• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
I'd almost say Wing Fortress is a worse level than Metropolis. Metropolis is way too long, sure, but Wing Fortress is kind of a mess that's hard to follow.

Rocha

Jul 5, 2019
Brazil
Since I'm already playing the collections on the PS2 I've been thinking about replaying the other 3D Sonic games on the console as well, so, do you guys think the PS2 port of Unleashed is worth playing?
I remember liking the game at the time, but nowadays knowing all the features that were removed from the port makes me doubt it's quality. At least people seem to agree that the werehog stages are better on this version.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Since I'm already playing the collections on the PS2 I've been thinking about replaying the other 3D Sonic games on the console as well, so, do you guys think the PS2 port of Unleashed is worth playing?
I remember liking the game at the time, but nowadays knowing all the features that were removed from the port makes me doubt it's quality. At least people seem to agree that the werehog stages are better on this version.

I'd play the Wii version (with a Classic Controller) over the PS2 version, personally. Either way it's definitely a different game. I liked the puzzle shrines (which are super easy to miss) and some of the Werehog mechanics feel better, like swinging off enemies and using boxes to block flames. But the fighting is easily worse, it's clearly lower budget, and the Day stages are much emptier, so there's a lot of trade-offs. Honestly, the stages are so different it's not even really a port, it's another game made with the same design documents.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm not mistaken, Flying Battery appears after Carnival Night in Sonic 3 and Knuckles, but on the regular Sonic and Knuckles Flying Battery is the second stage.
Flying Battery is only in the first half in Sonic 3 Complete with the prototype level order enabled. Vanilla S3K leaves it where it is.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think what we've all decided is that if you're going to play Sonic 1, you should play the best version:

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
I'm now suddenly thinking how feasible it is to play through Sonics 2 and 3 using only Sonic 1's available moveset.

- no spin dash
- no Super Sonic
- Sonic 1 physics
- no Tails
- no S3 Shield powers
- no W Kaiten

In Sonic 3 at least you'd end up stuck in Angel Island zone already: pretty sure you have to be able to spin dash to get the momentum to bust through the mandatory rock walls in Act 2, especially that one right before the forced Flying Battery section.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My grandpa bought me Sonic 3 as a kid and called me over because he didn't know how to spin dash through the rock on Angel Island.

Oct 26, 2017

A heads up. My pals at Sonic Stadium are running a kickstarter for ticket sales for the Sonic Adventure music experience run by Summer of Sonic (which itself is by Sonic Stadium). There's only 5 days left to grab them if you can. Tickets are ONLY available here, so if you miss out, you're out of luck. Can someone make a thread on the gaming side for me since this may count as self-promotion as I am part of the site's staff (though I have no involvement with this or SoS itself mind you)? Thanks! :D

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone

A heads up. My pals at Sonic Stadium are running a kickstarter for ticket sales for the Sonic Adventure music experience run by Summer of Sonic (which itself is by Sonic Stadium). There's only 5 days left to grab them if you can. Tickets are ONLY available here, so if you miss out, you're out of luck. Can someone make a thread on the gaming side for me since this may count as self-promotion as I am part of the site's staff (though I have no involvement with this or SoS itself mind you)? Thanks! :D

Done! :)

Ugh, I wish I could go to this... :/

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Some more details have surfaced for M&S Tokyo 2020:

And here's a bonus Metal Sonic throwing a... discus? Frisbee? Bumper?

modes4.jpg

Cogniferous

Oct 27, 2017
England
I was about to call out Eggman Nega in the story mode section of the trailer, but a quick Google shows he's been in a ton of the Mario & Sonic Olympic Games. News to me!

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I assume they can't post it themselves (or perhaps that's just threads), but a certain familiar reviewer has posted a Crash Team Racing vs. Team Sonic Racing comparison video:

The winner is of course, unsurprisingly
Garfield Kart Furious Racing

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
I meant to post it somewhere on Era, and honestly went looking for the Team Sonic Racing thread because that was bumped just a few days ago

Then I, uh, got distracted

I also got distracted writing this reply

I'm glad that less-distracted people are more on the ball than I am

Last edited:

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I assume they can't post it themselves (or perhaps that's just threads), but a certain familiar reviewer has posted a Crash Team Racing vs. Team Sonic Racing comparison video:

The winner is of course, unsurprisingly
Garfield Kart Furious Racing

Great summary. I think it's kind of a crime that TSR didn't get any DLC. The game was fun. I'll try CTR eventually. I hope mtx doesn't get in the way of the main game.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I've enjoyed all of the Mario & Sonic games save for the first (and of course with varying degrees of enjoyment), so I'm really looking forward to November!

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
So what's the status of the fan Sonic 2 HD game?

They put out an updated demo... two years ago? Contained a slice of Chemical Plant and Hilltop Zone, I believe. Not everybody liked some of the new art, so they said they'd go back and revise it.

I believe that was the last major update until about a week ago when they showed new art for Aquatic Ruin, Super Sonic, and posted a video showcasing a proof-of-concept for what special stages could look like.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't really follow his work, but his name came up a lot. That's a shame, only in his 50's too.

Old_King_Coal

Nov 1, 2017
Some of the few memories I have of reading sonic the comic as a kid are Dobbyn's work, I especially remember the one where knuckles talks to a ghostly triceratops head.

In the last year I went back and read through all of STC as an adult, and the knuckles strips were indeed good with excellent art. I loved that interpretation of the character.

RIP Nigel.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
First extended footage of the Sonic Olympics mobile game launching next year:

No lame Mario characters is at least one improvement over the console version, but the trailer loses some points for passing off "gimmick-filled" as a selling point. lol

Village

Oct 25, 2017
First extended footage of the Sonic Olympics mobile game launching next year:

No lame Mario characters is at least one improvement over the console version, but the trailer loses some points for passing off "gimmick-filled" as a selling point. lol

They really seem to be trying to make some MONEY this time round with that game. They have multiple versions just to sell on other comsoles

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
I've been going through a Sonic phase recently thanks to playing Sonic Rush on a long distance journey.

I got the PC versions of the Adventure games and was surprised as to how much I like the both of them. I tried replaying them both in late 2011 and , at the time, decided that they were no longer any good. I don't know why I really clicked with it this time. Doing spindash jumps are the best parts of these games.

I then played Rush Adventure and Colors DS (which I was told was also a Rush game). I absolutely loved Rush Adventure, especially some of the bosses, but didn't particularly care for how the Wisps were used in Colors DS. I'm actually going to try and do all the missions in Rush Adventure.

Then I finally played the two 2017 Sonic games. Mania was amazing. I don't really know what else to say about it because it's just really solid overall. Probably the most consistently fun Sonic game. I'm not sure Forces was worth the $10 I spent. I sort of like the return to a more Adventure themed story, but it felt really undercooked. The levels were the big problem for me. There were maybe 3-4 levels that I thought were sort of interesting. That said, I think letting fans make their own character is a neat touch. That probably made a lot of people happy.

I even started ready some of those new IDW Sonic Comics. I've never read any of the comics before but I'm really liking these so far.