• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Merry Chrimbus, Sonic fans!

tumblr_pj87ej5Pu31s9pusko1_400.gif

tumblr_nzkl64yq7k1sxudx7o1_500.gif

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the numerous crossovers that IDW does with DC, I REALLY want a Batman or Justice League crossover.

I need to see a page with Shadow and Jason Todd being edgy together.

The outlaws were hella team dark-ish for a hot minute.

Sonic characters in DC land would be legit funny though.

When's the Knuckles and Wonder woman issue
you'll get your image comic crossover again, and you'll like it
I'll pass on that , hehe

I dunno Shadow's been less edgy these past couple of comic series @_@

Not really? As much as I hate issue 6... and I hate it ... a lot. Its him trying to murder someone. And in the archie sonic universe books, he was like the only person to legit had a " shade of gray villain " . So nah , he's as edgy as ever. Heck, a bit to my dismay he might actually be edgier in IDW. Now, worse written... that's an argument that could be made in regards to the IDW one, I think sonic universe had some of the best writing for all the characters period. Hopefull there's a new book that happens that allows for a simular situation , or like temp miniseries I geuss. Or Perms if money permits.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017

We're gonna wind up getting this entire soundtrack on Youtube before the game actually comes out.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Several parts of the song sound like they're blatantly trying to call back to "Live & Learn" and a few parts remind me of "What I'm Made Of", too.

It's not bad, but it doesn't stand out on its own, at least not at the moment. Maybe I'll like it more when the game comes out.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Several parts of the song sound like they're blatantly trying to call back to "Live & Learn" and a few parts remind me of "What I'm Made Of", too.

It's not bad, but it doesn't stand out on its own, at least not at the moment. Maybe I'll like it more when the game comes out.

Yeah basically my thoughts as well, I keep expecting him to bust out into "LIVE AND LEAAAARN!!" at the 55 second mark. Not a bad song but feels too derivative to be something truly special. I'm still glad to have Crush 40 back though.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017

At 0:43, the melody reminds me of the part of Live and Learn where the lyrics go, "But you can hardly swallow". Hope I'm explaining myself clearly enough with that poor explanation. haha

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
It sounds like a song that would be on one of their not-Sonic albums
Yeah basically my thoughts as well, I keep expecting him to bust out into "LIVE AND LEAAAARN!!" at the 55 second mark. Not a bad song but feels too derivative to be something truly special. I'm still glad to have Crush 40 back though.
At 0:43, the melody reminds me of the part of Live and Learn where the lyrics go, "But you can hardly swallow". Hope I'm explaining myself clearly enough with that poor explanation. haha

Agree completely.

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm being honest I think the time for that kind of Sonic music has came and went. Open Your Heart, Live and Learn, and What I'm Made Of were all bops but it's been time to move on for a looooooong time now

Rurouni

Dec 25, 2017
Nah, can't really agree. Maybe the track could be better but I'm still a sucker for Crush 40 content.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I've got no issue with them being back but I'd agree that it's really inconsistent with the style of music we've heard from TSR so far, on top of being a kind of meh track.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I think the track sounds kinda of limp, derivative , and is relying on you thinking is quality of basis of " Do you remember the crush 40 sonic songs " the degree in which it almost sounds like one of if not the most famous ones ( Though to be fair limp, derivative , and is relying on you thinking is quality of basis of nostalgia is ... the origin of a lot of sonic's issues nowadays. So I guess its par for the course ) That said more crush 40 in future would be ok, though I would like them to experiment with the sonic music more.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What do we even want out of the next title? They've thrown so much stuff at the wall over the years that I have no desires aside from it being a competent game

OP
OP
Professor Beef

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
What do we even want out of the next title? They've thrown so much stuff at the wall over the years that I have no desires aside from it being a competent game
As much as I love boost gameplay, it's clear that they've just slowly forgotten how to do it well. It disgusts me, but I think a regular 3D platformer is what needs to come next.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California

If Sonic Team is capable of listening to feedback andthe level designers that worked on Generations aren't busy, another boost title could work. I mean, the gameplay style worked brilliantly in Unleashed and Generations. It's still so odd how badly they flubbed it in Forces. I think at this point most people have lost faith in the boost formula though, and I don't really blame them.

As much as I love boost gameplay, it's clear that they've just slowly forgotten how to do it well. It disgusts me, but I think a regular 3D platformer is what needs to come next.

If Forces wasn't a odd stumble and the current people working on 3D Sonic simply can't make the boost gameplay work well, then yeah I'd prefer something different. At this point, trying to bring Sonic's gameplay from Adventure 1/2/06 wouldn't be the worst decision. It'd have to be updated to have better physics, more open level design, and be a million times more polished, but it could be done and it may even be less time consuming to make a game like that than another boost game with massive levels.

Whatever ends up happening, I hope it isn't open world bs.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I personallywant 2d sonic in 3d

No more boost

But if its boost atleast be generations quality

Maybe an adventure remake
If Sonic Team is capable of listening to feedback andthe level designers that worked on Generations aren't busy, another boost title could work. I mean, the gameplay style worked brilliantly in Unleashed and Generations. It's still so odd how badly they flubbed it in Forces. I think at this point most people have lost faith in the boost formula though, and I don't really blame them.

If Forces wasn't a odd stumble and the current people working on 3D Sonic simply can't make the boost gameplay work well, then yeah I'd prefer something different. At this point, trying to bring Sonic's gameplay from Adventure 1/2/06 wouldn't be the worst decision. It'd have to be updated to have better physics, more open level design, and be a million times more polished, but it could be done and it may even be less time consuming to make a game like that than another boost game with massive levels.

Whatever ends up happening, I hope it isn't open world bs.
I wanna play as other characters

Maybe we'll get a franken-game that incorporates Boost and Adventure mechanics. I also fear an open world take, but at the same time, I'm morbidly curious.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I want level design back, it's nice that Forces was a surprisingly polished feeling title with no filler, just a shame that they forgot how to make stages

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic seems to be fully under the control and direction of the Sonic Pillar team within SoA at this point, in keeping with Sega's stated goal of organizing IP development under particular regions. I'm not sure if we should even expect any more games out of CS2.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Happy New Year!
Here's to another year of neat Sonic fan games and games inspired by work on fanprojects!

EDIT: "Eat my Ultimate Lifeform dust!" needs to be in the game.

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Happy new year!!

Let's us suffer together with the movie and the possibility of a terrible Sonic Adventure remake. And have at least a little hope too. Maybe the next 3D game will be awesome! Or we have Mania 2!! Or hell, Rush style game, I dunno.

My point is that I have no fucking clue what the fuck Sonic Team is going to do next and that excites and worries me at the same time.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Happy new year!!

Let's us suffer together with the movie and the possibility of a terrible Sonic Adventure remake. And have at least a little hope too. Maybe the next 3D game will be awesome! Or we have Mania 2!! Or hell, Rush style game, I dunno.

My point is that I have no fucking clue what the fuck Sonic Team is going to do next and that excites and worries me at the same time.

This has been the status quo for who-knows-how-long.

Might get a Generations. Might get an 06. Endless possibilities.

Terranort

Oct 27, 2017
I just want them to stop changing formulas every Tuesday in a misguided attempt at not making the brand "stale", just find a gameplay style that works and build off on it. Mario can do it, so why does Sonic have to be such a special little snow flake that he needs to change every two seconds?

/rant

Oct 25, 2017
I just want them to stop changing formulas every Tuesday in a misguided attempt at not making the brand "stale", just find a gameplay style that works and build off on it. Mario can do it, so why does Sonic have to be such a special little snow flake that he needs to change every two seconds?

/rant
I feel like I've been reading thousands of variations of this rant since I first typed "Sonic the Hedgehog" into the GameFAQs forum search as a kid in like 2003

At this point I can't bring myself to care anymore lol. The only 3D game I actually have strong positive feelings toward is Sonic Adventure 1 so if they do decide to remake it I'd be interested. If it looks like trash I won't buy it. Sonic doesn't get the benefit of the doubt for me anymore.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I actually read a Sonic comic since the latest doodad was cheap on comixology.
Kinda felt like four or five issues of "it's nothing" but the art was nice.

Was not expecting something to effectively carry on from Forces canon.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I actually read a Sonic comic since the latest doodad was cheap on comixology.
Kinda felt like four or five issues of "it's nothing" but the art was nice.

Was not expecting something to effectively carry on from Forces canon.

To be fair, it didn't really do anything with that.

They either avoided it or it was background noise.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand, nothing kind of happens really and is hella telegraphed. Hopefully things get more interesting in future

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I read the first... nine? issues of the IDW Sonic comic and found it very... light. Like 80-90% action/banter and 10% actual plot. I like Ian's banter, at the very least, but there's nothing to really anchor anything. He'd sneak something interesting in every now and then (like Sonic confronting Shadow about having no forgiveness even though everyone forgave Shadow) but it's a little too popcorn.

Did y'all hear that apparently Ian confirmed on his podcast that Sonic Team doesn't want the Archie Freedom Fighters back? I might be misremembering the details but I think I'd heard that he said Archie kept using them through a loophole in an old licensing contract, but since that licensing contract doesn't extend to IDW, Sonic Team would rather they stay out.

Certainly shines new implications on the Archie Freedom Fighters getting more "Sega-fied" redesigns a couple years before the comic got canceled.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I read the first... nine? issues of the IDW Sonic comic and found it very... light. Like 80-90% action/banter and 10% actual plot. I like Ian's banter, at the very least, but there's nothing to really anchor anything. He'd sneak something interesting in every now and then (like Sonic confronting Shadow about having no forgiveness even though everyone forgave Shadow) but it's a little too popcorn.

Did y'all hear that apparently Ian confirmed on his podcast that Sonic Team doesn't want the Archie Freedom Fighters back? I might be misremembering the details but I think I'd heard that he said Archie kept using them through a loophole in an old licensing contract, but since that licensing contract doesn't extend to IDW, Sonic Team would rather they stay out.

Certainly shines new implications on the Archie Freedom Fighters getting more "Sega-fied" redesigns a couple years before the comic got canceled.

In order, I think the amount of plot varies ? Like the last few issues of the year had a lot more plot going because story had actually culminated into something. Light is a good way to describe it.

I actually found that shadow interaction a bit bad because... shadow doesn't care? Or He shouldn't care? This gets into my issue with the book really.

The whole instance doesn't feel natural? It feels like the result of ian, not having enough time to write a story and maybe shadow not even supposed to be in the story at that part but someone wanted him to write a shadow story and he just cobbled one together out of loose edges and motorcycle parts. Its kind of rushed, it needed more time in the oven, nothing happens and nothing matters? And for me personally its a pretty bad take on shadow and his whole deal. And I feel that way about a few characters, I kinda feel like everyone introduced after amy really had enough time to get into like stories that show you who they are. Universe did this really well, you had to stick with these shits for 4 months and deal with a whole full plot. You got a good sense of who they were and their value. And you don't get that here, even sonic himself seems... kinda pointless?

I feel like Ian was able to tell a better version of this story in sonic universe, with everyone acting like themselves because he had 4 issues to work with. And a lot of my issues with the book it feels like a lot of the book should be smaller stories that need to be given more time , but aren't and end up meaningless. Like that whole metal sonic thing at the end... just... I dunno... it just fucking happened. Like it doesn't feel like he has enough time to tell a decent story with these characters, at least the stories he's trying to tell. Maybe he needs to try other stories with the format he has now? But he has bosses and stuff so it ain't that simple.

As for the Sonic Team thing, yeah there was a loophole that allowed them to use the characters for so long and Sega may have wanted them gone in the reboot, and its speculated that they got changed up so they could make sega happy by making them at least look like the characters they actually want to advertise. A lot of people are asking for the Freedom fighters back, but I don't think that's happening, and it seems like Sega wanted them gone a long ass time ago. In that same podcast Ian makes a very obvious point, but a good one. Sega likes to keep their spin off materials, separate. Outside of miscellaneous things they take fancy to , like chili-dogs, shadow's inhibitor rings, and possibly the entire premise of sonic forces, generally you don't see things pop back up because sega likes to keep those things seperate. The continued use of those characters being a loophole fits right into that.

If you think about the format of what the comic is , and Ian specifying that sega specifically sonic team has more effect on individual character dialog might be a direct response to some of the worse elements of the previous comic. While I do think sega should trust Ian and crew a bit more, at the same time the dark period of that comic is so bad... i understand their concern.

Nearly every character Archie made was trash-tier. The IDW comics not having them is definitely a plus.

This is factual. I can understand sega not wanting characters from a dead cartoon and spin offs of those characters , not relevant to their branding being the face for their sonic book.

Last edited: