• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Terranort

Oct 27, 2017
The only special stages that I like are the ones in 3&K and Mania, the others range from dislike (1, Rush) to absolute hate (any from the Advance games, ALL of the halfpipes, especially Heroes bleugh).

So I am glad that the series has more or less moved away from them, because they end up being more miss than hit.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best way IMO is beat the game, and then do the Special Stages using the stage that has a ring closer to the start (for example, Green Hill act 1).

My fav ones are the Sonic CD ones btw, provided you play them in the remake with proper framerate.
Wait I can use one big ring for all 7 emeralds if I do this after beating the game?m, did I understand correctly? How's that possible? The giant rings go away after trying it once right?

I did try the Sonic CD HD stages but nothing compares to Mania's. CD's were too confusing and the music for those stages sucked (it was just the menu music).

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Blue Spheres>Mania's UFO Chase>Sonic 3D Blast's (Saturn)>Sonic 1's >All other iteration of the half-pipe.

I really enjoyed Mania's, but Blue Spheres will always be the king, imo. Every time I play Mania, I spend like a good 30 minutes in the extra menu doing Blue Sphere stages because I find them that fun to play.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love Blue Sphere

I hate the UFO chase
I hate the blue sphere. At least Sonic Mania's versión of it is impossible for me and takes way too long. And good luck trying to find the last few blue spheres only to make one small mistake and you're out. I don't remember if the Genesis version of blue spheres were particularly different. UFO chasing I had more fun than all previous Sonic special stages combined.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blue Spheres>Mania's UFO Chase>Sonic 3D Blast's (Saturn)>Sonic 1's >All other iteration of the half-pipe.

I really enjoyed Mania's, but Blue Spheres will always be the king, imo. Every time I play Mania, I spend like a good 30 minutes in the extra menu doing Blue Sphere stages because I find them that fun to play.
You can do blue spheres from the Extra Menu?

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
I will always have a special place in my heart for the Saturn special stage of sonic 3d blast. I know it's another half pipe, but it's just so damn poppy, the music is great and they are actually fun to do

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
I only have like 4 medals. I'm terrible at blue spheres.

I've always found them easier than the half-pipe and Sonic 1's special stage, so they naturally became my favorite. Them returning after a 23 year hiatus was low key one of the bigggest reasons I was excited about Mania, lol.

I will always have a special place in my heart for the Saturn special stage of sonic 3d blast. I know it's another half pipe, but it's just so damn poppy, the music is great and they are actually fun to do

Same. I freakin' love these special stages so much.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Wait I can use one big ring for all 7 emeralds if I do this after beating the game?m, did I understand correctly? How's that possible? The giant rings go away after trying it once right?

Yes but once you beat the game, all rings respawn every time you load a stage. So you can use the nearest ring in GHZ1, beat it, reload and you'll have it up again while keeping the emerald you got before. If you fail you have to reload too but that's why you keep trying the closest one from the start,

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Besides Mania and Chaotix, the only Special Stage I actually enjoyed was from Colors DS. Simple but very effective and the music getting progressively faster as you pass always makes me happy. Saturn 3D Blast is also cool.

The stages from 2,3, Rush and other similar ones are ok. Sonic 1 and MD 3D Blast are probably the only ones I would categorize as terrible.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes but once you beat the game, all rings respawn every time you load a stage. So you can use the nearest ring in GHZ1, beat it, reload and you'll have it up again while keeping the emerald you got before. If you fail you have to reload too but that's why you keep trying the closest one from the start,
That's so much better than me exiting the game and going back to try again and having to try a different one after getting an emerald! Thanks

Sep 28, 2018
Aside from Mania, Sega buying Atlus was IMO the best decision the company ever made. Still coming to terms over Persona/SMT being Sega IP now.

I agree it was up there! Mutually beneficial, SEGA got some great IP's and an excellent localisation team that have no doubt helped get games like Yakuza, Valkyria and other niche SEGA titles localised. Meanwhile, Atlus got a great financial safety net, enough to amp up production and set up a new internal dev studio and a publishing arm in Europe. Together they have the clout to top metacritic year after year. Great times!

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Most of the good ones already got mentioned, but I'd like to throw in a bit of a dark horse (original character do not steal) of Sonic 4: Episode II. It starts off as a nice-looking but unoriginal remake of Sonic 2, but then starts mixing it up with the bumpers that can take you to secret tracks, the timed ring challenges, and continuing the team-up theme of the game with a ribbon power-up that stretches between the two, letting you grab all the rings between.

The only problem I have with it is that the last special stage requires some serious use of the ribbon to proceed, which is easy enough in co-op, but in Single Player you have to really coax the AI player's movements, since it's mostly just echoing Sonic's movement.

Oops, forgot to include the video:

Last edited:

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Most of the good ones already got mentioned, but I'd like to throw in a bit of a dark horse (original character do not steal) of Sonic 4: Episode II. It starts off as a nice-looking but unoriginal remake of Sonic 2, but then starts mixing it up with the bumpers that can take you to secret tracks, the timed ring challenges, and continuing the team-up theme of the game with a ribbon power-up that stretches between the two, letting you grab all the rings between.

The only problem I have with it is that the last special stage requires some serious use of the ribbon to proceed, which is easy enough in co-op, but in Single Player you have to really coax the AI player's movements, since it's mostly just echoing Sonic's movement.

After thinking about it, Episode II's special stages were probably the best part of that game, but yeah, the seventh chaos emerald was annoying to get. Still, If I rank my favorite variations of the half-pipe, I'd place it third after 3D Blast's and Rush's.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I like Blue Spheres a lot, but it seriously clashes with the rest of the pace, especially in Mania. As an extra mode I can seriously spend an afternoon playing Blue Spheres with Sonic 1 locked on to Sonic & Knuckles if I am in the right mood.

Mania Chase > Chaotix > Spinball > CD > 1 > Blue Spheres > halfpipes when they have a good framerate (excludes 4 Episode II and Heroes) > halfpipes with bad framerate > most other special stages > broken crap like Advance 1, Lost World 3DS, etc

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
The music is great as usual. I wish we had seen more gameplay from Frozen Junkyard. Can anyone tell if the Frozen Junkyard track is a remix from a known stage in the series ? I feel like I've heard parts of it before. Also, when will they release that godly cool edge remix we heard in that other video...

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This
Mania's UFO chase and Sonic 2's halfpipe are great too!!

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

New Japanese trailer, doesn't really have anything new though.

Also, I still don't get why they're marketing this game with the slowest speeds.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
All that comes to mind is that the intro is loosely similar to Theory of Attack from Runners, and that's probably a coincidence.

Yeah, it's probably a coincidence. What I feel is similar isn't the intro tho. It's the part that starts at 0:50. I feel like it might be from Forces (I have no clue what track it would be) because Frozen Junkyard looks like it's taking element from Forces stages like Space Port and Final Judgment along with the giant mechs.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
They're not great by any stretch of the imagination, but I actually have something of a soft spot for Triple Trouble's special stages.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Mania UFO Chase > whatever

Years ago I had ideas for different types of Special Stages, many resembling side missions from Unleashed/Generations, or other gimmicks that play more like a normal level. Then some were more like mini games. One idea was chasing a speeding Emerald down an obstacle course; something like Heroes, but on a more straightforward environment with mild platforming and a few enemies, instead of in a tube. After completing one you could unlock more bonus stages of the same type like Colors' Sonic Simulator. Variations would include a bonus item getting shot out of a cannon, and another being thrown by a quarterback robot on a football field where you have to run a route and avoid defense bots to make the catch.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
on the Japanese website, there is a list of the cars names

Sonic: Speed Star .Ok , alright. He's the OG main character play on speedster. Fine nough
Tails: Whirlwind Sport: I like this, makes it sound like tails built his own car. I like to think tails built his team's cars
Knuckles: Land Breaker. Shi Ra DIIIIIHHH

Shadow: Dark Reaper.... I uh. Ok. That's hilarious. Shadow's bike is named Dark Rider. Maybe he just names everything he owns Dark "__" . Well with the customization feature and that name, maybe we can get a ghost rider type skin
Rouge : Lip Spyder. Cute reference to a real life brand of car, her car looks like. Could have been bat spyder but I guess its either lipstick or the fact that the front of her car sticks out due to the heart shape.
Omega: Cross Dozer .... I don't get it but ok. I guess like motocross plus bulldozer? But that doesn't make any sense because the technique cars are the ones who can go on dirt. But I geuss like with knuckles's car the theme is being big and tough even though... they can't drive off road.

Amy: Pink Cabriolet. Pink Convertible.... that's uh... that's real imaginative.
Chao: Chao Pod..... Amy's team bastion of creativity.
Big: Frog Cruiser.... well it was either a froggy or a fishing reference.

Vector: Beat Monster. Sick name for a car, probably listened to cool music in his cool car
Silver: Lighttron. Unless I'm missing some lore. I assume because its glowing and looks like something from tron.
Blaze: Royal Chariot. She's a princess, fancy car. Make sense.

Eggman: Egg Booster. Kinda makes it sound like a giant metal booster seat.
Metal: Formula M. Because he's metal.
Zavok:Road Dragoon....I don't know man. Dudes barely a character. Dragons it is I guess.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (& Knuckles) turns 25 today!!!

Happy birthday to what I consider even now as the best game in the series!

I still remember buying my copy from Target almost 25 years ago to the day, as well as trying to collect all of the McDonald's toys. I also have a ton of nostalgia for this commercial:

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Dragons actually were his gimmick in Lost World. He rode on top of one for a boss fight and his levels featured them.
Oh im aware
I just have nothing to say....dragons

That's it. I didn't think much of it then , i don't think much it now did nothing as far as characterization went.

It would be like zeena having a snow car, i get it.... I just got nothing to say

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I'm excited to see what other zones are extrapolated from the seven (that was the number, right?) locale types in Team Sonic Racing. Seeing Sand Hill and a ghost pyramid level a la Sandopolis has been really cool to see, and I'm sure they'll be fun to race on, too. Sumo does great work with its track design.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
on the Japanese website, there is a list of the cars names

Sonic: Speed Star .Ok , alright. He's the OG main character play on speedster. Fine nough
Tails: Whirlwind Sport: I like this, makes it sound like tails built his own car. I like to think tails built his team's cars
Knuckles: Land Breaker. Shi Ra DIIIIIHHH

Shadow: Dark Reaper.... I uh. Ok. That's hilarious. Shadow's bike is named Dark Rider. Maybe he just names everything he owns Dark "__" . Well with the customization feature and that name, maybe we can get a ghost rider type skin
Rouge : Lip Spyder. Cute reference to a real life brand of car, her car looks like. Could have been bat spyder but I guess its either lipstick or the fact that the front of her car sticks out due to the heart shape.
Omega: Cross Dozer .... I don't get it but ok. I guess like motocross plus bulldozer? But that doesn't make any sense because the technique cars are the ones who can go on dirt. But I geuss like with knuckles's car the theme is being big and tough even though... they can't drive off road.

Amy: Pink Cabriolet. Pink Convertible.... that's uh... that's real imaginative.
Chao: Chao Pod..... Amy's team bastion of creativity.
Big: Frog Cruiser.... well it was either a froggy or a fishing reference.

Vector: Beat Monster. Sick name for a car, probably listened to cool music in his cool car
Silver: Lighttron. Unless I'm missing some lore. I assume because its glowing and looks like something from tron.
Blaze: Royal Chariot. She's a princess, fancy car. Make sense.

Eggman: Egg Booster. Kinda makes it sound like a giant metal booster seat.
Metal: Formula M. Because he's metal.
Zavok:Road Dragoon....I don't know man. Dudes barely a character. Dragons it is I guess.
Some of these might be different over here. I distinctly recall hearing that Vector's car name was the Tailgator over here.

Are we sure there are multiple speeds? Has it been confirmed? I sure hope so...
Yeah it was confirmed. I believe the higher speeds were even playable at events because I remember people discussing it a lot. Well, that and how the framerate was not looking too hot.

Oct 28, 2017
A look at the Windows 9X port of Sonic 3K;

(Link to Sega PC Reloaded - definitely recommend to use it if you feel like trying the port)

You can also experiment with MIDI soft synths (or hardware synths if your audio interface has a MIDI out port) such as VirtualMIDISynth with a SF2 soundfont to get a different sort of sound signature with the GM music. I found that a bunch of tracks paired super well with the Arachno Soundfont, along with some that sounded odd or bad.

Examples:
Flying Battery Act 2
Special Stage
Balloon Park

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Oops, forgot to include the video:

I don't know how I endured that bonus stage music :/

Oh im aware

That's it. I didn't think much of it then , i don't think much it now did nothing as far as characterization went.

It would be like zeena having a snow car, i get it.... I just got nothing to say

At least he has one of the prettiest level on Sonic Lost World with top tier music as well

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Oh im aware

I mean, if Shadow gets brownie points from "dark" in the name, we at least get to give Zavok some credit for consistently being a scalie.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how I endured that bonus stage music :/

At least he has one of the prettiest level on Sonic Lost World with top tier music as well

I think the level looks ok

As far as the music goes, I can talk a lot of shit about lost world.... a lot.

The music is neat

I mean, if Shadow gets brownie points from "dark" in the name, we at least get to give Zavok some credit for consistently being a scalie.
Its less brownie points and more I think that shit is goofy and halarious, you know what you right. I shouldn't kink shame zavok

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
The concept of the stage where dragon dance plays in lost world is one of those things that would be top notch if it were in say a modern rayman or DKC game.
Unfortunately it was in Lost World so the execution was off and you get sudden moments of death, inconsistent telegraphing and all that.
Story of Lost World's life, neat ideas, middling execution.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Sky Road Act 2 was the one stage I liked replaying similarly to how to I would for my favorites in Unleashed/Colors/Generations. But yeah, it still suffers from the same enervating level design as the rest of Lost World.