• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You want a deep cut reference track? Turn the Aurora Icefield stage from Sonic the Fighters into a racetrack

or Battle Highway from Battle (even though it's basically Radical Highway during the day, shut up tho)

Oct 25, 2017
I won't rest until the first board of Sonic Shuffle gets turned into a full-fledged icy beach hybrid level. I'd be fine if it's for this game!

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
- Press Garden
Two Mania levels are kind of pushing it, but just imagine a racetrack combining the industrial setting of Act 1 with a transition into the wintry tranquility of Act 2. Based off of SART's track design, I could really see Sumo pulling it off.
For similar reasons, I was dying to see Lava Reef show up back when Generations' stage list was a mystery. Didn't get it then, but my thirst has not abated.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I think they will mostly reuse assets from other 3D Sonic games in the past 10 years for the majority of courses. I could see stuff like Space Colony ARK and Stardust Speedway Zone making it in with help from their assets in Generations too, so that could be cool. I would LOVE to see unique stuff like levels from 8bit games (Sunset Park Zone would be insanely cool) or maybe zones from R or Spinball make it in, but I rather not think about it much now and hope they just surprise us.

IMO these are all locks:

Planet Wisp (already shown)
Chemical Plant Zone
Green Hill Zone (maybe the desert version as a second track?)
City Escape
Luminous Forest Zone (Forces)
Death Egg Zone (Forces)
Whatever that level from Colors and Transformed was called with the light bridges.
Sky Sanctuary Zone
Studiopolis Zone (this would be fully new, but this one just HAS to be in)

Sumo devs in the past have mentioned they are aware everyone is tired of Seaside Hill Zone so I feel confident it will not return.

Also I hope the final level is Eggmanland from Unleashed. It would be the perfect choice and has a lot they could work with.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
I think they will mostly reuse assets from other 3D Sonic games in the past 10 years for the majority of courses. I could see stuff like Space Colony ARK and Stardust Speedway Zone making it in with help from their assets in Generations too, so that could be cool. I would LOVE to see unique stuff like levels from 8bit games (Sunset Park Zone would be insanely cool) or maybe zones from R or Spinball make it in, but I rather not think about it much now and hope they just surprise us.

IMO these are all locks:

Planet Wisp (already shown)
Chemical Plant Zone
Green Hill Zone (maybe the desert version as a second track?)
City Escape
Luminous Forest Zone (Forces)
Death Egg Zone (Forces)
Whatever that level from Colors and Transformed was called with the light bridges.
Sky Sanctuary Zone
Studiopolis Zone (this would be fully new, but this one just HAS to be in)

Sumo devs in the past have mentioned they are aware everyone is tired of Seaside Hill Zone so I feel confident it will not return.

Also I hope the final level is Eggmanland from Unleashed. It would be the perfect choice and has a lot they could work with.

I think Green Hill and Chemical Plant are absolutely locks, unfortunately (like all of you, I love these levels but I just want something different). A stage from Mania is basically a lock and I'm sure we'll get at least Studiopolis.

I don't think any other stage is a lock though. We'll get some stuff from Forces but I don't think any single stage is a lock. Sumo might not bring back tracks from the All-Stars Racing titles either depending on if this game is reusing the same engine and if the karts control similarly enough (plus, we don't know how much the Wisps will affect the racing).

I'm hoping for a healthy mix with a bit of a lean towards the Dreamcast era simply because we see it less than Classic and Modern stuff currently.

I'd find it pretty hilarious if we got Seaside Hill again

I don't even really care for Sonic Battle or anything but I'd be more than down for seeing a cut this deep!

BeeKaine

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
We have to think about cups before stages. Is it 4 cups? A little more? How many stages per cup? Will they be ordered by game with the relevant difficulty spikes or will the difficulty of the stages determine the order.

In terms of courses I think we'll see largely what has already been in Generations and All-Star Racing, which already has overlap, plus Studiopolis and Sunset Heights (or Luminous Forest if Crisis City is coming back). Luckily that's only 9-10 courses so there may be more.

I hope that they branch out and pull from other series, even the Storybook games, because why not? It's all about Sonic now.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We have to think about cups before stages. Is it 4 cups? A little more? How many stages per cup? Will they be ordered by game with the relevant difficulty spikes or will the difficulty of the stages determine the order.

In terms of courses I think we'll see largely what has already been in Generations and All-Star Racing, which already has overlap, plus Studiopolis and Sunset Heights (or Luminous Forest if Crisis City is coming back). Luckily that's only 9-10 courses so there may be more.

I hope that they branch out and pull from other series, even the Storybook games, because why not? It's all about Sonic now.
Classic Cup
• Green Hill
• Chemical Plant
• Studiopolis
• Lava Reef

Adventure Cup
• City Escape
• Final Rush
• Bingo Highway
• Crisis City

Emerald Cup
• Rooftop Run
• Planet Wisp
• Sunset Hill
• Metropolis

Egg Cup
• Sky Deck/Egg Fleet
• Space Colony ARK/Cosmic Fall
• Death Egg/Egg Gate
• Eggmanland

Super Cup
• Press Garden
• Route 99
• Starlight Carnival
• Radiant Emerald (Sonic R)

Master Cup (unlockable)
• Sand Hill (Green Hill variant)
• Network Terminal (Chemical Plant variant)
• Milky Way (Sonic Drift 2, Egg Gate variant)
• Asteroid Coaster (Starlight Carnival variant)
• Terminal Velocity (secretly a Final Rush variant)

Also acceptible: Music Plant, Water Palace, Ice Cap, Windmille Isle, Dragon Road, Honeycomb Highway, Aquarium Park/Sea Bottom Segue, Tropical Resort, Tropical Coast, Silent Forest or Luminous Forest, Sandopolis or Desert Ruins

Last edited:

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I think we will probably get one level based on a bunch of classic SEGA arcade games, maybe the last one. I know Sumo prefers that stuff to general Sonic content at least, but I wonder if it would be designed similarly to Races of AGES or have some kind of styling like in the ones from the Sonic Riders games.

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
Grabbing a cleaner image

gXKwPqd.png

I don't think that's Gemerl. I don't know what it is, but I don't think it's him.

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I have no clue about what to expect of this game in character selection and tracks. I hope we can see at least a glimmer of gameplay before E3.

spindashing

Oct 25, 2017
Queens, New York
This week's issue was alright. It was a silly little twist to have Eggman deal with amnesia. Or at least make it seem like he did.

That motherfucker and his motherfucking friend showed up at the end and I am ready for the edge.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
The only tracks that have been confirmed are Planet Wisp, Aquarium Park, and some generic racing stadium(maybe).

Characters confirmed(or a lock by default) are Sonic, Shadow, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy, with an Eggpawn being a possible playable racer but also potentially just being an NPC.

I don't even care about the avatar stuff from Forces too much, but Sega/Sonic Team/Sumo is dumb af if they don't let you use your custom avatars you made in Forces.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Was Aquarium Park Zone actually revealed? I like the vibe of that level but I really am not a fan of much in Colors so I would be pretty disappointed with that.

No way is the OC getting in this beyond a background cameo, let alone customizations for them. Ignoring the fact that this will easily outsell and appeal to way more people than Forces did, that just would take up an insane amount of assets for such little in return. It ain't Sumo's style to do stuff like that. I do expect custom player stuff beyond the cars though. I am thinking the Chao Garden will be in this to some extent, personally.

I feel like the low character roster means big things to how interactive they are. I could see them having abilities where they get out of the car perhaps. I wonder if that were to be the case, would Robotnik be playable?

BeeKaine

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
I doubt they would have to do anymore for the Avatar than to port the models from the only 3D Sonic game on the PS4/Xbox One/Switch/PC.

It wouldn't be full customization; at best, a handful of preselects and at worst there's just the wolf model from the trailers.

If the game doesn't have any out there selections, like, uh, Gemerl, I expect to see the Avatar in just to have a character from a newer title.

I'm 90% sure the roster will be the cast from Forces (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Amy, Rouge, Espio, Vector, Charmy, and Silver) plus Dr. Eggman, Metal Sonic, Cream, and Blaze; that's already 14. Let's face it, if they wanted to go big, they'd have a bigger selection, but, who knows. Out of these I would bet Cream won't be in and the Chaotix will cut to one representative.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Never mind about Aquarium Park. A friend of mine said it was in and I believed him. Looks like it's just Planet Wisp that's actually confirmed. Still, wouldn't be too shocked if another Colors stage makes it in.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I doubt they would have to do anymore for the Avatar than to port the models from the only 3D Sonic game on the PS4/Xbox One/Switch/PC.
Sumo has never brought over models from different games for playable characters and from what I can see that is still the case here. Effectively all characters will have to be built from scratch with assistance from Sonic Team. I see no scenario where the Avatar would be a viable addition in that case.

I'm 90% sure the roster will be the cast from Forces (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Amy, Rouge, Espio, Vector, Charmy, and Silver) plus Dr. Eggman, Metal Sonic, Cream, and Blaze; that's already 14. Let's face it, if they wanted to go big, they'd have a bigger selection, but, who knows. Out of these I would bet Cream won't be in and the Chaotix will cut to one representative.
Yeah I think this is very likely going to be the general roster, probably with two surprises or so though. Maybe some more villians to spread out the team focus I guess?

I said it before but I really hope the Chaotix is one slot or like just Vector I guess. Seeing Charmy race by himself would be so infuriating.

Either way, another game without Nack. This is wack.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Tried playing Transformed again for the first time in quite awhile. Yeah, I am pretty happy the boating and flying are gone because they cause so many constant stupid frustrations. Also, god damn am I more bummed about this being a Sonic-only thing. I pretty much only want to play as Gilius Thunderhead, AiAi, Joe Musashi, Ryo Hazuki and to a lesser degree Metal Sonic. Seeing Amy and Shadow in Transformed already annoys the hell out of me so I cannot imagine how much someone like Silver or... Jet the Hawk would bother me.

Also please finally give us a no items mode or event. Pure skill racing is a must.

I could be wrong, but I just don't see Espio and Charmy being playable.
It is hard to say. Espio's unique and popular enough to make it in, but he does not really bring anything especially notable (especially not personality) to the roster like someone like Sticks would. If this game had 20+ characters I think he would be a lock though.

I could see Charmy and maaaaybe Cream being flag bearers this time, I suppose.

Rlan

Oct 27, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand
Still a lot of questions, like if each character is defined by a car like in previous games, or if every character can choose a different vehicle, ala Mario Kart 8. Transformed & ASR had their classes and so forth and required due to the transforming part.. but in a Sonic only game that's less needed.

Vector's basically a given because, like all Mario & Sonic games, you need a "heavy' character.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Still a lot of questions, like if each character is defined by a car like in previous games, or if every character can choose a different vehicle, ala Mario Kart 8. Transformed & ASR had their classes and so forth and required due to the transforming part.. but in a Sonic only game that's less needed.

Vector's basically a given because, like all Mario & Sonic games, you need a "heavy' character.
Based on the designs of what we have seen, I think characters are locked to their cars, but we can probably heavily customize aspects of them.

If only one Chaotix member gets in it will absolutely be Vector, but there are many more choices for large characters to pick from now. Zavok is a likely candidate especially considering he is a bad guy and that fits with the team focus.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Based on the designs of what we have seen, I think characters are locked to their cars, but we can probably heavily customize aspects of them.

If only one Chaotix member gets in it will absolutely be Vector, but there are many more choices for large characters to pick from now. Zavok is a likely candidate especially considering he is a bad guy and that fits with the team focus.
If I were a betting man, I'd say to expect him. All the characters in Speed Battle are probably the go-to cast for spinoffs now.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope there's a gallery or menu or something in TSR that uses an arrange of the Planet Wisp map music. I often forget about the map tracks from Colors despite really liking them, but when they come back to mind it's always a refreshing listen.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
You say that, but I know I will be Chaos 0-less once again come Winter.
Chaos is in the unusual place of not really being a thing, but being lucky enough to be part of the marketing for Forces to make it into the mobile spinoff even when the actual game totally botched him.

I sure hope he ends up part of the regular cast again, if nothing else. He's got no reason to be around, but neither do Blaze or Silver so...

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I hope there's a gallery or menu or something in TSR that uses an arrange of the Planet Wisp map music. I often forget about the map tracks from Colors despite really liking them, but when they come back to mind it's always a refreshing listen.

They actually managed to fit Starlight Carnival's Map Theme in for the pre-race intro for it's respective track in Transformed, so assuming those come back, that'd be perfect for it.

Scuttlefluff

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys, I just want to call attention to something pretty awesome and ground-breaking, in my eyes. Some of you may be aware of Sonic the Comic: Online, the fan continuation of the British (Fleetway) comics. Any dismissal as just another fanfic quickly disappears when a) the creators of the original comic occasionally contribute with their own stories and b) the sheer quality, design and personality of STCO is incredibly faithful and dedicated to the original work. Although I'm massively biased, because I used to help write it. ;)

Well....they just released issue #275, a landmark finale which also marks the final contribution of webmaster/writer/artist Michael Corker, who's literally been on the comic for well over a decade and was one of the founding members. To mark his departure and also as a celebration of the 25th anniversary of STC, he signs off with a huge 30+-page story with multiple artists, colourers and letterers contributing to his swansong.

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL

A few days ago the issue updated with the first of a two-parter written and drawn by two of the original staff when the comic saw print, Nigel Kitching and Nigel Dobbyn (too many Nigels!). In this issue they leap forward into the future where the war is long over.....and Amy Rose is a happily married gay woman! This aligns with many fan's head canon over the years and with a fair amount of LGBT staff on STCO and in the fandom over time, Mike among them.

STC Amy has long been a kickass feminist icon to her fans, usually displaying heroism and leadership qualities better than Sonic. Now she's the comic's, and maybe fandom's first LGBT character along with her wife Tekno.

Just thought I'd bring it to people's attention here in case they didn't know because it's a cool development. Read the issue here:

http://www.stconline.co.uk/comics/stc275/

275-06-fb.jpg
stc275

Last edited:

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Was listening to music, got hit with a song with a random ass aquatic Mine sample

On the topic of fleetway, that's neat? Not to be rude or anything but despite your uh... trying to make it seem official, I never really valued or liked the fleetway comics to see them more than just weird fanfiction that had horribly out of character versions of everyone involved that spawned in the EU. And to be fair, that's how I thought of the archie comics in the states until like, the reboot happened, or at least when Ian took over. So this just kind of registers as fanfiction, but its neat. I would like to see LGBTQ representation in the series proper and less weirdly placed sexism that only goes away when the game staff isn't writing ( funny that ). But this just seems like fanfiction. Maybe it will register more to someone who really liked those books, I never did. But its neat

Scuttlefluff

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Was listening to music, got hit with a song with a random ass aquatic Mine sample

On the topic of fleetway, that's neat? Not to be rude or anything but despite your uh... trying to make it seem official, I never really valued or liked the fleetway comics to see them more than just weird fanfiction that had horribly out of character versions of everyone involved that spawned in the EU. And to be fair, that's how I thought of the archie comics in the states until like, the reboot happened, or at least when Ian took over. So this just kind of registers as fanfiction, but its neat. I would like to see LGBTQ representation in the series proper and less weirdly placed sexism that only goes away when the game staff isn't writing ( funny that ). But this just seems like fanfiction. Maybe it will register more to someone who really liked those books, I never did. But its neat

Uh, you got me wrong, I'm not trying to make it 'official', just a legitimate continuation of the original print comic. All the comics exist in their own bubble, separate from what's going on the games - maybe that's why everyone seems out of character to you? You know how there's all these different interpretations of Batman? It's like that. Hope you understand that as someone who picked up issue 1 when I was 10 years old, back in 1993, the UK comics quickly became a huge deal to me and many others. 25 years of stories is maybe a little bit more than 'neat'?

Maybe posting it on a game forum was a bad idea, but regardless I thought it would be of interest to some fans here.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
STCO is something I'm aware of and respect as a huge passion project, but haven't ever poked my nose into.

Cool of Kitching to just go ahead and hook them up, though. STC went in pretty hard on blowing up the Amy/Sonic dynamic, so there was definitely room to make it happen.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Not to go too far in this, you are feeling good and i'm not gonna bog you down with rants, but

I'm familiar with different versions of characters, I read comics, actively. My favorite version of superman, well one of them is one that storts kryptonite like cocaine, to get stronger and is apart of a crime syndicate and his wife cheats on him with that universes batman surrogate. The reason I say wildly out of character, is that at a point, both archie and fleetway were supposed to be interpretations of the games characters. They were supposed to be wildly different , they were suppoused to be who those characters were in the games, and both comics after a point just went off a characterization deep end. To give a very plain example: there's a difference between sonic boom sonic and tails, versions of characters who share simularities were designed to be specifically different in mind and those characterizations being consistent to the world they are in, and that time in archie were sonic was a womanizer and literally used women for his personal gain and tails was a creepy ass nice guy. That was not the orginal intent of the media it just warped into that due to , in my opinion on both archie and fleetway, bad writing.

Its supposed to be a different version of the character only works to varying degrees depending on what you are doing, and both fleetway and archie for me had long past that point to which one litterally turned into fanfiction. And the other , had to be stopped by sega, who I mean given half the shit that had happened before, should have been stopped sooner. Archie Sonic upsets me in retrospect. I will leave it here before I start ranting about how evil super sonic was a dumb idea. Its so dumb.

And I dunno, its just neat to me. I'm sure some others in this thread will certainly care more but for me its just " Oh hey the fanfiction did the thing, that's neat ". Not to disparage your thing, you seem excited, i'm glad. Its just to me " hey that's neat "

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
I personally can't stand the EU Sonic comics or the fan continuation but it's nice that it still exists for those that are diehard for it.

Now, on a completely different topic: Which are your favorite item boxes throughout the series? There are so many designs to choose from...

I think I really love the kind used in SA2 (that originated in SA1, but I think was improved in SA2 by making them slightly smaller and something that Sonic can bounce off of).

Sa2_item_box_extra-life.png

Rlan

Oct 27, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand

Right now Shadow's car is a little too similar to Sonic's. He's previously had a pretty big difference in the last few racers.

Once we actually see a race, since there will be 15 characters and 12 in a race... we'll know most of the cast. Or they'll plot a Egg Pawn into every computer controlled player.