• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Should be getting more info on this new Mario&Sonic Olympic Games here within the next few days. Interested to see if Surfing, Karate, 3X3 Basketball, and Rock Climbling will be included.

Last edited:

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Should be getting more info on this new Mario&Sonic Olympic Games here within the next few days. Interested to see if Surfing, Karate, 3X3 Basketball, and Rock Climbling will be included.

Shouldn't they promote Mario&Sonic at the nintendo e3 direct ? That's their best way to get exposure... I hope we get dream events and a story mode like in the handheld games.

Motwera

Oct 27, 2017
Dunno if this is worth a thread or anyone yet made a thread about it but
SEGA's licensing promo advert in the newest Licensing magazine issue just namedropped the 30th anniversary of Sonic the Hedgehog, thought this was interesting due to implications of major new game(s)

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
We know that a new game is in development so this doesn't say much new but it's still nice to have a summary of the state of the franchise. That new render is great ! Also, I can't help but find it funny how Forces isn't mentioned.

Motwera

Oct 27, 2017
I forgot to mention that even if there's nothing new, you should still watch out for the Las Vegas Licensing Expo for anything about SEGA/Sonic, since that's happening next week (June 4-6)

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Shouldn't they promote Mario&Sonic at the nintendo e3 direct ? That's their best way to get exposure... I hope we get dream events and a story mode like in the handheld games.

SEGA is back in charge of promotion/publishing for this game, as far as I know. It'll be getting a trailer soon enough either way though. We don't even have an official English logo yet.

Oct 25, 2017
Dunno if this is worth a thread or anyone yet made a thread about it but
SEGA's licensing promo advert in the newest Licensing magazine issue just namedropped the 30th anniversary of Sonic the Hedgehog, thought this was interesting due to implications of major new game(s)

Yeah... I feel like we're not getting another mainline Sonic until 2021. Maybe as a commemoration, we can get Sonic Adventure 3 on the 30th Anniversary? Triple for triple.

If I were Sega/Sonic Team, I'd let this year ride out and drop a trailer for a remaster collection with bonuses and goodies of 06(lol)/Unleashed/Colors/Generations. 4k/60fps, all that good stuff, for release in 2020. Then in late 2020, drop a trailer for the next Sonic game for 2021.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i never got use to shadow's new voices after Heroes, tbh. No problems with rest of the cast, just weirdly shadow.

Village

Oct 25, 2017

Shadow's new VA is a little difficult take in. Just can't stand the Vegeta-ness of it.

I wouldn't say its vegeta-ey. I wish it was , it would be better. Its and yes I know he voices the character, edgy siax , like he's trying to do a smooth voice and a gravely voice at the same time. And part of the issue is that, that's just kinda kirk's voice. If it was just veggie, it would just be gravely all the time. At least he wouldn't sound like he's actively shifting between two voices

I hope they change it at some point, a lot of the responses to the twitter take over was like " Yo I havent experienced anything sonic in a hot minute what the fuck did you do to shadow's voice " . Its not as bad as it was, but I feel its been a common enough complaint that I dunno, at least think about it. Its not like kirk wouldn't be on the cast, he also plays orbot.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Shadow's new VA is a little difficult take in. Just can't stand the Vegeta-ness of it.

I think he's mostly alright when he gets some room, the problem is they're scripting Shadow, even during these, so hard into this tiny one-note box now. So he's basically meant to read 90% of his lines through gritted teeth. I wouldn't get mad if someone else got a shot, though.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I think he's mostly alright when he gets some room, the problem is they're scripting Shadow, even during these, so hard into this tiny one-note box now. So he's basically meant to read 90% of his lines through gritted teeth. I wouldn't get mad if someone else got a shot, though.
Who would you pick?

Village

Oct 25, 2017
New Shadow knows that he is THE EDGE and rolls with it.
Eh , That would ruin it. Luckily though, this is a weird twitter thing for funzies and shadow in the games dosn't act like that. If he did, that would fuck up that character hard.

That character works because he's way into his own bullshit. Like the era he came from

Oct 25, 2017
"literally everything I do is motivated by proving I'm cooler and better than Sonic" is a Shadow I can get behind 100%

also "you're all corporate sellouts - I support the little guy" Shadow is 10 million times better than "I work with the global military that extrajudicially murdered my closest loved one" Shadow

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
SEGA is back in charge of promotion/publishing for this game, as far as I know. It'll be getting a trailer soon enough either way though. We don't even have an official English logo yet.

Yeah it's getting a trailer this E3 but I don't see why it wouldn't be at nintendo's e3 direct. Even if it's considered 3rd party, it's in their best interest to show it off there unless they want to cross promote with their other Olympic games.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Yeah it's getting a trailer this E3 but I don't see why it wouldn't be at nintendo's e3 direct. Even if it's considered 3rd party, it's in their best interest to show it off there unless they want to cross promote with their other Olympic games.

I think it'll be in a sizzle reel with many other third party games in the Direct, definitely, but it's SEGA's job to promote the game. I can see it on Treehouse Live as well.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
I think it'll be in a sizzle reel with many other third party games in the Direct, definitely, but it's SEGA's job to promote the game. I can see it on Treehouse Live as well.
Makes me wonder if we could get animated shorts for it mania adventures and overdrive style. Sega better put budget behind marketing this for once. It's got mario and the first one sold 10 million copies back in the day. A new game on switch, after a hiatus, would probably do better than super mario party which is at 5 million copies if they market it right.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Makes me wonder if we could get animated shorts for it mania adventures and overdrive style. Sega better put budget behind marketing this for once. It's got mario and the first one sold 10 million copies back in the day. A new game on switch, after a hiatus, would probably do better than super mario party which is at 5 million copies if they market it right.

The animated shorts are probably not going to happen, but Nintendo are definitely less protective of their IP than they used to be, so it's still possible, I'm sure Tyson and the team would absolutely love to do it. The last few didn't sell well because they were on the Wii U and that speaks for itself. However, we're in a new era, so things will definitely be different this time. The first three games were all huge sellers, and if SEGA markets the game well, this should be a pretty big hit. It helps that the Olympics are literally in the same city the game is taking place in. I have a feeling they're putting some serious effort into this one. The fact that the males are all wearing sports appropriate clothing shows me that they're paying a lot more attention to detail this time around. We'll see if my feeling is correct here within the next few days.

Last edited:

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
The animated shorts are probably not going to happen, but Nintendo are definitely less protective of their IP than they used to be, so it's still possible, I'm sure Tyson and the team would absolutely love to do it. The last few didn't sell well because they were on the Wii U and that speaks for itself. However, we're in a new era, so things will definitely be different this time. The first three games were all huge sellers, and if SEGA markets the game well, this should be a pretty big hit. It helps that the Olympics are literally in the same city the game is taking place in. I have a feeling they're putting some serious effort into this one. The fact that the males are all wearing sports appropriate clothing shows me that they're paying a lot more attention to detail this time around. We'll see if my feeling is correct here within the next few days.

I agree. Let's hope dream events are in and we get fun games like soccer, basketball, skateboarding, etc. Stuff that's more interactive.

I was looking at the Night of the Werehog short and I realized that adding up the three most viewed uploads resulted in 117 million (17M + 39M +60M). I think this shows that a well animated Sonic CGI movie could've done really well. No need to even talk about Sonic Mania Adventures reaching 37 million views on the compilation alone.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, who's doing this now, and why?
Twitter, IIRC Ian didn't specifify but if I had to guess considering he mentioned sonic, that it was weirdo's who blame him for whatever comic issues they have. They went after his family and he was upset. It isn't the first time this has happened

Last edited:

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
9bc.png

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He's...okayish? his best work was probably Black Knight....though I don't have a hard-on for him like certain parts of the fandom does. I get that writing in the games isn't all that great these days (localization writing aside), but it's not like he was all that good either.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Tbh the original sonic 3 and knuckles music is too memorable and part of the game for me that the alt. Music in cetain releases dont click with me
I am well aware of the mj documentary earlier this year mind you.

Aine

May 27, 2019
I always appreciated that Black Knight showed Sonic with a more anti-heroish side that rarely gets seen in other games.