• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
well the 30th anniversary
is 2021

so if they actually started it a couple a months after forces
and there's no dev hell like forces it should be the 3d sonic game with the longest dev time.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
well the 30th anniversary
is 2021

so if they actually started it a couple a months after forces
and there's no dev hell like forces it should be the 3d sonic game with the longest dev time.
We have next Gen consoles by then so they aren't gonna have a consistent development cycle. Especially since the switch gap will be much worse.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
I would assume CS2 has been kicking around ideas for the next Sonic game since Forces, but there's no way in hell Sega's putting four years of full production into a Sonic title.

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's so weird the way SEGA treats Sonic nowadays. Parts of it seem to care, others not really.

I have no clue how it will work with the "pillar" stuff being on the US, with the game being made at Japan.

ckareset

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
It's so weird the way SEGA treats Sonic nowadays. Parts of it seem to care, others not really.

I have no clue how it will work with the "pillar" stuff being on the US, with the game being made at Japan.
Sonic survives for legacy purposes. Sega doesn't care. The way they talk about the struggle to get a budget for those animated shorts is depressing.

Rurouni

Dec 25, 2017
We have next Gen consoles by then so they aren't gonna have a consistent development cycle. Especially since the switch gap will be much worse.
They'll probably target the Switch hardware and up-port other versions, unless they feel like pulling another Sonic Unleashed.

I wonder whether or not they'll stick with the current version of their in-house engine or finally shift to a different one.

ckareset

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
They'll probably target the Switch hardware and up-port other versions, unless they feel like pulling another Sonic Unleashed.

I wonder whether or not they'll stick with the current version of their in-house engine or finally shift to a different one.
lol, has a studio ever targeted switch (worse) hardware

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
Since i didn't see posted in this thread i would like to recommend you all to watch the video Matt Mcmuscles did about Sonic Boom troubled development, it really shows Sonic Team lack of care to the franchise:

I wouldn't really trust that guy. He does some pretty sloppy research, in my opinion. From what I can tell, a lot of this video is him just reading off of information that's already been out there for years, but he still does get things wrong, like his claims about how CryEngine 3 didn't run on the Wii U and how Crytek had no basis to help BigRedButton develop Sonic Boom.

Here's a quote from Crytek's CEO, Cervat Yerli, stating a Wii U port of Crysis 3 was almost ready to ship. He blames its failure to launch on Wii U as a communication problem between Nintendo and EA -- remember, as originally announced, Nintendo was going to rely on EA to handle the Wii U's online infrastructure until they mysteriously backed out of the deal and went with an in-house solution. EA seemed to intentionally scorn Nintendo from that point on.

For example, from the early days of the Nintendo/EA partnership, they were contractually obligated to port Mass Effect 3 to the Wii U. When asked how they'd handle the fact that Mass Effect 1 and 2 weren't available on any other Nintendo platforms, EA and Bioware stated there would be a "recap quiz" at the start of ME3 to fill in the gaps and let you import some of your decisions from past games.

Three months before Mass Effect 3 was set to launch on Wii U, EA announced Mass Effect 1 was also coming to the Playstation 3 for the first time, as part of a "Mass Effect Trilogy" box set including ME1, ME2, and ME3. They pitched it as "the complete saga in one box." This new trilogy set would come to all platforms except the one that would benefit the most from its inclusion: Wii U, a move that definitely looked like spite.

Instead, Matt McMuscles spins it as "lol sega was stupid, crytek was useless, and bigredbutton was bad!" either because he didn't want to do all the research or because he thought it would be funnier to tear everyone down for laughs. Either way, he wasn't giving the correct version of the truth.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Anniversary games are dumb ideas. Didn't they agree to stop doing that

I mean the lead time for a game running on the retro-sonic engine can't be that severe given how much work is already done, especially if it's another case where most of the game is remade from pre-existing stage concepts. It'd also survive the generation gap easily since there's not much that would change in the move from one platform to the other, especially since it sounds like backward compatibility is going to be more of a focus early in the generation.

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't really trust that guy. He does some pretty sloppy research, in my opinion. From what I can tell, a lot of this video is him just reading off of information that's already been out there for years, but he still does get things wrong, like his claims about how CryEngine 3 didn't run on the Wii U and how Crytek had no basis to help BigRedButton develop Sonic Boom.

Here's a quote from Crytek's CEO, Cervat Yerli, stating a Wii U port of Crysis 3 was almost ready to ship. He blames its failure to launch on Wii U as a communication problem between Nintendo and EA -- remember, as originally announced, Nintendo was going to rely on EA to handle the Wii U's online infrastructure until they mysteriously backed out of the deal and went with an in-house solution. EA seemed to intentionally scorn Nintendo from that point on.

For example, from the early days of the Nintendo/EA partnership, they were contractually obligated to port Mass Effect 3 to the Wii U. When asked how they'd handle the fact that Mass Effect 1 and 2 weren't available on any other Nintendo platforms, EA and Bioware stated there would be a "recap quiz" at the start of ME3 to fill in the gaps and let you import some of your decisions from past games.

Three months before Mass Effect 3 was set to launch on Wii U, EA announced Mass Effect 1 was also coming to the Playstation 3 for the first time, as part of a "Mass Effect Trilogy" box set including ME1, ME2, and ME3. They pitched it as "the complete saga in one box." This new trilogy set would come to all platforms except the one that would benefit the most from its inclusion: Wii U, a move that definitely looked like spite.

Instead, Matt McMuscles spins it as "lol sega was stupid, crytek was useless, and bigredbutton was bad!" either because he didn't want to do all the research or because he thought it would be funnier to tear everyone down for laughs. Either way, he wasn't giving the correct version of the truth.

I've watched that video and the 06 one and was on the fence about some point. Thanks for clearing them up.

ckareset

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I mean the lead time for a game running on the retro-sonic engine can't be that severe given how much work is already done, especially if it's another case where most of the game is remade from pre-existing stage concepts. It'd also survive the generation gap easily since there's not much that would change in the move from one platform to the other, especially since it sounds like backward compatibility is going to be more of a focus early in the generation.
Mania 2 would be smart. Forcing a Mania 2 release for the anniversary would be dumb.

I'm pretty sure Forces and Mania missed the anniversary last time. So they aren't completely clueclueless. Mania was barely "finished" when it released considering they had to do stage transitions later.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Yea, I'm not surprised at either video, Matt is just...I don't how to put it...but the lack of research and just going off second-hand accounts seems lazy.

Rocha

Jul 5, 2019
Brazil

Thx for the advice, i should had suspected that Matt wasn't the most suited person to do this kinds of videos.

Also, i was cleaning my wardrobe this past day and found my old video game case and inside there was a lot of the old ps2 sonic games. Do you guys know if the Sonic Collection Plus and Gems collection ports are any good or worth playing? I remember the sonic cd one having a really bad save system

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Gems Collection was the only way to play Sonic the Fighters for the longest time. It's of increasingly less utility as time goes by; Sonic R is better on PC (lemme know if you need a link to the mod loader for it), Sonic CD's 2011 port is overall superior (and the Gems port IIRC misses features from the older '96 PC port), and, again, Fighters in on PS3 and I think 360 as well.

Mega Collection Plus is...OK?

Rocha

Jul 5, 2019
Brazil
Gems Collection was the only way to play Sonic the Fighters for the longest time. It's of increasingly less utility as time goes by; Sonic R is better on PC (lemme know if you need a link to the mod loader for it), Sonic CD's 2011 port is overall superior (and the Gems port IIRC misses features from the older '96 PC port), and, again, Fighters in on PS3 and I think 360 as well.

Mega Collection Plus is...OK?
By the look of things there are a lot of better ports out there, so i think playing the collections would only be a worst experience. To this day i remember being disappointed with the Gems Collection version of Sonic Cd for not having the option to select between the Japanese and American version of the soundtrack.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Yeah the only thing Gems and Mega Collection + have over more recent ports is that they were made in a time when Sega wasn't ashamed to admit that Sonic games existed on the Game Gear. Even then most of them -- even a lot of the bad ones -- are on 3DS and that uses a solid GG emulator by M2 that even simulates the ghosting you'd see on an actual GG screen if you have the relevant settings ticked.

Still it's fucked that Labyrinth and Blast are on 3DS and Chaos -- which is decent, if slight -- isn't.

Rurouni

Dec 25, 2017
lol, has a studio ever targeted switch (worse) hardware
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's more under the assumption that thanks to Sega's current management of treating Sonic as a low budget franchise nowadays Sonic Team probably aren't as concerned with trying to keep parity between different hardware as before.

I'd certainly like to be proven wrong in a way that after Forces Sega would finally grow a pair and give Sonic the resources needed to make a beefy product again, even If it means pulling an Unleashed approach via hiring a different studio to make a version for underpowered hardware...*sigh*

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Wow, i completely forgot that Sonic labyrinth existed, that was one of the weirdest sonic games i played

I struggle some days on deciding whether it or Blast is the Worst Sonic Game of All Time. I'm usually tempted to hand it to Blast because at least Labyrinth is experimental and not even done by Aspect. Blast is a game where they should have known better.

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, I'm not surprised at either video, Matt is just...I don't how to put it...but the lack of research and just going off second-hand accounts seems lazy.

He seemed to do so well on those first couple "What Happen?" videos because he was cherry picking games he was personally immersed in, so of course he knew all the dirty secrets

Now that he's being forced to leave his wheelhouse, it really does feel like he's trying to dress up what are kind of surface level takes. It's not a bad format, he dresses this stuff up well, but this makes two videos now where I know more than he does and he's fudging details.

Rocha

Jul 5, 2019
Brazil
I didn't played a lot of blast, but i can't imagine something being worse than labyrinth. Blast at least has the benefit of using the old sonic mold, for better or worst.

Tali's Adventures is the only Game Gear Sonic title that i remember really liking. Guess I'll play Gems Collection just to replay it and see if my thoughts have changed.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
3D Blast is pretty good! It's a completely different game from Sonic Blast which is on the Game Gear (and, by way of Tec Toy, Master System), based on Sonic & Knuckles, and, somehow, completely terrible. I often call it "G Sonic", its name in Japan, to avoid the ambiguity

Rocha

Jul 5, 2019
Brazil
Blast as in 3d Blast? That's a classic
3D blast is really fun, i was talking about Sonic Blast for the game gear:
images

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
On the topic of Sonic 3D Blast, are the differences between the Saturn and Mega Drive versions big?

Different special stages and soundtrack, I believe. I prefer the Saturn version for its awesome soundtrack, but I actually played the PC version based on the Saturn version.

Rocha

Jul 5, 2019
Brazil
Different special stages and soundtrack, I believe. I prefer the Saturn version for its awesome soundtrack, but I actually played the PC version based on the Saturn version.
For some reason i thought there was some gameplay differences between the ports like a Sonic Unleashed scenario, but it's good to know the two are almost the same.

Oct 28, 2017
It's been a while but I believe the Saturn version of Flickies Island was compatible with analog controls (with the absolute unit that is the Nights/3D controller), if that makes any difference.

Though I still prefer the Mega Drive versions soundtrack - the tracks by Tetsuyuki Maeda (or whoever it is that arranged their tracks with the bass in ch. 2) present some potential GOAT tracks for the series in general.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Genesis version got all the memorable melodies, but Saturn version got this

fair trade off imo

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
Sonic 3D Blast for the Saturn was one of the games I think I first bought with my Saturn

1. It increases the color depth from 16 colors to 256 colors.
  2. Brand new intro and ending FMVs.
  3. Totally different CD soundtrack by Richard Jacques.
  4. Additional detail was added to stages. There's monkeys jumping around in the trees in Green Grove, rain and fog rolls in for Rusty Ruin, etc.
  5. It supports the Saturn 3D Control Pad, enabling analog movement.
  6. Revamped special stages using polygonal graphics similar to Sonic R; functions very similar to Sonic 2's halfpipe stages, but with new gameplay features like slope physics, rolling, boost pads, 360 degree tunnels, and timed bonus gates. (Video)
Honestly I wish Jon Burton's "Sonic 3D Blast: Director's Cut" had its changes migrated to the Saturn version. Or at least the PC version.

Last edited:

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
See, this is just another reason, on top of it better communicating the design of the game, that the PAL name Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island is better ;p
hahaha

The game was name G Sonic in Japan though. They changed it to Blast because it also uses pre-rendered graphics. For me, it's one of the worst games in the series.

And for some reason Tec Toy though it was better to port Blast to the SMS instead of Triple Trouble :/

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
When I bought my Saturn and some games off of eBay many years ago, it came with a surprise 3D Blast disc in the tray even though it wasn't mentioned in the listing, so I might not have given it the time of day otherwise if the seller hadn't thrown that in the bundle. (Thank you random eBay seller!) I played through it in one sitting and then proceeded to listen to its soundtrack in my portable CD player over and over and over again in the years after. It's one of the best OSTs in the entire series and I have so much nostalgia for it. Richard Jacques is a legend.

Lately though I've been revisiting the 16-bit version's OST and it, too, is spectacular. I know Ice Cap Zone is held in high regard for many as THE premier ice level Sonic music, but I challenge that notion with the sheer amazingness of Diamond Dust Zone. It's longer, more varied, and (as corny as it is to say) has some real "emotion" to it that you rarely hear from that era.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Playing Mega Collection right now, best compilation ever made. The presentation is only rivaled by M2's work.

Hard to believe a game compilation sold over 4 million copies, but it apparently did.

Oct 28, 2017
It loses by default for having that nightmare of a cover.
MV5BNzQ1OWFhZjAtYWNjZC00NDZlLWFlNjctNjhjOTA3MzdmZGEwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjgyOTI1ODY@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
What's worse is when STC's illustrators started to model Sonic after this version (though at least one of the artists captured it really well, all things considered - and Elson's rendition of this Sonic was actually an improvement over his previous chonk-angry-Christmas-tree Sonic).

latest

This largely went on until they started adapting Adventure.

OneEcchiBoi

Aug 2, 2019
For anyone interested, drx posted an update on the CD prototypes on Sega-16. It states "Hi all, I bought the discs. I'm sure the wata boxes won't be a problem. This is still in progress so I can't say much, but I will post an update once I can. It's a don't count your eggs before they hatch kind of situation." So it seems the CD-Rs were Wata graded.

Melpontro

Oct 25, 2017
Have we heard anything on if Mario and Sonic 2020 will be bringing back the dream events? If I remember right those were missing from the last entry

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018

Yeah, all 3 versions are slightly different. In general while the PC port is almost identical to the Saturn version, it's unfortunately worse in a few ways. The music for speed shoes and invincibility don't play, any sort of translucent environment effects like the fogs in Rusty Ruin and Volcano Valley don't show up, and the final boss doesn't look as nice. Also, the sound effects for rings, shields, etc. aren't synthesized, but instead all taken from 16kHz mono samples and mostly sound worse as well.

Also the special stages are completely different, and possibly the worst of all 3 versions.

I still like the PC version for having, like, zero loading, though.