• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They need to focus on getting Sonic to be fun to manoeuvre in a 3D space . Have more open environments and momentum based physics in a 3D environment that work. Grt those controls and physics right and make it fun to move around in a 3D space Then build a game from there.
Now thats easier said than done, however, I do believe it is possible, as shown by Sonic Utopia.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, but I don't get why people keep referring to Lost World as a starting step. Imo they should be starting from scratch or at least trying to rebuild Utopia or Adventure 1's movement mechanics. Lost World felt really stiff to me and even after being the game I still felt like I had very little handle on the controls. I don't know what's to be gained from using it as the base for a new system.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I actually don't remember the difference between it and Generations' boost. I remember it looked a lot nicer (actually learned yesterday that they had a more detailed model for the aura effect than in Gens) and I want to say it was a bit faster- was there more to it than that?
It removed a lot of Sonic's precision as a tradeoff for that speed. In Generations Sonic still handles pretty similarly in and out of boost.

You didn't want to spend a whole level boosting in Unleashed because you'd miss out on potential speed from the level gimmicks elsewhere, or lose your ability to do any precision platforming (however little platforming there was to do in Unleashed daytime levels, anyway).

Drifting was also completely different, but that can stay buried.

Last edited:

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it felt like there wasnt much of a difference, no opportunity cost of boosting vs not-boosting, learning the levels so you know when to hold down the button and when to pump the brakes. You might as well just constantly boost, which defeats the point of the system in the first place(maximum speed/badnik invulnerably trade-off for precision movements and stability).

Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
I actually don't remember the difference between it and Generations' boost. I remember it looked a lot nicer (actually learned yesterday that they had a more detailed model for the aura effect than in Gens) and I want to say it was a bit faster- was there more to it than that?
Boost and homing attack were same button in Unleashed, the way IMO it should be.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It removed a lot of Sonic's precision as a tradeoff for that speed. In Generations Sonic still handles pretty similarly in and out of boost.

You didn't want to spend a whole level boosting in Unleashed because you'd miss out on potential speed from the level gimmicks elsewhere, or lose your ability to do any precision platforming (however little platforming there was to do in Unleashed daytime levels, anyway).

Drifting was also completely different, but that can stay buried.
Ah, okay. Interesting. I played Unleashed last year but was leveling up the Werehog first so I didn't notice the difference.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so sonic forces actually does something really interesting which is the air boost, and its only used in any interesting way with levels with some vertical. I don't think sonic should have it per say , but I think it could be a genuinely interesting navigational tool , if they were to design 3d levels for multiple levels of navigation. I would like to see being able to switch to another character and that character having an air boost things like that.

Oct 25, 2017
Unleashed's drift is too wide, but Generations' is way too sharp. Some kind of middle ground would be nice because honestly I suck ass at both and prefer the Unleashed one slightly because it at least makes a little more sense to me.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone cares, sonic boom season 2 finalle happened.

It was pretty cool, its flaws are pretty apparent. They make joke about needing catalysts for the plot, along with like almost giving shadow a character then throwing it away to pad out the plot. And I mean if you are in season 2 already making jokes about how you can't write complete plots , in multiple episodes. That doesn't exactly bode well for a hypothetical season 3, what are you gonna do, make jokes about not having a joke to make? Not gonna go into a sonic boom rant here, but their just lack of willingness to try being apparent in their script or general uncreativeness being visible on screen is a gripe I generally have with the show.

Regardless it was pretty cool. Metal sonic does a cool thing, he just copies everyone's abilities, if metal sonic didn't have that power before... he kind of should. Or maybe create a T2 terminator style robot who can just copy peoples abilities and looks in a robotic way. I dunno, I thought it was a cool idea. The animation got a bit better, not all the way but like a bit. Eggman is quite funny, and shadow bodies all of team sonic. Also the in weird ass way shit on infinite entire narrative in sonic forces. I don't think that was intentional, but infinite's motivation is done better and played for jokes in the episode and it just points out how goofy and bad infinite's character ended up being sonic forces and the comic. Really weird timing on that

Dunno if there will be a season 3, kinda seems sorta done. Unless they got more boom games plannet

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic Boom has its good or funny moments, but no single episode is thoroughly or consistently good/great for its entire runtime. It feels hard to even say if the highs got any higher in the second season. They definitely tried more interesting things, but as you kinda said Village, it's like they don't really commit to doing a story sincerely the whole way through. It's almost the same issue with the story/writing in the games; it's self-aware to the point of its detriment. There's always one moment where they have to wink and nudge the audience, they can't just be in their own world for one whole outing and do a straight beginning-middle-end story. It's like they're trying to do Teen Titans Go (with its varying silliness and episodes about real estate sprinkled in) but always tap out just short of going all the way with an idea. Only time they did carry an idea through was the Robots from the Sky 4-part arc.

also here's this

Village

Oct 25, 2017
You hit the nail on the head, I think season 2 is a bit better but not by much but yeah. They never feel like they want to finish anything good, nothing ever comes out interesting. They do an idea and then just kind of give up and end up doing the most generic version of the idea and its unsatisfying. And I agree about the games, I don't mind things being a bit self aware with their sillyness, but if its too self aware it means its aware of its flaws and its actively not trying to correct them.
As far as games go in general I would like something more of the tone, of the reboot of archie, but the plot of the universe series. Something that can be genuinely funny, but can take itself seriously when it needs to and be in its own world. I often found the archie comics much funnier than the boom cartoon, well the ones that were trying to be funny at least. Comedic pacing and actual narrative structure will go a long way.

Like this two parter is a prime example of them obviously not caring or knowing how to end a story, and then just.... creating another story to end a story and pad out a plot for like two episodes. You can see the potential and then, nothing.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
SonicERA are we allowed to do SonicERA drunkERA posts? Cuz I'm drunk and I love Sonic so I wanna do that. Shrug emoji (emojis don't work on ERA yet hopefully soon). I'm at a bar with my gf's and super homies and I'm wearing those Nike Airs that look like Sonic shoes. Should I post a pic? I can but idk too lazy rn. Sonic Adventure is so good. And S3&K. Those are my two faves. I love them so much my guys. I finally played the Windy Valley beta for the first time ever and idk why I waited so long, it's fuckin great dudes. Play it if you haven't yet. Lots of slopes. Slopes are rad. Alright I'm in the bathroom and don't wanna keep people waiting too long bye but I love you guys and also Sonic pls love SA1 it's great and misunderstood. Wave emoji

Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
I double-dipped on my GOTY today so I got to thinking, what is the most copies of a Sonic game that you own?

I own 4 copies of Sonic 06, 2 copies of Unleashed (360), 4 copies of Christian Whitehead's Sonic CD, 3 copies of Sonic Advance 2 as far as my duplicates go to the best of my memory...

And yes, I'm tempted to get a 3rd copy of GOTY.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I double-dipped on my GOTY today so I got to thinking, what is the most copies of a Sonic game that you own?

I own 4 copies of Sonic 06, 2 copies of Unleashed (360), 4 copies of Christian Whitehead's Sonic CD, 3 copies of Sonic Advance 2 as far as my duplicates go to the best of my memory...

And yes, I'm tempted to get a 3rd copy of GOTY.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
I have 5 copies of Sonic Mania. 2 for me, 2 for my friends, and 1 for my nieces.

Last edited:

Village

Oct 25, 2017
sWfAlnf.gif

This was weird, but practical

Village

Oct 25, 2017

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Dunno about you peeps, but I like Sonic Forces, then again I am usually easy going towards simple games, long as they're short.
I'd say it is among my top 10 3D Sonic games.

Oct 28, 2017
Dunno about you peeps, but I like Sonic Forces, then again I am usually easy going towards simple games, long as they're short.
I'd say it is among my top 10 3D Sonic games.
Adventure, Adventure 2, Heroes, 06, Secret Rings, Unleashed, Black Knight, Colours, Generations, Lost World, Boom, Forces.

I count 12 games. And that's including non main series titles. Top 10 isn't exactly high praise lol.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Adventure, Adventure 2, Heroes, 06, Secret Rings, Unleashed, Black Knight, Colours, Generations, Lost World, Boom, Forces.

I count 12 games. And that's including non main series titles. Top 10 isn't exactly high praise lol.
I'll be able to give it a proper ranking some time next year once I play through the 3D games. I WAS gonna say top 5, but that's something that I can only discern once I've gone through the other titles.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I was actually very disappointed today to find that Sonic Forces still hadn't been traded into my local exchange so I could use my voucher on it, gosh darn it, it's three hours long and aggressively mediocre and people still haven't sold it on?!