• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 25140

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That engine, my god that's the best one yet easily. Everything I could ever dream for in a modern Sonic game, marrying the best parts of the Classic and Adventure games seamlessly. It's beautiful.

There's so many of these 3D engines that get the physics right that at this point if the next official game does anything other than that there's gonna be disappointment all round.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'm not as hot on that engine as some people, but I still think it looks very good.

Considering the state of Forces, it's not going to be a great look if Sega debuts another Sonic 3D platforner and it isn't at least as competent as one of these fan-made Unreal / Unity engines mechanically. There'd be no excuse at this point.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
While I haven't seem much in the way of actual level design, how the characters control in some of these demo's are impressive.

Also Just learned that Ken Penders lied to sega about ben hurst to stop him from getting sonic satam season 3 made and then pitched his shitty movie idea. I knew he pitched a bad movie, I didn't know that was the precursor to that

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Part of me thinks the reason they went with such an intensely different gameplay style in the boost games is to directly avoid comparisons to fangames. I was really surprised how close some fan concepts were reaching Unleashed quality within just two years of it's release, but now I just feel bad for the devs.

Once again the fan community is making similar quality (honestly just better) gameplay concepts and Sonic Team will never be able to compete with them mechanically because they are on PCs while Sonic Team are still likely tied down to Nintendo hardware.

Motwera

Oct 27, 2017
Is it so hard for CS2/Sonic Team to make something comprehensible when the fans are bringing proof of concept 3D demos that have proven time and time again that there is potential for great Modern Sonic gameplay? I really don't understand why this keeps happening despite all the changes and restructuring over the years. In fact, why can't they just trim down the fat and get the essentials right and iterate on that?

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Meant to mention, I saw this person making a Sonic engine within the Dreams PS4 engine, and it looks surprisingly good so far. OVA vibes to the design:

This is an earlier video, so the animations and some of the physics aren't as good as above, but I think this shows it off a little better honestly:

Last edited:

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In fact, why can't they just trim down the fat and get the essentials right and iterate on that?
I'm with you on this point. If they can lay a foundation that's as solid as some of these fan engines appear to be, they'd at least put out some games that feel good to move around in.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Started Unleashed on Xbox for the first time this evening. I played the Wii version back when it released, but never the HD versions.

I forgot how awesome the opening scene is lol. And I'm enjoying the pretty lighthearted tone of the story so far, which I'd forgotten about.

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot how awesome the opening scene is lol. And I'm enjoying the pretty lighthearted tone of the story so far, which I'd forgotten about.
It was the last time the series ever struck an appropriate balance of humor/adventure/scale. The writers from Colors onward really dropped the ball with their cornball shit. The only good to come of it were the Eggman PA announcements.

Oct 25, 2017
Meant to mention, I saw this person making a Sonic engine within the Drama PS4 engine, and it looks surprisingly good so far. OVA vibes to the design:

This is an earlier video, so the animations and some of the physics aren't as good as above, but I think this shows it off a little better honestly:

No joke, it looks more satisfying and fun to move Sonic around in that environment than the last decade of 3D games.

Rurouni

Dec 25, 2017
Excuse me.... what... I thought my mind was blown but what...

Nailing Sonic was impressive enough but Tails and Knuckles... as well.... Holy crap ! Honestly, this needs a thread. I'd make it but it's late and I have to go sleep but this is incredible.

>Actual implementation of dashing during Flight

Utopia doesn't have shit on any of this, at all.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda feel bad, sonic team talking about " Once we get sonic right we will work on other characters " I have seen good movement from some demo projects with multiple characters, different abilities too.

Again, it doesn't account for level design, but shit seems fun to actually move around

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
>Actual implementation of dashing during Flight

Utopia doesn't have shit on any of this, at all.

While I think this loops to have much better gameplay than Utopia, let's not forget that it still needs level design to back it up. I do have high hopes for this tho. It takes the best of classic, adventure and boost sonic and seems to make it damn fun.

I kinda feel bad, sonic team talking about " Once we get sonic right we will work on other characters " I have seen good movement from some demo projects with multiple characters, different abilities too.

Again, it doesn't account for level design, but shit seems fun to actually move around

Yeah, I wonder how those meetings are going. If they're aware of those fan engines.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad we're finally getting a Sakura Wars game after all these years, but this Sonic drought hurts. During the 2010s the only 3D Sonic games we got were Colors, Lost World, Generations, and Forces, and out of all of those the only one I really liked with Generations.

I really hope that we get something next year, if we have to start waiting four years between each Sonic game, that'll make me kind of sad. I would be okay with it if the 3D Sonic games from here on out had a lot of content to them, the ones from this decade all took me less than seven and a half hours to complete everything in them on average. If the newer games were like the 2000s titles (and Adventure 1) where there is enough stuff to last over 20 hours, I would be fine with this longer gap between releases.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Is it so hard for CS2/Sonic Team to make something comprehensible when the fans are bringing proof of concept 3D demos that have proven time and time again that there is potential for great Modern Sonic gameplay? I really don't understand why this keeps happening despite all the changes and restructuring over the years. In fact, why can't they just trim down the fat and get the essentials right and iterate on that?
That is honestly what Sonic Forces is. Outside of the Avatar stuff at least (which is still a similar enough platformer) it does basically everything fans of Sonic Generations wanted.

The problem is they seriously applied the absolute minimum effort in all aspects. Out of all of the Sonic games out there that has the strongest "This is not what we wanted to make" vibe to it. There was just such an intense air of lacking passion in every aspect of the final product. It is so weird because the Japanese marketing kind of presents it as the most epic game in the series to date. Some of the leaks and released promotional material make it seem like it was meant to be something way grander too. What an odd game.

Rurouni

Dec 25, 2017
I really really really REALLY want to believe Haruki's claim from 2015 on wanting to being back trust with fans of the franchise and that Forces was an inevitable accident due to being conceptually well underway by that point.

The more I think about it the more I get immensely angered at Sonic Team JPN not only shitting out one of the most inarguably soulless products in franchise history on the same year of Mania's release, but also reminding me how much I genuinely miss the era of 3D Sonic being given a budget despite their own set of pitfalls (with the current one currently being my absolute least favorite).

I'm just so exhausted of post-2010 3D Sonic that any future project not helmed under the same sonic Team that gave us Lost World and Forces would be a massive breath of fresh air. I also say this as someone who enjoyed Generations and has a soft spot for Colors, but even then I've come to a personal realization that those two just don't envoke the same emotion of appreciation that I share with the Adventure twins in particular as a package.

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
All they have to do is stick to a formula and improve upon it. If Forces actually learned from Generations' shortcomings, we would be talking about one of the best games in the franchise, if not the best. Instead, they took Modern Sonic and stripped him of pretty much every ability, made Classic somehow feel worse, made the level design extremely linear and automated and completely ruined the physics.

For some reason, it feels like when Sonic Team is confronted with actual feedback they just completely give up. 06 was a complete disaster? Lost World wasn't that well executed? Ditch the whole formula!

It's like the only thing they put effort into was the create a character.
The game originally only had the Avatar creator until SEGA forced them to put Sonic in it according to rumors, so it makes sense.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
That is honestly what Sonic Forces is. Outside of the Avatar stuff at least (which is still a similar enough platformer) it does basically everything fans of Sonic Generations wanted.

The problem is they seriously applied the absolute minimum effort in all aspects. Out of all of the Sonic games out there that has the strongest "This is not what we wanted to make" vibe to it. There was just such an intense air of lacking passion in every aspect of the final product. It is so weird because the Japanese marketing kind of presents it as the most epic game in the series to date. Some of the leaks and released promotional material make it seem like it was meant to be something way grander too. What an odd game.

It kinda feels like they wanted to make a bigger game, wasn't able to and just made this.

NoirSuede

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IMO Sega should've let Takashi Iizuka retire, the man's been working on Sonic ever since Sonic 3, give him a rest already

Oct 28, 2017
So I dug out my copy of Sonic Rush as well as my 3DS. First of all apparently my 3DS hinge is broken so that makes things a bit awkward but still playable so I'll deal. But then I put my copy of Sonic Rush in the system.....oh hey my old completed save file. S ranks on every stage how nice. But I wanna start a new save file lets see how we do that...

WHAT DO YOU MEAN I HAVE TO DELETE MY SAVE FILE TO START A NEW ONE?! THE HELL?!

Seriously why? That original save file is so nice. Look at all those shiny S ranks. I can't in good conscience delete this. But I wanna start this game again on a new save. Man this sucks I don't know what to do.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Damn Crash Team racing got the character customization too. Damn , gonna need other mascot racers to get this shit

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So I dug out my copy of Sonic Rush as well as my 3DS. First of all apparently my 3DS hinge is broken so that makes things a bit awkward but still playable so I'll deal. But then I put my copy of Sonic Rush in the system.....oh hey my old completed save file. S ranks on every stage how nice. But I wanna start a new save file lets see how we do that...

Seriously why? That original save file is so nice. Look at all those shiny S ranks. I can't in good conscience delete this. But I wanna start this game again on a new save. Man this sucks I don't know what to do.

Your name and avatar are literally from a game about being unfairly forced to start over again and again.

There were checkpoints, sure, but I think you know in your heart what you have to do.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018

Buy a new copy, delete yout save or emulate (it's legal because you own the game).

Oct 28, 2017
Your name and avatar are literally from a game about being unfairly forced to start over again and again.

There were checkpoints, sure, but I think you know in your heart what you have to do.
I Wanna Be The Guy lets you have multiple save files. But yes I sadly know what I must do.

In related news, today I learned that I now suck at Sonic Rush! Been so long since I've played this. I used to do perfect runs in my sleep. Now I just plain suck.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone

Ha, very similar situation I found myself in many years ago with Sonic Rush. All S ranks (except the final battle(s), I think?), one save slot. And there was some dialogue I accidentally skipped over in my playthrough so I've always been meaning to go back to it with a fresh start one of these days. Thing is, I stupidly sold my copy anyway. :/

Ideally we'd get a DS Virtual Console-type service on Switch with an OEM Flip Grip-esque holder and stylus, which would be an amazing way to revisit Rush in all of its glory. It's one of the best games in the series full-stop, and I won't hear any different from naysayers. :P

Oct 28, 2017
Ha, very similar situation I found myself in many years ago with Sonic Rush. All S ranks (except the final battle(s), I think?), one save slot. And there was some dialogue I accidentally skipped over in my playthrough so I've always been meaning to go back to it with a fresh start one of these days. Thing is, I stupidly sold my copy anyway. :/

Ideally we'd get a DS Virtual Console-type service on Switch with an OEM Flip Grip-esque holder and stylus, which would be an amazing way to revisit Rush in all of its glory. It's one of the best games in the series full-stop, and I won't hear any different from naysayers. :P
Rush was nothing short of a revelation. Turned Sonic gameplay on its head and became the blueprint for damn near every major Sonic game that followed. Kickass soundtrack. Really fun story. Great boss fights. Blaze is pretty much the best character introduced in the franchise post 16 bit era. Rush was fantastic and doesn't get enough praise. It was inventive. It was bold. It was quality.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Rush was cool but the difficulty spikes in the way of bottomless pits were annoying as hell. Looking at you Altitude Limit!

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love Rush, but yeah, the bottomless pits surpised me. Feels like more then any other platformer Sonic.

Need to try Adventure still

Oct 25, 2017
Having 100%'d Colors DS over the Easter holiday and returning to Rush and Rush Adventure simultaneously, it is kinda crazy how it was the second time Dimps showed a solid progression in game design after the Advance trilogy. Even if Advance 3 and Colors have their own gimmicks that one could argue take away from the core experience, I think seeing the devs understanding the strengths of the previous games and harnessing them into a solid effort regardless really speaks volumes compared to Sonic Team's haphazard approach to things.

Though I think that progression is more apparent in the Rush trilogy than Advance, mainly because of Advance 2 kinda running off of a cliff. Rush is just a...rush of cool and new concepts held back by typical Dimps speed traps and just generally being a bunch of unique new ideas. Rush Adventure really tightens those weaknesses up and makes what feels like a more readable and refined Rush, though the Adventure arguably gets in the way of appreciating that at times. 100%'ing Colors kinda blew me away with how well the levels were designed and compensated for Wisps, and the additions to Sonic's moveset really help compliment general improvements and distract from how cheap the game is outside of gameplay.

It's a pretty imperfect yet quality lineup and it's hard to really pick a favorite between the three personally, but they really do make me wish the series could find such consistency like it again. At this point I really would stan for another Dimps to roll back around and make more offshoots during the downtime between the big Sonic Team titles, but considering the console lineup at the moment and the seeming lack of wanting to earnestly try to branch the franchise out again, it's hard to see it happening. I suppose Mania is there and the Boom debacle still gives them good reason for pause, but still...

(It also doesn't help Dimps' case that they had pretty varying quality outside of their trilogies).

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Having 100%'d Colors DS over the Easter holiday and returning to Rush and Rush Adventure simultaneously, it is kinda crazy how it was the second time Dimps showed a solid progression in game design after the Advance trilogy. Even if Advance 3 and Colors have their own gimmicks that one could argue take away from the core experience, I think seeing the devs understanding the strengths of the previous games and harnessing them into a solid effort regardless really speaks volumes compared to Sonic Team's haphazard approach to things.

Though I think that progression is more apparent in the Rush trilogy than Advance, mainly because of Advance 2 kinda running off of a cliff. Rush is just a...rush of cool and new concepts held back by typical Dimps speed traps and just generally being a bunch of unique new ideas. Rush Adventure really tightens those weaknesses up and makes what feels like a more readable and refined Rush, though the Adventure arguably gets in the way of appreciating that at times. 100%'ing Colors kinda blew me away with how well the levels were designed and compensated for Wisps, and the additions to Sonic's moveset really help compliment general improvements and distract from how cheap the game is outside of gameplay.

It's a pretty imperfect yet quality lineup and it's hard to really pick a favorite between the three personally, but they really do make me wish the series could find such consistency like it again. At this point I really would stan for another Dimps to roll back around and make more offshoots during the downtime between the big Sonic Team titles, but considering the console lineup at the moment and the seeming lack of wanting to earnestly try to branch the franchise out again, it's hard to see it happening. I suppose Mania is there and the Boom debacle still gives them good reason for pause, but still...

(It also doesn't help Dimps' case that they had pretty varying quality outside of their trilogies).

I miss the standalone handheld games. Rush Adventure was my favorite of the DS trilogy.

Melpontro

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely feel like we've been missing out these last few years with the lack of decent spinoff titles. Feels like just a few years ago we always had at least 1 new title a year.

Oct 28, 2017
I love Rush, but yeah, the bottomless pits surpised me. Feels like more then any other platformer Sonic.

Need to try Adventure still
Rush Adventure was amazing! I got it and finished it on release day. I remember being so excited for it at the time. I only got my DS in 2007 and so was only recently done with Rush when Rush Adventure was coming out. I think Rush Adventure is the better game. Best Sonic game with Adventure in the title, and yeah, I'd say it's definitely the best boost Sonic game. I preferred the story of the first Rush game though.

As for Colours DS, I really liked it but it was lacking something compared to the Rush games I cant quite put my finger on it.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
So for the past two weeks or so I've finally stopped being a lazy ass and worked for multiple hours on end sessions on this Sonic Adventure video I talked about writing on here almost a year ago lol. Happy to receive feedback:

I know I'm late, but I just saw this, & I have to say that I dig it! I still don't know if I have it in me to replay Adventure, but I definitely appreciate it a lot more now. Nice analysis!

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Let me guess. Team Sonic Racing is going to break street date within in a matter of days, like every other Sonic game.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Let me guess. Team Sonic Racing is going to break street date within in a matter of days, like every other Sonic game.

It's lasting longer than usual tbh. Who knows ? It might make it. Also, the review embargo is dropping friday so it seems like they're confident in the game so at least we won't get any bad surprises.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
It's lasting longer than usual tbh. Who knows ? It might make it. Also, the review embargo is dropping friday so it seems like they're confident in the game so at least we won't get any bad surprises.

No, from what I can remember, most street date breaks were middle-end of week, Mania was leaked on a Thursday, if I remember correctly. We're still early on in. I've heard nothing but positive impressions following the delay, so it was definitely the right move.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
Posted this in another thread, thought you guys might be interested:
Any leak that doesn't have Officer Burpo is fake
aa59Ref.jpg

aa59Ref.jpg
d8e1Rei.jpg