• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Tails Adventure is an interesting game but I feel it is 'limited' or held back due to being limited by GG hardware. A remake that keeps true to its 8-bit visuals at least would be pretty interesting.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
It would be fun if Lah and (*Googles*)... Su and Wu made an appearance. I don't think there's any legal reason why they can't?

I don't see why not. Also, it might be a stretch but we saw in the customization trailer that the road they were driving on was the same green as Su and Wu when they fused.... it probably definitely is a stretch but I still hope we get the cameos.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Because it's another issue where Sonic goes to a generic location with a guest star and gets into a fight with Rough and Tumble. There's barely any advancement, no meaningful characterization, just the most boiled down elements of Sonic being rubbed together by a writer who I know is way, way better at these characters than this.
I can understand that critcism. I feel like the story is going somehwere, but it isn't fast. And the format is growing a bit tired quickly, spin off books can't come fast enough.

It sounds like Sega of Japan is holding the leash really tightly. Given their level of output nowadays, I don't think it's the right call.
Eh I get it. There was a period for far too long the archie comic was literally the most embarrassing unfitting thing sonic had , this is ontop of the lawsuit stuff.

That said I don't think its them, I legit think its that there's only 1 book and they are trying to feature a bunch of characters in one book. A book with less characters in each story but a more focused story would be a much better read, but that's not what the audience wants so here we are.

Can't wait for spin off books with game characters

I didn't mind issue #15 but I am getting tired of Rough and Tumble's Team Rocket intro. Sonic's fought these guys more than he's fought Eggman at this point and the book isn't comedy focused enough for these guys to be good Scratch/Grounder goons

Especially given we actually have Orbot and Cubot

Rough and Tumble are my sons and they are perfect

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Do you think people are prepared for the fact that the next time we see Sonic 3 again, it almost has to be stripped of some of the iconic music? At this point, fighting to keep the tracks and paying the Jackson estate might be end up being as poisonous or worse to the game, now that the singer's work is being erased from all over. Even the legendary Simpsons episode is now in the vault.

At the same time, people are going to kick and scream that some of the tunes will be changed. Most people won't notice the Knuckles and Mini-Boss themes changing, since they were replaced in Sonic & Knuckles anyway. But Launch Base and Carnival Night will likely have to go. IceCap is a weird one, because it wasn't Michael directly, but there's still some legal questionability with the ties to the unreleased Jetzons track. And there may be other tracks and jingles we don't know about.

They could either go with the PC versions of the tracks, someone like Tee Lopes making new tracks, or a combination of the two. No option is going to be without detractors, but at this point they need to bite the bullet.

If they really wanted to go the extra mile, they'd find someone to hack the new tracks into the original Genesis/MD ROM files as well.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Going through the old books, the archie comics, there's a lot of sexism i'm kinda really glad for the most part vanished when Ian took over and subsequently the reboot. Ian himself has spoken out against that sort of thing and discrimination that occurs while working in comics, againsts women, POC , LGBT folks ect. And while I don't agree with all his writing decisions i'm glad he's writing it because he's avoiding and general not indulging in a lot of that stuff. And actively trying to work around some of the sexist frame work that's sort of built into the series even now.

Going back through there and seeing how problematic some of that shit was when actually analyzed really makes you appreciate what the comics are now, even if they might be a bit slow to start right now

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
If I ever read the old comics, it'll be up til #50, then skip ahead to Ian's run.

Sonic Boom Season 2 is fantastic, lots of great humor. Season 1 was OK, but Season 2 gave me a lot of good laughs.
Incidentally enough it even has BETTER villains than what the games had been offering lately.

Oct 25, 2017
Played through about half of SA2's Dark story with my fiance last night - her first run through it and my first time playing with mods. To make it more fun for me and just generally a little faster I unlocked all upgrades from the start, turned off the visible upgrade accessories, and used the mod loader cheat that unlocked the 2nd and 3rd slots of the Emerald radar.

Highlights:
- "I said this when we played the first game too but I can't stop thinking about how amazing this would have been for me if I'd played it as a kid. It's so much more cinematic and exciting than the games I played on GameCube.

- Eggman and Rouge are still kind of boring to play even with all their upgrades unlocked from the start, but it does make it better. Treasure hunting is also still less fun than in SA1, but not nearly as much of a pain as vanilla SA2.

- Rouge's design is straight trash but as a character we love her. She's really charming and it's cool to see a female character in such a prominent playable role in an early 2000's platformer. I'd love to see her have a more active role in future stories too, especially if they just do what everyone wants in asking Flynn to write for future games.

- Shadow levels are still fun and she thinks they're cool

Edit - and in light of the conversation above:
🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Last edited:

Village

Oct 25, 2017
If I ever read the old comics, it'll be up til #50, then skip ahead to Ian's run.

Sonic Boom Season 2 is fantastic, lots of great humor. Season 1 was OK, but Season 2 gave me a lot of good laughs.
Incidentally enough it even has BETTER villains than what the games had been offering lately.

I felt as though I just needed to go back through it, I tout that that era of comic between like issue 50 untill ian took over and eventually untill the reboot ( Because ian and his nice self tries to like contue and try and fix some plotlines and characters that should have been thrown in the trash. Untill he is forced to throw them in them trash ) is problably the most embarassing content sonic has produced... well that and some of the fleetway stuff. Upon review, I was right holyshit that's bad. Some of this stuff is really bad, oh my god. I'm glad most people don't know that stuff exists.

As for sonic boom, I found season 1 a bit better than one but not that much. My whole opinion on it is kinda meh. I feel like its wasted potential , but I feel like all of sonic boom as a premise is wasted potential so there's that. I will always thank that show for providing a really good version of sonic, tails , amy and eggman. And may its versions of knuckles of shadow be thrown in the garbo never to see the light of day

As far as villians go, I mean box with a knife tapped to it is a better villian than what sega has been pumping out as of late in regards to sonic. That isn't to take away from boom, some of that stuff was really cool actually. Its just a low bar.

Played through about half of SA2's Dark story with my fiance last night - her first run through it and my first time playing with mods. To make it more fun for me and just generally a little faster I unlocked all upgrades from the start, turned off the visible upgrade accessories, and used the mod loader cheat that unlocked the 2nd and 3rd slots of the Emerald radar.

Highlights:
- "I said this when we played the first game too but I can't stop thinking about how amazing this would have been for me if I'd played it as a kid. It's so much more cinematic and exciting than the games I played on GameCube.

- Eggman and Rouge are still kind of boring to play even with all their upgrades unlocked from the start, but it does make it better. Treasure hunting is also still less fun than in SA1, but not nearly as much of a pain as vanilla SA2.

- Rouge's design is straight trash but as a character we love her. She's really charming and it's cool to see a female character in such a prominent playable role in an early 2000's platformer. I'd love to see her have a more active role in future stories too, especially if they just do what everyone wants in asking Flynn to write for future games.

- Shadow levels are still fun and she thinks they're cool

Edit - and in light of the conversation above:
🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

I have come upon the realization that while i like the mech levels they are boring and nothing and if they ever remade sonic adventure 1 and 2 they basically would have to re-do the mech sections in their entirety if they are even included. They would just essentally have to be completely different sections, what those sections were will not fly today.

Rouge is cool, Its been unfortunate that she has been kind of stuck to shadow's hip in a lot media. And while I really like shadow, they don't really need to be around eachother so her being featured more by herself and having more agency would be nice. And apparently she's getting a small story in the comic annual this year. Cool. All that said I don't think Ian flynn writing would fix that , sega would still be dictating how these characters need to be presented , and much like with all the other girls when its under sonic team's pen nowadays I don't trust them to do that in a way that's good.

Oct 25, 2017
I felt as though I just needed to go back through it, I tout that that era of comic between like issue 50 untill ian took over and eventually untill the reboot ( Because ian and his nice self tries to like contue and try and fix some plotlines and characters that should have been thrown in the trash. Untill he is forced to throw them in them trash ) is problably the most embarassing content sonic has produced... well that and some of the fleetway stuff. Upon review, I was right holyshit that's bad. Some of this stuff is really bad, oh my god. I'm glad most people don't know that stuff exists.

As for sonic boom, I found season 1 a bit better than one but not that much. My whole opinion on it is kinda meh. I feel like its wasted potential , but I feel like all of sonic boom as a premise is wasted potential so there's that. I will always thank that show for providing a really good version of sonic, tails , amy and eggman. And may its versions of knuckles of shadow be thrown in the garbo never to see the light of day

As far as villians go, I mean box with a knife tapped to it is a better villian than what sega has been pumping out as of late in regards to sonic. That isn't to take away from boom, some of that stuff was really cool actually. Its just a low bar.

I have come upon the realization that while i like the mech levels they are boring and nothing and if they ever remade sonic adventure 1 and 2 they basically would have to re-do the mech sections in their entirety if they are even included. They would just essentally have to be completely different sections, what those sections were will not fly today.

Rouge is cool, Its been unfortunate that she has been kind of stuck to shadow's hip in a lot media. And while I really like shadow, they don't really need to be around eachother so her being featured more by herself and having more agency would be nice. And apparently she's getting a small story in the comic annual this year. Cool. All that said I don't think Ian flynn writing would fix that , sega would still be dictating how these characters need to be presented , and much like with all the other girls when its under sonic team's pen nowadays I don't trust them to do that in a way that's good.
In all honesty I've only ever read like three issues so my trust in Flynn just comes from the high regard I see people hold him in. Whoever they get to write the story and dialogue, I just hope it's good.

And yeah I agree with everything else you mentioned haha.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
In all honesty I've only ever read like three issues so my trust in Flynn just comes from the high regard I see people hold him in. Whoever they get to write the story and dialogue, I just hope it's good.

And yeah I agree with everything else you mentioned haha.
Ian flynn ain't perfect , he makes mistakes, but on a base level homie generally gets these characters better than a lot of other people ( even the people who own the rights to the characters ). So that's where his high regard comes from, he has an air of professionalism about him, he doesn't care if he personally doesn't like a character ( he's not a fan of the babylon rouges ) but he understand other people like those characters and will write them in a way that not only satisfies their fans but may give them new ones. Again he ain't perfect I think he messed up with shadow in issue 6, but given the direction of the story that's probably gonna get fixed up soon. So that's where the high regard comes from. The man knows how to write character to character, and sonic has a lot of of anything , its characters people like.

His version of amy is just, tops. Like she's basically the leader of the resistance, coming up with plans, and makes her a lot more useful and capible than the do nothing worry wort sega tends to write her as. Just ... he's gets it

My point about sega is just , no matter how they get to write , they still are an overbearing force on how the narrative goes... for better or for worse.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
So some of you all might be like me right. Maybe you played a bit of a sonic game, or heard of sonic, seen a cartoon maybe. But your first real experience with the franchise was sonic adventure 1 and 2. The adventure era is where you got your start. And you enjoyed it so much you became a sonic fan, maybe your like me and you first full induction into sonic was sa2b for the gamecube. Maybe you really liked sonic x, maybe the advanced games. But no matter which one it was, it got you hooked. You wanted more sonic content.

So you find out there is a sonic comic. You rejoice , more sonic content to pump into my dumb child brain? Yes please. So you go to a super market or comic shop what have you, and you pick up a copy. And much to your dissapointment, its about characters you don't know being poorly drawn and written. Even at a young age while you can't express why exactly you don't like some of this stuff, you get the feeling it wasn't the best. Or maybe you are like some who liked it at first but eventually realized a lot of it ... wasn't the best. You happened to pick this comic up during the dark period. And you keep reading in hopes that the comic would eventually get better, and it did under the pen of another head author, but that took years and years of dark period to get that point.

Now after years not great art styles, sometimes completely inappropriate story lines and arcs, problematic story lines and arcs characters you couldn't be bothered to remember at this point, and the characters you like an do remember being written nothing like how they are in other media , often giant assholes ( This goes dubly so if you like any adventure era character, they either didn't show up or weren't themselves ) . After years of this, you wonder... what in the world were Ken Penders and Karl Bollers thinking?

Today we have a view into the mind of ken penders. We were wrong people, to pile on and lambast him. To call him a hack! Because the truth of the situation has been revealed! Ken Penders was being censored, he was not able to tell his story. He was not able to create the art he wanted to create free from persecution, and today we have insight in one of those stories .

In case the man, tries to censor him again. I have archived the text

The one story I couldn't tell was Sally losing her virginity to Geoffrey. Sonic may be fast, but Geoffrey was faster on the draw in that department.

See this is what he was thinking about , while we were being dumb children. Asking about this comic about a video game cast to be about those games and that cast. He was trying to tell the real story. He was trying to speak his truth. And we shamed him. What have we done.

Silent screamning

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't read your entire post yet because my mind immediately went to the Penders tweet and I've been going no no no no no no no no no no no no no for the last minute.

Oct 28, 2017
IFM8mbo.gif

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Those Penders tweets...

The people who think cartoon animal characters have sex and don't just have the stork show up with the baby are dangerous people to be around.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
This is why Sega is keeping a vigilant close eye on the IDW comics.

Also my day is worse from reading that set of Penders tweets.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I remember tweeting Ian a long time ago about the 3rd issue of the mega drive comic, mainly asking about its status.
The reply was quite formal on how he was a freelance and that it was all up to Archie at the time.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
I mostly lurk this thread, but this what happens when you're drunk shopping on ebay on a friday night:

J3OdUZF.jpg

g0axqWN.jpg

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I'm surprised SEGA hasn't gotten TMS to do anymore Sonic animation. Sonic X had a shockingly low budget, but that was before SEGA bought them. I know Lupin the 3rd and Detective Conan get priority and are their major breadwinners, but I don't see why they couldn't give them another shot.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really liking this talk of "Sonic Pillar" lately, which is the American team, if I understand correctly?

Hiring back the Field Art Director is a great way to get a Sonic Adventure 1/2 remake going...

Seconded on this being an indication of a potential Adventure remake (very exciting IMO) - but what's Sonic Pillar? Sonic Team USA?

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I'm really liking this talk of "Sonic Pillar" lately, which is the American team, if I understand correctly?

Hiring back the Field Art Director is a great way to get a Sonic Adventure 1/2 remake going...

Yeah, from what I understand, SEGA of America now has more of a say in what's going on in Sonic. Iizuka moved back to the USA. All Aaron said was that he's involved with future Sonic projects, safe to assume he's not talking about TSR and Tokyo 2020 though.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017

Going from this screenshot, TSR's definitely had a pretty big visual boost following the delay.
The lighting looks a lot better.

According to some Sonic Stadium folks, Sumo's SEGA games apparently have a tradition of looking rather mediocre in the visuals until close to release, where they start polishing that part up.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018

One of my great hopes for the probably impending remake is that they don't give us the version of Windy Valley that was obviously inspired by the Sonic 3D Special Stages, but a more wholly realized example of the original concept of the stage that got scrapped for reasons I'm not sure I fully understand.

(Although to be honest I think the revised version of the tornado segment is much better because it's a bit brisker and involves less standing around waiting for platforms not well-indicated by the camera)

I can only wonder if other levels in this game had such inspired and elaborate designs before being (compacted down and) finalized

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i was gonna write a post about the reasons i think windy valley got redone but honestly fuck it, i'm watching a beta playthrough again and it just looks so much more interesting and sonic-y than the final stage

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I mean I think the biggest answer is that they probably had a lot of trouble with getting the camera to work the way they wanted it to. I mean, that camera is also one of the more regularly-stated complaints about the regular game, as well as an issue that persists into this mod despite having had multiple people looking over it to provide tweaks and improvements. My hope would be that given more than 20 years of development best practices that they could do the same thing, but better, because it's such a promising and interesting design.

I believe the modified version of the first area used for Gamma's route is the invention of the modders but I have to say that the replacing of the area the tornado supposedly swept through with a series of small moving platforms is quite an inspired choice.