• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
This honestly kinda makes me want to give Lost World another whirl.
The guy I originally wrote all that up for had about the same reaction, so you're not alone there. I get why it got the reception it did, and if I'd played it at release I doubt I would've thought much of it either. It feels like the experimental, fresh new take that should've come after a disaster like Forces, not before, and keeping everything else about the two games the same, I think it'd be much better regarded today if you just flipped their release dates.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Is there a comic release schedule. Doesnt appear to be monthly

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Sciz makes me feel less insane for having the impression that they really did try with Lost World, they just weren't good enough nor had enough time to pull it off.

I feel like the Sonic Era lost world defender, where my defense is like "gee whiz, that's one heck of a 6/10!"

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Sciz makes me feel less insane for having the impression that they really did try with Lost World, they just weren't good enough nor had enough time to pull it off.

I can definitely get down to the idea that Lost World suffered the way it did due to being hurried along. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried throwing out lots of ideas, prototyped most of them, and then had to build them all into a single game in order to make sure it was long enough rather than pare it down and build up those ideas.

Like, I don't out-and-out hate it, and the focus in Generations being almost entirely on polishing what already existed rather than doing any new innovation showed that they had to keep going with a game like that one, but it's still something that's frustratingly close to really cool and just having a few more rounds of editing it down and rebalancing would have probably gotten it where I'd be really happy with it.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I hate Lost World's controls (on Wii U/PC, 3DS controls a lot better), but I will grant they were going for something, and probably didn't have the time or budget to really pull it off. The Extra world seems like evidence of that. Like they clearly wanted to include the Tornado sequence, for example, but couldn't work out a good place to jam it into the game.

They so totally missed the point of parkour mechanics, though. And rather than make it better in Forces, they just threw it out.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017

I feel like the Sonic Era lost world defender, where my defense is like "gee whiz, that's one heck of a 6/10!"
That's a fair summation. It's a messy game that's short on polish in key areas and generally lacks focus, but there's enough that goes right that I could never really get mad at it.

Oct 27, 2017
I just got a sponsored ad on facebook for a mobile version of Team Sonic Racing, and apparently a new Chu Chu Rocket too.

image0.png

image0.png

Clicking on the download button just leads to SEGA's publishing page on the app store but has no mention of these games, and the facebook pages were set up yesterday.

Has anyone heard about these? I guess they're coming real soon

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
In a way all this time I've been surprised a mobile port/follow-up to CCR hadn't been done. There is an odd part of me that would rather see it on Switch but it's definitely a game well-suited to a touch interface specifically.

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why Sega didn't just maintain the old version of Chu Chu Rocket. I can still download it from the Humble Bundle I got it from and it works fine on my Samsung Galaxy Tab A I just got for Christmas

Meanwhile the version of Sonic 4 I got from that same bundle won't even launch anymore because it claims I don't own the game (???)

Oct 28, 2017
I'm guessing those of us who bought the original would have to buy it again.

It does feel like post-release support for SEGAs mobile games are pretty lacking; the original version of Sonic Runners is dead aside from a fan server I think? Then you have the SEGA Forever stuff bringing in a cavalcade of issues (performance, always online DRM and apparent overzealous telemetry, plus IIRC the Taxman ports are a bit broken now).

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
IIRC the Taxman ports are a bit broken now

The one thing that doesn't seem to be working is the online content in Sonic 2. Sonic 1 I haven't tried in a little while but worked just fine the last time I did (maybe... 4-5 months ago at most), but only the ad-supported version of Sonic 2 seems to have working multiplayer. Honestly, the multiplayer aspect is something I'd really like to see in a port to PC, consoles, etc.; it's almost tragic that it's stuck to mobile and the netcode is, what, on the order of 5 years old or more? And on a platform known for standards that are almost constantly in flux.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
I can't even load the Taxman port of Sonic 2. Sucks that Sega doesn't bring actually good mobile games like that on a device that is actually reliable.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Ken Pender really believes he's why people were buying sonic comic's huh

Last edited:

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
He had a whole Twitter exchange with someone where he thinks that without his world building and Original the Characters in the stories nobody would've picked up the series.

I don't want to link it because he doesn't deserve more attention for his insanity, but he came to the conclusion that the games were too expensive to justify the comics being popular for any other reason (like Sonic being a cultural icon at the time).

Oct 27, 2017
He had a whole Twitter exchange with someone where he thinks that without his world building and Original the Characters in the stories nobody would've picked up the series.

I don't want to link it because he doesn't deserve more attention for his insanity, but he came to the conclusion that the games were too expensive to justify the comics being popular for any other reason (like Sonic being a cultural icon at the time).
Anytime I see one of those Ken Penders comics the only thought that goes though my mind is: I've drawn better Sonic comics as a 13 year old than this guy used to do professionally . Why is life so unfair.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
he exists perpetutally about to publish a comic with his knuckles spin off characters and getting into arguments with actual comic book industry people

Is he actually still going through with the Lara-Su Chronicles?

Anyway as for the IDW comic itself it's good but it lacks the worldbuilding and rogues gallery of the last comic, which on one hand it's only been 13 issues, but on the other hand please stop throwing Rough & Tumble at Sonic all the time.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Is he actually still going through with the Lara-Su Chronicles?

Anyway as for the IDW comic itself it's good but it lacks the worldbuilding and rogues gallery of the last comic, which on one hand it's only been 13 issues, but on the other hand please stop throwing Rough & Tumble at Sonic all the time.
He says he is

Whether that's true or not time will tell

As for Rouge and Tumble, I like them and have only really been used twice. I think you will get more bad guys as time goes on. And if characters get their own miniseries which seems like that is gonna happen more personal ones too

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He says he is

Whether that's true or not time will tell

As for Rouge and Tumble, I like them and have only really been used twice. I think you will get more bad guys as time goes on. And if characters get their own miniseries which seems like that is gonna happen more personal ones too

They're showing up again in issue #15 and repeatedly over the course of the series post their fight with Sonic and Knuckles. It's not like they're particularly interesting, they're just mooks. Even Dr. Starline just ended up an Eggman fanboy, and with Metal Sonic now every villain till now is under Eggman's thumb.

As for spinoffs I'm actually really looking forward to the Tangle & Whisper mini since I feel they've been the highlight of the comic thus far.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
They're showing up again in issue #15 and repeatedly over the course of the series post their fight with Sonic and Knuckles. It's not like they're particularly interesting, they're just mooks. Even Dr. Starline just ended up an Eggman fanboy, and with Metal Sonic now every villain till now is under Eggman's thumb.

As for spinoffs I'm actually really looking forward to the Tangle & Whisper mini since I feel they've been the highlight of the comic thus far.
We will see, sometimes covers lie with this book.

As for them as a characters I like them being lackeys'... we don't get that with sonic often. Folks are either good guys who turn, are tricking eggman , or they die. Heck my favorite character qualifies for all three of those technically. So having a not super villian level couple of goons is neat

And starline... I think you all are judging too soon , I get the idea he's an agent of chaos... and as soon as eggman ceases to be interesting , he's out .

Metal sonic is disappointing for a myriad reasons , but sega has decided metal sonic is dumb and only a servant so... ain't much you can do.

I'm ok on the tangle and whisper thing, its whatever. I'm just interested in the game focused character miniseries sure to come after that. Tangle and whisper hasn't really left that much of an impression on me. I don't hate them.. they are just fine

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Starline screams of being Snivley 2.0. Disillusionment is setting in fast, and the backstabbing won't be far behind.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Re introduction of robotocizing is neat imo.
Its interesting because as far as I know, robotization has never actually been a thing. Its always been using animals for batteries. So its neat that they are doing this , and by way of extra skins from sonic heroes.

However the interesting way they are doing this is by virus. There is a plot detail that if Ian remembers, He will receive all of my cool points

the_memer_21

Feb 9, 2019
I just think that at the point at which the franchise is "aggresively mediocre" just doesn't cut it anymore. It seemed that after the atrocity that was 06 they were definitely trying to steer the franchise in a better direction, and you could see the improvements going from Unleashed, to Colors, to Generations.

And then Lost World happened, at first it seemed like a blunder because we had just come off of two great games and a good one, but then (ignoring that Boom was even a thing) Forces came out and it was just as mediocre as Lost World. And its just disappointing to see that Sonic, aside from Mania, just can't seem to catch a break.

Hopefully with Mania's success, and with Forces poor reception they are able to realize that they cannot half-ass it anymore. Because I think that the next game is the one that will make or break Sonic in a lot of peoples eyes.

I would agree with you, but I think the franchise will still continue, even if the next game isn't well-received.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you cant see it on the graph but right below that there's "Playing Metal Harbor and trying not to wake up everyone in the house"

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for impressions to start leaking! Time to see if this movie'll have legs!
Rumor, if there are early screenings there's a good chance some of the movie still isn't done. If its true, we will get them. And if it isn't, well we are gonna get a trailer in like a month and some change so its whatever