• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I'm surprised at Zavok(?) over the Sonic Forces main villain. I legit forgot his name, sorry Sonic fandom. I guess the cartoon was popular?
The Deadly Six are still active in the spin offs and mobile games, and it seems like they're ready to bury Forces like they did with 06. We'll probably never see Infinite again.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
The Deadly Six are still active in the spin offs and mobile games, and it seems like they're ready to bury Forces like they did with 06. We'll probably never see Infinite again.
I don't think forces is getting buried, they are allowing forces to be the framework in which the new comic is based around. They just cant reference infinite. So I think they are just gonna bury ininfite. I think the setting of mostly animal world with original animal characters is gonna stick around for a bit. That was genuinely a good idea and people seem to pretty warm to it. IIRC the CaC , shadow ( other characters ) being playable , part of the soundtrack, and the idea of a non eggman villian is what went over well from that game. And I think those elements will stick around

Infinite might be omega dead though

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I don't think forces is getting buried, they are allowing forces to be the framework in which the new comic is based around. They just cant reference infinite. So I think they are just gonna bury ininfite.
They're very cagey about Forces in the comic itself. Nothing about the events of the game has directly been referenced and the framework was promptly abandoned by Knuckles just saying "okay that's done bye", and it's probably more that there was a mandate that the comic tie into it before it was known what the reception of the game was going to be.

Hell, the first major arc was actually a Heroes tie-in, which says a lot about how they felt about referencing the story there.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
They're very cagey about Forces in the comic itself. Nothing about the events of the game has directly been referenced and the framework was promptly abandoned by Knuckles just saying "okay that's done bye", and it's probably more that there was a mandate that the comic tie into it before it was known what the reception of the game was going to be.

Hell, the first major arc was actually a Heroes tie-in, which says a lot about how they felt about referencing the story there.
Amy is still referencing it though, infact her comic has her going to one of the holds during the whole forces thing and extracting data from it. Then you have whisper and tangle, and the former has some story that's gonna get told that has mostly to do with that time period.

Though I do agree , in some cases they have avoided it. Everyone kinda just bounced and they didn't touch the " Hey where did shadow go " story with a 10 foot pole, the phantom ruby cubes around Amnesiac eggman's head as of currently meant nothing , and they already sort of moved on from that story.

And while some of those could and very might well be mandates from sega, I also think its just Flynn realizing forces as a story thing is better framework for a setting rather than a story itself. Its a plot where the plot is basically non existence, things just happen and everyone looks bad to push a villain that does... nothing to actually make himself threatening in any regard . Whole invasions happen in a black box, and there are still crazy undefined things. And he could attempt to define those, but the game isn't really liked in the first place so why not just move on if you can't really get anything narratively out of that.

But to be fair to you this could be some form of sega forcing his hand, because its very clear the story changed in he first year of the comic , and there are certain characters that do not reference the resistance in any regard and then the resistance just dissolves.

I dunno I just don't feel like, forces is gone. Just infinite.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
I'll never get the hate for Lost World, I loved it on the Wii U and more so on PC, great setting/aesthetics with more platforming than boosting all the time made it better than most of 3D Sonic titles to me.

OT but I'm going through Unleashed these days thanks to XBO BC and boy those Werehog levels are something else. Now I remember why I dropped it back then on PS3. Like, I don't mind the Werehog, but the combat is dreadful, and there's SO MUCH of it in every level, and every one of these levels takes so damn long. Ugh.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I'll never get the hate for Lost World, I loved it on the Wii U and more so on PC, great setting/aesthetics with more platforming than boosting all the time made it better than most of 3D Sonic titles to me.

OT but I'm going through Unleashed these days thanks to XBO BC and boy those Werehog levels are something else. Now I remember why I dropped it back then on PS3. Like, I don't mind the Werehog, but the combat is dreadful, and there's SO MUCH of it in every level, and every one of these levels takes so damn long. Ugh.
wait, let me help you paint a proper picture

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
And some other beaky dude, someone throw me some comic fodder, cheers
gotchu covered

Harvey_Who_profile.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I would genuinely enjoy the hell out of Unleashed if a PC version came out and someone modded the Werehog levels to:

1. Not play that god damn battle music every 8 seconds
2. Have Werehog Sonic's Strength fully upgraded (or at least half upgraded) from the start
3. Just cut those nonsense button/box/locked door "puzzles"

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
So, I'm assuming Team Sonic Racing is just not going to be available for pre-order at all? It's a shame, I wanted some avatars.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a great fucking song but it plays that much because the enemy encounters in Werehog stages are dumb

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
1. Not play that god damn battle music every 8 seconds
2. Have Werehog Sonic's Strength fully upgraded (or at least half upgraded) from the start
3. Just cut those nonsense button/box/locked door "puzzles"

People look at me like a weirdo when I say that the Wii version's night stages are superior but they are by this standard. They're not totally devoid of box puzzles but the ones that are there are more clever and involved than just pushing one box onto a switch.

Oct 25, 2017
So for the past two weeks or so I've finally stopped being a lazy ass and worked for multiple hours on end sessions on this Sonic Adventure video I talked about writing on here almost a year ago lol. Happy to receive feedback:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Will watch soon but IMO Sonic Adventure 1>2.
2 is 1/3s a good game at the least, while SA1 has that ambitious feel for a 3d platformer game of the 90s.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I still can't get over how stiffly Sonic and Shadow controlled (I mean, I didn't like it with Tails or Eggman either but at least they had a diagetic motivation for being heavy and clunky) compared to SA1. For me a huge portion of why I think SA1 is underappreciated comes down to the sheer amount of fun you can have screwing around with the overpowered spin dash. Almost everything I dislike in Sonic/Shadow stuff comes down to mechanical changes whose primary motivation for existence seems to be nerfing the dash. (I will go to my grave decrying the existence of the narrow gaps requiring you to do a slide/somersault. In the good old days, tubes and gaps like that would automatically put you into a roll, not force you to a standstill...)

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Copy paste from the TSR hype check thread:

https://joshinweb.jp/game/teamsonic.html?ACK=JMMGH

New gameplay and screenshots in this article. The player sucks but gameplay of hidden volcano:

Screenshots include customization, hidden volcano, market street, wisp circuit, roulette road, whale lagoon, lost palace, the story mode and split screen.

Final Fortress is confirmed from this screenshot :

image.thumb.png.3cb0996745d538f0d20825f61c30a6fe.png

You can see Final Fortress to the right. Hoping really hard for an Egg Fleet track in there.

Honestly, this would be worth an entire thread if era didnt dislike Sonic so much.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Sami a really great video mate, and Imo you touched on some good points on the pros and cons of Sonic Adventure 1.
IMHO, I'd turn Big's 'stages' instead into a visual novel. One thing that's neat about SA1 is how each character's route, other than Sonic's, feels as an 'alternative look' at the game's plot and events. A side story that contemplates and expands on the game aside from what players see from Sonic's PoV. Think something akin to PS3's Folklore where the 2 characers's stages has them not directly meet but 'interact' in a way.
In the case of Big and why I'd turn it into a visual novel kind of thing, it'd be Big merely reflecting on the events of the game from his PoV while he searches for Froggy. Yeah it sounds pretty superfluous, but if you can't make fishing as a main gameplay system any better, but you need to keep Big, may as well make use of him somehow :V
His fishing stages could stay in as a sort of side mini game that you could play as any of the characters with.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
So for the past two weeks or so I've finally stopped being a lazy ass and worked for multiple hours on end sessions on this Sonic Adventure video I talked about writing on here almost a year ago lol. Happy to receive feedback:
Didn't mean to watch through the whole thing in a single go, but then I did, so you're doing something right here. Always fun to hear someone just go and be passionate about something they love for a while.

Oct 25, 2017
Sami a really great video mate, and Imo you touched on some good points on the pros and cons of Sonic Adventure 1.
IMHO, I'd turn Big's 'stages' instead into a visual novel. One thing that's neat about SA1 is how each character's route, other than Sonic's, feels as an 'alternative look' at the game's plot and events. A side story that contemplates and expands on the game aside from what players see from Sonic's PoV. Think something akin to PS3's Folklore where the 2 characers's stages has them not directly meet but 'interact' in a way.
In the case of Big and why I'd turn it into a visual novel kind of thing, it'd be Big merely reflecting on the events of the game from his PoV while he searches for Froggy. Yeah it sounds pretty superfluous, but if you can't make fishing as a main gameplay system any better, but you need to keep Big, may as well make use of him somehow :V
His fishing stages could stay in as a sort of side mini game that you could play as any of the characters with.
I like this idea! I'd be super down for them to take a lot of liberties with him if they remade it honestly.

Didn't mean to watch through the whole thing in a single go, but then I did, so you're doing something right here. Always fun to hear someone just go and be passionate about something they love for a while.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
see, i hate that they're burying Infinite, he's dumb as rocks but that's the silly I signed up for when interacting with anything Sonic.

And while I like Forces on its own, I dislike that we no longer have humans around on the regular because of it.

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain the hatred for Zavok and his goons? I'm not even a fan of LW, just honestly curious. They're at worst, the multi-colored villains of the week I suppose. But the hate I see for them on here is really really passionate. I personally have a bigger issue with the screeching multicolored eyesores that are villain groups like the Bowser kids or the Broodals from Odyssey.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I actually see it as a very cold, detached loathing. Zavok and the Deadly Six are transparently a Bowser-like group, but worse. One note, boring, generic knockoffs. They should have been one-hit blunders, binned immediately.

Any sort of "passion" in the hatred for them is likely just annoyance that they keep existing for some reason.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
The worst thing about them is that not only are they one-note, they're not one note in a way that makes them interesting as villains. Like, Captain Planet had one-dimensional villains but at least they were villains who were villainous in (relatively) compelling ways.

I recall reading somewhere that they were supposed to be based on 6 of the 7 deadly sins, which I guess means "fat", "depressed", "girl", and "I KNOW KUNG FU" were sins

Oct 25, 2017
I actually see it as a very cold, detached loathing. Zavok and the Deadly Six are transparently a Bowser-like group, but worse. One note, boring, generic knockoffs. They should have been one-hit blunders, binned immediately.

Any sort of "passion" in the hatred for them is likely just annoyance that they keep existing for some reason.
Yeah this is pretty much how I feel. Also their designs are bad

Oct 28, 2017
I thought the Deadly Six were just all right. What got my attention the most was that most of their cutscenes took place in a barely detailed room which would later prove to be a sign of things to come for the franchise's budget.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
People look at me like a weirdo when I say that the Wii version's night stages are superior but they are by this standard. They're not totally devoid of box puzzles but the ones that are there are more clever and involved than just pushing one box onto a switch.
What? Nope. The Wii version has 3 night stages for every day stage, and it increases to 4:1 in Adabat and 5:1 in Eggmanland. The Wiirhog is a Nightmare.

The final boss is much better in the Wii version though.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
So Ian flynn on a recent bumblekast said somethings that may make some people who are not fond of the comic a bit more concerned than you alread are and something else that concerns me, potentially at least.

For all those who fear the book was becoming more formulaic, according to flynn the book is gonna stay that way for a while. And while he doesn't say outright , how he phrases it sounds as though due to powers above him, it kind of has to.

The thing that makes me a bit scared, when asked for individual character books, this was met with a maybe but a not sure. Now , while they could just be him being coy because he can't openly discuss anything yet and those are on the way. I have been in scenario's before even back in archie with the megaman books where an editor or somoene wishesto push thier own characters over the ones from the franchise using that as a barometer for popularity rather than... the characters people like. And it would really suck if that tangle and whisper mini series did poorly and then IDW decided individual character books aren't the way to go because of two characters no one barely knows anything about. Again, this could be nothing, but I am concerned

This is about it.

I would actually say I don't feel like they are bowser-like knock offs. Even though Zavok is really supposed to envoke bowser. I feel as though they are unfinished first drafts of characters from a pixar/disney animation film. Like before they went over and over to make the designs and characters good, they are the first go around.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
What? Nope. The Wii version has 3 night stages for every day stage, and it increases to 4:1 in Adabat and 5:1 in Eggmanland. The Wiirhog is a Nightmare.

Sure, they have more stages, but they're also way (way) shorter than the stages in the HD version. Any given set together takes up less time than any main night-stage act in the HD version except for possibly Adabat due to how short that one was cut.

Rlan

Oct 27, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand
The problem with the Deadly Six (and Infinite) is that their existance isn't resolved in their own games. In Lost World you fight them all, beat Zavok in a boss battle, and then they completely disappear for the rest of the cutscenes, leaving it to an Eggman boss. Infinite also just gets disappeared at the end of Forces and has nothing to do with the resulting finale.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
The Deadly Six would be better remembered if Lost World itself were a better and less divisive game, even if they themselves didn't improve any. There's a lot of residual resentment there.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no

Yup. They're generic, but for some reason SEGA is intent on pushing them, or at least Zavok. TSR removing the SEGA crossover aspect & then adding Zavok as a newcomer when the game's losing characters like Ulala & BD Joe feeds into genuine resentment, though. I was using Zavok as a point against TSR vs. CTR, but then CTR had the bright idea to bring back Zem & Zam.

At the end of the day, though, it just feels like SEGA wanted to make generic villains they gave up on part of the way through. They have no redeeming qualities.

I ' v e b e e n d r e a m i n g o f p o u n d i n g h i s s o r r y b l u e b u t t

*Almost no redeeming qualities.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
The Deadly Six would be better remembered if Lost World itself were a better and less divisive game, even if they themselves didn't improve any. There's a lot of residual resentment there.

I still say that Zazz and Zavok are actually the Poochy of the series, in that they're supposed to be sort of cool but miss the mark so completely. Like, Shadow in comparison may as well be on the level of Vegeta in terms of how successful a rival anti-hero archetype they manage to get into his characterization. Zazz and Zavok just keep showing up and all the time I hear their fucking dumb voice overs in the various Lost World stages I'm like "oh come on, where the hell is Zazz/Zavok?"

Oct 28, 2017
My deep dark secret is that I gave up on Lost World once I reached the snow ball boss and got a game over because I had no idea whatsoever about what I had to do.

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
You know what? Give me a Mephiles + Infinite combo Sonic Team. I want them together bothering Shadow through an entire game just for the lolz.

In all seriousness, I don't know why Sonic Team is pushing for Zavok when nobody cares for the guy. I would have preferred Infinite on the game, specially considering he just vanishes at the end of Forces. It feels like the last part of that game is actually missing.