• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Old_King_Coal

Nov 1, 2017
If any sequel ends up having as surprisingly good a story as sonic battle I'm all for it. (Also hello I haven't posted in a Sonic community thread for like several years, not since the old place)

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been saying Sonic Battle 2 for years you bandwagon motherfuckers

Kidding. You know what they say, the more the merrier

OP
OP
Professor Beef

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
M5W7jvk.gif

sonic battle delegation requests deletion of emerl

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
(Cross-posting from the Nintendo eShop OT)

Sonic anniversary sale now live:

One of the very best versions of Sonic 1 out there. Buy it, people.
Forces has a reputation for mediocrity but I bought it full price at launch and enjoyed it, especially when going back through the stages for the red star/number rings. Got around 30 hours of playtime out of it.

This is hugely surprising to see this on sale already considering it only just released a few weeks ago. In fact, I can't remember any other Sonic game getting a discount so soon after launch. I have to wonder if this is a direct marketing tactic in response to the impending release of Crash Team Racing. 🤔

I was fully intent on grabbing this day one but it slipped my mind, so I figured I'd just wait until a sale. Didn't expect one this fast though. lol

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Bah Spark the Electric Jester refuses to run for me, with or without controller connected.
When I start a new game, the screen turns black and the game won't run =_=.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
I really can't tell if he's legitimately nuts or just hooked on the attention he gets from trolling Twitter.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Make no mistake, Rivals Speed Battle only carries the Forces name so they can say the game was a success.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Conflicted on whether to get Racing for Switch or PC.

Transformed was better on PC by lightyears (and even has free DLC that the others never got), but it might be more convenient on Switch.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Finally playing Sonic Mania.

I want to be pissed at them for using old levels we've played a thousand times before, especially since the new stages are so good but its hard to get mad at Classic Sonic. Hopefully a sequel would be all original content.

Press Garden Zone music is soooo good.

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017

Yup, I wrote a blog about it!

I forgot to bring it up in the blog but this is actually what made me start taking video editing a little more seriously. Like I had taken it seriously before, but doing a test clip for DYKG made me realize I could push things even further. Makes me feel good because people have commented me on how good my editing is gotten recently in my video reviews

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, I'm listening to my weekly recommended playlist on Spotify, and a song called Hard Times by The Jetzons was on there. It got to the chorus, and I was like I'm sure I know this, but I don't recognise the song.

It's literally just Ice Cap Zone. Is this part of the reason why Sonic 3 never gets rereleased nowadays?

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Wait, I'm listening to my weekly recommended playlist on Spotify, and a song called Hard Times by The Jetzons was on there. It got to the chorus, and I was like I'm sure I know this, but I don't recognise the song.

It's literally just Ice Cap Zone. Is this part of the reason why Sonic 3 never gets rereleased nowadays?
Yep. The theory is that the Michael Jackson Estate has the rights of the other problematic songs even if the man himself never made any of them.

My personal theory is that the estate wants things in return that SEGA cannot offer, like partial rights to the Sonic franchise.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yep. The theory is that the Michael Jackson Estate has the rights of the other problematic songs even if the man himself never made any of them.

My personal theory is that the estate wants things in return that SEGA cannot offer, like partial rights to the Sonic franchise.

Thankfully, Ice Cap might be the safe one, since I don't think it's directly tied to Jackson the same way some others are; it's Brad Buxer reusing old, unreleased content he made in the first place. At the worst, it's The Jetzons they should have to contend with, not MJ or Dreams Come True.

I think if they can get Ice Cap locked down, they're probably ok to dump the MJ songs from there. I'm sure some people will miss Carnival Night, but I think for it being a weird song, and a decent replacement tune will keep people from getting too grumpy.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to really say. The music is just so good I don't know how much I'd want a s3&k without it, even if the gameplay itself is also my favorite in the classic series.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to really say. The music is just so good I don't know how much I'd want a s3&k without it, even if the gameplay itself is also my favorite in the classic series.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles already replaced 3 of the problem tracks, though, being the Knuckles theme, the Mini-Boss theme, and the Staff Roll, in addition to a few other tracks and jingles, like the Invincibility theme and title screen. To my knowledge, none of the the Sonic & Knuckles tracks are problematic, and they wouldn't have to replace all the tracks, as several are clearly ok. (Angel Island, Hydrocity, Boss, Big Arms, etc.)

I mean it's that, or apparently not have the game rereleased. Even if they got the rights to the tracks, like the famous Simpsons episode referenced above that is now pulled from distribution, they may not want to be associated with him anymore.

Village

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, to make money? I guess, I mean the mj song checks might be a bit smaller these days

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
These days SEGA seems to not even want to release a simple ROM of the game, which they did before. I think it's something absurd like rights to the franchise too.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't doubt that as a possibility, MJ's image taking a hit as of late doesn't help things. Partial rights seems too greedy, especially with all the money the estate continues to make despite recent events.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone

Yeah, this is where I'm at. Release it fully intact with the original soundtrack. Just do it and get it over with. I just want an official definitive S3&K so we don't need to keep begging for one for eternity. It would be especially glorious on Switch like Mania was.

If MJ was still alive I'd like to think this rerelease problem would be resolved by now, but what do I know. :/

Rurouni

Dec 25, 2017
It's cute to see people who think Nintendo buying out Sonic would automatically solve 99% of the franchise's problems (it won't).

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You'd also probably never get another Mania situation or find people like Whitehead and Stealth, thanks to Nintendo being more strict with their IPs.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I thought the Mario mini games (there was two of them, right?) were well-received.

There's like five or six of the Minis games, and Yasuhara worked on one of them. I think they're meant to be fine. I played the DSiware one and I don't remember a lot of it, but it was like... okay. In terms of those games it's just that after DK '94 and the first Mario vs Donkey Kong which was more of that great puzzle platforming formula to go to fine Lemmings clones is kinda disappointing. And when you read that someone of Yasuhara's pedigree is going to Nintendo you maybe hope for a little more than that.