• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't feel like it's even been all that long since the last time, but alright, 'sup Era.

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats Sonic Era, you're the new community spotlight!

This showed up in my ads BTW
giphy.gif

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
So

Sonic Chronicles, worth the curiosity as an RPG fan or nah? Got a chance to get it dirt cheap

Maybe.

It doesn't go as far with trying to be a unique RPG experience utilizing the IP for my liking, but it is interesting to get a brief glimpse of "what could have been" when it comes to a game that actually tried to build up the game verse's lore in a way we'll likely never see again.

But in another context, you could say it was this was the game that changed everything, thanks to the ensuing lawsuits that followed!

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Big's dialogue in Sonic Chronicles is the game's only saving grace.
... Fuck , you aren't wrong.

I would like them to attempt a sonic RPG in the style of a final fantasy game kinda?
You can like give the characters jobs and they would dress in fantastical outfits. Some characters couldn't do all jobs but it would be neat

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sonic Chronicles was maybe the only Bioware game where I enjoyed being "bad". It was kind of nice to be a snarky Sonic after years of "REAL SUPER POWER OF TEAMWORK!" The battle system was a total drag, though. I think I got up to Big and kind of fizzled out from there. I remember the overworld map being kind of clunky too.

I would like them to attempt a sonic RPG in the style of a final fantasy game kinda?
You can like give the characters jobs and they would dress in fantastical outfits. Some characters couldn't do all jobs but it would be neat

Sounds like a spiritual successor to the Storybook series in some ways. They could even bring back some of the outfits.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a spiritual successor to the Storybook series in some ways. They could even bring back some of the outfits.
Eh more so an evolution, the only costume I would bring back is sonic's . I would expand on everyone's roles , in that game everyone was like a knight but in this hypotheical games everyone would be their own specific take on a knight because it isn't soley based in sonic's mind. I guess the would be like alts you could choose but like I would want like the characters to be their own interpetations of the classes ifthat make sense?

And you could have like the characters be " classes " from other sega games.

Last edited:

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
I've been watching Game Grumps Sonic Boom series and.. what the heck did they do to Amy's face in that game? There is something really wrong there. Like, her mouth seems very weird at times.

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
My memory of Sonic Chronicles is that it was one of the best Sonic stories of its era but everything else around it was working against it.

The music was foul, the menus were clunky, the touch control stuff wasn't always super responsive, and the character models were downright embarrassing. I've thought about going back to it a few times and I just can't ever bring myself to do it.

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
Also, the ending is boiled shit because they were clearly banking on being able to make Sonic Chronicles 2 even though that game came out almost six months after EA bought Bioware.

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Talking about bad Sonic games let's plays, Matt & Liam recently finished theirs on Sonic 06 :

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Guess I'll give Chronicles a pass, then. I completely forgot that kicked off the whole Penders shitstorm, though.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I'll give Chronicles a pass, then. I completely forgot that kicked off the whole Penders shitstorm, though.
The funniest thing regarding that game is

" The only thing canon from chronicles is a lawsuit "

I laugh and then I get really sad.

Speak of the devil, here's a preview of the Pender's glorious new comic

XlXI2oI.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Endless Possibility is the greatest track a Sonic game has ever ended on. Sonic Unleashed had a killer soundtrack in general. I have a hell of a lot of problems with Sonic Unleashed, but regardless of what you think of the game nobody can deny the soundtrack is straight fire. Discuss.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
I refuse to believe Penders is actually working on that on a regular basis.

I have a hell of a lot of problems with Sonic Unleashed, but regardless of what you think of the game nobody can deny the soundtrack is straight fire. Discuss.
Easily in the series' all time top five, and I'd entertain arguments for it being the best soundtrack.

Old_King_Coal

Nov 1, 2017
I would say of all the game's regions, Shamar has the most consistent level of quality music. The day hub and day stage music are both great, the night hub is alright and the night stage is fantastic.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Endless Possibility is the greatest track a Sonic game has ever ended on. Sonic Unleashed had a killer soundtrack in general. I have a hell of a lot of problems with Sonic Unleashed, but regardless of what you think of the game nobody can deny the soundtrack is straight fire. Discuss.
I could only fully appreciate the lovely nighttime music by listening to it via the OST seeing that in-game it's constantly interrupted by

The funniest thing regarding that game is

" The only thing canon from chronicles is a lawsuit "

I laugh and then I get really sad.

Speak of the devil, here's a preview of the Pender's glorious new comic

XlXI2oI.jpg
Who is the audience for this comic?! It feels like this is one big troll by Penders.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I refuse to believe Penders is actually working on that on a regular basis.
I don't think he's working on it much at all, he's been talking about an app and his comic for years. Though ta SDCC he did show off a moving version of it, which according to him elicited gasps of awe

So he's working on... something. What it is I don't know. The Cynic in me thinks that he' not working on that regularly. The bigger cynic in me think he is and it will be worse than anyone even thinks.

Who is the audience for this comic?! It feels like this is one big troll by Penders.

My friend, the comic is for Ken. Simply put , while the new book isn't perfect and its most recent issue as... drawn some ire on various sites, but in general its much better than the old one. And a lot of people like it, infact so many people enjoy it some of its issues regularly sell out. One of the reasons comonly sites is " this book has characters I know it it because they are from the video games I didn't really like any of the Archie characters " . And this is antithetical to all the shit penders talks on twitter. Besides the weird and phobic shit .

This is a man who claimed from rumors forged in the depths of his own ass that allegedly that comic shops wouldn't pick up the new sonic book because the freedom fighters weren't in it. And while they have their own fans, they are largely characters from a dead cartoon that has been not relevant to the franchise in multiple decades and is so old that me , grown as man who pays taxes didn't grow up with that cartoon. Give the older sonic fans a moment to turn into skeletons.

Anywho , this is a man who believed this so much he spread fake rumors... or tried to suggesting this. Why? He went to court over this , he burned his bridges over this. Then continued to do so over twitter with multiple members of the comic book industry. And then recently effectively burned the bridges of the Archie characters that weren't in legal peril by associating them with his weirdness. He's isolated. And the thing he hangs his hat on, has largely moved on with out him. So it has to be worth it , because if its not... what did he do all that for. So how do you make it worth it? You make the big cool book than you think, no you know will prove to everyone that you were right. You are infact a big smart writing genious and not a low teir writer who couldn't get jobs anywhere else so he took a sonic job and was allowed to exist because there wasn't much in the way of other sonic material at the time outside of the games and sonic teams brand management was... lax to say the least at the time.

The more he talks on twitter the more his tenure over the book makes sense. There's a scene with shadow, that basically explains his entire philosophy on sonic. The man is fascinating the same way a giant dumpster fire is facinating

OP
OP
Professor Beef

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World