Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT| There’s no end to this franchise!

Nov 24, 2017
So, in an interview with Walmart Iizuka revealed that Team Sonic Racing ditched general SEGA characters because they like the speed/technique/power dynamic in Sonic Heroes...

Not only is this completely stupid and overall a horrible reason (since when are no other SEGA characters based around speed, power or techniques??), but every Sumo Digital game with Sonic stuff is absolutely littered with Sonic Heroes like some kind of disease. It was already such a huge complaint in 2010 that some devs apologized for it's overuse in Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing!

I am absolutely tired of these constantly horrible decisions with the Sonic brand. They must realize Sonic Heroes is not all that popular because we never got a port, so what gives? So much of Team Sonic Racing is such a blunder, especially in a time where a large amount of gamers actually are quite fond of other current SEGA franchises.

But hey at least maybe a Sonic Mania followup is bound for the 30th anniversary or something.

Oct 25, 2017
no
So, in an interview with Walmart Iizuka revealed that Team Sonic Racing ditched general SEGA characters because they like the speed/technique/power dynamic in Sonic Heroes...

Not only is this completely stupid and overall a horrible reason (since when are no other SEGA characters based around speed, power or techniques??), but every Sumo Digital game with Sonic stuff is absolutely littered with Sonic Heroes like some kind of disease. It was already such a huge complaint in 2010 that some devs apologized for it's overuse in Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing!

I am absolutely tired of these constantly horrible decisions with the Sonic brand. They must realize Sonic Heroes is not all that popular because we never got a port, so what gives? So much of Team Sonic Racing is such a blunder, especially in a time where a large amount of gamers actually are quite fond of other current SEGA franchises.

But hey at least maybe a Sonic Mania followup is bound for the 30th anniversary or something.
Yeah... this stuff's just frustrating to hear.

Oct 25, 2017
Iizuka must really have a hard-on for Sonic Heroes or something, but overall, that was a dumb reason to dump the SEGA characters...when their mobile game SEGA Heroes categorizes them into classes (or even the first two Sonic Rider entries). I really wish someone that's not Iizuka or Shun Nakamura took over, it's just frustrating to hear their excuses time and time again.

Nov 2, 2017
California
C'mon guys, you know that's not why they ditched the non-Sonic characters. Iizuka isn't gonna just say in an interview "Well, Sonic is by far and away the most successful of our brands so that's why we're only focusing on him this time". Like, there's a reason it was called Sonic & All-Stars Racing: Transformed and not Sega All-Stars Racing: Transformed.

Whether it was actually the correct move, financially, we won't know till it's out.

CTR is gonna outsell it, hard.

Oct 27, 2017
Something I've picked up on is that comments like "We changed it for [some artistic or gameplay reason]" are sometimes just a cover because the real answer is "we felt like doing it that way"

Rather than suggesting something like that could be a conversation (or even an argument) that fans can have to sway such personal decisions, they just come up with a deflection that maintains their authority and keeps their guard firmly raised.

The same thing goes if the real answer is "marketing said we'd do better numbers if we focused more on the Sonic brand"

Sometimes this stuff is about maintaining the illusion that every decision was made humanely instead of exposing the harsher reality of Business™

And it's something I think Sega has been historically bad at across the board, but especially so when it comes to Sonic. Like, why is Takashi Iizuka even speaking for Sumo Digital?

Nov 24, 2017
I do not believe they think the game would sell more if it was Sonic-only, they probably just wanted to make a different style of game that focused on them building a more overall coherent package. Stuff like a story mode, character interactions and more thematically appropriate weapons are something Sumo has always wanted to do with their crossover games, but struggled to do because they normally had to make agreements with individual SEGA studios every step of the way.

Plus, Sonic is just really not a very strong brand currently. Games like Yakuza 6: The Song of Life are beating stuff like Sonic Forces in sales now. They are fully aware of this.

Personally I really think they should have just taken Racing Transformed and refined it instead. Make a few more cups, remove some of the guests and bring in some new characters from missing IPs. Easy sell. Instant classic.

Oct 27, 2017
Sonic was slowly taking over that brand, though. Remember, it originally launched as "Sega All-Stars"

Which became "Sonic & Sega All-Stars" and then "Sonic & All-Stars"

Somebody in there has been pushing for more Sonic.

Oct 25, 2017
As a brand I'm pretty sure Sonic is much stronger than "Shinobi" or "Nights" for instance. Almost every sega franchise is dormant nowadays.

I understand that from a marketing point of view, selling a Sonic game only is much easier. Not that most gamers would be happy with that though.