• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Ben Schwartz works for me.

The rest of this feels like something Brenden Fraser would've been cast in fifteen years ago, for better or worse.

Cogniferous

Oct 27, 2017
England
I'm all over the place on this. My first reaction was disgust at the design but my kids liked it and laughed at the trailer. I've watched it a few more times since and I've mellowed quite a lot. It's not my Sonic but it'll be a lot of kids first taste. It's basically an origin movie.

Also Robotnik has an Egg-mobile of sorts, which is rad.

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope

please for the love of god

please

That Sonic Team ISN'T wasting their time on a tie-in game. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.

they totally are :'(

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Nah. I very much doubt they'd want a console tie-in game to this thing. There might be a mobile tie-in tho. That would make a lot of Sonic mobile games tho : sonic racing mobile, sonic at the olympics mobile and sonic the movie mobile for around the same period.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017

Surprised I have not seen this interview posted around yet. I enjoyed how straightforward and honest it was.

So for the past two weeks or so I've finally stopped being a lazy ass and worked for multiple hours on end sessions on this Sonic Adventure video I talked about writing on here almost a year ago lol. Happy to receive feedback:

Good video! A lot of passion went into this! I loved the part where you mentioned that the dialog between characters is changed depending on the one you are currently playing, I felt that was an especially underrated aspect of the game's storytelling. I also think you have a very clear speaking voice and had a lot of great writing in your script to boot. You certainly did a better job than I would do on those fronts, hah.

I was expecting you to go more in depth with the development and mention stuff like how it was originally designed for the Saturn or how pre-release footage was at a much slower speed (which would explain why the final game is so 'twitchy'). Although I share pretty much your exact feelings on the game I think it would have helped your video to focus on the odd things Sonic Team focused on in development rather than mostly just DX shitting up it's legacy (even though that is the biggest reason people feel the way that they do). Stuff like the characters having moving eyes and heads that track points of interest were insane for the time, but animating the teeth and tongues (something still not really done in today's games) on top of it was a clearly poor choice that only made the game look weirder. It is also pretty clear to me personally that tons of content was scrapped very late in development too, like how it seems like Amy's zones were designed around stealth but they just gave up.

And this is not a nitpick of your video, but I just find the hate Big's levels get to be kinda outrageous. Yeah, his gameplay sucks and does not suit any Sonic game, but unless you are going for all of the emblems all but one of his levels start with Froggy literally right in front of you. If his story was just an optional extra and not part of what you need to unlock the Super Sonic story I wonder if many people would even complain about him honestly.

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone is trying to dwell longer than they can help.

I'm actually impressed with how bad it all was.

Lot of failures happened to make this film happen and i'm kinda impressed

It's honestly impressive the failure on every level of decision making that had to happen for that trailer to turn out the way it did. Producers, marketing directors, managers, etc. ALL had to sign off on this.

Oct 25, 2017

Surprised I have not seen this interview posted around yet. I enjoyed how straightforward and honest it was.

Good video! A lot of passion went into this! I loved the part where you mentioned that the dialog between characters is changed depending on the one you are currently playing, I felt that was an especially underrated aspect of the game's storytelling. I also think you have a very clear speaking voice and had a lot of great writing in your script to boot. You certainly did a better job than I would do on those fronts, hah.

I was expecting you to go more in depth with the development and mention stuff like how it was originally designed for the Saturn or how pre-release footage was at a much slower speed (which would explain why the final game is so 'twitchy'). Although I share pretty much your exact feelings on the game I think it would have helped your video to focus on the odd things Sonic Team focused on in development rather than mostly just DX shitting up it's legacy (even though that is the biggest reason people feel the way that they do). Stuff like the characters having moving eyes and heads that track points of interest were insane for the time, but animating the teeth and tongues (something still not really done in today's games) on top of it was a clearly poor choice that only made the game look weirder. It is also pretty clear to me personally that tons of content was scrapped very late in development too, like how it seems like Amy's zones were designed around stealth but they just gave up.

And this is not a nitpick of your video, but I just find the hate Big's levels get to be kinda outrageous. Yeah, his gameplay sucks and does not suit any Sonic game, but unless you are going for all of the emblems all but one of his levels start with Froggy literally right in front of you. If his story was just an optional extra and not part of what you need to unlock the Super Sonic story I wonder if many people would even complain about him honestly.

Thank you for the feedback! Yeah, now that it's finally done I definitely see some of the stuff I could have focused on better with my script. I definitely got a little carried away at some points and by the time I actually started turning it into a video (about two weeks ago) I really just wanted to get it done before losing steam again.

I actually have some early thoughts about another, far more out there idea for a Sonic Adventure video essay that I've never seen anyone cover before so we'll see where that goes. :)

As far as Big goes I agree. I think it would have been great to have him be a secret unlockable side story or something, just as a gag for the people who went out of there way to find him.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm goin to be so mad if I end up respecting Adventure 1 after watching Sami's video.
You don't already?
3nFhEn3.png

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I legit like the Sonic and Tails section of SA 1. Yeah they can be sloppy, but they're also a lot of fun. Knuckles... varies by stage. I like his sections well enough overall. Amy is boring. Gamma is a lesser version of SA 2's run and gun sections which were already too simple for my liking. Big is just WHY. WHY IS FISHING IN A SONIC GAME.