• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Shadow a bunch in SA2. Then they brought him back and he's ambiguously a clone with no purpose. And then he was kinda just there for a while. And then they ripped away any ounce of having a continuity or world building from the series, but Shadow's still there cause you can't not have him. So basically he's mishandled and I don't much care for him ever since he became more of a symbol than a person.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
These characters "purpose" is to make money. Focusing on that is missing the Forrest for the trees. They continue to exist because people pay money, and like theme enough to do so. You have characterization gripes, fine. That's a different issue though.

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Here's art for movie Sonic from the Puyopuyo gacha game.

EUFLx5RWoAAwdlH

Old_King_Coal

Nov 1, 2017
I recently finished reading through every single comic in the main Archie series and Sonic Universe. What a ride. Having now read Archie, Fleetway and IDW (so far), it's been fun to see all the different ways of interpreting the same source material.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Has Sonic 3 and Knuckles always felt slower and a bit...jittery when it comes to frame rate? Playing a rom of it and i compared it to stand alone Sonic 3 wich i feel run alot smoother. Have not played theese games since Mania released.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Infinite is a cool villain. There, I said it.
I think he had a lot of potential and they almost accidently wrote a very unique and compelling villain , but I can't say he's cool as is. I wouldn't mind if they took another swing. Focus on shadow angle maybe get rid of the ruby and just have be some guy who keeps augmenting himself to get better. You could have a genuinely unique and interesting bad guy in sonic.
He could be like a sonic combination of lex luthor and Deathstroke if they did it right, lot of potential.

lot more potential than the d6 imo.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Has Sonic 3 and Knuckles always felt slower and a bit...jittery when it comes to frame rate? Playing a rom of it and i compared it to stand alone Sonic 3 wich i feel run alot smoother. Have not played theese games since Mania released.
It shouldn't feel any different, no. S&K's engine is mostly the same as S3's version, with some small optimizations and bugfixes (and a few new bugs in their place). Sonic 3 AIR's the best way to play the game these days, in any case.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
So how do we think Sonic's personality was in the movie? I think he was kinda too immature and his obsession with friends/loneliness was eh as Sonic is kind of a loner

Village

Oct 25, 2017
So how do we think Sonic's personality was in the movie? I think he was kinda too immature and his obsession with friends/loneliness was eh as Sonic is kind of a loner
Sonics personality in film was interesting. Personally I have wanted sonic as a person to move more in a dork direction and that was it. It works well and he comes of ernest and not needlessly snarky. I think his personality is one of the few things from the film I enjoy. And i hope sega takes notes on that.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
He feels like the thirteen year old shaped exclusively by movies and television that he is. Definitely a little younger and less mature than his game counterpart, but give him a couple years of scraps with Eggman and getting to actually talk to people and he'd get there.

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
I actually really appreciate they wrote Sonic to be a little younger. It feels like they've been secretly pushing Sonic's age up and up and up without ever really nailing down what it originally was. Some media said he was 15, some 16 or even 17, but I don't think he's ever actually acted like a kid a whole lot. It was a fresh change of pace from "nebulous age where he's old enough to have responsibilities but he's somehow not an adult."

(I think some previews for Sonic Generations even said characters were celebrating Sonic's actual 20th birthday in the game)

I was saying it on Twitter, but I think Sonic's personality in the movie is it's entire saving grace. James Marsden is vanilla ice cream and Jim Carrey is trying really hard to do a Jim Carrey impersonation (circa 1998). Neither are especially great, and the movie's paced too quickly to really give anyone any kind of depth. Sonic is the one we learn the most about, he's the movie's emotional core, and DragonSJG is right -- he is a loner, and I appreciate that they give him a reason to be a loner, and give him a reaction to being a loner. A friendly guy without anyone to be friendly with. It works.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Count me as someone who also enjoyed Sonic's personality in the film, I really like that they took "annoying" aspects about him from the games and created a logical backstory as to why he would act like that while also making those traits more endearing. He's obsessed with friends because he spent his whole life without any, he constantly talks because he never had anyone to talk to.

Speaking of the movie, I was very surprised to see that this was not an April Fool's joke:

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Speed Battle getting effectively rebranded into being the real Sonic Forces is still funny.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil

You know, I'm not super fan of the hyper-realism of the CG characters in the movie (and I know it wouldn't look any other way) and even though Longclaw is the only character made exclusively for that world, I do find her much better with a more cartoonsh artstyle... she's not even an antro owl, but still looks so much better here imo

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Why does it seem like the Sonic series' been tryin' to get an Owl character in since the Archie comics and OVA days?

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
This Longclaw is probably a step up from getting something that would look like Storm the Albatross with horn like feather tufts
You also forgot that among the "sonic tries owls" lineup, we also have concept art lyric.

sonic-boom-lyric-4.jpg

too good for that game, he's safer on the cutting room floor

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I knew the echidnas in the movie were a reference to Adventure 1 but I never realized this one was just straight up Pachacamac.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That turtle scene was fantastic and I'm glad it made it in. The audience at my showing loved it. It looks like it might've replaced a blander sequence of Sonic just running down the highway.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
Started watching the Sonic and the Shiny Things marathon on GDQ's Twitch stream, and I want to replay some of the older Sonic games. What are the preferred versions?

Sonic 1 and 2 - Retro Engine on Android(or emulate Android on PC)? Switch?
Sonic 3 - Sonic 3 AIR?
Sonic CD - Retro Engine on PC?

I kinda wish there were more definitive versions of each game. To dream a little, I'd love to see upgraded versions of some of the other 2D Sonic games (Advance or Rush series, Game Gear games, etc).

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked Shadow a bunch in SA2. Then they brought him back and he's ambiguously a clone with no purpose. And then he was kinda just there for a while. And then they ripped away any ounce of having a continuity or world building from the series, but Shadow's still there cause you can't not have him. So basically he's mishandled and I don't much care for him ever since he became more of a symbol than a person.
Shadow should just be the dude constantly forced to team up with Sonic but hates it, comically so, but everyone loves hanging with him and Sonic is always cracking joke and Shadow goes "UGH I HAVE TO HELP YOU DEFEAT THIS BUT AFTER THIS WE'RE NEVER TALKING AGAIN!!!"

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Started watching the Sonic and the Shiny Things marathon on GDQ's Twitch stream, and I want to replay some of the older Sonic games. What are the preferred versions?

Sonic 3 - Sonic 3 AIR?

I kinda wish there were more definitive versions of each game. To dream a little, I'd love to see upgraded versions of some of the other 2D Sonic games (Advance or Rush series, Game Gear games, etc).
For 1 and 2, The retro engine versions are probably the best if you have some way of running them. The original releases got pulled by Sega at some point and they're no longer compatible with later versions of Android, but emulators might be an option. Otherwise the AGES versions are pretty good, though missing some of the stuff that the Retro versions have (like playable Knuckles and Tails in Sonic 1, Tails's flight in 2).

For 3, look no further than AIR, and for CD the Retro version is really your only modern option.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Android version of Sonic CD (Retro) got some additional minor fixes the PC and consoles didn't get, so that's arguably the best version of that too.

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017

Sonic 3 - Sonic 3 AIR?

That sounds mostly right to me. I don't like using Bluestacks to emulate Android on PC usually, though. In my experience, it introduces a slight amount of input latency (due to the way you have to configure translating controller buttons in to virtual touch screen taps). It's not unplayable, but it's enough to throw me off every now and then.

That being said, in January or February Bluestacks got an update and apparently redid their controller support, so maybe it's better now. I haven't done any testing. I think it routes controllers through Android's native controller support now, so there's no need to translate button presses anymore on some games.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017

One of the things I adored about Sonic 3K is that it took what was essentially a bonus mode and made it a meta plot when they really didn't need to. I didn't notice the skyline changing my first time playing as Knuckles because I stayed on the bottom path but later you start to notice all the little changes the developers made to the stages to reflect that they were being traversed after Sonic & Tails went through them. They could have gone further but they did enough to help sell that aspect. I'm surprised more people aren't aware of it.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
The Android version of Sonic CD (Retro) got some additional minor fixes the PC and consoles didn't get, so that's arguably the best version of that too.

Yeah. I don't begrudge anyone preferring to play Sonic CD with the Sonic 2 spindash physics, but I'm a bit of a purist. On the PC and console versions if you try to play with the original spin dash then the air speed cap is implemented incorrectly, and you can't actually gain speed with the speed shoes properly.

(FWIW, I feel similarly about most of the changes in Android Sonic 1; I don't think they improve the experience, really.)

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
In Sonic Mania, is there any point to collecting blue spheres after mach 3? What does bonus do?

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine felt like a miracle, because it's a rebranded game that has the privilege of being acknowledged by both Sonic and Puyo Puyo series, which is incredibly rare for a rebranded game, and it's even rarer for said game to still be acknowledged to this very day. As an example, Sonic Mania has a Puyo Puyo mode that specifically called back to that game ("Mean Bean"), whilst a Puyo Puyo Champions article listed Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine as part of its (English) game timeline. This is in direct contrast to Kirby's Avalanche, as neither Kirby nor Puyo Puyo care to acknowledge, which is interesting since Kirby especially loves thoroughly referencing its past. It's typically understandable as justified since both properties are from different parent companies.

If there's a game where a rebranded version and the original version are both well-received, I would love to know about it, especially a modern example.

Thank you for reading.