• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
This (These ) game(s) has an interesting effect when the sonic characters do some special stuff. its like... cell shadey. The normal games these days kinda do it, but this is the best execution i think I have seen of it

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like how Judo Shadow has the coverings over his standard shoes and not like his athletic shoes...it looks ridiculous hahaha

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
AErtGIp.jpg
SoV5pGR.jpg

Someone needs to find that glorious puppet show footage and immortalize it for all humanity ASAP.

In the meantime, at least we've got this:

I heard that just listening to this in its entirety automatically grants you Australian citizenship.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
They all look amazing.

Still. I wonder if there will even be a new Sonic game next year. Iizuka's statements strongly implied Sonic Team's next Sonic game will be in 2021, and it looks like a new Nights game might be happening soonish as well. I have no doubt Evening Star is working on a Sonic Mania sequel, but that won't be ready for a good while either. I'm going to guess no, there probably won't be a new game next year, but there will be teases.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
They all look amazing.

Still. I wonder if there will even be a new Sonic game next year. Iizuka's statements strongly implied Sonic Team's next Sonic game will be in 2021, and it looks like a new Nights game might be happening soonish as well. I have no doubt Evening Star is working on a Sonic Mania sequel, but that won't be ready for a good while either. I'm going to guess no, there probably won't be a new game next year, but there will be teases.
Sonic Mania took 2 years, no? 2020 would be 3 since the release of Mania, I think it's possible. Really interested with the 2021 game, though, as I don't see SEGA abandoning the Switch anytime soon. Maybe that game will come out for this gen, switch and next gen?

Rurouni

Dec 25, 2017
2020 so far is just the Olympic game coming out in regards to Sonic related content yeah?

They absolutely were. I think the general belief is the Team Attack Amigo DLC where you play as Tails, Blaze, and Omega was them scavenging the best of what they could finish. (It's worth noting they even slightly improved Tails' controls in this mode, but only this mode.)

Unless you meant completely fresh themes, locations, etc, built uniquely for them?

I keep forgetting that this DLC was a thing lol.

I kinda mean both, but eithet way who knows what could have been.

the problems with forces had nothing to do with it being a boost game. it was a very bad boost game that was obviously scrapped together on top of lost world's movement rather than built on the unleashed/generations gameplay engine. it felt wrong and it moved wrong and the level design was awful.
This is exactly how I feel whenever 06 gets bought up as an example to dismiss evolving Adventure gameplay further. :/

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Sonic Mania took 2 years, no? 2020 would be 3 since the release of Mania, I think it's possible. Really interested with the 2021 game, though, as I don't see SEGA abandoning the Switch anytime soon. Maybe that game will come out for this gen, switch and next gen?

I believe two years, yeah. I doubt it's releasing next year, though. Evening Star only formed about a year ago now. Releasing it during the 30th anniversary makes a lot more sense and gives them much more development time.

As for Sonic Team's game, I believe the Hedgehog Engine 2 was made specifically for making
multiplatform games easier to develop/port so it's safe to say Switch/Scarlet/PS5/PC will all get it.

As of now, we got M&S Olympics in November, the mobile Sonic Olympics game next spring, and SEGA AGES Sonic 2 which remains undated. (M2, what's the hold up? I'm starving here...)

The Genesis mini was completely redone by them, so that slowed down AGES considerably.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
The Genesis mini was completely redone by them, so that slowed down AGES considerably.

I'm aware, it's just that M2 has announced and released other AGES titles in the meantime after they initially announced Sonic 2 was coming over a year ago and have kept mostly silent on it since, not even providing an update at the TGS panel a few weeks back. You would think that a guaranteed best-seller like that would be prioritized over the others since they're basically leaving a lot of money on the table by not having it up for sale by now. It's just painful to have to wait so long for what's sure to be one of the best versions of Sonic 2 ever released.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I'm aware, it's just that M2 has announced and released other AGES titles in the meantime after they initially announced Sonic 2 was coming over a year ago and have kept mostly silent on it since, not even providing an update at the TGS panel a few weeks back. You would think that a guaranteed best-seller like that would be prioritized over the others since they're basically leaving a lot of money on the table by not having it up for sale by now. It's just painful to have to wait so long for what's sure to be one of the best versions of Sonic 2 ever released.

Yeah, that comment the M2 producer made about possibly adding new content to it has had me excited for the past year, but since then, not even a word about it, much less Saturn and Dreamcast games. This sucks. No one cares about Columns or Tant R or whatever shit they're releasing now.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Yeah, that comment the M2 producer made about possibly adding new content to it has had me excited for the past year, but since then, not even a word about it, much less Saturn and Dreamcast games. This sucks. No one cares about Columns or Tant R or whatever shit they're releasing now.

Harsh but true. lol I'm just hoping that all of this extra dev time has been spent to truly make this THE definitive version of Sonic 2. Build off of the 3D Classic version and throw in the extras from the Whitehead version, and you've got the best iteration of the game, hands down. I'm super excited to see what M2's done with it.

Rurouni

Dec 25, 2017
As of now, we got M&S Olympics in November, the mobile Sonic Olympics game next spring, and SEGA AGES Sonic 2 which remains undated. (M2, what's the hold up? I'm starving here...)
The Olympics game comes out next month, so 2020 is still a pretty empty calendar for Sonic so far.

I agree that Mania 2 seems like the best bet, though.
The title caught me off guard lmao. I stand corrected.

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be surprised if we got Mania 2 at this point. I think Evening Star was hiring for a 3D action game a month or two ago. I doubt it's Sonic related. I think they're moving on and would rather prove themselves in other ways than become known as the "team that makes classic-style Sonic games."

Granted, Sega could still publish something called Mania 2 without them...

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be surprised if we got Mania 2 at this point. I think Evening Star was hiring for a 3D action game a month or two ago. I doubt it's Sonic related. I think they're moving on and would rather prove themselves in other ways than become known as the "team that makes classic-style Sonic games."

Granted, Sega could still publish something called Mania 2 without them...
This is where i'm at.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I'm alarmed they just let shadow murder people in cold blood at the offices strange office policy

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Statue is good model but the gun....ooof

Village, how's this
Cute fun video . Though its funny because none of those characters werre actually there, so I guess infinte decided to dress like captain ginyu and made friends with his powers because he was lonely and no one would hang out with him.

I guess he did have friends, though according to Ian Flynn from sega, shadow most likely killed them. Which sucks because I liked the premise of an in sonic universe merc group. But uh now all of its gone.

Rambling, cute fun video

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the statue was made to promote shadow, not sonic 06, and what i hate most is that i remember seeing photos of it at e3 at the time

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Folks got 2020 and have screen shots

Someone at Sega really likes Zavok and wants you to think he's cool so bad. Its kinda sad

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Reading between the lines I honestly think Sonic is dying. I don't mean to be alarmist but if you look at the way ex developers and current developers talk about the series it sure seems that way. Budget titles, long time creator (Iizuka) being credited as the only reason the series is alive, current developers constantly telling us how much they had to fight for animations, merch, physicals...

We all know Forces was a flop, but I'm not so sure Mania did that well. At least in relation to how good it was. I mean it was only 20. And that can be attributed to the current negative reputation as opposed to people not liking it

Even Crash and Spyro have leap frogged into best sellers.

They've dropped bad games before but it's kinda remarkable how fast they made games. But with new hardware and tech, games are taking even longer to make and more expensive. 4 years and they dropped forces. It will be 3 or 4 years minimum to the next game and ps5 and xbox are coming next year.

How is the next 3D game gonna be good with no funding. Man honestly I think it's curtains for the hedgehog. Or we are dangerously close to the point.

ckareset

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I think the furry audience is a meme/myth at this point. Something they thought would carry them in Forces but how many character creations can you remember from the game.

The amount of sonic fans I see still making OC has pretty much died and the people that still follow the series are holdouts for something good or there to play the games ironically to shit on them.

It's like they can identify what's 'good' or 'bad' about the series but they don't know why. So it gets botched

Oct 25, 2017
Everything dies eventually, but even if Sonic stops being a flagship title for SEGA the community is as strong as ever. Both 2D and 3D fangames are becoming both more frequent and better on average. Lots of people collaborating and sharing ideas to make good fanworks, and the best of them still get buzz on video game news sites. Sonic will die when those people stop caring, and at that point I'd say he had a pretty good run. 🤷

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reading between the lines I honestly think Sonic is dying. I don't mean to be alarmist but if you look at the way ex developers and current developers talk about the series it sure seems that way. Budget titles, long time creator (Iizuka) being credited as the only reason the series is alive, current developers constantly telling us how much they had to fight for animations, merch, physicals...

We all know Forces was a flop, but I'm not so sure Mania did that well. At least in relation to how good it was. I mean it was only 20. And that can be attributed to the current negative reputation as opposed to people not liking it

Even Crash and Spyro have leap frogged into best sellers.

They've dropped bad games before but it's kinda remarkable how fast they made games. But with new hardware and tech, games are taking even longer to make and more expensive. 4 years and they dropped forces. It will be 3 or 4 years minimum to the next game and ps5 and xbox are coming next year.

How is the next 3D game gonna be good with no funding. Man honestly I think it's curtains for the hedgehog. Or we are dangerously close to the point.

Sega isn't in nearly as desperate of a position now as prior but ironically that also means that they don't need to depend on crapping our low budget Sonic games at 60 USD to generate revenue, AND that the franchise has been abused for so long that it no longer has a big enough sales ceiling to be worth a real gamble.

I mean let's be real, what is Sega going to allocate money to? Speeding up/improving Yakuza, Atlus Projects, Pachinko machines, or spending 50 million on a new Sonic game when Mania probably sold 2-3 million being generous?

We know that they had prototypes after Generations that were physics based and NOT a rehash of the boost formula, but obviously none of those got approved or turned out.

Honestly imo, the only path forward is for Sega to outright outsource a mainline project straight to Nintendo with next to no input.

Sonic Team Racing is also likely to never turn a profit.

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
I think Sonic Mania did very well.

GI.biz said:
Operating profit rose 30 per cent in Sega's games business in the last fiscal year, despite the company launching fewer titles than it had originally planned.

(...)

Sega's financial documents mentioned several Packaged Games as key releases for the year, including Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces. It also noted that Persona 5, which launched outside of Japan during the fiscal year, has now sold more than two million units.

The packaged games results show that Sega benefits from a slightly slimmer line-up at retail. The publisher released 16 titles in the first half of its current fiscal year, whereas it published 21 in the same six month period a year ago. Despite a smaller release slate, the publisher sold 8.65 million units during the six months, up from 4.65 million copies year-on-year.

This is thanks primarily to the strength of Sonic Mania, which the company proudly declared has the highest Metascore the series has seen for the past 15 years. It also highlighted Total War: Warhammer 2 as a key launch and sales driver.

They don't release exact sales figures, but you have to expect that releasing at $15 ($20 now, with Plus), along with the increased buzz around the game, it had to have better penetration than your average Sonic game.

I don't know if I'd say Sonic is any worse off now than he was, say, six years ago, when Sonic Lost World launched. Sonic Team continues to be Sonic Team (read: a nebulous blob, constantly baffling) and I feel like brand awareness is stronger now than it has been in a really long time. That counts for something.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i don't believe sonic as a brand is dying any time soon but i absolutely believe sonic team as a developer has gotta be close

Cogniferous

Oct 27, 2017
England
SEGA said at the time if Sonic Mania could have been counted towards the UK game chart, it would have been number one by a large margin. It sold well, so well SEGA kept tacking Forces onto the success of the Sonic brand that year, despite that games sales being disappointing.

Rurouni

Dec 25, 2017
Yeah, I've noticed this gen that Sega have been spreading more attention to other franchises than before compared to previous gens where their reliance on Sonic was pretty evident.

We know that they had prototypes after Generations that were physics based and NOT a rehash of the boost formula, but obviously none of those got approved or turned out.
Source?

Honestly imo, the only path forward is for Sega to outright outsource a mainline project straight to Nintendo with next to no input.
Nintendo doesn't have experience with handling something like 3D Sonic though.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think sonic is dying. Its character design is too strong.

It cant sell shit products too good anymore. Now if they cant turn ot around, death will come. But for right now folks will but a good sonic product. They just won't buy a bad one

ckareset

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Yeah, I've noticed this gen that Sega have been spreading more attention to other franchises than before compared to previous gens where their reliance on Sonic was pretty evident.

Source?

Nintendo doesn't have experience with handling something like 3D Sonic though.
I don't actually think 3d sonic is as difficult as Sega has made it.

Boost gameplay is hard to make because of how fast it is, but you can't tell me they couldn't make Adventure 1 or 2 speed stages (or even heroes). Seriously polish it up and go to work.

ckareset

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I dont think sonic is dying. Its character design is too strong.

It cant sell shit products too good anymore. Now if they cant turn ot around, death will come. But for right now folks will but a good sonic product. They just won't buy a bad one
Why would it's character design be relevant. I think Sonic can survive as a brand sure, but I just don't see the 3d games surviving at this rate.