• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Sega should just pick them up to do a SONIC FIGHTERS 2, wtf not

I think they've been fishing for this very thing for a while. Honestly, with the amount of time between Sonic releases anymore, it couldn't hurt. I know it's nostalgia talking, but earlier today I was just thinking about how we used to get so many Sonic spin-offs. Now it's basically just Olympics and Racing.

Granted, Sonic Labyrinth, Tails' Sky Patrol, Sonic Pinball Party, Shuffle, etc. may not have turned out the best. But I miss some of the experimentation.

(I also think Battle and maybe Shuffle could be remade with relatively small budgets and do pretty well, especially with an expanded playable cast and refinements.)

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
i will not condone any slander about sonic pinball party

OXoySWT.png

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
Are we really gonna have to accept that Sonic Mania Plus will be the last time we'll ever see Sonic Mania again?

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
They aren't having a Xmas party at Joyopolis this year which is pretty crazy, since they have them, even on years without a major Sonic release.

I'll say it again. Next year is going to be a filler year. They'll hype up the anniversary and hint at the new games that'll come with it, but that's it, wouldn't expect anything else.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Also, pretty sure Uno Yuji did that cover for IDW's Sonic annual. He works for SEGA and posts art on Twitter regularly.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
so target had forces marked down to $10, and i can't say no to a sonic game for that much...

wasn't this game supposed to be bad? I'm having a blast, it feels like the newer IDW comic in terms of story, and the variety in styles/power ups is neat too. not getting the hate here.

OP
OP
Professor Beef

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
so target had forces marked down to $10, and i can't say no to a sonic game for that much...

wasn't this game supposed to be bad? I'm having a blast, it feels like the newer IDW comic in terms of story, and the variety in styles/power ups is neat too. not getting the hate here.
the common label people put on it is that it's "aggressively mediocre"

it doesn't excel in any area (aside from the create a character, which is somehow amazing), and the physics are all weird since it's not based off Unleashed/Colors/Generations, but Lost World instead

still, people have spent $10 on worse things, like 06 or Shadow the Hedgehog

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
The level design is shallower than Sonic 1's plot and has very little going on to keep them interesting past the novelty of a single playthrough, especially if you were looking for engaging 3D courses. There's a whole host of other issues with regards to controls/bosses/writing/music, but that's the big, crippling one, and coming out right on the heels of Mania did it no favors by comparison.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
oh the physics have their issues (boss fights can be a shore) and I'm not gonna replay this

but I'm enjoying this more than unleashed, lost world etc. granted my expectations for non mania games aren't especially high, but this one's surprised me

what's the closest y'all have felt to something following up advance 2?

PS is anyone else really enjoying the IDW/pandersless comic

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
oh the physics have their issues (boss fights can be a shore) and I'm not gonna replay this

but I'm enjoying this more than unleashed, lost world etc. granted my expectations for non mania games aren't especially high, but this one's surprised me

what's the closest y'all have felt to something following up advance 2?

I've been enjoying Ian Flynn's work on the Sonic comics since his very first issue.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Forces is just such a step down in most every way from games prior, which is not the way it should work.

I think it's a little weary dealing with so much "Okay this didn't work, okay this didn't work", but they are trying to sell a concept, not just do something for a few issues and then get bored like Archie always did.
They took Sonic's focus on "Mr. Tinker" further than I expected, and even gave Eggman a moment of hesitation over it. Hopefully they've put a cap on that for good, though.
It still feels shackled to Forces in an unfortunate way, and that they're still trying to push Sega for enough room to tell interesting stories (I am SHOCKED that
they allowed Shadow to get transformed
).

The Tangle and Whisper mini-series was excellent.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Sega should just pick them up to do a SONIC FIGHTERS 2, wtf not
Considering that the vast majority of animations in the current version of the game are just literally directly ripped off from other fighting game characters, it'd be kind of dicey to release it as a commercial product.

Right now, the most fun mini-game to play in Sonic Smackdown is arguably "identify which Capcom character is being reskinned for this fighter."

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering that the vast majority of animations in the current version of the game are just literally directly ripped off from other fighting game characters, it'd be kind of dicey to release it as a commercial product.

Right now, the most fun mini-game to play in Sonic Smackdown is arguably "identify which Capcom character is being reskinned for this fighter."
Yeah but they have skill to pull off changes with proper funding. Also not like fighters do shout outs and near reskin characters as is

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Since it's now Christmas in many parts of the world, I just wanted to remind everyone that a certain someone cameos in Jingle All the Way and that you should go and watch it today if you haven't done so already (as if anyone needed another excuse to watch this timeless holiday cinematic masterpiece).

ip7xrcr6pz521.png

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Holy dang Issue 24. Also, that artwork by Adam Bryce Thomas and Bracardi Curry, holy crap.

Rurouni

Dec 25, 2017
So with this decade ending, how would you rate it for the output of Sonic games overall?

For me, it'll probably land around a 5/10. Despite 2010-11's seemingly promising start for 3D projects, it lead to the decline in ambition, budget, and creativity which pretty much killed it for me in ways that have it ending up as my least favorite.

Last edited:

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say the same. Decade started with Sonic 4, Sonic Colors, and Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing; it ended with Sonic Mania, Sonic Forces, and Team Sonic Racing. If that's not poetry, I don't know what is.

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I've waited for quite a long time for a game like Sonic Mania. Just having it made this decade quite good in my end. The 3d games just pretty much died after Gens so for its most ardent fans it wasn't a nice decade for sure .

I'm very curious about what the near future holds for the series. I have no clue where Sonic Team will try to steer the franchise.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
2010 to 2012 were some of the best consecutive years to be a Sonic fan. Colors, All Stars Racing, Generations and ASR Transformed back to back was great.

I think things kinda petered out after that aside from Mania, which is quite literally the Sonic game of my dreams (A 2D Sonic game designed as if it were a Saturn successor to the Genesis/CD/32X entries seemed like such a wild pipe dream!). Forces was wack and Team Sonic Racing was kind of boring.

It's kind of funny to think that the console generation with Sonic 06 is the one with a (somewhat) consistent turnaround in quality for the series.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Team Sonic Racing and Crash Team Racing could not be more different, despite hitting many of the same notes. Sumo did not get the budget or support it needed, even with the delay. And it's just amazing that the cast list is so ludicrously small, with zero DLC.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I remember thinking Sonic was gonna be back on track in at least a solid 7-8/10 way after that sprint at the beginning of the decade.
Ah, to be young and naive again, Mania notwithstanding.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like Shadow's post-Sonic Adventure 2 run animation

qrmCIl0.gif

The SA2 run animation looks like he's running fast with unique hover roller boots.

SQtbDq3.gif

His new run animation looks like he's ice skating, and then when he boosts, he flies like Super Sonic.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
IDW #24 is the bleakest thing Ian's written since his fancomic days, jesus. The Deadly Six might actually be here to lighten the mood.