but we know why they chose to go Sonic-only: they wanted to focus on one specific world and set of characters. It's the difference between Mario Kart and Smash Bros., or at least that's how I interpret that.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Now the question is, is the Switch version going to be at 60? that's a deal breaker for me, if not, I must buy the PS4 version, but I really want it on my switch

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
While it does look a lot better, I'm still not if this is what I want. The team racing mechanics seem too fiddly for a casual racing game with friends, and too frustrating solo. The roster is very disappointing to me even as just a pure sonic game since a lot of characters I like are mia sacrificed on the altar of the team mechanic. That of course ignores this game being sonic only and not sonic & sega all stars.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Where are you even going with this, Sonic fans can only be kids or perverts?

I was talking about Sonic's "shity friends" specifically. The only people I've seen really into those have been kids who just like them for their designs, or people writing creepy fanfiction..

Around Sonic Adventure when they really started fleshing out the Sonic side characters they've largely been poorly written and badly implemented. I felt they work well enough in the classic Sonic formula, but if you want to give them bigger roles than that I feel you need way better writing. I think the recent cartoon had more self-aware writing but I only caught bits of that.

And you acknowledge a Sonic racing spin-off would sell better than a crossover racing game, so...what reason is there to go for the outside audience when that wouldn't sell as well according to you?

I don't actually agree, I think a crossover game with the right roster would do much better (i.e. Atlus IPs like Persona), but we know why they chose to go Sonic-only: they wanted to focus on one specific world and set of characters. It's the difference between Mario Kart and Smash Bros., or at least that's how I interpret that.

There is no reason from a pure sales perspective probably, the general SEGA cast was just a lot more interesting.

And crossovers are popular but there's a lot more license stuff to deal with which IMO is also probably the reason they ditched all the non-Sonic stuff.

Last edited:

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I get that Sonic has the wider appeal, so they did the right thing. As much as I like the Sega crew, no one knows who the fuck BD Joe is.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
This looks great! I just need to figure what version I'm getting.

As for Sonic's friends I will say the only ones of Sonic's friends that I would be okay with them going away and never coming back is Rouge, Silver and Shadow. Other than them, Sonic's friends are fun (even if they're not always fun to play as).

I get that Sonic has the wider appeal, so they did the right thing. As much as I like the Sega crew, no one knows who the fuck BD Joe is.

That's kind of where I'm at. Also why remind people of characters you have no intention of doing anything with? Obviously games like Smash do that with characters like Ness but you could argue that the bulk of the characters in Smash are still relevant to modern Nintendo. The All-Stars Racing games basically became a graveyard of dead Sega IPs. Basically, I wouldn't want Sega to go back down the All-Stars route unless they had real plans to bring back some of those dead franchises.

Last edited:

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Looks better, I trust Sumo and $40 makes an impulse buy much more tempting. As long as reviews/impressions are reasonably positive I'll pick it up at launch.

And yeah team SASRT > Crash > Mario Kart