• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loved it. Better then all of Disney's try hard output this year (except Aladdin). It's 100% a kids movie, but a solid one. It doesn't take itself seriously. Carrey hammed it up to the perfect amount. The plot is paper thin but that's ok imo. I find it funny about the product placement complaints but the
Olive Garden end joke
got one of the bigger laughs in my theater. I think this is a good example of people digging too deep into their reviews.
HOLY SHIT at the Sanic picture, whoever put that in deserves a raise.
Every easter egg in the movie was perfect.

It was a good watch, not a classic, probably won't even see it again, but i'll be there for a sequel.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
if they ever make a sequel

it needs to be about the chaos emeralds

and I don't know through what sorcery but the trailer needs to open up in the white house

and they need to get Obama

B'z-chan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a bit miffed Sonic says he's a southpaw then proceeds to write with his right hand. But besides that little bit that movie was great. Could have done with some better music towards the end, it was near perfect in the beginning. Can't wait for a sequel!

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
As far as a kids movie goes, you could do worse. I chuckled a few times. Enjoyed the manic Jim Carrey performance.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Just watched it with the GF and kids.

It was a fun, standard kids movie elevated by the fact that I like Sonic and the fan service was good.

If you don't care for Sonic stay away, there's little for you in this movie. Personally, I had a great time.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I gotta say from the first poster with Sonic's human legs, to the incredibly bad Sonic reveal, to all the crappy trailers, I had absolutely no expectations for this movie. Even with the solid reviews I went in thinking whatever it'll be nostalgic and 10 year old me would be freaking out... But god damn what a fun movie. The writing is definitely not great and a ton of the jokes fall flat, but the character Sonic himself is just so much fun and robotnik is Jim's best comedic performance in forever. As a fan service it's one of the best as well. If you were ever a big Sonic fan I think you're going to find something to love about this movie.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Watched it with family earlier today--as I expected, it wasn't the greatest thing ever, but I thoroughly enjoyed my viewing of it: Sonic himself was given a surprising amount of character depth I haven't seen since forever; all the little easter eggs consistently had me grinning like a buffoon; I think Ben Schwartz has surpassed Roger C. Smith as my current favorite voice for Sonic; and of course Jim Carrey was one of the best parts of the movie.

Glad I avoided spoilers, the echidnas were a great surprise (given that I thought Sega was done with them), and the kids in the theater were all hyped for Tails.

Sincerely hope that a sequel is greenlit--there are so many ways the story could go it kinda excites me.

Last edited:

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
I actually had a lot of fun watching this. Sonic was cool and Carrey was great. Overall awesome family movie and if you like Sonic you'll be pleasantly surprised.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
My theater was relatively full and I don't think I heard a single person make even the slightest bit of noise other than a baby that started crying at the end. Not a single laugh. And absolutely no reaction to the mid credits scene. This big group of people left before the credits even STARTED.
Also, I feel super off put by Tails having his voice from the game when Sonic doesn't.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
My theater was relatively full and I don't think I heard a single person make even the slightest bit of noise other than a baby that started crying at the end. Not a single laugh. And absolutely no reaction to the mid credits scene. This big group of people left before the credits even STARTED.

Haha that's crazy. Actually my theater was fairly quiet up until one scene
the Jim Carrey dance scene
it seemed like it livened the theater up. The
tails reveal was probably the most hyped I've heard a theater in years

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
It's just best to not think about it. Sonic's quicksilver-like powers would completely break most of the movie if he always deployed them. It became especially obvious upon a 2nd viewing where he could have used them to escape any number of seemingly problematic scenarios without them.

Yeah this happens over and over in the movie in particular
when they take the elevator to the top of the building lol.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's kind of funny how lazy they are with the "Sonic must be secret" thing, like I'm imagining some of the Toy Story analysts would be absolutely frothing at the mouth here. There's some random scene where Sonic literally is just standing out in the open on a city street chatting with the actors, it's pretty funny.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Overall, movie was fine, standard kids stuff. If I was a kid and it wasn't connected to Sonic, I probably would have liked it a lot; if it was still a Sonic movie, I would have nitpicked the hell out of it as a kid.
Things that stood out:
* That owl mother for Sonic was definitely meant to match his old design
* WTF why are there so many echidnas, and why are they hunting Sonic?
* Electric powers are still weird for Sonic
* Sonic's speed is really inconsistent
* I actually did like the relationship between Sonic and the good humans
* The entire military thing works out in overly convenient ways
* First post-credits scene shows Robotnik talking about how he'll get back by Christmas, and they don't hint at the Chaos Emeralds? C'mon
* Checked the first trailer, with the bad Sonic design, and lots of stuff was left out. I assume from reanimating everything.
* Oh and they included the Sanic image, as something drawn by a crazy farmer to show Sonic exists

mrjohill

Oct 25, 2017
Early Movies Spoilers
Man when the Echidnas showed up trying to kill Sonic the person next to me got super hype

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
CE9133F722303C99473798FD83D289472BD7C0A6

cmagus

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed the film, it's mostly what you expect but it was fun overall. I kind of liked how even though it was certainly geared towards kids they didn't completely dumb it down. The audience I was in was mostly adults like maybe 90% and they were all into it. The movie had some really nice easter eggs for fans of the games and in general Sonic was really likeable in fact most of the cast was really good. Jim Carrey was good and it was nice to see him kind of in his old form he certainly seemed like he had fun doing it.

The
Sanic thing had the audience going crazy
and the
Tails reveal literally had the entire audience cheering and clapping when the credits were rolling

It was a fun experience and I enjoyed myself.

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it for what it was, which is a mostly charming inoffensive family movie. Chuckled a few times.

I really really hope we get to see the Nightmare first version of Tails at some point.

DubleDuce

Jan 15, 2018
I was actually surprised at how much I enjoyed James Marsden in this movie.

A grounded but likable performance. He was a great straight man to all the hyjinx happening around him.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Saw this after being a longtime Sonic fan (not of everything just mean starting with the original Sega games), and so had to see what they finally did with his first film. I remember thinking there would surely be one in the 90s with the help of Jim Henson but it never came.

It was alright, and good to see Jim Carrey acting like his 90s movie self again. Although I feel like it was somewhat of a retread for James Marsden where he had another animal buddy in the film Hop.

Anyway it kind of reminded me of ALF with how they're both aliens from another planet, hiding out on earth with humans in their house while the government wishes to locate the alien.

I do wish it conveyed more of a message about looking after animals and the environment though as I felt it was there in the original games but there wasn't much in this apart from when he saved the tortoise.

There is a concept I find a bit conflicting with some Sonic media and is again shown in this film. In the original games he saves pigs and other animals, yet this movie (and some other media) has him eat chili dogs. Are we to assume these are a meat alternative of sorts or that he actually he isnt saving the pigs from Robotnik but taking them for his own slaughtering purposes? I tend to think whoever first gave him chili dogs didn't think that far into it (probably wasnt aware he even saves pigs), but I'm surprised someone hasnt picked up on the conflicting issue and done something about it to explain it better. I guess one good thing about it here is that he was shown to do it on earth and so it didn't suggest he had a slaughterhouse back on his own planet.

Anyway, I can see this movie possibly working as a prequel to the original games, as after this for whatever reason he goes back to his home planet and since leaving earth Robotnik has really started building structures of all sorts, polluting his world and enslaving Sonics friends.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
I wanna take my wife to see it because she's a huge Sonic fan. My question for you:

How drunk do we need to be to get even remote enjoyment out of it?

I was lightly buzzed and found it to be pretty enjoyable. Girlfriend was plastered, not really a sonic or video game fan, and was laughing pretty hard for most of the first 5 minutes nonstop.

Fintendo

Jun 5, 2019
Liked the film, definitely more memorable than DP. Surprised by some of the references, acting was good by Marsden, Carrey and Schwartz.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Pretty charming overall if not very deep. The showing we wanted to go to was packed so we took the second one. Wife loved it. I'm looking forward to getting the blu-ray. Great casting. Interesting commentary on the military-industrial complex. Also I want all the breadsticks now

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, it actually was a lot of fun and even sweet at times. Jim Carrey steals the show, but Ben Schwartz worked really well as Sonic's voice. It's a basic story with a fair share of suspension-of-disbelief moments, but the fun, pace and energy of the film outweigh the negatives.

The possibilities are wide open with a sequel, and the coolest stuff is yet to come, fingers crossed that we get one. This was a great live-action origin story.

Also decisively better than Detective Pikachu, although that movie's world building was naturally more creative.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watched this today in a cinema pack full off kids - not a pleasant experience but I was expecting that.

The movie was actually decent? Certainly nothing special, but as far as these sorts of movies go - I thought it was pretty good. I think they handled the video game adaption pretty well, in that there were enough references to keep me smiling but it wasn't overdone to a point that it would alienate people.

I was primarily interested due to Jim Carrey and he absolutely carried the film for me. I didn't realize how much I missed 90s Carrey so to see him in that style had me grinning from ear to ear.

Action was pretty good and I thought Robotniks machines were well designed - particularly the red lens effect. Music was pretty forgettable though I did really like their version of Green Hill Zone later in the film.

After credits scenes were surprisingly good too.

Overall I'm pretty impressed. The Sonic movie should have been a complete disaster given the way Sega have generally approached the franchise. I'll watch the sequel.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad someone else thought Carrey sounded like Pollock in that sequence. At the time I didn't know if the costume was playing tricks on my brain or what. Carrey was amazing in that scene.
He was doing it in spurts throughout the film. Hitting lines more like his in game counter part. I suspect Carrey did a bit of research and was trying to smooth out the transition a bit.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The best thing with this movie is that the opening and mid credits scene actually made you excited to watch the lore in the sonic cinematic universe getting expanded

If werent for those this movie should have been a one and done deal

Dario

Oct 27, 2017
Very mediocre to be honest, and I didn't really have any expectations to begin with. Detective Pikachu does a much better job when it comes to actually using the source material. A lot of the jokes fell flat for me as well.

However, when comparing to the first trailer, I'm curious as to what happened to Sonic saying he has to "save the whole planet". That sounds like a pretty significant change to the plot happened after the redesign, but it seems the rest of the scenes were the same.

mancan

Banned
Mar 29, 2018
Had soo much fun with this movie. Can't believe I enjoyed a sonic movie this much. Jim Carey was awesome

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Very mediocre to be honest, and I didn't really have any expectations to begin with. Detective Pikachu does a much better job when it comes to actually using the source material. A lot of the jokes fell flat for me as well.

However, when comparing to the first trailer, I'm curious as to what happened to Sonic saying he has to "save the whole planet". That sounds like a pretty significant change to the plot happened after the redesign, but it seems the rest of the scenes were the same.
Probably still dealing with Eggman taking one of Sonic's quills but potentially harnessing its power for worse deeds rather than using it to capture Sonic or something along those lines.

But disagreed on the first part. Mostly because referencing the source material seems like a weird bar for judging the quality as a movie. The acting and humor hit far better with this movie than Detective Pikachu. Ryan Reynolds was great, but the rest of the cast felt pretty meh. The only way I even see Detective Pikachu even using its source material better is the establishment of the feeling of a lived in Pokemon world, but they don't do a lot with the bulk of them.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I saw this reaction to the post-credits scene on Youtube, it's pretty wild how nuts people have been going over it.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
I enjoyed Detective Pikachu's integration of the game with the story to create a lived-in world, but by the end I thought that was wayyy to dark, dour and focused on the wrong unfun things. All the predictable sentimental moments lacked a lot of impact for me as well. You could really tell it was a Legendary Pictures production.

This movie was actually fun, and the references to the games were peppered in cleverly besides the chili dog moment. Despite the basic story structure here, the Sonic character shines through. It gets you excited for the future and leaves hope that the next film will not be so generic. I didn't see any future with that Pokemon film. If you like Sonic you'll like this movie.

This is The Avengers to Detective Pikachu's Batman v Superman

Dario

Oct 27, 2017
But disagreed on the first part. Mostly because referencing the source material seems like a weird bar for judging the quality as a movie.
It has Sonic the Hedgehog in the title? I don't feel it's weird to analyze how much they took advantage of the IP they went out to license and invest so much money on. If I were to judge it by the quality as a movie it would do much worse for being a generic Hollywood film in a generic American setting...

They did about the best they could with the constraints the producers placed on them.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

A lot of trailers use b-roll dialogue to make trailers more interesting. Based on what we knew of the plot day one I'm assuming that was never going to be in the final cut, but "save the whole planet" implies higher stakes.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It has Sonic the Hedgehog in the title? I don't feel it's weird to analyze how much they took advantage of the IP they went out to license and invest so much money on. If I were to judge it by the quality as a movie it would do much worse for being a generic Hollywood film in a generic American setting...

They did about the best they could with the constraints the producers placed on them.
Then that only makes it weirder to see you praise Detective Pikachu over this if you thought this Movie was generic lol

The Sonic movie is inherently less tied to the canon as it's taking place in the real world. It doesn't have the liberty of Pokemon of already taking place in a setting with real people so it was always going to be a much different transition for live action. For Sonic, the IP is clearly there from literally the first few seconds of the movie, and references throughout.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Then that only makes it weirder to see you praise Detective Pikachu over this if you thought this Movie was generic lol

The Sonic movie is inherently less tied to the canon as it's taking place in the real world. It doesn't have the liberty of Pokemon of already taking place in a setting with real people so it was always going to be a much different transition for live action. For Sonic, the IP is clearly there from literally the first few seconds of the movie, and references throughout.
...You realize sonic and friends have been to the real world multiple times in games right?

Like you played sa1 or 2? Or unleashed?

Oct 28, 2017
I saw this reaction to the post-credits scene on Youtube, it's pretty wild how nuts people have been going over it.

Seriously is it normal for American crowds to make noise like this at the cinema? I have never experienced anything like this for any movie in the UK. It's not socially acceptable to make noise when seeing a movie. Like, a laugh here and there or a polite clap at the end if it's particularly spectacular is what you get.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously is it normal for American crowds to make noise like this at the cinema? I have never experienced anything like this for any movie in the UK. It's not socially acceptable to make noise when seeing a movie. Like, a laugh here and there or a polite clap at the end if it's particularly spectacular is what you get.

I guess it depends what theater you go to and when you go. Only time I've ever experienced that level of uproar was when I went to the opening night of Iron Man and the screening was packed with extremely enthusiastic comic book nerds. I don't live in a particularly bustling area though.