• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tails is awesome but I REALLY want to see what they do with Knuckles.

Also I kinda hope Longclaw isn't dead. I liked the idea of her and would like to see it expanded.

Carrey was great as Eggman.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Watched this last night, went in with zero expectations, came out with a big smile on my face. I really liked it, it's probably the best videogame movie I've ever watched.

Jim Carrey absolutely stole the show, I loved his rendition of Robotnik and I was laughing my ass off at pretty much every one of his scenes.

The movie has its issues, but, considering it's a kids movie first and foremost, they're easy to overlook.

I was both a Sonic and Pokemon fanatic growing up, but this movie did a lot more to satisfy my inner Sonic fanboy than Detective Pikachu did with my inner Pokemon fanboy(in fact, DP was one of the worst movies I watched last year, if not the worst).

I wish that
Sonic went Super Sonic in the climax when he was revived, but they might be saving that for future sequels.

Can't wait for the sequel.

SenseiX

Oct 25, 2017
Went in blind and saw it yesterday. It was pretty good! Also that Sega logo was incredible. Never expected to see Kiryu or Welkin on the silver screen.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That was a lovely movie, I'm surpeised how wholesome it was. It actually made me excited about Sonic again!

The baseball field scene was just perfect.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Kids loved it, I didn't want to kill myself so that was pleasant. Jim Carry definitely stole the movie.

The mushroom kingdom thing was a sly dig at Mario, right? I didn't think about it until nephew started talking about how Sonic hates mushrooms because Mario loves them, which doesn't sound right but I dunno.

I hope they explore off Earth in sequels, I found the first 10 minutes really fascinating and want to see a lot more of that.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This movie was the inverse Rise of the Skywalker for me, where the second that I saw the opening crawl mentioning Palpatine I predisposed to hate the movie no matter what (and to be fair I was right) while on Sonic case I was more willing to take whatever crap they threw me with the movie when I watched the SEGA logo with all those classic games

ZeldaGalaxy94

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Sweden
Seen it now
It was good, but could have been more exciting!

Loved the slow-mo scenes, where Sonic seems to be faster than Chaos Control if he can do that much stuff in milleseconds!

With that "ending" I want more on Earth!

Compared to Detective Pikachu I would say it have a more kiddy story but better characters than DP

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
The mushroom kingdom thing was a sly dig at Mario, right? I didn't think about it until nephew started talking about how Sonic hates mushrooms because Mario loves them, which doesn't sound right but I dunno.

That's what I thought at first, but then they just kept referencing it and showed it, and there's a level in one of the games not dissimilar.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
That's what I thought at first, but then they just kept referencing it and showed it, and there's a level in one of the games not dissimilar.

I think it's a Mario reference unfortunately, and the Mushroom Hill is more of a coincidence... unless it turns out, in the sequel, that Mushroom "World" isn't totally desolate, it's a mostly empty island with one inhabitant: Knuckless.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the best thing I can say about this movie and sort of an understated reason why it works so surprisingly well is because of James Marsden.

A lot of praise has been levied at Sonic himself as well as Jim Carrey's performance but I almost feel like Marsden is the character who carries the whole thing and manages to make this setup not fall apart on itself. It's something which in retrospect I didn't like that much about Detective Pikachu; most of the actors really ejected me out of the experience with how much they were hamming it up, it felt like they didn't know how to act alongside creatures that'd be slotted in after the fact (something which you didn't really glean into from the trailers). But Marsden really made it work, so much so that I actually forgot during several pivotal scenes that he's basically performing with a prop.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
Went a caught Sonic yesterday for $5. I thought it was great, I enjoyed it more than Detective Pikachu which I also liked. I can't wait to see a sequel. Jim Carrey was great and Sonic looked like I expected. I also like the art style of the end credits, reminded me of the first Lego movie.

Oct 25, 2017
I wish that
Sonic went Super Sonic in the climax when he was revived, but they might be saving that for future sequels.
I agree in that I'm DYING to see that, but cramming in the lore of the 7 Chaos Emeralds and Super Sonic into this origin story would have been too much. I prefer they give all that a full film to properly flesh it out, along with Tails and Knuckles' introduction.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Hope they bring back the girlfriend's sister and child for the sequel, they got some of the biggest laughs in my theater.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
it's a mostly empty island with one inhabitant: Knuckless.
Is that Knuckles... but with less knuckles? 🤔

I think the best thing I can say about this movie and sort of an understated reason why it works so surprisingly well is because of James Marsden.

A lot of praise has been levied at Sonic himself as well as Jim Carrey's performance but I almost feel like Marsden is the character who carries the whole thing and manages to make this setup not fall apart on itself. It's something which in retrospect I didn't like that much about Detective Pikachu; most of the actors really ejected me out of the experience with how much they were hamming it up, it felt like they didn't know how to act alongside creatures that'd be slotted in after the fact (something which you didn't really glean into from the trailers). But Marsden really made it work, so much so that I actually forgot during several pivotal scenes that he's basically performing with a prop.

Yeah, Marsden's performance is severely underrated. Get another actor who phones it in and the movie wouldn't have worked as well. He really sells it.

Danicard

Oct 27, 2017
Enjoyed the movie much more than i thought i would. Jim Carrey was amazingly fun to watch. I hope they make the sequel soon :)

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So a detail about the opening I kinda noticed (spoilers for the whole movie)
assuming those are Echidnas attacking Sonic they seem to be fulfilling a very similar role that the Echidnas had in Sonic Adventure; in that game they get undone because of their quest for power, yearning for control over the Master Emerald and Chaos.

I wonder whether hunting for Sonic is an extension of that; it seems obvious that the angle they're going for is that Sonic is fueled by Chaos Energy (which in the games manifest by his ability to use Chaos Control and turn into Super Sonic). It's even implied in Adventure 2 that the "framework" of an Ultimate Lifeform is essentially Sonic himself.

Maybe that'll be delved into with Sonic 2. Long term it might be how they eventually bring Knuckles into the picture; he could end up being the last of his kind after his race gets wiped out in wanting to harness the power of the Chaos Emeralds. Wouldn't be surprised if the Emeralds have something to do with Tails seeking out Sonic. Who knows; could even be the impetus for Robotnik making Metal Sonic. And oh fuck I've gotten ahead of myself with speculation.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I had the biggest grin on my face during so many parts of this movie. It's clearly a labor of love from start to finish. When they started playing the music during the scene after the battle, I loved it.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
Just got back with my kids and...I kind of liked it? Frankly that surprised me. Marsden was great. Carrey was...Carrey, which is good.

It's funny, the first thing my son said when we left was that it was better than Detective Pikachu, which seems to be the consensus. Good on Sega for getting this right.

Also, those opening credits were joy itself.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
So, I have a question...
How come Sonic is acting like he's never seen Tom's dog before if he's been stalking that family for ten years now. Don't you think he would have noticed the dog at some point?

I know I shouldn't nitpick too much because it's a fun, kids film, but ya gotta admit that there's a fair amount of logic problems or plotholes in this movie.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Went to see it today and I'm honestly shook at how good it is, especially considering how it was revealed.

Didn't expect to but I like it more than Pikachu, it is both funnier and better with emotional scenes.

It's so wholesome, Sonic was really cute and Jim was amazing. Definitely excited for the sequel.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So, I have a question...
How come Sonic is acting like he's never seen Tom's dog before if he's been stalking that family for ten years now. Don't you think he would have noticed the dog at some point?

I know I shouldn't nitpick too much because it's a fun, kids film, but ya gotta admit that there's a fair amount of logic problems or plotholes in this movie.

He wasnt acting like he never saw him, he was referring to meeting him face to face, I think.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
When Robotnik randomly stops and says "Interesting" in Japanese complete with a subtitle for absolutely no reason and never speaks in Japanese again I just fucking died. It's not really funny out of context but it was so stupid that it actually wrapped around to become brilliant.

Was that Jim speaking when Robotnik spoke in Japanese? I was wondering if it was potentially who voices him in Japan.

Not only that!

Sonic 1 concept art (note the sun at the top):

3a0e503a66ded78007d022f9b5c53fef.png

SPOILER_510fu3vhl0h41.png
Is that South Island in the middle?

In the games, Sonic was part of the prophecy that the echidnas had about Chaos. Since they're a warrior tribe in this similarly to how they were in the games, I wonder if them being after Sonic had anything to do with that prophecy. I 100% believe that Robotnik's gonna cross Knuckles in the Mushroom Hill Zone and that's gonna set up Sonic 2: Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles

Yeah the Hidden Palace art is totally why they are after him.

Sonic could have easily found SF himself (we see him chucking rings to all of the world's landmarks- odds are he knew where the SF building was too)

Once again, he knows to throw the rings to extremely specific landmarks all over earth in the final act against Eggman, but can't find SF?

Sonic can only warp to those locations after having the rings (aka cant warp to SF) and once he has them back warps after seeing a image of where he goes (aka Paris truck)

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just had a scary thought.

What would Tails have looked like without Sonic being redesigned???

Has anyone done a mock up of that nightmare fuel?

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
tbf the "is Sonic eating pork" thing has been a staple of fan discussions for a while, to the point that Ken Penders (before he went crazy, apparently) had to clarify the chili dogs Sonic wolfs down are soy-based. It's just one of those things that maybe you shouldn't think about.

Ah, Thank you for that. I'm glad there are explanations of sorts out there. Although with it not being strictly stated especially in the new film I'm sure many are coming to similar conclusions that I was.

Also I was just playing Sonic Mania the other day which is a newer release than the original mega drive/genesis games and he is still saving pigs in that.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Ah, Thank you for that. I'm glad there are explanations of sorts out there. Although with it not being strictly stated especially in the new film I'm sure many are coming to similar conclusions that I was.

Also I was just playing Sonic Mania the other day which is a newer release than the original mega drive/genesis games and he is still saving pigs in that.
Well of course, where do you think he gets the ingredients?

Sonic's favorite food being chili dogs is a weird bit of Western lore that actually made it way into the games, but only much later. Sonic Unleashed was the first to mention it, and the opening cinematic for Sonic and the Black Knight shows Sonic with two of them.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
So a detail about the opening I kinda noticed (spoilers for the whole movie)
assuming those are Echidnas attacking Sonic they seem to be fulfilling a very similar role that the Echidnas had in Sonic Adventure; in that game they get undone because of their quest for power, yearning for control over the Master Emerald and Chaos.

I wonder whether hunting for Sonic is an extension of that; it seems obvious that the angle they're going for is that Sonic is fueled by Chaos Energy (which in the games manifest by his ability to use Chaos Control and turn into Super Sonic). It's even implied in Adventure 2 that the "framework" of an Ultimate Lifeform is essentially Sonic himself.

Maybe that'll be delved into with Sonic 2. Long term it might be how they eventually bring Knuckles into the picture; he could end up being the last of his kind after his race gets wiped out in wanting to harness the power of the Chaos Emeralds. Wouldn't be surprised if the Emeralds have something to do with Tails seeking out Sonic. Who knows; could even be the impetus for Robotnik making Metal Sonic. And oh fuck I've gotten ahead of myself with speculation.

And I think all that credit goes to Tyson Hesse who has indicated on the Sonic Retro forum that he changed the attackers to the Echidna Tribe... I think maybe originally they were monkeys.

But yeah, I love how easily that detail fits into what we already know about the Echidnas and Sonic's "power" from the games lore.

It also kinda supports the Hidden Palace mural that prophesies Super Sonic's involvement with the Master Emerald in S3&K... the Echidnas knew about Sonic as the Ultimate Life Form, not in those terms, but they could sense his Chaos Energy.

Echidnas seem to have a special sixth sense for Chaos Energy... Knuckles, Tikal, and the Tribe are all deeply connected to the M.E. and can intuitively sense emeralds/chaos power.

It'd make sense for the sequel to introduce Knuckles, as the last of his tribe, and the Chaos Emeralds at the same time, with the pay-off being Sonic's transformation into Super Sonic to save the Master Emerald for Knuckles from Robotnik.

Add in the subplot of Amy Rose being kidnapped by Metal Sonic for Robotnik because she has a Chaos Emerald, and Tails saving her to become a hero in his own right. Then together with Knuckles they take down Metal Sonic, while Super Sonic chases Robotnik in space for the Master Emerald.

Then you tease the idea of Robotnik's grandfather having been involved with secret projects for the US government, and that this was itself a pursuit for Sonic as the ULF before Sonic himself was born, with the payoff being setting up Shadow, Rogue, and Ultimate Chaos for Sonic 3.

Last edited:

PlatStrat

Oct 27, 2017
I agree in that I'm DYING to see that, but cramming in the lore of the 7 Chaos Emeralds and Super Sonic into this origin story would have been too much. I prefer they give all that a full film to properly flesh it out, along with Tails and Knuckles' introduction.
They could have easily introduced the 7 chaos emeralds and Super Sonic but that probably would have meant going in a different direction. I was thinking about this a few days ago and I kinda wish they went with a different origin story:
Robotnik is still a scientist but hasn't gone crazy
His main study of work is on the chaos emeralds and how he can harness their power but he does a lot of his testing on animals inhumanely
When he's testing out one of the emeralds his experiment goes wrong and it zaps a hedgehog turning him blue (the color of one of the emeralds) and giving him the ability to move at supersonic speeds
Robotnik does further experiments on the hedgehog and he becomes bipedal and intelligent enough to speak
Sonic leaves once he is smart enough to realize what Robotnik is doing to the rest of the animals
Tries to find the rest of the chaos emeralds so that Robotnik can't continue his experiments
Enter the cop character who helps Sonic find the rest of the emeralds
End of the movie Sonic defeats Robotnik by using all 7 emeralds to turn Super
End credits shows one other creature that Robotnik gave intelligence to, a child like fox with two tails
Sequel introduces the Echidna tribe, the Master Emerald, and Knuckles

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They could have easily introduced the 7 chaos emeralds and Super Sonic but that probably would have meant going in a different direction. I was thinking about this a few days ago and I kinda wish they went with a different origin story:
His main study of work is on the chaos emeralds and how he can harness their power but he does a lot of his testing on animals inhumanely
When he's testing out one of the emeralds his experiment goes wrong and it zaps a hedgehog turning him blue (the color of one of the emeralds) and giving him the ability to move at supersonic speeds
Robotnik does further experiments on the hedgehog and he becomes bipedal and intelligent enough to speak
Sonic leaves once he is smart enough to realize what Robotnik is doing to the rest of the animals
Tries to find the rest of the chaos emeralds so that Robotnik can't continue his experiments
End credits shows one other creature that Robotnik gave intelligence to, a child like fox with two tails
This def reads like a bad Hollywood script.

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Meh, it was ok. The plot is generic, it's not very funny or very exciting, and just comes as a mediocre movie overall. Jim Carrey was the highlight, and I thought Ben Schwartz gave a great performance, but everything else was so average that I was bored through most of it.

Still, that's better than any of us were expecting after the first trailer.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I know the whole rescuing small animals from robots isn't really in the movie but were the emeralds?
Its weird seeing Sonic depicted as perceiving time as frozen still, like hes a looney tunes character or something.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Enjoyed quite a bit, and this was actually already being hyped for it since the revision. Pre-Revision I felt it was still alright minus the look of Sonic.

My main gripe with the movie is the CG on Sonic looks unfinished at times. Especially in San Francisco.

Sequel hype is too good though. It's like Avengers Initiative/Nick Fury hype, I swear.

Overall, liked it. And liked it lots, lots more than Pikachu.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And the script we got was Hollywood gold? At least what I wrote would be an actual attempt to resemble the video games instead of being a generic buddy kids movie.

Sonic, Tails and all the other humanoid animals weren't created by Eggman and lIMO that only removes it further from the video games.

The movie did a good job of explaining why Eggman becomes obsessed with Sonic and the movie still makes sense within the games' canon.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And the script we got was Hollywood gold? At least what I wrote would be an actual attempt to resemble the video games instead of being a generic buddy kids movie.

It was pretty good as far as Hollywood scripts go. Not rich in plot but very well structured and focused on the parts of the story that are actually important.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I know the whole rescuing small animals from robots isn't really in the movie but were the emeralds?
Its weird seeing Sonic depicted as perceiving time as frozen still, like hes a looney tunes character or something.

No emeralds. Sonic does rescue a small animal in the beginning, rescuing a turtle crossing the the road. Robotnik doesn't use animals to power robots, except for the power he extracts from Sonic's quill.

The frozen time thing could be called Chaos Control imo, could be retconned to be so by a sequel. It's meant to just be his speed... it plays exactly like the Quicksilver scenes in X-Men: First Class. He's kind of more like The Flash and has almost a speed force / electric kind of power he can tap into... it's a bit of a cheat maybe, a bit cartoonish but it works.

Even though I'd say Sonic's thing should be more about that he can roll into a ball of spikes really fast, and can bounce around like a spiny pinball at quick speeds... the few times he does roll into a spin attack or ball in the laundry look great.

I can't remember if he ever taps his foot and looks to camera...? You'd think so, in SF on the rooftop maybe, but I can't recall. In the credits/music video, the sprite Sonic does, but I don't remember if Movie Sonic does the foot tap / 4th wall glance.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
This might be a line for some people but I wouldn't mind if there was some twist to Sonic being tied into the Ultimate Life Form project. I feel like the "whoa Sonic looks just like Shadow whoAAAAooooAAAAooooAAAA" fixation from Sonic Adventure 2 was never meaningfully addressed.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

With original design Sonic, this is two little changes away from being top 5 horror movie ever made.

This might be a line for some people but I wouldn't mind if there was some twist to Sonic being tied into the Ultimate Life Form project. I feel like the "whoa Sonic looks just like Shadow whoAAAAooooAAAAooooAAAA" fixation from Sonic Adventure 2 was never meaningfully addressed.

Hell no.

Just say whatever ancestor Sonic had was used as template to make Shadow.

Oct 25, 2017
Simply shoehorning in as much videogame canon as possible into a film doesn't automatically make it good. It may actually backfire, as it would scare away general audiences that aren't familiar with any of the expanded characters and lore (yes, that includes the Chaos Emeralds/Amy/Metal/etc.)

Remember that the goal of movies like these is to provide a basic premise with the main character to be as far reaching as possible to create new fans. For these reasons, the plot may lean more "generic", but if successful (as Sonic was), they've now lured a new audience into a state where they can properly digest additional details of the world and characters in a sequel.

Now that we have Sonic's origin defined with a very solid foundation, a proper sequel can fully dedicate itself to fleshing out aspects like Super Sonic, "True" Eggman, Tails/Knuckles and more, without the additional weight of developing Sonic's origin story. Do one thing well, not a bunch of things half-assed.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

"Eggman created Sonic" was a kinda cool backstory when Sonic 1 was the only game to worry about, but with so many characters now it just wouldn't work unless you want to retcon every intelligent bipedal Sonic character as having come from Eggman's experiments. I mean, even in your hypothetical script it's not consistent, Sonic and Tails are given powers and intelligence through experiments but then Knuckles and a whole echidna tribe apparently already exist? I think they made the smarter choice by just having Sonic come from another world like the games.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't like that. The reason it wasn't addressed is because shadow's design original was just purple sonic with scars. Legit. So when the design was made better it changed so much that I guess they didn't bother changing the script and it became a meme. There's no need to try and actually incorporate the two, even the games took the one implication that they might be incorporated and threw it out the window. The two are separate entities with separate backgrounds and that's cool. If they ever get to shadow in film, all he has to be is some ancient hedgehog sealed underground. Or the government found him, his greivences toward the world and mental manipulation work while making his backstory leagues less complicated

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
And I think all that credit goes to Tyson Hesse who has indicated on the Sonic Retro forum that he changed the attackers to the Echidna Tribe... I think maybe originally they were monkeys.

But yeah, I love how easily that detail fits into what we already know about the Echidnas and Sonic's "power" from the games lore.

It also kinda supports the Hidden Palace mural that prophesies Super Sonic's involvement with the Master Emerald in S3&K... the Echidnas knew about Sonic as the Ultimate Life Form, not in those terms, but they could sense his Chaos Energy.

Echidnas seem to have a special sixth sense for Chaos Energy... Knuckles, Tikal, and the Tribe are all deeply connected to the M.E. and can intuitively sense emeralds/chaos power.

It'd make sense for the sequel to introduce Knuckles, as the last of his tribe, and the Chaos Emeralds at the same time, with the pay-off being Sonic's transformation into Super Sonic to save the Master Emerald for Knuckles from Robotnik.

Add in the subplot of Amy Rose being kidnapped by Metal Sonic for Robotnik because she has a Chaos Emerald, and Tails saving her to become a hero in his own right. Then together with Knuckles they take down Metal Sonic, while Super Sonic chases Robotnik in space for the Master Emerald.

Then you tease the idea of Robotnik's grandfather having been involved with secret projects for the US government, and that this was itself a pursuit for Sonic as the ULF before Sonic himself was born, with the payoff being setting up Shadow, Rogue, and Ultimate Chaos for Sonic 3.

I think it would be a nice twist if it was revealed that
Knuckles was the one that shot Longclaw down. It was a red-furred echidna with spiked gloves after all.
This could lead to a huge fight between Sonic and Knuckles and Knuckles going through a redemption arc.

I want this series to stay the hell away from Shadow and Rouge. I don't need Mr. "Artificial Edge" and his big-boobed partner.

IronicSonic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Simply shoehorning in as much videogame canon as possible into a film doesn't automatically make it good.
Thank you. Sonic Era just want to cram 30 years of (crazy) Sonic plot into one movie. That's insane.

I hope Fowler keep the things simple in the second movie:

Eggman finds the way to come back
Eggman looking for his resources on Earth
Eggman somehow got in touch with Echidna tribe and learn about Master Emerald
Tails and Sonic go and try to stop Eggman on Mushroom Hill
They fail because of Echidna tribe/Knuckles get in the middle
On Earth, Sonic and Tails get help from Tom
Sonic, Tails and Tom defeat Knuckles
Eggman take his resources back
He escapes to another dimension to seize Master Emerald
END.

AimLow

Dec 10, 2017
Wow, certified fresh. Definitely a reversal of narrative that hung around the movie in the not too distant past.