Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT| There’s no end to this franchise!

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Shadow a bunch in SA2. Then they brought him back and he's ambiguously a clone with no purpose. And then he was kinda just there for a while. And then they ripped away any ounce of having a continuity or world building from the series, but Shadow's still there cause you can't not have him. So basically he's mishandled and I don't much care for him ever since he became more of a symbol than a person.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
These characters "purpose" is to make money. Focusing on that is missing the Forrest for the trees. They continue to exist because people pay money, and like theme enough to do so. You have characterization gripes, fine. That's a different issue though.

Last edited:

Old_King_Coal

Nov 1, 2017
I recently finished reading through every single comic in the main Archie series and Sonic Universe. What a ride. Having now read Archie, Fleetway and IDW (so far), it’s been fun to see all the different ways of interpreting the same source material.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Has Sonic 3 and Knuckles always felt slower and a bit...jittery when it comes to frame rate? Playing a rom of it and i compared it to stand alone Sonic 3 wich i feel run alot smoother. Have not played theese games since Mania released.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Infinite is a cool villain. There, I said it.
I think he had a lot of potential and they almost accidently wrote a very unique and compelling villain , but I can't say he's cool as is. I wouldn't mind if they took another swing. Focus on shadow angle maybe get rid of the ruby and just have be some guy who keeps augmenting himself to get better. You could have a genuinely unique and interesting bad guy in sonic.
He could be like a sonic combination of lex luthor and Deathstroke if they did it right, lot of potential.

lot more potential than the d6 imo.

Sciz

Oct 25, 2017
Has Sonic 3 and Knuckles always felt slower and a bit...jittery when it comes to frame rate? Playing a rom of it and i compared it to stand alone Sonic 3 wich i feel run alot smoother. Have not played theese games since Mania released.
It shouldn't feel any different, no. S&K's engine is mostly the same as S3's version, with some small optimizations and bugfixes (and a few new bugs in their place). Sonic 3 AIR's the best way to play the game these days, in any case.

DragonSJG

Mar 4, 2019
So how do we think Sonic's personality was in the movie? I think he was kinda too immature and his obsession with friends/loneliness was eh as Sonic is kind of a loner

Village

Oct 25, 2017
So how do we think Sonic's personality was in the movie? I think he was kinda too immature and his obsession with friends/loneliness was eh as Sonic is kind of a loner
Sonics personality in film was interesting. Personally I have wanted sonic as a person to move more in a dork direction and that was it. It works well and he comes of ernest and not needlessly snarky. I think his personality is one of the few things from the film I enjoy. And i hope sega takes notes on that.

Sciz

Oct 25, 2017
He feels like the thirteen year old shaped exclusively by movies and television that he is. Definitely a little younger and less mature than his game counterpart, but give him a couple years of scraps with Eggman and getting to actually talk to people and he'd get there.

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
I actually really appreciate they wrote Sonic to be a little younger. It feels like they've been secretly pushing Sonic's age up and up and up without ever really nailing down what it originally was. Some media said he was 15, some 16 or even 17, but I don't think he's ever actually acted like a kid a whole lot. It was a fresh change of pace from "nebulous age where he's old enough to have responsibilities but he's somehow not an adult."

(I think some previews for Sonic Generations even said characters were celebrating Sonic's actual 20th birthday in the game)

I was saying it on Twitter, but I think Sonic's personality in the movie is it's entire saving grace. James Marsden is vanilla ice cream and Jim Carrey is trying really hard to do a Jim Carrey impersonation (circa 1998). Neither are especially great, and the movie's paced too quickly to really give anyone any kind of depth. Sonic is the one we learn the most about, he's the movie's emotional core, and DragonSJG is right -- he is a loner, and I appreciate that they give him a reason to be a loner, and give him a reaction to being a loner. A friendly guy without anyone to be friendly with. It works.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Count me as someone who also enjoyed Sonic's personality in the film, I really like that they took "annoying" aspects about him from the games and created a logical backstory as to why he would act like that while also making those traits more endearing. He's obsessed with friends because he spent his whole life without any, he constantly talks because he never had anyone to talk to.

Speaking of the movie, I was very surprised to see that this was not an April Fool's joke: