• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Apr 21, 2018
We are going to see a huge drop in sales compared to past SEGA-Sumo crossovers solely due to the focus on Sonic. Book it.

I usually would agree but Transformed saw a "huge drop in sales" on consoles because of the N Factor.

Transformed bombed compare to the first episode due to the failure of the Wii U (500K but 1,5 million for the previous game on the Wii) and the end of PS360 era.
Mobile (removed last year) and the outstanding PC version saved Transformed ass overall.

On the other hand Team Sonic Racing sales will probably be disapointing on PS4, XBone (Crash Team is not helping) but it's clear that the Switch version will beat Transformed Wii U. Plus, the leaked mobile version could be huge now the market is mature.In other word, TSR has luck with him.
Sonic Franchise depends on Nintendo consoles and mobiles that why it will probably beat transformed in a few years (sonic launches are weak because those games are long sellers boosted every Xmas). Not even mentionning potential ports on Google, Amazon, Epic (?) devices, consoles, box et cetera.
Market is way bigger now for Sega.

CTR blasted TSR in last year poll. Updated poll

Last edited:

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
No idea why they ditched the full Sega theme. I quite liked the stages of all the Sega worlds.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
This summer is gonna be the battle between TSR and CTR. And CTR will win.

As much as i love the music and customization in TSR the appeal of Transformed was way more hype. Not to mention transformed had half its budget paid by Nascar. So whats up with TSR? Sega being finnicky with their franchises? Even less budget than transformed?
I actually think Team Sonic Racing's budget is far beyond Transformed. It has a full story mode, every character (except maybe the chao team?) has extensive new voice work, several composers on board, fully customizable vehicles and none of the characters are slapped together like Reala or Pudding were. It seems like it reuses a lot less assets than past games did too, but it is hard to know that for certain right this moment.

Even though this is by Sumo, the core staff is entirely different. The people that worked on SEGA Superstars Tennis, ASR and Transformed were on Crackdown 3 during the development of Team Sonic Racing AFAIK.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Looks stunning really. SEGA team racing is one of the three best kart racing ever for me (the other two being MK Wii and CTR), so 'im all up for this. The OST of the previous one was also absolutely great. I personally don't think CTR nitro fueled its gonna be close to this one (but im sure its still gonna be good), since Sumo Digital are master in the genre by now.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
There seems to be a classic modern hard spllit in branding now. So mighty, ray, bark bean fang are probs off the table.

Chaos, Espio, cream, charmy, emril, Jet, wave and... the big gray one who's name I forget probs

Its crazy how opposed Izuka is to keeping Mighty and Ray out of modern stuff when they had no issue shoehorning Classic Sonic into Forces where he didnt belong.

Meowmixez

ESS ESS DEE
Oct 27, 2017
There seems to be a classic modern hard spllit in branding now. So mighty, ray, bark bean fang are probs off the table.

Chaos, Espio, cream, charmy, emril, Jet, wave and... the big gray one who's name I forget probs

Old school characters like Mighty and Ray would give it a good flavor and it is a good tie in with Sonic Mania.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
they should absolutely do a Classic DLC pack with Ray, Mighty, and I guess Classic Sonic to round it out, though I'd prefer someone like Fang or one of the Hard Boiled Heavies. In terms of modern, throw in Cream, Chaos, E-102 Gamma, Tikal, Espio, and Emerl. I'm fine without Charmy.

But yeah this game looks great and I'm glad they gave it the time it deserved. I appreciate that during the stream they mentioned the ability to play standard races, too, since that seemed to turn a lot of people off on a surface level

I also dunno why it has to be a fight with CTR. I am mainly interested in TSR, but it's fun to have multiple kart racers on the market again. It's not like CTR, Mario Kart 64, Diddy Kong Racing, and Mickey's Speedway couldn't co-exist back in the day.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Its crazy how opposed Izuka is to keeping Mighty and Ray out of modern stuff when they had no issue shoehorning Classic Sonic into Forces where he didnt belong.
To be fair, and by fair I mean " Acknowledging how fucked up forces is " I don't think classic sonic was originally supposed to be in that game, the game very much functions with out him, but more so than that. I just think that game was supposed to be a very different video game, they couldn't make that video game. The video game they had at that moment may have not been what the common perception of a complete video game was, at least in their heads and probably went " Hey they liked classic sonic we can do some of that " and lego-ed together some genuinely unfun classic sonic levels with fucked up physics ".

Old school characters like Mighty and Ray would give it a good flavor and it is a good tie in with Sonic Mania.
There's a classic modern split n the branding, nothing else I can say here.

I also dunno why it has to be a fight with CTR. I am mainly interested in TSR, but it's fun to have multiple kart racers on the market again. It's not like CTR, Mario Kart 64, Diddy Kong Racing, and Mickey's Speedway couldn't co-exist back in the day.
because people like drama I think. I myself am more interested in team sonic racing, I like sonic more and the only crash character in that game I wanna play is coco ( hot take : I think that's the same for most people ). That said I hope they both do well because racing games in general have been uh... dry for a while in a lot of respects

Cogniferous

Oct 27, 2017
England
Game looks great, day one release for me. I just hope it's 60fps on the base PS4. I'm hoping for some cool DLC too. Team Hard Boiled Heavies FTW!

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

For some, the console wars never ended.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah honestly despite my pessimism from the initial SXSW thread I did enjoy the event. This was one my highlights. Game is looking like a true Sumo Digital racer!

I'll live with the roster. I really just wanna see Switch direct-feed footage and confirm the FPS on that version.

Cogniferous

Oct 27, 2017
England
TSR seems to be getting the same budget release price as Forces did. I've just found it in the UK for ÂŁ26 which is roughly $35. For that little it's practically a no-brainer.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
It looks a lot better now. They probably got a really muted response from the press when the game demoed at E3 last year, and just couldn't afford to adhere to the original schedule because of it.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
What I liked about both of the last two Sonic racing games is that the weapons still allow for skill to come out on top. The wasp weapon, for instance, targets the person in first place, but can be avoided with skilled driving.

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
Guess I'm gonna be that boring guy. We have so few quality arcadey racers these days I can't afford to drop one. I just want both polished to the maximum.

They both look great, and importantly, fun! :)

Watching these two side-by-side really highlights how disappointing it is that CTR Remastered isn't 60FPS.

As of now, the game more likely to see my $60 is TSR. Will wait for a sale on CTR.

And I say that as someone who grew up with both Crash & Sonic, and adored CTR (best mechanics of any kart racer).

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watching these two side-by-side really highlights how disappointing it is that CTR Remastered isn't 60FPS.

As of now, the game more likely to see my $60 is TSR. Will wait for a sale on CTR.
I believe they are both $40 at launch, so you can get both for $80, or wait a few months and get both for that $60. :)

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017

And I say that as someone who grew up with both Crash & Sonic, and adored CTR (best mechanics of any kart racer).
Is Team Sonic Racing 60fps?

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I guess the wait for that CTR sale won't be as long then, nice!

The new footage definitely is. And this trailer confirms that it's from PS4.

Alright, thanks. I'll decide between ps4 or switch when I know more details. I kinda doubt a multiplatform game will be 60fps on switch, going by what I have seen in other current gen games.

Apr 21, 2018
They both look great, and importantly, fun! :)
AA%20Photo%20Look%20Adam%20Eve%20Garden%20fr%20%2012.gif
Too much enthusiasm and fair play. Disgusting :)

Oct 29, 2017
I usually would agree but Transformed saw a "huge drop in sales" on consoles because of the N Factor.

Transformed bombed compare to the first episode due to the failure of the Wii U (500K but 1,5 million for the previous game on the Wii) and the end of PS360 era.
Mobile (removed last year) and the outstanding PC version saved Transformed ass overall.

Wasn't the Wii U version still the best selling console version of Transformed anyway?

Feb 4, 2018
It looks like a lot of fun and the chao are adorable, but damn it still hurts that the other SEGA characters are gone. I pretty much always played as AiAi or AGES, and it would have been great to have Kiryu, Majima, GonGon, Doctor, Bayonetta, I could go on. :(

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
If saving me $20 is a failure then I hope Sega keeps on failing.
That's not good though. It's great for mania and tsr as they don't need high budget.

But how many 3d sonic aren't filled with clear budget saving techniques that are detrimental to the franchise

Last edited:

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
It's one of the few games I'm actually excited about. I hope it'll turn out to be great, and am happy to hear this.

I still need to go back and finish Transformed. I liked it, but there was something about it that made me not enjoy it as much as the first Sonic All-Stars Racing, which I beat 100% (some of those challenges were a pain in the ass, then I didn't get credit for achieving 100% due to a glitch.) I need to go back and beat it, because I stopped playing it to play something else and never got back.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
My guess is PS4/XB1 will be 60fps and Switch 30fps for TSR. It's possible Switch makes 60fps though given the reason for SASRT being capped at 30fps on 360/PS3/Wii U was due to the water physics, so the same engine might give much more overhead on Switch without that. The original SSAR had an uncapped framerate on 360 too which averaged around 40-45fps iirc.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My guess is PS4/XB1 will be 60fps and Switch 30fps for TSR. It's possible Switch makes 60fps though given the reason for SASRT being capped at 30fps on 360/PS3/Wii U was due to the water physics, so the same engine might give much more overhead on Switch without that. The original SSAR had an uncapped framerate on 360 too which averaged around 40-45fps iirc.

Yeah you're probably right. 30fps is ok for this type of game (had both previous Sonic ASR games on Xbox 360) but I doubled dipped on Steam a long time ago and 60fps for these games is perfect. It's a predicament because the Switch will clearly have the most sales and active playerbase but lacks the voice chat me and some friends have on PS4...sigh.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
So stoked about this. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed was a blast and it's been a LONG 5 years since Mario Kart 8's release, it's nice to finally have not only one, but two racing games in one year to fill the void. (This and Crash)

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I am so hyped for this now that we can race without the team mechanics. I was down on that but not anymore. This looks like a beautiful return to form and balance from the first game. While transformed had more content it was completely unbalanced, from vehicle upgrades, items and difficulty. Was just way too condensed.