• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I want the first trailer for the movie so bad.

I also want to see publicity photos of Jim Carey Robotnik in full costume.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
The will smith geenie movie has my expectations so low to the floor in terms of live action interpretations of things I like this year. There's no one way.... well there are several ways the sonic movie could disappoint me more. If they make a " Blue lives Matter joke " my body will quite literally dissapear from reality because I don't think I will be able to take it. I will be thanos snapped into ether dust. So there are plenty of ways films and trailers of the sonic film can go wrong.

But on a base line animation level. Given the studio is the one who made the shadow the hedgehog intro cutscene, I trust them to at least have sonic's head match his body.

So on a baseline level, by nature of existing, sonic is already not the worst looking animated movie thing this year because of alladin

Rurouni

Dec 25, 2017
Seeing the recent numbers for the Crash Trilogy makes me wish 3D Sonic had similar success nowadays.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I wish Sonic got into Project X Zone.
Honestly? I am kind of happy he did not. Sonic stuff and Sonic Team in general ALWAYS gets far more exposure than every other SEGA IP in crossovers. It is to the point where loads of gamers out there legitimately think stuff like Billy Hatcher (huge failure) and NiGHTS (severely niche) are some of SEGA's biggest and most notable IPs when they are pretty much the reverse of that.

PXZ1 had kinda bad choices but 2 had a great cast for every company involved. Avoiding obvious additions like Sonic and Pac-Man ended up exposing potential fans to some really unique characters and franchises.

I would have been all for him finally showing up in Project X Zone 3, but I heard that the main people behind the series left Bandai Namco.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly? I am kind of happy he did not. Sonic stuff and Sonic Team in general ALWAYS gets far more exposure than every other SEGA IP in crossovers. It is to the point where loads of gamers out there legitimately think stuff like Billy Hatcher (huge failure) and NiGHTS (severely niche) are some of SEGA's biggest and most notable IPs when they are pretty much the reverse of that.

PXZ1 had kinda bad choices but 2 had a great cast for every company involved. Avoiding obvious additions like Sonic and Pac-Man ended up exposing potential fans to some really unique characters and franchises.

I would have been all for him finally showing up in Project X Zone 3, but I heard that the main people behind the series left Bandai Namco.
Hmm I see what you're saying. However, I personally wanted to see Rouge the Bat with the glorious animation these games tend to have.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
These are kinda cute but I don't really see the point.

It's just an extension of what they did with the plushies and puppets. Cheap(ish) social network content to keep people engaged and happy.

I really hope the Mania Train doesn't taper off into nothing. Or worse, the current "Sonic Team" says "We'll be making Mania 2 ourselves!"

Cogniferous

Oct 27, 2017
England
I've built this narrative in my head of the Sonic Team having no clue how to make a good Sonic game any more, letting some small indie team make Sonic Mania and being totally baffled by it being more popular and successful than Sonic Forces.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
You guys might like this! Damn Twitter issues added some weird purple bulbs to it, but most of it is fine. I did the lineart (on paper - I have no digital art stuff) and my friend colored it in.

And here is the image for those of you who cannot see Twitter.

Looking for some constructive criticism or just general comments and feedback. I used to be an artist but gave it up for a bit over a decade. I have started up again and intend to draw more stuff soon (probably not Sonic stuff for awhile tho).

Last edited:

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I've gone back to playing Lost World for a bit. I'd only S-ranked a couple stages the last time I went around with it and I have a compulsion to feed

First of all, if you haven't touched the PC version in a while you'll probably need to mess around with Steam's controller settings, and make sure that they are set to ON for the game (at the bottom of the first tab when you select the game's properties from right-click). I didn't realize what was going on until I saw the pinned discussion mentioning Steam Controller support and it finally dawned on me.

Turns out the reason I've hated the game is that I've been playing it all wrong all this time! What I should have been doing was basically using the spin dash at all times, and taking advantage of the drop-dash effect that triggers after a jump. I was always wondering why the times for S-ranking most stages was so hard to reach -- turns out the trick is to always be dashing. It does make the game more fun overall, but I imagine a lot of the stages that are filled with lots of instakill traps like Lava Mountain 2 will continue to sour my opinion on the game overall

Cogniferous

Oct 27, 2017
England
I keep meaning to go back to Lost World. I enjoyed it more than most and wish they had built on this style of game over Forces. Yes, bits of it are annoying but the art style hides a multitude of sins and the multi-lock homing attack is a joy when it works. I've no love for the Deadly Six as characters but the boss fights were fine.

I've got this on PC, it'll be worth a bash.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm probably going to try to finish Lost World with the physics mod, but every time I've tried to play it before, it's a drag. They managed to make Sonic levels feel slower than half-hour Werehog levels.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman

giphy.gif

A shame it is such a nice track otherwise

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If I were to be real for a second...as much as I hate the idea of a Werewolf Hedgehog and think it was SEGA's weird attempt at cashing in on the Twilight fame, I think if they actually just scrapped the beat-em-up segments entirely and made it only about platforming, it would've been solid.

The bad parts end up 95% being the beat-em-up segments with their repetitive nature, poor mechanics, and cheaply designed enemies that are just a nightmare and unfun. The platforming? Enjoyable enough. Not perfect, but wasn't offensive.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
In that case, it should've been Sonic & Knuckles 2: Knuckles stages become the night stages while Sonic's are day stages.
They could come up with a reason that they found a mcguffin that released Gaia and it has to have a host in it. So Sonic and Knuckles alternate being in the mcguffin while the other does their respective stages.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Empire City was pretty evil and it definitely felt like it was one of the first night stages to be built with how spartan the decor was and how markedly un-physical the level layout felt. (Like, at least my first time through I actually enjoyed most of the night stages over the day stuff because it was easier to play a slower-paced game like that on the TV I was using and it wasn't filled with lots of QTE-style segments.) Most of the other night stages had a sense of being in a real physical space, but that one was very much of the "floating platforms over nothing" school of level design.

On the other hand something like Cool Edge felt like it was less contrived and still had plenty of interesting platforming segments. I was a big fan of that one.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Ooh yeah, that last segment at the end was pretty fiddly now that I think about it. Very easy to jump off the ice slopes and just miss either the stalactites or the platforms past them. Sometimes it was possible to conserve momentum and get all the way to the platform, but it was a crapshoot and I definitely remember those being clench moments on the chili dog runs. (Still not as bad as the furnace areas in Eggmanland though, woof -- can't believe I did the full clear of it not once, but twice due to losing my saves)

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never forgive werehog for wearing cleats and still controlling like he's got sticks of butter taped to his feet

Cogniferous

Oct 27, 2017
England
I might want to play Lost World again but if I never play Unleashed it'll be too soon. Yes the daytime levels are better than the night time ones but even then they stop being good half way and just become a slog. Only '06 has made me more frustrated to be playing a Sonic game.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
The night levels in Unleashed have flashes of above average (and sometimes great!) segments but the vast majority of them feel like a slog. They are just too long and obnoxious to be all that fun. Especially some of those glitchy or especially unpolished platforming segments that could easily cause you to ruin your rank or fail a hotdog mission.

I recall there was an interview around the time the game came out where they stated that the physical length of the werehog acts were meant to be the exact size of the day acts. That is SUCH a Sonic Team thing to do!

OP
OP
Professor Beef

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
all this werehog talk is making me want to watch the game grumps run of it again

oh my fuck how did i forget about this

i sure hope there are no jazz bands waiting around here

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I have an interest in playing Sonic R, anyone played it recently? I see it released on pc so how is that compared to saturn.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Retro's wiki has a good writeup of the version differences, but the big ones are that the PC version has time of day and weather options, and it's significantly nicer in just about every regard from a technical perspective.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
There's also a pretty new mod that restores the colored lighting to the hardware-rendered mode of the PC version. It's slick. If I wasn't on my phone I'd link it.

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to do a video on the Saturn color restoration like I did with my Sonic Adventure DX color restoration but then I got sick and I haven't been able to summon the motivation to resume progress on the script

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
There's a link to it on the mod page, but the mod author's notes on what the mod does includes a few comparison screenshots and notes about what the distinction actually is in more practical terms. Another interesting modification (since the patch mostly just replaces one set of D3D texture initialization calls with other ones) included in the patch is that Radiant Emerald once again has translucent polygons like in the Saturn (though the trippy rainbow color effect still happens)

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I decided to play Sonic Rush Adventure today for god knows what reason

Holy fuck I forgot how good that Sky Babylon Act 1 theme is

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California