• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
A long time ago on a forum that is now much much worse, I posted a fan art. This fan art was of one of the few human interpetrations of the sonic characters that interested me, the artist updated it

Unfortunately Knuckles did not survive

This has been the case for me since 2013. I love Sonic Mania but everything else has left me pretty empty. I don't hate Lost World (on Wii U. I hated the 3DS version) or Forces, but they're both very lifeless when compared to the Sonic games we were getting from 1999-2011. Say what you will about the more the 2006-2008 period of Sonic, where bad and mediocre games were coming out left and right with only a couple good games inbetween, but at least most of them were interesting and had some amount of substance to them. I don't care about shitty mobile games with gacha elements and Sonic Boom didn't make me feel anything, so I've been way less active as a Sonic fan for years now. I don't think it's me growing up either. There's just less to digest now. Sonic Mania is the only sonic release since Generations to not only excite me, but get me back into the franchise in a big way.

I do hate lost world myself, but yeah its sort of lifeless? Like I hate the werehog, but I feel like that game tried to do something , had an idenity. Generations as its own thing as a celebration of sonic is fine, but I feel like a lot of sonic games are trying to celebrate sonic too much, or rather are just trying to use nostalgia imagery instead of being a good game. And forces and Lost world in particular makes the games worse by trying to invoke that. And nothing wrong with envoking nostalgia as a premise, but it helps to understand... why people liked those things. And it seems like no one at sonic team understands why a lot of folks like a lot of things about sonic. At least during the bad period they kind of got the characters , but now that's even gone. I'm also not a fan of those mobile games, and while I think sonic boom as its premise ( like separation of adventure elements spun off into its own thing ) its execution was bad in game format and in story and character design it was mostly generic, and an occasional good joke on an OK cartoon wasn't going to save that.

Sonic Mania didn't get me in the franchise a big way, but I appreciated it existed and it was a good game. And i'm not saying the future is, nothing but its really barren. Like the racing game exists, and that's neat. But the dialog thing they are pushing , so far is just.. filled with bad lines and ontop of that the voice acting isn't great. Rodger is... Rodgering, Kirk went back to his shit voice, Knuckles's VA isn't there , but hey maybe they will re-record lines and apperently there's like 5000+ so maybe they aren't all bad and hopefully the base game is fine and if push comes to shove I can just turn the dialog off. I mean that's bad consiering you dedicated so much time to it and it would end up being bad , but maybe its fine.

There's the comics, which are ok right now but need to get better to keep my interest. This is ontop of Ian basically saying Sega is more invovled with dialog , which gives me less hope on the character to character stuff. But maybe it will get better.

Otherwise.... there's kind of nothing. There's the movie , I guess?

Hopefully sonic's next 3d outing in the next generation isn't quite literally 1 bad video game

Last edited:

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_pk1psoD3Bn1rplhyso1_540.jpg

Coming out in March 2019 is the IDW Sonic the Hedgehog Annual! Featuring a cover drawn by Yuji Uekawa and a brand new story made by Evan Stanley and GigiDutreix!

wow

Oct 28, 2017
I want to replay Sonic Unleashed but the digital Xbox 360 version is region locked and I can't purchase it!!!! I really don't want to dig up my ancient fat PS3 which is where I have it. I'm so angry!!!!!!!

Kid Heart

Oct 25, 2017
That episode was adorable and easily the best one yet. If we get a sequel to Mania Amy just has to be in it.

Oct 28, 2017
Trip report: Plugged my PS3, still can't play Sonic Unleashed because I can't find the USB cable to recharge the DS3. I could use the DS4 but the USB cable is too long and heavy so it falls off easily.

Edit: Found one just now rummaging through an old bag full of legacy cables. It's Sonic time.............

Last edited:

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
For those of you who remember it, I finally put the Sonic 2006 Endurance Race for Charity stream archive up, six years later

As I wrote on tumblr:

The stream takes a while to get going, as one might assume. The first hour there is a lot of setup, as both Imran and I wake up, eat breakfast, sort out technical issues, etc. We do eventually get in to gameplay in that first video, but it takes a good 30 minutes.

Also, as I mention at the start of this video, this was technically a long time ago. Six years might not feel like THAT much, but it predates almost all of modern streaming culture entirely. In March of 2012, Twitch.tv was only nine months old (launched June 2011), and OBS did not even exist yet (launched September 2012). I was still running Windows XP, and in 800x600!

If the sound quality seems subpar or the video feeds are blurry, it's a testament to just how much streaming standards have grown by leaps and bounds in a few short years. I think both Imran and I were on a 1mbps upload here, and considering everything else, it's a miracle it looks and sounds as good as it does.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
I actually quite like this piece of fanart. It's like a mix of the early US style but with the more simplistic and stylish Japanese face. I hate how the early US box art for Sonic looked but this would have looked great.

Oct 28, 2017
On a similar token to that, I love this one that looks like an amalgamation of Hisashi Eguchi's (CD's animations) and Pierre DeCelles' (AoStH and SatAm) designs.

Village

Oct 25, 2017

The fun thing about this, or one of a few fun things is that this includes a rouge story. That's pretty neat, hopefully it tests well and she get her own books, by herself. As much as I think team dark is neat being attached by the hip isn't really good for any of em ( heck I don't think the team structure needs to really exist in the current sonic brand ) , and i think Shadow , Rouge and Omega could have better stories if they are allowed to seperate. And we can get a story starring a cool girl, doing things by herself and not shadow's glorified cheerleader like she often is in the comics. So that's cool, that's really cool. Hope that works out.

Also we aren't getting omega stories, but i can dream

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I've come seeking refuge and comfort. There is a thread where everyone is shitting on Sonic music. It started with just Sonic Colours and snowballed to shit on the music in the entire franchise. I feel personally attacked by this atrocity. Somebody hold me.

Oct 28, 2017
Endless Possibilities, His World (instrumental version), E-102's theme and Throw it all Away are some of the finest songs to grace the medium. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a war criminal.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I've come seeking refuge and comfort. There is a thread where everyone is shitting on Sonic music. It started with just Sonic Colours and snowballed to shit on the music in the entire franchise. I feel personally attacked by this atrocity. Somebody hold me.

It's just a bunch of people who have clearly never listened to any Sonic music besides the vocal themes. Feel free to tune them out, much like the people who tried the Genesis games once or twice, couldn't play them like a Mario game, and then decided that Classic Sonic was Never Really Good™.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I oersonally like the vocal songs *shrugs*

I love the vocal songs too, I know that they can be an acquired taste though so I understand if some folks don't like them. That said, it's obvious that people use them to judge entire soundtracks. I see plenty of "Seven Rings in Hand sucks" or "Reach for the Stars is annoying", I see far less talk about why Planet Wisp or Aquarium Park or Let the Speed Mend It or The Palace That Was Found or any of the other great tunes in those games are bad tracks.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I'll fight anyone who says this isn't an epic theme fitting for the true finale of Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Also, It Doesn't Matter (SA1 version) is clearly the best vocal theme.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
That thread is full of sizzling hot takes, but there's also a lot more pushback than I expected from the commentary in here. Ain't worth getting bothered over.

Rurouni

Dec 25, 2017
I'm just over Sonic threads in the gaming side, a couple of the posts in one of the recent Adventure threads were bad enough already.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic comic is great, kind of hope they do a yearly crossover with Maniaverse, or Archie, or Sonic the comic (finally) at some point to mirror DC
But I know that's a fan dream

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Yeah, Beef! At least warn the poster who made the "pee with their pants down" comment.

Considered reporting that post but I couldn't figure out how to word a report about it. It's very clearly an insult towards people on the spectrum, which is a common thing to see when looking at Sonic threads by people who don't like Sonic. The person who posted that is usually okay in my book but there's still a lot of so-called progressive people that treat mentally challenged people as lesser-beings.

All these people get is a warning or a week-long ban so it doesn't matter anyways. They'll never learn or be punished properly.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic comic is great, kind of hope they do a yearly crossover with Maniaverse, or Archie, or Sonic the comic (finally) at some point to mirror DC
But I know that's a fan dream
I'm glad you like it. I"m kinda ok on it, but i'm sure it will get better

As far as crossovers go, I think you will have to settle with IDW brand crossovers.

Oct 28, 2017
Considered reporting that post but I couldn't figure out how to word a report about it. It's very clearly an insult towards people on the spectrum, which is a common thing to see when looking at Sonic threads by people who don't like Sonic. The person who posted that is usually okay in my book but there's still a lot of so-called progressive people that treat mentally challenged people as lesser-beings.

All these people get is a warning or a week-long ban so it doesn't matter anyways. They'll never learn or be punished properly.
Ableism or ableist, which I should have thought of reporting it as at the time. :P

To be clear, my earlier quip was pretty terribly thought out – publicly asking mods to warn or ban or notice particular posters' comments in other threads tends to lead to shit-flinging. So probably best not to talk about them further except in PMs – just use the report button. 👏

Anyhow, Merry Christ's (alleged) Birthday!

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the numerous crossovers that IDW does with DC, I REALLY want a Batman or Justice League crossover.

I need to see a page with Shadow and Jason Todd being edgy together.