• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
IDW #24 is the bleakest thing Ian's written since his fancomic days, jesus. The Deadly Six might actually be here to lighten the mood.
Tell me about it.
You got the new wolf girl distraught over losing the new lemur girl after their 4 issue teamup comic.

Then you have Cream the Rabbit, sweetest, most innocent kid in the Sonic cast, practically broken after losing her two Chao and her mom.

CREAM, people!

Sure, after the next few issues, the entire story will end with everyone cured of the Metal virus, but then comes the aftermath. PTSD is a bitch.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Tell me about it.
You got the new wolf girl distraught over losing the new lemur girl after their 4 issue teamup comic.

Then you have Cream the Rabbit, sweetest, most innocent kid in the Sonic cast, practically broken after losing her two Chao and her mom.

CREAM, people!

Sure, after the next few issues, the entire story will end with everyone cured of the Metal virus, but then comes the aftermath. PTSD is a bitch.
Yeah, although the normally so quiet Whisper dramatically yelling for her friend had me cackling, which is probably the opposite of the desired effect.

As for the PTSD thing, I doubt most characters will even remember the whole thing. They already established that thing that can alter reality if exposed to even a light amount of external energy, so things will be like none of this ever happened.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
There's a lot of moving parts and a ton of different factors that have led to the complete societal breakdown that is the current state of the IDW canon but it does at least feel like we're getting somewhere now.

Though Starline probably should've played his hand sooner so there was at least more tension going on between him and Eggman rather than the melodrama that's spanned the last year or so.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sonic twitter released a very nice video celebrating the brand with footage from Mania and Racing.... they quickly deleted and re-uploaded it because they forgot to include Forces footage. They know what they did, but you gotta keep the charade up.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
This arc is too long
Yep, doesn't help that the " Oh no a character is gone " drama is ... the same basically each time, and it doesn't do anything cool and just removes characters from the story. If this was like MK zombies where they just become an asshole version of themselves I would be WAY more into this and actively rooting for deaths. This just seems... repetitious. All that is on top of everything has to return to status quo so, yeah

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's probably using a different version of Denuvo, but I'm curious if Team Sonic Racing is having any troubles booting up on PC today.

Edit: Seems to work fine. So it's just recent Denuvo.

Last edited:

Nali

Oct 25, 2017

There were a couple bits of Lah art out of the blue back around Halloween, but Marza's apparently since gone nuts and been posting new pieces almost every day.

Oct 25, 2017

There were a couple bits of Lah art out of the blue back around Halloween, but Marza's apparently since gone nuts and been posting new pieces almost every day.

This is the studio that made the Sonic Unleashed short over a decade ago, right?

I'm curious about the influx of art with this ghost girl lately. I know there is a lot of fanart over the years , but is this from the staff themselves, or was the fanart provided to them?

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
They went by a different name back then, but yeah, same people.

It's all stuff they're drawing internally, apparently just for the fun of it.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That mod is crazy. I misread the title as "Sonic Advance" at first, and it took me a few moments to figure out which game they were even using as a base (Adventure 1, 2, or Heroes).

Had a dream last night about the next Sonic game. The title escapes me, but it was something short and simple, akin to Sonic Forces. They dropped a 2 minute long trailer, and 95% of it was story cutscene footage, with a LOT of talking, especially about some central courtroom drama. Like an episode of Sonic Boom, but without any humor. There was a tiny bit of gameplay; it looked like more of the same, but slightly better than Forces, and overdone "improved" lighting (but no real art style change).

Just thought I'd share the mild horror.

Last edited:

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That mod is crazy. I misread the title as "Sonic Advance" at first, and it took me a few moments to figure out which game they were even using as a base (Adventure 1, 2, or Heroes).

Had a dream last night about the next Sonic game. The title escapes me, but it was something short and simple, akin to Sonic Forces. They dropped a 2 minute long trailer, and 95% of it was story cutscene footage, with a LOT of talking, especially about some central courtroom drama. Like an episode of Sonic Boom, but without any humor. There was a tiny bit of gameplay; it looked like more of the same, but slightly better than Forces, and overdone "improved" lighting (but no real art style change).

Just thought I'd share the mild horror.
Sonic Rift.

Believe the 4chan "leaks" 👀

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I will die on the hill that Sonic 06 had many flaws but its level structure was, when it was good, extremely on point and some of the best of the series.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I will die on the hill that Sonic 06 had many flaws but its level structure was, when it was good, extremely on point and some of the best of the series.

I'm not specifically arguing your point (not agreeing with it either), but you say that as if this speedrun video isn't using Gems and Mach Speed physics to skip major portions of the levels in obviously unintended ways.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Oh yeah I mean like I wouldn't have figured that you could safely launch off the hut roofs like that even in a rebuilt engine specifically because touching anything else will hurt you, but I'm thinking as much if not more about Dusty Desert or (at least the first part of) Kingdom Valley.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
There's like, a 0% chance we won't get a sequel to Mania.

It's just not looking good if you were hoping it was going to happen anytime soon.
The nightmare scenario would be the original team not returning to develop the sequel and having Sonic Team themselves ruin the entire series developing the game themselves and fucking shit up.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
'06 definitely has the widest levels of any Adventure style game when it comes to giving the player options for how to get through an area.

They're just also pretty short, keep interrupting the player, and Sonic won't shut the hell up ever.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
The nightmare scenario would be the original team not returning to develop the sequel and having Sonic Team themselves ruin the entire series developing the game themselves and fucking shit up.

Eh, Sonic Generations and even Forces are plenty of evidence that they can make perfectly good alternate layouts of Green Hill and Chemical Plant on their own; the biggest issue I had with classic Sonic in Forces is that, like with Generations, most of the physics is fixed around splines rather than what I'd think of as first principles. I'd only be worried if they didn't have access to Mania's engine.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
with Generations, most of the physics is fixed around splines rather than what I'd think of as first principles. I'd only be worried if they didn't have access to Mania's engine.
This is my main area of concern. But I doubt they wouldn't just use the already existing Mania engine.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Sonic Block will start soon at AGDQ. I got my stream up for this. And eyyyy look what the bonus game for the block is

Last edited:

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
I can totally see Sonic Team not using the Mania Engine
giphy.gif

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017

story aside it wouldve been a fine game if SEGA didn't rush it out. Loading screens, the countless bugs, all of that probably would've been fixed if given time..

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I think if the sonic film is very sucesful it will have effects on the rest in the brand. Not in the way some perceive, sonic will not turn into the film. But I think they will press go on some thinks they have been very clearly thinking about for quite sometime.

Oct 25, 2017

I die with you on that hill.

Lots of the level design and the ideas on paper were really solid. The worst parts about it are that it's simply an unfinished game.

In all honesty, I'm surprised the retail copy wasn't worse than what we got considering everything working against it (exotic PS3 architecture, first HD gen game, team cut in half, failed Wii port, Naka leaving before launch, 15 different playstyles to program/design for amongst 50 different stage layouts, the list goes on). There was just no hope a game of that scope was coming out in polished fashion with so many impossible barriers.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
What's the threshold for "very successful" though? $300+ million worldwide? 🤔
I cant say what threshold exactly enough. But enough to sorta convince them they can just dump a buncha stuff that people may like. For overall changes they think will go better. To some bv this statement may seem like a "no duh" but it isnt sega has been teetering not committing to dumping and changing things. Ian flynn has recently revealed sole more junk they are teetering on. If they see this complete departure from what makes sonic, sonic in this film resonate with audiences they might actually press emergency button number 3.

Oct 27, 2017
OK, quick question here. I'm playing through Sonic Unleashed (no idea why, the game is shit) and I finally managed to suffer through Eggmanland, the Egg Dragoon and the fight with Dark Gaia. After I finished that AWFUL final part of the Dark Gaia battle, the PS3 locked up during the Perfect Dark Gaia cutscene and I had to restart it. And... It seems the game didn't save after I beat Dark Gaia? Do I seriously have to fight Eggman and then Dark Gaia AGAIN? If so, fuck this game, I'll just give up then. Game's a terrible shitshow anyway.

OP
OP
Professor Beef

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
OK, quick question here. I'm playing through Sonic Unleashed (no idea why, the game is shit) and I finally managed to suffer through Eggmanland, the Egg Dragoon and the fight with Dark Gaia. After I finished that AWFUL final part of the Dark Gaia battle, the PS3 locked up during the Perfect Dark Gaia cutscene and I had to restart it. And... It seems the game didn't save after I beat Dark Gaia? Do I seriously have to fight Eggman and then Dark Gaia AGAIN? If so, fuck this game, I'll just give up then. Game's a terrible shitshow anyway.
I don't remember if that game has auto save, so, if you didn't save...

Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember if that game has auto save, so, if you didn't save...

It has auto-save.

It does not save between the Egg Dragoon, Dark Gaia or Perfect Gaia.

So yeah, I yeeted it off into the ether just like Sonic does when the auto-aim doesn't work in the game (and by that I mean I just gave up on Perfect Gaia and shelved the game as I wasn't having fun with it anyway).

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you did get through it, and you hated it, so maybe that was the game giving you the final sign...

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, you did get through it, and you hated it, so maybe that was the game giving you the final sign...

It gave me the final sign I'll just stick to replaying the 8-bit and 16-bit games + Mania until the end of time :p Also picked up a Master System repro of Sonic Triple Trouble around Christmas. It supposedly looks a tad worse than the Game Gear original and has some glitches, but finally I can play the game on original Sega hardware, yay! Think I might buy a repro of Tails Adventure too.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Man, I couldn't even stomach Unleashed PS3 past Chun-Nan. I don't know about the 360 version, but the town area was damn near a literal slideshow performance wise.

Ended up downloading a save and playing the daytime stages every now and then when I wanted a 3D Sonic fix outside of Colors and Generations.

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I couldn't even stomach Unleashed PS3 past Chun-Nan. I don't know about the 360 version, but the town area was damn near a literal slideshow performance wise.

Ended up downloading a save and playing the daytime stages every now and then when I wanted a 3D Sonic fix outside of Colors and Generations.

I don't really mind the framerate, my issues were more with the awful camera, the sloppy and imprecise controls and the, at times, godawful level design (Eggmanland is straight up terrible with its bottomless pits, insta-death QTEs, poor camera, awful controls and how damn long and boring the level is). The only things I really like about the game are the graphics and some of the music. The package as a whole is just a straight up bad game overall. Generations is a much, much better game overall, really.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna make a thread when it's all done but I can post it here

Sonic smack downs reanimation has begun

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I don't really mind the framerate, my issues were more with the awful camera, the sloppy and imprecise controls and the, at times, godawful level design (Eggmanland is straight up terrible with its bottomless pits, insta-death QTEs, poor camera, awful controls and how damn long and boring the level is). The only things I really like about the game are the graphics and some of the music. The package as a whole is just a straight up bad game overall. Generations is a much, much better game overall, really.
While I don't disagree per-se, I do think that there's a few levels in Unleashed that are at least on par with levels in Generations. Unleashed is very much an uneven game, but at least Rooftop Run, Dragon Road and Skyscraper Scamper are fun to pop in and try to optimize. There's a weird amount of twitch reaction in Unleashed that rightfully got dropped for future entries, but there's a few levels where it kind of works in its favor.

Eggmanland probably should've been scrapped in planning though.

That said, while the "entrance stage" was a stupid idea and just horrible to move around in, I actually really liked the town areas. Gave the game a good bit of flavor that they haven't really tried to replicate later.

Oct 27, 2017
While I don't disagree per-se, I do think that there's a few levels in Unleashed that are at least on par with levels in Generations. Unleashed is very much an uneven game, but at least Rooftop Run, Dragon Road and Skyscraper Scamper are fun to pop in and try to optimize. There's a weird amount of twitch reaction in Unleashed that rightfully got dropped for future entries, but there's a few levels where it kind of works in its favor.

Eggmanland probably should've been scrapped in planning though.

That said, while the "entrance stage" was a stupid idea and just horrible to move around in, I actually really liked the town areas. Gave the game a good bit of flavor that they haven't really tried to replicate later.

The town areas are fine and I kinda like those small sidequests they offer (although I still wonder who the Hell thought it was a good idea to have a grown ass man make Sonic deliver anonymous gifts to a little girl, that was just... no). But yeah, the entrance stages kinda sucked and had no real reason for being there.

Some levels do indeed work fine, while others suffer from the bad controls, twitchy gameplay, unreliable auto-aim/boost, and from the game not really letting you know what it wants you to do.

Eggmanland really is the worst. People complain about Marble Zone, Labyrinth Zone etc.? Bruh plz. Play Eggmanland, then come back to me.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
The town areas are fine and I kinda like those small sidequests they offer (although I still wonder who the Hell thought it was a good idea to have a grown ass man make Sonic deliver anonymous gifts to a little girl, that was just... no). But yeah, the entrance stages kinda sucked and had no real reason for being there.

Some levels do indeed work fine, while others suffer from the bad controls, twitchy gameplay, unreliable auto-aim/boost, and from the game not really letting you know what it wants you to do.

Eggmanland really is the worst. People complain about Marble Zone, Labyrinth Zone etc.? Bruh plz. Play Eggmanland, then come back to me.

You think beating eggmanland is hard try going for the chilidogs. Sure the time limit they assign is nothing, but you have to do it without dying. Three times.

Fortunately I learned that a skilled run of the level paces itself surprisingly well with a play of Parliament's album Funkentelechy vs. the Placebo Syndrome.

Oct 27, 2017
You think beating eggmanland is hard try going for the chilidogs. Sure the time limit they assign is nothing, but you have to do it without dying. Three times.

Fortunately I learned that a skilled run of the level paces itself surprisingly well with a play of Parliament's album Funkentelechy vs. the Placebo Syndrome.

I think I played like one chili dog mission before I told the hot dog dude to shove the chili dogs up his ass. Those missions kinda sucked too. Both Unleashed and Heroes have quite a few good ideas, but end up just halfassing them or executing them poorly.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
While no other specific details have been confirmed, there have been a few features confirmed for the upcoming Sega Ages Sonic 2 port via Destructoid via Famitsu: the drop dash, the 3DS port's Super Sonic mode, and the return of Knuckles. I would hope they'd get something closer to feature parity with the mobile ports (i.e., including Tails' flight mechanics a la Sonic 3, expanding the 2 player mode to include most of the game's levels, and having a 3D special stage render) but I'm less optimistic because that's not really M2's motivation. (On the other hand I felt most of the changes to Sonic 1 on mobile were detrimental to the experience and preferred the M2 3DS release to it at the time, but I'm also just more of a purist for that game specifically)